Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The first I read on this very board! It may have been a WON thing. Unsure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

I will also believe JR and Heyman was a team that couldnt be beaten!

Heyman could sell ice to eskimos (except the ice would never show up)

JR and Heyman is probably my favorite commentary duo. they had great chemistry and Heyman was an extremely good color commentator. it's a shame that their run was so short-lived.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TL posted:

I've been watching a lot of 80s WWF PPVs lately, and I'm wondering what the consensus as to the best announce team of that era was. I'll always love Monsoon/Heenan, and Bobby The Brain is the finest color guy to have speak into the microphone, but I think Monsoon/Ventura worked better as a team, if that makes any sense.

The problem is that, as much as I loved him, Monsoon was a bad commentator. Bobby was smart, a great commentator, and frequently involved in storylines, so it was often impossible for him to find the right level to hit Gorilla's strengths while still saying everything he needed to say the way the Brain needed to be saying it. Ventura worked better with Gorilla because he had less of a role to play away from the table, so there was less for him to have to keep in mind and more leeway in how he engaged Gorilla, if that makes any sense.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

Is RVD still on TV/over?

Over - yes

On TV - some sort of work shoot crap I never get right, he said basically he wasn't thrilled with this little run in WWE. I expect he wanted a title of some sort. Unfortunately for him del rio is supposed to be kind of a big deal so he couldn't go over in that feud.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I wasn't watching wrestling when Samoa Joe had that stupid tattoo. I'm always cracking up when I see it but I dot know the context at all. Is there any?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

WeaponX posted:

I wasn't watching wrestling when Samoa Joe had that stupid tattoo. I'm always cracking up when I see it but I dot know the context at all. Is there any?

He was feuding with the Main Event Mafia and did a stretcher job. About a month later he came back with a penis drawn on his face and noticeably fatter threatening the Main Event Mafia with his "Nation of Violence" which mostly involved him waddling around and exchanging holds with Scott Steiner. I think in TNA continuity the whole "Nation of Violence" part ended up being a swerve to gain AJ Styles's trust or something for when Joe turned heel a couple months later, but he kept the penis facepaint for awhile.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

Over - yes

On TV - some sort of work shoot crap I never get right, he said basically he wasn't thrilled with this little run in WWE. I expect he wanted a title of some sort. Unfortunately for him del rio is supposed to be kind of a big deal so he couldn't go over in that feud.

I don't know if RVD wanted a title but I think he probably wanted a little more than being in the "jobber to the stars" role. that said I would've put the World Heavyweight Championship on him, at least then we'd have a WHC who's over.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

He was feuding with the Main Event Mafia and did a stretcher job. About a month later he came back with a penis drawn on his face and noticeably fatter threatening the Main Event Mafia with his "Nation of Violence" which mostly involved him waddling around and exchanging holds with Scott Steiner. I think in TNA continuity the whole "Nation of Violence" part ended up being a swerve to gain AJ Styles's trust or something for when Joe turned heel a couple months later, but he kept the penis facepaint for awhile.

Samoa Joe's got a posse dick painted on his face

On that note, is Samoa Joe the biggest case of wasted potential in wrestling? The only other ones I could think of are Magnum T.A. and maybe Nigel? But both of those are mostly health related. What about just complete misuse also?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

WeaponX posted:

On that note, is Samoa Joe the biggest case of wasted potential in wrestling? The only other ones I could think of are Magnum T.A. and maybe Nigel? But both of those are mostly health related. What about just complete misuse also?

Wasn't "the Red Rooster" Terry Taylor supposed to be pretty goddamn good before he became... y'know...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LvK posted:

Wasn't "the Red Rooster" Terry Taylor supposed to be pretty goddamn good before he became... y'know...

Yeah, the damage that did to his career is pretty amazing. He went from one of the best in the business to unusable.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, the damage that did to his career is pretty amazing. He went from one of the best in the business to unusable.

What prompted him to be so thoroughly hosed like that? That gimmick was legendarily bad.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

You forgot the ridiculous cardboard knife he occasionally threatened people with.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Xerzes posted:

You forgot the ridiculous cardboard knife he occasionally threatened people with.

Also the time he literally murdered Scott Steiner, only for him to return 2 weeks later totally fine.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

WeaponX posted:

Can it really be a waste if it happens in TNA?

I asked the same question a while back (who was wasted the most not counting injuries and death) and the consensus seemed to be Bam Bam Bigelow.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

crankdatbatman posted:

Is RVD still on TV/over?

His contract just expired, and he's apparently being a big baby about the push he got. Which is hilarious because he was pushed as an upper midcarder, wasn't constantly jobbing and I think had matches on every Raw and Smackdown. Did he expect to be WWE Champion or something?

e: beaten by a country mile

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 12, 2013

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I have an old MP3 on my computer for a good decade or more ago called "ECW Kaientai" which seems to be some kind of Japanese rock song. I have no idea where I got it from and wouldn't have listened to it in years. I chucked it up on Tindeck.

http://tindeck.com/listen/blyq

It's actually kind of catchy, but the MP3 I have cuts off midway through. Does anyone have any idea what the song is? Was it ever actually used by Kaientai? I tried searching for ECW Kaientai but the only record I can find of them being in ECW was a one-time match as bWo Japan. I'm wondering if the song was just mislabelled?

Alternative, if anyone understands any Japanese, even enough to just write the lyrics down, I can probably Google that.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I'd Google it for you if it was in Japanese, but that song sounds pretty Spanish to me.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Oh. Apparently my ability to detect other languages isn't what I thought it was.

I guess I just assumed it was Japanese because it had Kaientai in the name :sweatdrop: Sounds likely that it has absolutely nothing to do with Kaientai then.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

I've never really heard any stories about them going out of their way to keep Cena happy.

Mickie James

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

His contract just expired, and he's apparently being a big baby about the push he got. Which is hilarious because he was pushed as an upper midcarder, wasn't constantly jobbing and I think had matches on every Raw and Smackdown. Did he expect to be WWE Champion or something?

e: beaten by a country mile

Considering the reactions he got were on roughly the same level as Bryan and Orton around the same time, I'd say it'd be fair to be treated like a consistent thread. They turned him into just another guy within a month of his return.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Valeyard posted:

Mickie James

I think that's more along the lines of "Okay, so they were having an affair, and then he decided to break it off. Probably a good idea we don't have them travel to the same show."

I mean, that's just managment.

Unless you mean overlooking the fact that he was having an affair. Which while a dick move, technically isn't in violation of anything regarding his job. Wrestlers sleep with the women wrestlers all the time.

Unless I'm wrong and he requested/demanded she be moved to Smackdown, and placed in a humiliating feud with Michelle McCool.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rodney the Piper posted:

Considering the reactions he got were on roughly the same level as Bryan and Orton around the same time, I'd say it'd be fair to be treated like a consistent threat. They turned him into just another guy within a month of his return.

He's also not the same RVD that he was during the Invasion. He's older, slower, and should be elevating younger guys at this point in his career.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

He's also not the same RVD that he was during the Invasion. He's older, slower, and should be elevating younger guys at this point in his career.

You aren't really effective putting people over if you don't mean anything, though. You could have given him a short run with the belt after a four-way or something and then had ADR or whoever decisively beat him in a feud. I don't think he needed or wanted a long-term title run, but doing something where beating him had meaning is what should have happened. I think they failed pretty dramatically at that. Neither ADR or RVD benefited from that feud.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was in a pattern for a while of beating someone on Raw, then he'd lose to that person on Smackdown. He'd beat someone on Smackdown, then lose to that person on Raw. Wishy washy nothing booking, which WWE does to everyone, but still.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Onmi posted:

Unless I'm wrong and he requested/demanded she be moved to Smackdown, and placed in a humiliating feud with Michelle McCool.

I don't remember how that feud ended. I know Mickie beat her for the title in like 10 seconds, but then they continued it past that and added Beth Phoenix and Maria Kanellis for some reason, didn't they? How did the feud actually end after that?

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
Two questions:

1) Has anyone used the reverse hurricanrana as a finisher? It looks devastating and I cringe every time I see it, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone pinned with it.

2) What are considered to be the finest William Regal matches?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sprint posted:

2) What are considered to be the finest William Regal matches?

Benoit vs Regal from the Pillman Memorial Show is genuinely a 5*-level match.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

cmndstab posted:

I have an old MP3 on my computer for a good decade or more ago called "ECW Kaientai" which seems to be some kind of Japanese rock song. I have no idea where I got it from and wouldn't have listened to it in years. I chucked it up on Tindeck.

http://tindeck.com/listen/blyq

It's actually kind of catchy, but the MP3 I have cuts off midway through. Does anyone have any idea what the song is? Was it ever actually used by Kaientai? I tried searching for ECW Kaientai but the only record I can find of them being in ECW was a one-time match as bWo Japan. I'm wondering if the song was just mislabelled?

Alternative, if anyone understands any Japanese, even enough to just write the lyrics down, I can probably Google that.

That's Heroes del Silencio's (Spanish rock band) song Entre dos tierras. Used by Kaientai DX while in Japan and also on the ECW Barely Legal PPV.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

WeaponX posted:

On the topic, what the gently caress happened to him? I watched the CM Punk-Samoa Joe matches, then Daniels-Styles-Joe and Joe-Angle, then just kind of lost interest in wrestling for awhile. I came back and I never hear about him anymore.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

On the topic, what the gently caress happened to him? I watched the CM Punk-Samoa Joe matches, then Daniels-Styles-Joe and Joe-Angle, then just kind of lost interest in wrestling for awhile. I came back and I never hear about him anymore.

TNA.

That's it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

TNA killed him dead

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Part of the blame should go to Joe himself. If you don't like how you're booked it's still no excuse to give a half rear end effort and let yourself go completely.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

budreck posted:

Part of the blame should go to Joe himself. If you don't like how you're booked it's still no excuse to give a half rear end effort and let yourself go completely.

Eh... considering the poo poo he was given over Russo's booking mixed with his age I'd say its a completely rational and justified reason to stop giving a poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

He did get out of shape, but in the ring I have never seen his work rate really drop. He has bad matches against turds or when there is overbooking, but everyone does. When he gets someone good the results are great.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I will never forgive TNA for ruining Samoa Joe. I mean, I'd never forgive them anyway for all the other horrible things they did but ruining Samoa Joe is the one that really twists the knife for me. Just gently caress TNA.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Eh... considering the poo poo he was given over Russo's booking mixed with his age I'd say its a completely rational and justified reason to stop giving a poo poo.

Then he should quit. You're doing a disservice to paying fans when you don't act like you care about your job.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

You pay to watch TNA?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sticklefifer posted:

I don't remember how that feud ended. I know Mickie beat her for the title in like 10 seconds, but then they continued it past that and added Beth Phoenix and Maria Kanellis for some reason, didn't they? How did the feud actually end after that?

Michelle and Layla beat her into the ground and she left the company.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

You pay to watch TNA?

You watch TNA?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MassRafTer posted:

He did get out of shape, but in the ring I have never seen his work rate really drop. He has bad matches against turds or when there is overbooking, but everyone does. When he gets someone good the results are great.
Yeah I mean hell he had a great match with Austin Aries last year, he still has it and I still hope that when this poo poo heap of a company dies he goes off to better things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

budreck posted:

Joe also did not want to go to WWE, as in consciously did not want to jump even when it became clear TNA was wasting him. Vince would have liked him, without question, back in 2006 and he would have found a niche in the WWE system. But Joe was adamant that he wasn't wanted in WWE (which could have been true, but seeing how Umaga became Vince's #1 priority shortly thereafter it's hard to not picture Joe in that spot).