Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Shakaar ended up going back to his candle.

oh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Whalley posted:

Imagine living on a planet where you were expected to have weird sex with anyone who showed you a weird statue tho

Weird statue just meant DTF. Risa is Tinder planet.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 6, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And why is it called a WHORE-GONE when it's meant to do the opposite?

:dadjoke:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I imagine there's some troubling drugs on Risa :(

...is the Federation anti-drug?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Brawnfire posted:

I imagine there's some troubling drugs on Risa :(

...is the Federation anti-drug?

[insert out-of-nowhere Tasha Yar "Just Say No" Speech from episode about an interplanetary pharmaceutical scam]

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They've got synthehol, which has the same intoxicating effect as alcohol except it's non-addictive and the drunkenness is "easy to dismiss" so maybe they have something like that with other drugs too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pakled posted:

They've got synthehol, which has the same intoxicating effect as alcohol except it's non-addictive and the drunkenness is "easy to dismiss" so maybe they have something like that with other drugs too.

Synthehol was a ferengi invention, though. It was meant to be something you could drink during a negotiation without actually getting drunk while the person you're drinking and negotiating with does get drunk and easier to bamboozle. Then the Federation got hold of it and it was all downhill from there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Some fed rear end in a top hat: now we can have non-intoxicating alcoholic root beer floats! How delightful!

Quark: noooooooooo!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Whalley posted:

Imagine living on a planet where you were expected to have weird sex with anyone who showed you a weird statue tho

You're not forced to, it's just a sign that means "Open for Business"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

You're not forced to, it's just a sign that means "Open for Business"

At least their culture didn't have a weird thing where it was rude to decline sex when asked. Also, no Rob Lowe pheromones.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Acelister/status/1015270356507152384

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A world where people drink fake alcohol that doesn't really make you drunk but gives you a lame impersonation of drunkenness sounds like a nightmare.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This needs to include TOS Klingons for extra nerd points.

Shibawanko posted:

A world where people drink fake alcohol that doesn't really make you drunk but gives you a lame impersonation of drunkenness sounds like a nightmare.

The descriptions I remember is that it isn't this at all. It's basically magic booze that lets you get as drunk as you want but also get not drunk within a few minutes. So if you wanna get loving hammered then you can get loving hammered but shake it off while you walk to your hovercar Ford pick-up truck.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 7, 2018

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kibayasu posted:

This needs to include TOS Klingons for extra nerd points.

Kor, Kang, and Koloth are already on there. Twice. The true shameful omission is Kruge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CPColin posted:

Kor, Kang, and Koloth are already on there. Twice. The true shameful omission is Kruge.

Yeah but they're both after the "forehead ridges" path.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

The descriptions I remember is that it isn't this at all. It's basically magic booze that lets you get as drunk as you want but also get not drunk within a few minutes. So if you wanna get loving hammered then you can get loving hammered but shake it off while you walk to your hovercar Ford pick-up truck.

It's varied. Synthehol is also only mentioned as something Starfleet officers drink, presumably mainly when they're on duty or on their lunch break. People in Trek seem to prefer real booze in their off hours or when they're not Starfleet.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
me in star trek universe: computer, replicate a fentanyl patch I can slap on my balls

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah but they're both after the "forehead ridges" path.

They're both with and without ridges.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's varied. Synthehol is also only mentioned as something Starfleet officers drink, presumably mainly when they're on duty or on their lunch break. People in Trek seem to prefer real booze in their off hours or when they're not Starfleet.

Or if you're TOS-era Starfleet, you love real booze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RuRJOQa8M

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

McNally posted:

They're both with and without ridges.

That's what I'm saying!

WampaLord posted:

Or if you're TOS-era Starfleet, you love real booze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RuRJOQa8M

Bashir and O'Brien can tie one on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ali3c7FaQGU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Someone else mentioned no Kruge, but also the overweight section's missing the Klingon Ambassador from ST5 and the Chancellor who preceded Gowron.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I can't stop rolling my eyes at how TNG/DS9 turned synthehol into being just future Bud Light that everyone who's anyone properly looks down their nose at

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I can't stop rolling my eyes at how TNG/DS9 turned synthehol into being just future Bud Light that everyone who's anyone properly looks down their nose at

This brings us back to the dumb idea of replicated food tasting worse than freshly prepared food.

It's molecules, you can make it taste the exact same as freshly prepared food! Don't lie to us, you food snobs, you're just irrationally in love with the process of cooking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

This brings us back to the dumb idea of replicated food tasting worse than freshly prepared food.

It's molecules, you can make it taste the exact same as freshly prepared food! Don't lie to us, you food snobs, you're just irrationally in love with the process of cooking.

Even today people are incredibly snobby about getting something made specifically for them by an artisan rather than grabbing something mass produced that's just as good. I think it's down to ego, plain and simple. Anyone can get replicated food.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Someone else mentioned no Kruge, but also the overweight section's missing the Klingon Ambassador from ST5 and the Chancellor who preceded Gowron.

I was all set to mention that even though the flowchart asks "are they albino?", it doesn't list the Albino. But I checked, and apparently there's disagreement about whether he's actually even Klingon or not, so hey.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

me in star trek universe: computer, replicate a fentanyl patch I can slap on my balls

I wonder what restrictions the replicators have on drugs. Many present day issues with some illegal drugs come from impurities, whereas the replicator could make them 100% pure.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

WampaLord posted:

Actually, I have a theory on why this makes sense. Ever had Orange Juice with added Calcium? It always has this awful taste like someone just crushed up a handful of calcium tablets and dumped them in the bottle. We're always hearing about how the replicator adds nutritional supplements to your food to make it healthier, perhaps that's what's going on here. Replicator is jacking up the taste with add ins. And they don't even realize that's why it tastes differently, so they don't know to switch off the supplements. Or worse, they do know but the Replicator isn't set up to allow it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured people were either being snobs or else it was like the replicator produces one very good example of the dish... but it's always the same dish, less any minor modifications like temperature or whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Nessus posted:

I figured people were either being snobs or else it was like the replicator produces one very good example of the dish... but it's always the same dish, less any minor modifications like temperature or whatever.

They've shown random people can make new replicator dishes so it wouldn't make sense for there to be a shitton of replicator recipes on the space internet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Even today people are incredibly snobby about getting something made specifically for them by an artisan rather than grabbing something mass produced that's just as good. I think it's down to ego, plain and simple. Anyone can get replicated food.

Classism? In my post-scarcity gay communist utopia?

It's more likely than you think.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Don't forget the Klingon chef from DS9! :gowron:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Ehhhh, data compression. Replicated food is like a JPG.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

*synthanyl

For that matter, is there like synthacoke and syntheroin? I'm actually lollin imagining everyone getting high off their asses just offscreen behind every other door they pass by in all of those serious walk-and-talk corridor shots, but whenever a red alert happens they just shake it off and getting back to business a minute later. It was the Space 80s after all

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

Ehhhh, data compression. Replicated food is like a JPG.

4-bit vanilla ice cream would be exactly like that cheap poo poo you buy which uses artificial extract. You want high quality ice cream? 256-bit at a minimum, yo.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

WampaLord posted:

Replicated food is absolutely as delicious as non-replicated food.

The most reasonable theory for why even non-food-snobs might occasionally have an issue with it is that every replicated meal of a given recipe on the replicator menu is always perfectly identical. It's the EXACT same meal every single time, right down to the individual molecules, as you point out.

That would probably get a little recognizable once you've eaten a given meal a few times.

That's it, though, anything past that particular issue is all tied up in ideologies and snobbery and bullshit, rather than how it actually tastes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
For resolving the "it's identical every time" issue, you could probably like, load in ten minor variations of each of your favorite dishes and program the computer to give you a random variation every time you ask for that food unless you specify otherwise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Computer, .07% change mystery pube.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

For resolving the "it's identical every time" issue, you could probably like, load in ten minor variations of each of your favorite dishes and program the computer to give you a random variation every time you ask for that food unless you specify otherwise.

Until the variation subroutine glitches and loads your meal with Carolina reapers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
People who aren't good at / interested in cooking -- which presumably would be even more people in this situation than what we see today -- don't necessarily know what makes some food taste better than other food (to their preference). So even though they could theoretically tell the replicator how to make it better, they don't know how. And instead of learning how, they'd rather just complain about it, since it makes good smalltalk. Seems plausible.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that was Voyager in a nutshell. Nothing has long term consequences.
From a bit back but it's impressive how quickly they mash that reset button at the end of that two-parter. The pre-credits wrapup is, like, literally Janeway asking how progress on DeBorging the ship is going, and how Seven looks mostly human now except for one or two Borg piercings.
All that dread over having to pass through BORG SPACE gone, too.

Sir Lemming posted:

So even though they could theoretically tell the replicator how to make it better, they don't know how. And instead of learning how, they'd rather just complain about it, since it makes good smalltalk. Seems plausible.
Cooking would probably be one of those skills you take up to liven up your Mandatory Federation Friendship Parties (like acting or trombining).
A novice would replicate the ingredients and put them together in a dish. A hipster would find ethically sourced Klingonian boqrat and prepare it authentically.