Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

May I introduce you to the lightning-in-a-bottle that was Mario Galaxy’s soundtrack

Gusty Garden really was like a once-in-a-lifetime win for just kinda popping up in a random level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

May I introduce you to the lightning-in-a-bottle that was Mario Galaxy’s soundtrack

Mario Odyssey is too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gusty Garden really was like a once-in-a-lifetime win for just kinda popping up in a random level

Gusty Garden is tied with BotW Hyrule Castle and WW Dragon Roost Isle for my favorite video game track of all time

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/AutoDraws/status/1474033303678291981?s=20

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bloop posted:

When people are being extremely loud and distracting at my job while I'm actually trying to concentrate instead of shitpost, I put on the BGM from SimCity SNES and it's very soothing (not the capital or metropolis themes those are too intense)

A YouTube video labeled “Soothing music to study/work to” featuring the chill beats anime girl in the thunbnail but in reality it’s a 3 hour loop of the sonic the hedgehog drowning music.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I like listening to video game soundtracks as a background to doing other things because, well, it's usually designed as a chill background for walking around places.

Fight music if I'm doing something intense like writing a report. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

You state "video game music" like it's something completely different to any other type of music. If you like music you like music.

So what music do you like?

Video game music is totally different from regular music, it’s designed with different goals in mind and uses way different rules about time signatures, melody, themes, etc.

When a video game composer sits down to write a battle theme with 5 different parts that will be programmed to use different instruments and time signatures depending on your characters score or the phase of a boss fight, without knowing how long it might take someone to cut the dragons wings off or something, that is entirely different skill set then Taylor Swift writing a 3 minute pop song that has no variation and is always consumed the same way.

I understand the message you’re trying to convey but video game music isn’t just “music” for the same reason movies aren’t just “TV” or that books aren’t just “plays”

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A crossover game between Zelda and Valkyria Chronicles would be pretty sweet.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Video game music is totally different from regular music, it’s designed with different goals in mind and uses way different rules about time signatures, melody, themes, etc.

When a video game composer sits down to write a battle theme with 5 different parts that will be programmed to use different instruments and time signatures depending on your characters score or the phase of a boss fight, without knowing how long it might take someone to cut the dragons wings off or something, that is entirely different skill set then Taylor Swift writing a 3 minute pop song that has no variation and is always consumed the same way.

I understand the message you’re trying to convey but video game music isn’t just “music” for the same reason movies aren’t just “TV” or that books aren’t just “plays”

But it is still the same thing insofar as movies, tv, books, and plays need to think about things like plot structure, themes and motifs. It's a very comparable skillset.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Video game music is just beeps, with occasional boops

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Video game music is just beeps, with occasional boops

I love how when TV shows in the 90’s and early 2,000’s showed people playing video games they would dub in Atari 2600 pac man sounds even if they’re playing grand theft auto or Mario kart.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was obsessed with the Outset Island theme at one point about 5 years ago and would always put the orchestral version of it on (or the 25th anniversary wind waker suite from that cd) while doing chores at night, and it became so ingrained in my head and my fiancé’s head that, years later still, if either of us are doing the dishes or something like that we’ll just start whistling it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah Wind Waker is probably peak Zelda music. My favorite is the ending credits song that blends all the themes together into one masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/QhdiYWCQVqg

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah Wind Waker is probably peak Zelda music. My favorite is the ending credits song that blends all the themes together into one masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/QhdiYWCQVqg

Absolutely best ending theme, best boss themes, best town themes, and best field? theme.

Despite my problems with Skyward Sword I would put it's music right below Wind Waker.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Needs Daruk with a minigun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hear me out: TF2 but with Zelda characters

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hear me out: TF2 but with Zelda characters

1,000% yes. Hell you don’t even need to go outside the breath of the Wild characters, they’re all there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow, we never get the Netflix Zelda series but we still get the Gun Gale Online spinoff

And I'm still satisfied

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wind waker might have had good music, but it's a shame the instrument you use sucks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why the gently caress isn't WWHD on the Switch yet? I haven't played WW for about 10 years now and the itch is strong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Frankston posted:

Why the gently caress isn't WWHD on the Switch yet? I haven't played WW for about 10 years now and the itch is strong.

They have a cream for that now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They had to release Skyward Sword on switch before WWHD on Switch because if they did it the other way around we’d all go “lol!”

My dream would be a single package that was just all 3 toon link games on Switch

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankston posted:

They’re likely sitting on it for when they need a release to fill the void. I thought for sure we would get that and Twilight Princess HD for the 35th, but all we got was Skyward Sword and the game and watch. BOTW 2 is rumored for next November according to Peer Schneider and IGN, so maybe we’ll get one or both next summer to fill the gap. Or not, who the gently caress knows anymore with Nintendo.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re likely sitting on it for when they need a release to fill the void. I thought for sure we would get that and Twilight Princess HD for the 35th, but all we got was Skyward Sword and the game and watch. BOTW 2 is rumored for next November according to Peer Schneider and IGN, so maybe we’ll get one or both next summer to fill the gap. Or not, who the gently caress knows anymore with Nintendo.

I was thinking next December as that would be the 20th anniversary of WW's first release, but maybe not if BotW2 is also set for a winter release.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I started a new game with my youngest son and boy howdy is it hard to remember that you don't have a paraglider. Just yeeting Link to his death over and over again.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 24, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I started a new game with my youngest son and boy howdy is it hard to remember that you don't have a paraglider. Just yeeting Link to his death over and over again.

You can always do the weapon switch trick to cancel fall damage if you’re any good. I am not at all and have about a 25% success rate personally. So much for setting speed run records.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only just got the hang of parrying all of the lynel attacks so I don't think that's in my immediate future.

I really do love starting the game completely over sometimes just to remember how I thought about "what's out there" before I ever left the plateau. drat game is so big.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They still haven't added online multiplayer to Age of Calamity, right?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Loucks posted:

Oh I 100% listen to it and like it, but I just have no interest in listening to it outside of that context. It’s nice and better than average video game music, it’s just not that amazing to me.

I like a lot of music but have never found a video game with music I want to listen to unless I’m playing that game.

Same. I don't understand listening to video game music at all.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Absolutely best ending theme, best boss themes, best town themes, and best field? theme.

Despite my problems with Skyward Sword I would put it's music right below Wind Waker.

I think Skyward Sword has my favorite opening act of any Zelda I've played and that's at least 50% because of the music

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've said it before but my favorite soundtrack is definitely Twilight Princess. There are better individual songs in other games, but it's the most consistently high-quality one for me.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Skyward Sword features my favorite ending theme, and it's one of the few things BotW just kinda ignores.
Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, and Skyward all had cool little cutscenes about what happened later (even if Ocarina was just a hosed up party where nothing made sense). BotW would be IDEAL for that, and it just kinda... does a fairly unimpressive medley with screenshots.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Vookatos posted:

Skyward Sword features my favorite ending theme, and it's one of the few things BotW just kinda ignores.
Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, and Skyward all had cool little cutscenes about what happened later (even if Ocarina was just a hosed up party where nothing made sense). BotW would be IDEAL for that, and it just kinda... does a fairly unimpressive medley with screenshots.

The 13th, unlockable Recalled Memory kinda does this, though it does t really foreshadow anything you couldn’t have already assumed. It has a pretty badass musical flourish at the end, too!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Happy Holidays all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://kotaku.com/poll-here-are-japans-top-100-video-games-of-all-time-1848275437

A Japanese TV show polled 50,000 Japanese and came up with a top 100 videogame list of all time.

Skyward Sword - 88
Majora’s Mask - 80
Legend of Zelda (the first game) - 52
Ocarina of Time - 17
BOTW - number 1

Can’t believe Wind Waker failed to make this list but Skyward Sword did…

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Cartoon Man posted:

https://kotaku.com/poll-here-are-japans-top-100-video-games-of-all-time-1848275437

A Japanese TV show polled 50,000 Japanese and came up with a top 100 videogame list of all time.

Skyward Sword - 88
Majora’s Mask - 80
Legend of Zelda (the first game) - 52
Ocarina of Time - 17
BOTW - number 1

Can’t believe Wind Waker failed to make this list but Skyward Sword did…

It's because Nintendo hasn't put it on the Switch, dooming it to irrelevancy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Skrill.exe posted:

It's because Nintendo hasn't put it on the Switch, dooming it to irrelevancy.

This actually is probably the real reason why it didn't make the list. Assuming that most of the people polled were in their 20s-30s, they would've been too young to play the original Gamecube release of Wind Waker, but would have been the perfect age to play Skyward Sword on the Wii. The original LoZ and OoT were easy and cheap enough to play through the Wii's Virtual Console, so they're covered too. While the Wii can play Gamecube games, I can imagine most people wouldn't have wanted to buy a copy (or were too young to know it existed), and since the Wii U didn't sell well, a lot of them would've missed out on the HD rerelease too.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I wouldn't put too much thought into a list that puts Animal Crossing: New Horizons as the fourth best game of all time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

I wouldn't put too much thought into a list that puts Animal Crossing: New Horizons as the fourth best game of all time.

It’s number 15 on this list…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: wrong thread