Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan_Shore posted:

Even Michael Bay doesn't have gently caress tons of swearing and racist language everywhere.

Counterpoint: racist caricatures Skids and Mudflap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pick posted:

optimus prime rips off the head of a man begging for his life

:Ultra Magnus writhes on the ground, his mechanical innards sparking and spraying viscous liquids:

:3: No! You dont understand the sacrifices... I did it all for your freedoms!

:Optane Optimus Prime leaps in the air, thrusting his warblade into his fallen, helpless opponent's eye. A brutal twist decapitates his foe. The spark of life leaves his eyes:

:dukedoge: Freedom is the right of all sentient beings... :he discards the dead head like trash: bitch

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a scene where some Autobots come across an unknown alien creature that's been locked in a cage. They mock it and call it ugly. It spits goo on them, so they kill it and call it bitch.

That is in no way exaggerated. These are the good guys.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

optimus prime rips off the head of a man begging for his life

After which Megatron (with a half busted face himself) slinks away, uttering "...this is no Prime" just barely audible above the movie's soundtrack

in a later movie, Megatron is the only character to offer peace because as he explains, all he cares about is saving his homeworld. Optimus promptly puts an axe through his face before ripping his head off with it, dooming his home and turning whatever survivors of their race remain into refugees

There is so much insane barely hidden subtext in those movies to unpack I still can't decide how much if any of it was deliberate and don't fully know what to make of them, but as a result at this point I believe they're more worthwhile to pick apart than any Trek project since 1999

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Megatron Did Nothing Wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This is where we repeat the call to Hasbro for transforming starships.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hasbro now owns the following transforming starship

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Alan_Shore posted:

Even Michael Bay doesn't have gently caress tons of swearing and racist language everywhere. I'd love for Tarantino to challenge himself and try to do genuine Star Trek, let's hope he's up for the challenge.

"petaQ" is revealed to be the Klingon n-word and is dropped more times in one movie than in all of the rest of Trek up to that point

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Better watch out, or Harmony Gold USA will come after you, they actually sued Hasbro over GI Joe / Transformers toys because their opinion is that if your property even slightly resembles anything in Super Dimension Fortress Macross / Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross / Genesis Climber Mospeada, you're violating their copyright.

And SDF Macross prominently figures a starship that transforms from a ship-like configuration into a giant humanoid robot with arms and legs..

(Their lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice..)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 8, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Wasn't the autobot plane guy, jetfire I think, basically a reskinned macross toy? I mean, good on them for saving money on manufacturing and product design, I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

Wasn't the autobot plane guy, jetfire I think, basically a reskinned macross toy? I mean, good on them for saving money on manufacturing and product design, I guess.

That toy was loving awesome, regardless.

Jesus, something that well made today would probably cost $300 at least

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ashpanash posted:

I'm not sure it was even reskinned. It was straight-up a Valkyrie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sash! posted:

I'm not sure it was even reskinned. It was straight-up a Valkyrie.
I mean, it was recolored from the original scheme at least. I dont think they changed the transformation mechanic other than to maybe not allow you to make the plane with fists mode.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

Megatron Did Nothing Wrong.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

just watched Wrath of Khan twice in a row, and I have only one question

Why the gently caress did Scotty bring that burned guy up to the bridge? He wasn't even dead. Scotty picked this dude up from Engineering and hauled rear end to the bridge instead of the medbay just for the drama

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
gonna eat him

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

Why the gently caress did Scotty bring that burned guy up to the bridge? He wasn't even dead. Scotty picked this dude up from Engineering and hauled rear end to the bridge instead of the medbay just for the drama

Serious answer: I think he was in shock from grief and his body was on autopilot, so he brought him up to the bridge. The expanded version of the movie clarifies that Preston was his nephew.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Low Desert Punk posted:

A deleted scene that really should have been kept has Scotty introducing the kid to Kirk as his nephew.

As for why he hauled the body all the way up instead of saying something, I dunno, insert some 80s vaguely racist saying about how passionate Scotsmen are?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's pretty much shock since it was his nephew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Movie McCoy’s also the only doc who’s constantly on the bridge instead of sickbay, so I’m sure it made sense in Scotty’s shocked brain.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I just realized something. If The Voyage Home McCoy had that moment where he speaks to the computer today, the engineer would've only corrected him by saying which name to use.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Did you guys ever stop to think that maybe the elevator got busted during the battle

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Did you guys ever stop to think that maybe the elevator got busted during the battle

if the elevator was busted how did he get to the bridge from engineering carrying a lanky unconscious white boy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

if the elevator was busted how did he get to the bridge from engineering carrying a lanky unconscious white boy

maybe the tube got hosed up somewhere and the elevator could only go to the bridge after a certain point in the system

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Low Desert Punk posted:

Carried him through the jeffries tubes with his mouth by the nape of his neck, like a mother cat carries her kitten.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scotty was going to sickbay but the turbolift decided to randomly go to the bridge first because it uses the same Intelligent Elevator Management System™ that my office uses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scotty: oh God, computer! Med bay, and step on it!!

Lift: an outranking officer has requested the lift on the bridge. Next destination: bridge.

Scotty: no! Christ no! Med bay, medical emergency override!

Lift: chief medical officer McCoy has overridden override. Next destination: bridge.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

maybe the tube got hosed up somewhere and the elevator could only go to the bridge after a certain point in the system

Hey, I'll buy it. The lift to the bridge would have to have all sorts of backups and protections, if only because no one thought to include a stairwell or ladder to deck 1, thus leaving an incredibly important location on the ship critically dependent on a functioning elevator. So maybe the bridge was the only functional destination in the saucer, and the closest Scotty could get to sickbay.

And I've just realized there's canonical support for my dumb joke -- after Kirk and company beam up from the Genesis cave, the turbolifts are "inoperative below C deck". See, all sorts of extra protection for the bridge elevators!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Maybe Scotty thought Peter was dead and wanted to show Kirk just how bad he'd hosed up this time. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've seen people mention that before, but it seems very out of character for Scotty, shock or not. Scotty has never been critical of Kirk's command, and there isn't even any protest from him about responding to the distress call in the first place.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maybe Scotty thought Peter was dead and wanted to show Kirk just how bad he'd hosed up this time. :v:

It's been AGES since I've read anything except the actual shooting script, but I believe it's a relic from a prior draft. Kirk says, "Let's go see how badly we've been hurt," and the idea is that he and Spock are going to go tour the ship and inspect damage, finding Preston and Scotty in Sickbay. Meyer decided that the movie didn't need that sort of a connective sequence, hence Scotty getting routed to the bridge. (Let's be fair, it's not the first, nor the last, time Meyer would cheat like that.)

As for an in-universe reason ... I got gently caress-all. Main power was lost so all bridge turbolifts were routed up there in the event of the need of evacuation, because Trek has always fetishized the command crew? Hell if I know.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I must need to rewatch that movie, because I seriously have always thought he was dead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I must need to rewatch that movie, because I seriously have always thought he was dead.

In Sickbay, Preston asks Kirk to "give the word," to which Kirk responds, "warp speed," before finally carking it, prompting Scotty's brief outburst.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dear mr. and mrs. cadetparents,

wow, i really hosed the dog today. some crazy rear end in a top hat hijacked a starfleet ship and came right up next to me and shot up the enterprise like you wouldn't believe. i've been in a shitload of space fights and even the goddamn klingons never hosed the ship up so hard. i probably should have raised the shields but i didn't feel like filling out the paperwork on a TS-18 incident and i figured a starfleet ship was safe to roll up with.

anyway cadet jeff died a hero's death. the doc tells me his lungs dissolved after he took a snootful of engine coolant, due to phaser fire rupturing the primary coolant loop. i'm sure he was brave enough to stifle the gurgling screams of agony so his crewmates could unfuck the ship long enough to limp away and [REDACTED BY ORDER OF FEDERATION COUNCIL DIRECTIVE SCD-2104].

i would say your son will be posthumously awarded some medals and a promotion, but in the enlightened space-future we don't value such things. i'll try to do better next time i get the ship completely shot up.

your most humble and obedient servant,

admiral james t. kirk

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Nah, they wind up in sickbay later, where Preston grabs Kirk's hand and asks him to give the word, then dies, and McCoy pulls a shiny space blanket over him, while Scotty laments. "He stayed at his post, while the trainees a-ran....."

I know that some versions had a line during the engine room inspection where Scotty identifies the kid as his sister's son, but I don't remember if it was in the original theatrical version, or the TV/Home Video recut. "Midshipman, you're a tiger." "My sister's youngest, Admiral. Crazy to get to space."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Imagine informing some poor kid's parents that he or she died via bisection due to some ridiculously slowly closing blast door.

TheCenturion posted:

I know that some versions had a line during the engine room inspection where Scotty identifies the kid as his sister's son, but I don't remember if it was in the original theatrical version, or the TV/Home Video recut. "Midshipman, you're a tiger." "My sister's youngest, Admiral. Crazy to get to space."

Scotty's little outburst is in every version. The extended engine room scene was first seen in the ABC-TV cut, then on the Director's Edition DVD and Blu-rays. However, Preston being Scotty's nephew was used in the DC Comics material from that time period.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It's been AGES since I've read anything except the actual shooting script, but I believe it's a relic from a prior draft. Kirk says, "Let's go see how badly we've been hurt," and the idea is that he and Spock are going to go tour the ship and inspect damage, finding Preston and Scotty in Sickbay. Meyer decided that the movie didn't need that sort of a connective sequence, hence Scotty getting routed to the bridge. (Let's be fair, it's not the first, nor the last, time Meyer would cheat like that.)

As for an in-universe reason ... I got gently caress-all. Main power was lost so all bridge turbolifts were routed up there in the event of the need of evacuation, because Trek has always fetishized the command crew? Hell if I know.

I was being facetious. I think honestly that scene should just be treated as one of the more operatic moments of space opera.

TheCenturion posted:

It wasn't in the theatrical nor most home video versions, but the Director's Cut has it put back in. I can see why it might have been removed, although having seen it, its absence is a bit jarring to me when I can see how they cut around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yeah, that's right. It's really been a long time since I've seen it, haha.