Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone messing around with mardu pyromancer in this brave new modern world? All the hype got taken out of its sails almost immediately thanks to the unbans and I’m curious what a list looks like these days.

It’s still as good as ever and lines up insanely well against Jace decks thanks to Souls.

As a Bant Knightfall player it feels like the one deck I have no out to and it’s disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone messing around with mardu pyromancer in this brave new modern world? All the hype got taken out of its sails almost immediately thanks to the unbans and I’m curious what a list looks like these days.

It's built to out Jund Jund and Jace is a four drop that doesn't line up well against bolt, young pyro, lingering souls, or dreadbore. The only thing that hurts the deck right now is Affinity being less favorable in the meta and that's a drat near free-roll matchup.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
When I got back into Magic 4 years ago I bought a bunch of crap lots on ebay which would be a handful of alpha / legends cards and some filler for $20ish.

A lot of those Alpha cards are now things I can buylist for real money (ex: Flashfires, $12). The priciest one I've dug out so far is a Black Night which is basically NM and which I immediately sleeved and am not going to sell at this time.

I started a buylist order because I'm house-poor and want to get a set of M25 Chalices & SSGs so I can build annoying troll decks. I'm at about $600 in stuff committed to send (well, 700, but I'm assuming I'll get hit to some extent on grading). I might just throw the rest at a USea or Tundra, since those are the duals I am still missing.

I think I'm about out of crap to buylist, though. Probably could do one more pull of everything that's over a nickel and get another few hundred, but that sounds like a lot of effort.

What I keep telling myself is that if I ever want to cash out completely, having consolidated large numbers of cards into smaller numbers of staples and RL cards is going to make that easier.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The easier way to cash out would be to take the cash now so you're not taking a hit 3 times by the time you end up with the money.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

suicidesteve posted:

The easier way to cash out would be to take the cash now so you're not taking a hit 3 times by the time you end up with the money.

Absolutely. This is more about sustaining the high, than seeking help.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Check out the latest SCG tourney, there's a 4 color pyro deck that's sweet as hell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pontius Pilate posted:

One of the regulars at my store was playing it before he moved. He said he liked it but also that it was really challenging to play well. I also completely dunked on him with Mill so watch out if people at your store play that :v:

I really want to build it but Blackcleave Cliffs doubled in price right before I was about to buy them. I have everything else and want a deck where I can potentially cast Lightning Helix :(

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
help what have I done

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

myDad posted:

help what have I done

that seems like a lot of work to cast hymn to tourach in modern. i also dont think i'd play a death's shadow deck without either path, stubborn denial, or battle rage. i want it to work, tho

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that seems like a lot of work to cast hymn to tourach in modern. i also dont think i'd play a death's shadow deck without either path, stubborn denial, or battle rage. i want it to work, tho

agreed on both counts, I want whispers to be good but it's just not (kommand is the good 2-for-1 and whispers is a terrible topdeck)

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Would that card work better in something like a Smallpox deck?

I have been kicking around ideas for a Bw version, but I don't have Liliana of the Veil so I don't know if Smallpox is worth playing without her.

On second thought, KCommand or even Blightning are probably better.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 16, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

myDad posted:

help what have I done

How often have you gotten to Hymn on T2?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

GoutPatrol posted:

How often have you gotten to Hymn on T2?

not enough, I was just throwing cards around a test environment

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am taking this Tribal Flames Zoo list to FNM this weekend. How hosed am I against the Jund and combo machines?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Jund should be a totally fine matchup. You have some game against combo decks where removal is live (storm, devoted druid decks) but things like ad nauseam or grishoalbrand are going to be really rough.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what are the lingering souls for?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Trying out GW Hatebears and felt like a dick here:

What it doesn't show is that the opponent accidentally used a Wooded Foothills before realizing the leonin was on the battlefield...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How borked am I if I try to run Mardu Pyromancer without Blackcleave Cliffs? I keep seeing lists where I have everything except the Cliffs but I'm not keen on buying them at their peak. For example in this list that came through MTGGoldfish today-

2 Arid Mesa
4 Bedlam Reveler
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
2 Blood Moon
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Dreadbore
4 Faithless Looting
1 Fatal Push
2 Forked Bolt
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
4 Lingering Souls
2 Marsh Flats
2 Mountain
1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Swamp
1 Terminate
3 Thoughtseize
4 Young Pyromancer
//sideboard
1 Blood Moon
1 Fatal Push
2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Molten Rain
1 Nahiri, the Harbinger
2 Pithing Needle
1 Thoughtseize
1 Wear // Tear

I have another Blood Crypt and 1-2 extra Marsh Flats I could put in, and then fill in the gaps with basic Mountains/Swamps. Would that be playable enough to at least determine whether or not I like the deck?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
You'll take a little more damage, but the deck doesn't need fastlands to function. I've been testing it out a bit online & Reveler is a great card at its peak. Definitely give it a shot at FNM or something for fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Yoked posted:

Trying out GW Hatebears and felt like a dick here:

What it doesn't show is that the opponent accidentally used a Wooded Foothills before realizing the leonin was on the battlefield...

Don't eeeever feel bad about this. Arbiter is secretly amazing on modo. Even then, at comp REL I've called people on cracking fetches without paying the 2 first.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

what are the lingering souls for?

The Jund and other grindy deck matchup

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Jund and other grindy deck matchup

Also good vs death's shadow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How dead and bad is Reanimator in a DRS-dominated Legacy? I put together a kind of gimmicky mono-black Reanimator list a while back that's gotten a lot more expensive since completion but I've had zero chances to play it since then. I was going to put it all up for trade, but as you'd expect half the deck can slot into an established Reanimator shell like BR. Is Reanimator a viable-enough strategy to merit hanging onto some key pieces for a rainy day, or should I just offload it all?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

How dead and bad is Reanimator in a DRS-dominated Legacy?

I'm going to preempt please-find-another-loving-hobby-suicidesteve and say, "Dead and bad."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's bad but mostly because people have gone to BR instead of an actual good deck. Granted, they did that because turn 1 Deathrite is 1 of 2 good turn 1 plays in the format (and turn 1 Chalice which UB also can't beat is the other.)

More importantly it's super boring and does the same thing every game. If that's your thing, wait until they ban DRS (never) and buy $1500 worth of Underground Seas and Forces and you're good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

How dead and bad is Reanimator in a DRS-dominated Legacy? I put together a kind of gimmicky mono-black Reanimator list a while back that's gotten a lot more expensive since completion but I've had zero chances to play it since then. I was going to put it all up for trade, but as you'd expect half the deck can slot into an established Reanimator shell like BR. Is Reanimator a viable-enough strategy to merit hanging onto some key pieces for a rainy day, or should I just offload it all?

is it the monoblack dark depths reanimator deck? because that deck is good (worse than anything with deathrite shaman in it but still fun and good)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

is it the monoblack dark depths reanimator deck? because that deck is good (worse than anything with deathrite shaman in it but still fun and good)

Nah it's like a Reanimator shell with a bunch of discard to protect the combo. Shout-out to goon Trilas who came up with the list-

2 Lake of the Dead
18 Swamp
2 Animate Dead
1 Ashen Rider
1 Buried Alive
4 Collective Brutality
4 Dark Ritual
2 Duress
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
4 Entomb
2 Exhume
4 Grave Titan
1 Griselbrand
3 Hymn to Tourach
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
2 Liliana of the Veil (was Smallpox but I had Lilis anyway)
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
//Sideboard
2 Dread of Night
3 Helm of Obedience
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Massacre
3 Pithing Needle
2 Ratchet Bomb

I did see that Dark Depths Reanimator list once upon a time and had forgotten about it. Unfortunately the only Legacy night around here is on my favorite gym night, and the only friend I have that plays Legacy is moving in June so I don't see myself getting into it any time soon :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Finally put it all together for GP Seattle, it'll be good to play legacy again

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

Finally put it all together for GP Seattle, it'll be good to play legacy again

You monster

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

EvilBeard posted:

You monster

What's really monstrous is the price on foil crop rotations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

extremely triggered by those berserks. I will post my extremely bad deck later

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

extremely triggered by those berserks. I will post my extremely bad deck later

I bought them when the FTVs were half the price of unlimited berserks, but CN2 hadn't yet come out to bring the overall price down. So I ended up still paying too much for the worst version.
:sad:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

What's really monstrous is the price on foil crop rotations.

Lands Supremacy

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Playing against Lantern is the most unfun poo poo on MTGO. Luckily I was going to win no matter what because they had 1:30 remaining, but topdecking a Flickerwisp against a single Ensnaring Bridge felt good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
WRT the Whispers meme I posted the other day, Jeff Hoogland just 5-0'd a league with BUG Death's Shadow featuring 3 Whispers of Emrakul in the main (without dropping a game)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Typhus733 posted:

It's built to out Jund Jund and Jace is a four drop that doesn't line up well against bolt, young pyro, lingering souls, or dreadbore. The only thing that hurts the deck right now is Affinity being less favorable in the meta and that's a drat near free-roll matchup.

My LGSs seem to be full of expensive spike decks like Jund (including me), BG midrange, and UW/Jeskai control. I have the stuff for Mardu Pyromancer and enjoy grind decks AND lingering souls - think this is the right meta choice?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Mardu Pyromancer struggles against Tron preboard (and sometimes itself)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

myDad posted:

Yeah, but that's a problem for nearly any non-aggro deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

myDad posted:

Are there other decks it has a bad matchup against?

Because if you’re a fair deck you sort of just throw up your hands against Tron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are there other decks it has a bad matchup against?

Because if you’re a fair deck you sort of just throw up your hands against Tron

You can end up with the wrong answers (like a bunch of dead removal against control instead of proactive disruption) and delay your Revelers until it's too late, so it doesn't necessarily have bad matches against control, but it's much better in creature-based grindfests.