Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

No one's mentioned this so it's probably wrong, but didn't the Hart/Austin match at Wrestlemania 13 end with Austin dropping his arm three times?

He passed out but I don't think it was an arm drop thing, it was blood loss and Shamrock stopped the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Shamrock yelled at him to respond or he'd stop the match, and Austin didn't respond. No arm drop.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I still remember Triple H fighting Spike Dudley, getting him in the sleeper, and being absolutely gobstopped when Spike's arm fell that third time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

crankdatbatman posted:

No one's mentioned this so it's probably wrong, but didn't the Hart/Austin match at Wrestlemania 13 end with Austin dropping his arm three times?

Nope, Shamrock just figured that he was unconscious after he stopped responding. I don't think arm-raising happened at all, if for no other reason than the fact that raising someone's arm while they're in the Sharpshooter might have actually popped their shoulder out.

e:f,b new page.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What are some "technicalities" in wrestling, either as running jokes or just unrecognized accolades? For example, there was a running gag among the IWC for a while that Maven is still technically in the 2002 Royal Rumble, and Chris Jericho and Antonio Inoki both have unrecognized WWF championship reigns.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

David Penzer has a WCW heavyweight title reign if the rules of the 49ers match are followed to the letter.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ezekiel Jackson never actually lost the ECW title.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Chris Benoit had won the WCW title in January 2000 before jumping to the WWE. He never lost the title in the ring. His first match in the WWE was a loss to WWE champion Triple H.

In February 2000 WWE wrestler Tazz won the ECW title. Although it was a shirt reign, he did have a match with Triple H during this reign, and he lost.

By beating the WCW and ECW champs, Triple H unified all three world titles.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's not true. Chris Jericho was the last WCW Champion and Big Zeke is the ECW champion!!!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
So I just found out about what a wonderful person DDP is. Any cool stories about how he has been saving people's lives?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Dangersim posted:

So I just found out about what a wonderful person DDP is. Any cool stories about how he has been saving people's lives?

You can just ask him. He'll be more than happy to take your money and then tell you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WeaponX posted:

On that note, is Samoa Joe the biggest case of wasted potential in wrestling? The only other ones I could think of are Magnum T.A. and maybe Nigel? But both of those are mostly health related. What about just complete misuse also?
I keep coming back to this question trying to think of good examples. I think that the Brawl for All might have been the grossest misuse of talent in WWF, maybe not in terms of overall impact, but in terms of how toxic it was to every single person involved.

Marc Mero was a Golden Gloves champion, so you think he'd do great. But Steve Blackman was a bigger guy with more grappling experience (he teaches MMA now) so Mero lost to repeated takedowns. In the process, Blackman was injured and sidelined, so he got nothing out of his win. Savio Vega won his first round, then reinjured his arm and dropped out of the company. Droz and Hawk fought to a draw, and Hawk got injured and sidelined. Dan Severn beat The Godfather, then dropped out (supposedly at the best of management who were scared he'd crush everyone). So Godfather reenters the tournament and beats Scorpio, but he's not going to get over on losing to a guy 4 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter and then beating a guy 7 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter. I think he got injured, too.

Steve Williams was the guy they thought would win the tournament, because of his reputation as a tough guy. (I heard he once bit off Meng's nose.) Well, he hurt his hamstring early in his fight with Bart Gunn, which left him a sitting duck for a knockout punch. Boom, there goes Williams' WWE push and the entire mystique they'd been building around him. The chance to elevate Bart Gunn was the only turd blossom to grow out of making GBS threads on Williams' career, but that was doomed from the get-go because the plan for the Brawl-for-All was for the winner to fight Butterbean. To paraphrase Cornette, Butterbean looks like a human waterbed, but he's a trained professional fighter. You'd think Williams getting his clock cleaned would've taught them the difference between a tough guy who was a great college athlete 15 years ago and a competing pro fighter, but no. Butterbean knocked Gunn out in 30 seconds. The tournament injured people, made people look bad, and destroyed Steve Williams and Bart Gunn. It was all an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of MMA, and instead it made wrestlers look fake--which is ironic, because in 1998 the UFC was still struggling with legitimacy itself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Meng is the one who bit off another persons nose.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

bobkatt013 posted:

But could he beat Brock Lesnar???

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

But could he beat Brock Lesnar???

No idea, but I am pretty sure he coud sell him a car.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Really? Wow, I had not heard that story. Nope, never.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I though it was Haku? Meng vs. Haku is my dream match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bob Holly's story of the Brawl For All was pretty fun. Basically, they *really* thought Dr. Death would win, to the point where they had already paid him his prize money before he got in the ring with Bart Gunn. Then Bart got over when he shouldn't have, and WWE obviously loves it when that happens. So he wound up getting crushed for winning a shoot that was meant to be a work except it was a shoot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeathChicken posted:

Bob Holly's story of the Brawl For All was pretty fun. Basically, they *really* thought Dr. Death would win, to the point where they had already paid him his prize money before he got in the ring with Bart Gunn. Then Bart got over when he shouldn't have, and WWE obviously loves it when that happens. So he wound up getting crushed for winning a shoot that was meant to be a work except it was a shoot.

I love how you can use the Brawl For All Cornette shoot to chart Cornettes employment. Like at the time he talked about BFA, he was at TNA, you can tell because he says "Well it was Russo's idea, but Vince was the head of the company so it's all on him" Where as at other points he'll say "Russo's a loving moron and it's his fault" or blah blah blah, just a fun Cornette habit I've noticed.

But yeah, by all accounts the Brawl for All was utterly retarded in absolutely every way, and SHOULD have been scrapped once the fans started panning it. Hell it should have been changed (since then) to be fixed, especially since they wanted Dr. Death to win it all anyway.

Basically to understand the Brawl for All you have to understand they wanted Dr. Death to win it, at the same time, they wanted it to be real, because Russo is a loving moron. At the same time, anyone was eligible to join because the talent wasn't going anywhere and the extra cash and screen time would REALLY help. That's really the thing you gotta get, it's not like they picked Droz or The Godfather or Bart Gunn, these guys were just "Well we really want the money/spotlight"

Even if they had no real fighting experience!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, if they had made it voluntary like it was, but just make it a work to put over Steve Williams, it would have been, at least, not as awful.

But instead, what we got was Bart Gunn being killed in 2 punches, and almost the entire undercard being injured.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

projecthalaxy posted:

Or if its anything like the one super low-tier local indy I went to, you get to see that photo of Rikishi while a man mutters the phrase "card subject to change" into a mic just before the main event.

Skinty McEdger posted:

To be fair Rikishi no shows anything upto and including mid level indies, to the point I'm shocked anyone ever even tries to book him any more.

Yeah, I'll give this a pass. Rikishi was my main reason for going. Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if anyone knew what this particular move was called. It looks like a muta lock, but the guy doing the move rolls onto his stomach and lifts his opponent into the air. The guy making these videos calls it the "oriental scorpion" and I'm pretty sure he's the only person to call it that.

Nunzio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYIpVekH_w8&t=3m35s

Mikey Whipwreck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PaYrxuYjk&t=5m25s

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, if they had made it voluntary like it was, but just make it a work to put over Steve Williams, it would have been, at least, not as awful.

But instead, what we got was Bart Gunn being killed in 2 punches, and almost the entire undercard being injured.

The entire concept was just so ridiculous. I mean they wore gloves for fucks sake, none of these assholes were boxers or MMA fighters, they were pro-wrestlers, sure they could be strong, loving Dr. Death ripped the door of a burning car to save someone, but this was not what they were trained to do!

Even if the results were fixed, it would have been horrible, because it's all the things that can be unfun about MMA, mixed in with people who don't know how to DO the fun parts about MMA, cause none of them have been trained!

I mean, I'm not saying you couldn't script brawls instead of wrestling matches and have them be entertaining, you very much could do that. I mean you can do Cross-Counter finishes and one guy being beaten so bloody that he's completely slumped against the ropes, then have him go full badass and just block everything and smash the poo poo out of the guy who's been dominating him. But you can't say "You guys, fight a style you've never done before with a predetermined finish!"

You might as well have given them all masks and made it a High-flying Lucha contest.

And then the Butterbean thing. Oh god the Butterbean thing.

So okay, Bart Gunn won, so I guess we're pushing Bart Gunn, I mean he's the man who killed Dr. Death, it sucks the guy we wanted to win didn't win but now we can use the momentum (small as it was) to make Bart a main eventer.

So lets stick him in a match with someone who is a fighter. it's just like the Brawl for All! Except one guy has real-fight experience and the other is Bart Gunn. As a friend put as a colorful metaphor "Some match-ups are like hurling pebbles at tanks."

And worst of all - I loving love this by the way - worst of all they didn't even bother to fix the results so the guy who DOESN'T MATTER, BUTTERBEAN, Can't get the win. I mean that's TNA levels of "Bring in a guy to go over the main event and then they leave without any rhyme or reason."

It's like okay, maybe you wanna "preserve the integrity of the Brawl-For-All" and not change it mid-tournament. I mean that's retarded but I can follow that logic, but... My god, you just got through a string of the under card being utterly hosed, how did "hey lets fix this fight" not occur to them?

Every time you pull back a layer, it gets more awful.

Like... I believe the members of the "NEW" Midnight Express were opponents in the Brawl for All, no build up or angle as to their break up, they just were, and now they're legit trying to beat the poo poo out of each other.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Onmi posted:

So okay, Bart Gunn won, so I guess we're pushing Bart Gunn, I mean he's the man who killed Dr. Death
That's the thing, they didn't push him at all. They completely took him off TV after he won. He won Brawl For All on in August 1998, and the Butterbean match was March 1999.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Speaking of dumb things that went nowhere, what was the point of having Akebono battle Big Show at WRESTLEMANIA and then disappear forever?

Haha what the gently caress, I had no idea loving FLOYD MAYWEATHER also fought Big Show at a DIFFERENT Wrestlemania...why????

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

At the very least that was kind of entertaining, as somewhere along the line they seemed to realize that Mayweather is a loving annoying little poo poo and he started running around hitting people with brass knuckles and making it rain.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, they realized that the best way to handle a celebrity is make them heel. And Mayweather was particularly good at being a heel.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope that when Mayweather retires from boxing, WWE puts together Mayweather vs. Lesnar

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, they realized that the best way to handle a celebrity is make them heel. And Mayweather was particularly good at being a heel.

That's because Mayweather, like Ali before him, understood that more people will buy the fight if they hate the champ.

Boxers and UFC guys all understand wrestling a lot better than most wrestlers.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sticklefifer posted:

What are some "technicalities" in wrestling, either as running jokes or just unrecognized accolades? For example, there was a running gag among the IWC for a while that Maven is still technically in the 2002 Royal Rumble, and Chris Jericho and Antonio Inoki both have unrecognized WWF championship reigns.

Since you mentioned Raven, I will mention this:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ted DiBiase's unrecognized run with the WWF title too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VogeGandire posted:

Ted DiBiase's unrecognized run with the WWF title too.

From when he "bought" the title from Andre, or was there a different time?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VogeGandire posted:

What was the next PPV like after that? Did they just elevate a shitload of green talent, or did they have enough to cover it at the time?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hockles posted:

From when he "bought" the title from Andre, or was there a different time?

Yup, he done a few house shows with the title.

sticklefifer posted:

What was the next PPV like after that? Did they just elevate a shitload of green talent, or did they have enough to cover it at the time?

It was lucky it happened when it did, when the midcard roster was deep enough that they could lose, like, half a dozen guys in one go without too many issues.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

It was lucky it happened when it did, when the midcard roster was deep enough that they could lose, like, half a dozen guys in one go without too many issues.

I had heard the reason it was done was they had too big a midcard roster with not enough for them to do.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Mayweather/Show program ruled and was like the second best match on that card.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The best thing about Show/Mayweather was Money's cornerman screaming "HE CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!" anytime Show did something that wasn't punching.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EugeneJ posted:

I really hope that when Mayweather retires from boxing, WWE puts together Mayweather vs. Lesnar

Somehow Cena or HHH will win that match.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Hockles posted:

Since you mentioned Raven, I will mention this:

What's the backstory here?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It was a championship scramble match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bigass Moth posted:

What's the backstory here?

There was a match called the championship scramble. The premise was 6 people were in the match, the entrances may have been staggered, I don't remember. There was a time limit to the match, and whoever pinned whoever became interim/current WWE champ. Thus the image.

It was a ok idea in concept, but in practice it doesn't really work. Whoever is the current champ would just have to go around breaking up pinfalls to remain champ. Kind of like schoolyard king of the mountain.