Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTZzS1bZDE

According to him the P2 does have OIS. Maybe someone said that already, but I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

I'm like 70% sure they said BT 5.0 during the event...

Yeah the Pixel 2 has BT 5.0, but the earbuds need to have a BT 5.0 radio as well to reap the benefits, which wasn't mentioned on the spec page and I don't think was mentioned in the event either.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm waiting for reviews to see if the camera is really that much better than the P1 camera. The speed and quality of the camera on my Pixel has been far more useful and valuable to me than I had anticipated. I'd be willing to consider an upgrade if they manage to improve that even more.

The other aspects aren't really enough for me at full retail price. Another Verizon sale like last year may change my mind, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

incogneato posted:

The speed and quality of the camera on my Pixel has been far more useful and valuable to me than I had anticipated.

Same. I really did not care about cameras until I had a good one.

I mean, I still don't take photos very often but when I do I don't want to have to futz around to get a good one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTZzS1bZDE

According to him the P2 does have OIS. Maybe someone said that already, but I missed it.

It was in the little video they did during the presentation. They bragged about it using both EIS and OIS.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kreeblah posted:

I missed the reveal, but has anybody posted a diff between the Pixel 1 and 2? I've got a 128GB Pixel XL that I've had since launch and I'm not seeing a whole lot that's compelling about the 2 over what I already have. 700 MHz support would be nice, but my service is generally fine on T-Mobile. Other than that, I'm thinking I'll pass on this one and wait until next year.

I think it mainly depends on your interests. It's largely an iterative update - nominally faster everything but given how well the Pixel runs that's really a stat sheet distinction, better camera according to dxo but how much room is there to improve on the Pixel camera, you get the squeeze stuff and the life cycle for updates is on a new phone rather than one a year older. They did some stuff with the UI too but again it's not groundbreaking. The only significant improvement I guess would be IP67, which might be a deal breaker if you need a headphone jack.

I ordered today (as opposed to down the road) because I knew I'd want the phone eventually and expected, given the Pixel's supply issues, to be waiting for months if I wasn't in the first wave of preorders. The camera is marginally better, the hardware and UI are marginally faster, I've used BT headphones for a couple years now, the Home mini is a nice perk, and it falls generally within what I'm willing to pay as disposable income. The big announcements today were mainly about software and other devices (that speaker and the pen sounded cool) and the pixel is just a "new year, new phone" thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
There's not much of a line here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It was in the little video they did during the presentation. They bragged about it using both EIS and OIS.

Yeah, it actually surprised me that OIS made a return since HDR+ is going to favor short exposure times. They must be doing some serious voodoo now on the camera.

I got a chuckle that the iPhone 8 and Note 8 were both crowing this week about having the top camera score and Google just trounced both today.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's not much of a line here.

They don't have Apple's retard attraction field.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

TBH, I don't think there's a real compelling reason to upgrade from a Pixel 1.
Front speakers and IP67. Trade in the Pixel 1 and its not that expensive even.

Size comparison of the P2XL, PXL, V30, and S8+
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-2-XL,Samsung-Galaxy-S8,LG-V30,Google-Pixel-XL/phones/10568,10312,10577,10263

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh yeah forgot the stereo front speakers.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hi, I decided I don't like my current phone anymore and I am going to get a new one now. What should I get?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I did not win.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Stay Safe posted:

Hi, I decided I don't like my current phone anymore and I am going to get a new one now. What should I get?

iphone se

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I have my panda XL preorder but looking more closely it follows with a white outline in front. Not sure if I'm a fan of that

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I didn't catch the 700 mhz thing. Is that the band TMobile is using to help building penetration, or what? Coverage in Bay area is great, but building penetration is not.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So, as far as I can see from crosschecking tech specs on the German and the US site, Pixel 2 XL supports the same bands worldwide.

Has anyone heard mention of a US and International version, like Pixel 1 had, or is it finally the same version of hardware all over the world (or the 5 countries it's sold in)?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RVProfootballer posted:

I didn't catch the 700 mhz thing. Is that the band TMobile is using to help building penetration, or what? Coverage in Bay area is great, but building penetration is not.

No 700mhz is what most of Verizon's LTE is on. I think TMobile's is 600 or 650.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Wacky Delly posted:

No 700mhz is what most of Verizon's LTE is on. I think TMobile's is 600 or 650.

TMo has 700 mhz in a lot of places in the US. They bought up 600 mhz for basically the entire country to fill in the gaps. The LG V30 is the only phone that supports it yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They won't have 600 in most of the country for a couple of years anyway. Unless you are a filthy casual I expect you'd have a new phone by then.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I can apparently trade in my old pixel for $400 credit towards a new Pixel. I am very intrigued by this offer.

If I get an unlocked version of the Pixel 2 off the Google Store, will I have problems using it on Verizon?

Are there any decent reviews of it online yet?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I can apparently trade in my old pixel for $400 credit towards a new Pixel. I am very intrigued by this offer.

If I get an unlocked version of the Pixel 2 off the Google Store, will I have problems using it on Verizon?

Google store pixel will work just fine on Verizon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Don Lapre posted:

They won't have 600 in most of the country for a couple of years anyway. Unless you are a filthy casual I expect you'd have a new phone by then.

Probably, but they've already started deploying 600 MHz in the areas where they can. They've announced a goal of getting 1.2 million square miles active by the end of the year by putting up towers in the areas that don't have TV stations that need to move and vacate the signal spectrum. So they will get a huge burst in coverage, then it will slow down as they need to wait on TV stations to switch spectrum.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cheesemaster200 posted:

There's a few "quick looks" where they let the bloggers hold them and post impressions. It doesn't launch for another 2 weeks so I wouldn't expect many reviews before then.

If you're on verizon and doing the payment plan, Best Buy is giving $100 off (knocks 4ish bucks off the monthly) with the free Home mini.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16405192/new-google-pixel-2-xl-phone-photos-video-hands-on

that portrait thing looks loving nuts.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I live literally down the road from you Google, let me give you $800 for a new phone!

Scroogl'd.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You know what I don't get? Why are they making Italy and Spain eligible for sales later on? It's not like these countries have sparkling economies these days. If it'd been France, Switzerland and/or one of the Scandinavian countries, or whatever, that'd make more sense.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sure glad i get to keep my pixel xl 1 for another year!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The warranty/support isn't any different whether I buy this from Play Store or Verizon right? Don't want to be hosed again like the 6p battery.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The warranty/support isn't any different whether I buy this from Play Store or Verizon right? Don't want to be hosed again like the 6p battery.

It all depends on how generous the Play Store support folks are feeling on any given day, but buying from Google is probably your safest bet if you don't want to be thrown into HTC(?)/LG Support Hell.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

It all depends on how generous the Play Store support folks are feeling on any given day, but buying from Google is probably your safest bet if you don't want to be thrown into HTC(?)/LG Support Hell.

I thought the point of the Pixel branding is that they're not ever supposed to chuck you to the OEM and are supposed to take responsibility for their own phone? I ask about Verizon because I figure Google Play support might say "go take it up with Verizon" which is slightly less bullshit than "take it up with LG". How did it work with Pixel 1?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I thought the point of the Pixel branding is that they're not ever supposed to chuck you to the OEM and are supposed to take responsibility for their own phone? I ask about Verizon because I figure Google Play support might say "go take it up with Verizon" which is slightly less bullshit than "take it up with LG". How did it work with Pixel 1?

I don't know but why take chances?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I don't know but why take chances?

for some, the kinda blue is worth it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Combat Pretzel posted:

You know what I don't get? Why are they making Italy and Spain eligible for sales later on? It's not like these countries have sparkling economies these days. If it'd been France, Switzerland and/or one of the Scandinavian countries, or whatever, that'd make more sense.

My guess is the Google Assistant language stuff is more developed for Spain and Italy? They really emphasized the language stuff during the presentation and if the phone and other products aren't good at speaking Norwegian then it's not ready for release.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

for some, the kinda blue is worth it

Ah yes, I did forget about that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ohhhh boy I'm so tempted to trade in my not even three months old XL for an XL 2 but ohhhh I'd get it in like January or something

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
NYT had an offer earlier today of receiving a free Google Home if you subscribed to their digital print for a year. Loophole in that was you could sign up for a month, get the promo code and cancel the recurring charge. I was able to sign up and get my order in with Google before the dipshits at Slickdeals decided to abuse it by ordering 2-3 of them and cancelling immediately. Deal was shut down in 2 hours.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Google Home should be loving paying us to install them, honestly. I can only imagine how much money they make being able to mine our home lives to advertisers.

Edit: Also how the gently caress does Google get away with listing SmartThings as a "partner" on the Google Home Mini page, when they intentionally broke Nest thermostat compatibility with SmartThings?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 5, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

False Toaster posted:

NYT had an offer earlier today of receiving a free Google Home if you subscribed to their digital print for a year. Loophole in that was you could sign up for a month, get the promo code and cancel the recurring charge. I was able to sign up and get my order in with Google before the dipshits at Slickdeals decided to abuse it by ordering 2-3 of them and cancelling immediately. Deal was shut down in 2 hours.

I got in on this deal as well. I'm waiting until the dang thing ships to cancel the subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Estimated Canadian availability date for the XL 2 is December lol

Not even going to bother preordering.

Is that for Rogers?