Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Lol all you want. 65 million people voted and very area specific results decided the election.

I too think that the amount of votes I can gather in California matters at all in the grand scale of things. The smaller states don't matter at all, because no one cares about electoral votes. After all, it's all about that vote count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really understand how you read that as a comment on you.

To be honest I found it nearly incomprehensible and focused on the last part about patronizing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xae posted:

To be honest I found it nearly incomprehensible and I was taking a guess at you calling me patronizing.

I like to think this has taught you a valuable lesson about assumptions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Let's start with what you mean by suppress. Or maybe we can be less hyperbolic

You know I think you should probably work on your own posts before you say that to anyone else.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheRat posted:

I too think that the amount of votes I can gather in California matters at all in the grand scale of things. The smaller states don't matter at all, because no one cares about electoral votes. After all, it's all about that vote count.

What a zinger, we use the electoral college! Wow! No one ever thought about that. The question was about the size of the base and in total or in smaller localities the Democrats can easily regain what was lost (or gain on top of what they had). Actually visiting Wisconsin and Michigan will do wonders.

Crowsbeak posted:

You know I think you should probably work on your own posts before you say that to anyone else.

This post makes as much sense as "Obama was suppressing Ellison behind the scenes." Which is to say no sense at all

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 26, 2017

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Very soon, democrats will control the country.

2016 was all according to plan, you see. Classic rope-a-dope strategy. :shepface:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I like to think this has taught you a valuable lesson about assumptions.

Well, since the post was directed at me and I "both downpl[ed] the vote's importance, and point out that both were good options" it was pretty reasonable to believe that the following clause was intended to apply to me as well.

If you don't want people to try and read tea leaves about your intentions feel free to start writing coherently and not have huge run on sentences that switch topics and audience several times.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Very soon, democrats will control the country

Perfectly reasonable prediction for 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

I'm sorry. I'm not clever or confident enough to match up to this level of smugness.

If you really believed it was gonna happen you could probably come up with some kind of approximation of the argument that convinced you. Why should anyone take you seriously otherwise?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when the apparently brain dead morons that decided a kick to a dick for no reason what so ever was a great idea botch 2018 and 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well if i could tell the future i'd be using it to buy lotto tickets

:rolleyes:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xae posted:

Well, since the post was directed at me and I "both downpl[ed] the vote's importance, and point out that both were good options" it was pretty reasonable to believe that the following clause was intended to apply to me as well.

If you don't want people to try and read tea leaves about your intentions feel free to start writing coherently and not have huge run on sentences that switch topics and audience several times.

Pretty rude.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

If you really believed it was gonna happen you could probably come up with some kind of approximation of the argument that convinced you. Why should anyone take you seriously otherwise?

:rolleyes:

If there was anything the 2016 elections taught us, it's that smug liberal cunts will never take you seriously no matter what you say, so why even bother?

E: :smug:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

If there was anything the 2016 elections taught us, it's that smug liberal cunts will never take you seriously no matter what you say, so why even bother?

E: :smug:

So, you don't actually have any idea what's going to happen, you are convinced it'll be a disaster though, because how those democrats not do the thing you wanted.

By the way, people really invested in this ellison thing, who did you contact about it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nevvy Z posted:

So, you don't actually have any idea what's going to happen

neither do you jackass, given the track record of the democrats for the past 6-8 years, it is my belief that evidence points to them continuing to gently caress up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical both the Democrats or Republicans can self correct at this point and the current silent (or not so silent) political crisis the US is experiencing is only going to get worse. Third parties can't effect major state/federal level change in the US simply based on our electoral system and state level political mechanics. I think someone like Sawant is about best case scenario.

Furthermore, a independent political pressure group (especially a left-leaning one) would have to be willing to stay home to have any real leverage which is probably not going to happen either.

I don't think the difference between Ellison and Perez was that drastic, but there was some daylight on key issues (trade, lobbying, Israel...arguably finance). My honest hope wasn't that Ellison would be a secret leftist, but that it would give a small opening to balance its traditionalist-centrist wing. In the end, even that small opening proved impossible.

That said, I kind of see the Democrats and the US as a whole running out of time. While the long-held hope has been demographics will be enough to stabilize the Democrats, it doesn't seem to be working at either the state or federal level. Moreover, the GOP is only going further right and more openly authoritarian.

:same:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

neither do you jackass

Which is why I'm not getting myself super worked up about the results of this nothingburger.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

given the track record of the democrats for the past 6-8 years, it is my belief that evidence points to them continuing to gently caress up

How though? what kind of fuckup do you think perez is gonna make that ellison would not have, when ellison was his deputy?

You have no idea, you are just angry at the democrats. I'm not sure you even know why you are angry at them. I'm not saying you can't be angry, but you being angry doesn't make this a mistake, it just makes you an angry person. BTW, where do you live and who did you contact to encourage them to vote Ellison?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 26, 2017

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

What a zinger, we use the electoral college! Wow! No one ever thought about that. The question was about the size of the base and in total or in smaller localities the Democrats can easily regain what was lost (or gain on top of what they had). Actually visiting Wisconsin and Michigan will do wonders.

Didn't seem to help in Pennsylvania, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

How though? what kind of fuckup do you think perez is gonna make that ellison would not have, when ellison was his deputy?

my concern has always been the party writ large rather than the chair. half of the 400+ party leaders decided either further inflaming or not caring about the division in the party was a good idea and that does not bode well i feel

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I'll make this very simple as you don't seem to have the ability to understand more advanced language. Your posts are nothing but hyperbole. So to suggest anyone not be hyperbolic in their posts is very funny.

@raskalnikov considering they are running scared from us at town halls as much as the GOP we can make them bend if we keep organized

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my concern has always been the party writ large rather than the chair. half of the 400+ party leaders decided either further inflaming or not caring about the division in the party was a good idea and that does not bode well i feel

Ok. What division? Is it significant? did they know about it? Who did you contact to let them know how you feel? Is this anything other than "they should have voted for the guy Bernie endorsed and known I wanted it"?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Pikavangelist posted:

Didn't seem to help in Pennsylvania, though.

All analyses show that Trump and his allies made many more visits that handed him the presidency. This is a major reason democrats lost that can be easily rectified with a return to traditional political calculus in the general

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical both the Democrats or Republicans can self correct at this point and the current silent (or not so silent) political crisis the US is experiencing is only going to get worse. Third parties can't effect major state/federal level change in the US simply based on our electoral system and state level political mechanics. I think someone like Sawant is about best case scenario.

Furthermore, a independent political pressure group (especially a left-leaning one) would have to be willing to stay home to have any real leverage which is probably not going to happen either.

I don't think the difference between Ellison and Perez was that drastic, but there was some daylight on key issues (trade, lobbying, Israel...arguably finance). My honest hope wasn't that Ellison would be a secret leftist, but that it would give a small opening to balance its traditionalist-centrist wing. In the end, even that small opening proved impossible.

That said, I kind of see the Democrats and the US as a whole running out of time. While the long-held hope has been demographics will be enough to stabilize the Democrats, it doesn't seem to be working at either the state or federal level. Moreover, the GOP is only going further right and more openly authoritarian.

http://twitter.com/callawaythings/status/812716182159626240

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Apparently the islamophobic emails derailed ellison's candidacy. Why should leftists vote for islamophobic dems again?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Ok. What division? Is it significant? did they know about it? Who did you contact to let them know how you feel?

since you're so goddamn hung up on this, california and everyone that had contact info that didn't require serious digging into personal accounts to find that was listed on the CA dems handy webpage of dnc voting members.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I'll make this very simple as you don't seem to have the ability to understand more advanced language. Your posts are nothing but hyperbole. So to suggest anyone not be hyperbolic in their posts

You clearly don't understand what hyperbole is so we are done.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

This election didnt matter and bernouts are tiny minority and im really mad about this and will rant for pages about this issue i dont care about!!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

This post makes as much sense as "Obama was suppressing Ellison behind the scenes." Which is to say no sense at all

I heard unsourced rumors that he spent TEN DAYS secretly fighting Ellison supporters in cage matches.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You clearly don't understand what hyperbole is so we are done.

I mean you compared me calling you hyperbolic to me making up some sort of insane conspiracy theory. I mean that is engaging in hyperbole.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Perez winning was a win for islamophobes like trump and the centrists of the dem party.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The perez-led democratic party is for all intensive purposes a new wing of the republican party and its supporters are the practical equivalent of trumpsters

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

The perez-led democratic party is for all intensive purposes a new wing of the republican party and its supporters are the practical equivalent of trumpsters

That's incredibly unfair. Trumpsters win elections

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Condiv posted:

Even this thread has people popping in to say they're done with the dems.

Everyone should be banding together to call these people idiots. I don't care if you wanted Greene to be chair. Acting like this is what our enemies want.

Condiv posted:

Perez winning was a win for islamophobes like trump and the centrists of the dem party.

Source your quotes please and thank you.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Everyone should be banding together to call these people idiots. I don't care if you wanted Greene to be chair. Acting like this is what our enemies want.

I agree. Let's repeat what worked so wonderfully well in 2016. If you just yell and insult people a little bit more you'll be unstoppable!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Eh, I don't blame em. It was a long time coming tbh. They've got like 2 years to cool off and see if anything actually happens. It's all cool imo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TheRat posted:

I agree. Let's repeat what worked so wonderfully well in 2016. If you just yell and insult people a little bit more you'll be unstoppable!

There is no Dana, only Zuul.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TheRat posted:

*organizes fart in*
*interrupts civil rights heroes with boos and taunts*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Lord posted:

Source your quotes please and thank you.

Here you go https://twitter.com/jstein_vox/status/835878035513556992

Personally I don't like that islamophobes run our party, and I don't want to vote to elect islamophobic dems

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

*organizes fart in*

*loses election*
*learns nothing*
*is a smug liberal oval office*

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

heroes more like zeroes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I dunno why centrists pretend they care about minorities. It's clear from the DNC chair race they don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Glibness aside, I have less than zero problem with being frustrated that Ellison didn't win. It's good to vent that and to discuss what it means. I'm just concerned that #DemExit type sentiments are going to become louder, and shitbags like Assange and Bannon are going to be further empowered by it to continue their work to demolish the American left.

Condiv posted:

Here you go https://twitter.com/jstein_vox/status/835878035513556992

Personally I don't like that islamophobes run our party, and I don't want to vote to elect islamophobic dems

Honestly, same. If you look at my post history you'll see that I have a lot to say on this subject, much drawn from personal experience. I'm mad about this being a factor in Ellison's loss. I'm just waiting to see if Perez actually collaborates with Ellison, or if the deputy position is just for show I guess. If he does work with him it will actually help to combat that influence, regardless of who helped him to get elected.

I'm also concerned "Islamophobia!" is going to become a weapon to batter Perez no matter what he does. Like "Anti-semitism!" would have been if Ellison won.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2017

• Locked thread