Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

now you have to write a condescending and bad article explaining it to the mundanes

and then they can go "oh poo poo i think i wrote some java i didn't understand so it must be monads, right".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nontechnical woman on this train: my Web design class was easy, but python was hard

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

sarehu posted:

PL (Programming Language) people: Should I use U+0305 as the syntax for bitwise complement?

Example:

x = a̅ + 1

yeah

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

tef posted:

and then they can go "oh poo poo i think i wrote some java i didn't understand so it must be monads, right".

Ask your doctor. It might be monads!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Raft's been reviewed a bit: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-857.pdf

Particularly, they review the choices of timeouts picked by the Raft authors and assumptions about the speed of their leader election algorithm, which in practice turned out to be slower than reported (due to generally healthy clusters having more good candidates than the original paper had assumed)

The best bit is this one on asymmetric netsplits or cases like mobile devices leaving and joining networks:

p49 posted:

The mobile devices will often be disconnected from the majority of other devices, thus running election after election without being able to gain enough votes. When these devices rejoin the network, they will force a new election as their term will be much higher than the leader. This leads to frequently disconnected devices becoming the leader when reattached to the network, thus causing regular unavailability of the system when they leave again.

[...]

It is also interesting to consider the impact of a single node being behind an asymmetric partition such as a NAT box or firewall (Figure 4.6(b)). This node will repeatedly re-run elections as it will not be able to receive incoming messages, each RequestVotes will have a higher term than the last, forcing the leader to step down.

[...]

In particular, a cluster can be rendered useless by a frequently disconnected node or a node with an asymmetric partition (such as behind a NAT).

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
awww yiss

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the best bit of that paper is that the recommendations for improving raft make it harder to reason about than paxos

also this:

quote:

In my experience, all distributed consensus algorithms are either:
1: Paxos,
2: Paxos with extra unnecessary cruft, or
3: broken.
- Mike Burrows

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

The best bit is this one on asymmetric netsplits or cases like mobile devices leaving and joining networks:

This is the sort of stuff that is absolutely obvious in hindsight, but I would not have been able to see it in all my life.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is the sort of stuff that is absolutely obvious in hindsight, but I would not have been able to see it in all my life.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the talent deficit posted:

the best bit of that paper is that the recommendations for improving raft make it harder to reason about than paxos

also this:

that's a p fun quote

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Suspicious Dish posted:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
all the worst bugs are like taht ;_; porgamming is a vale of tears

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Progressive JPEG posted:

if i liked twilight princess should i try skyward sword??

im a weirdo that has a gamecube but not a wii

you should try and play it on an emulator and then when you hit bugs in the emulator you fix them and then after a while you notice you have more fun fixing the bugs than playing the game and then you're me trying to play old ultima games

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MononcQc posted:

Raft's been reviewed a bit: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-857.pdf

Particularly, they review the choices of timeouts picked by the Raft authors and assumptions about the speed of their leader election algorithm, which in practice turned out to be slower than reported (due to generally healthy clusters having more good candidates than the original paper had assumed)

this is cool but lol @ making it byzantine tolerant in future work

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Just learned today that there was a bug in RethinkDB where any index-using descending-order key range query, such as r.table('foo').between(1, 5).orderBy({index: r.desc('HP')}), will return values in an exinclusive interval (1, 5] instead of the inexclusive interval [1, 5).

(I'm really making this post to spread the idea of using the word "inexclusive" instead of "clopen.")

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

sarehu posted:

Just learned today that there was a bug in RethinkDB where any index-using descending-order key range query, such as r.table('foo').between(1, 5).orderBy({index: r.desc('HP')}), will return values in an exinclusive interval (1, 5] instead of the inexclusive interval [1, 5).

(I'm really making this post to spread the idea of using the word "inexclusive" instead of "clopen.")

clopen should be reserved for sets which are both open and closed, so agreed.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Hrm. It's really disturbing, then, that I've heard the term used for half-open intervals.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I remember reading once about how every basic notion in topology has a correspondent equivalent notion in logic

so someone who knows about this please tell me the correspondent notion in logic for a clopen set

FAKE EDIT: I just found it. "Note that this gives a natural interpretation to clopen sets: they're precisely the properties whose truth and falsehood can both be verified in finite time."

this sounds so loving bullshit

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
They're probably the same thing in category theory, or affine category theory in the context of affine logic spaces.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

power botton posted:

what is so mission critical + urgent that you both had to install it on ubuntu and upgrayedd at 5 AM

nothing. I just get up really early because my day job sucks and I need to get as much useful time out of the day as possible.

also I didn't even try upgrade, I just power cycled and that broke it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I remember reading once about how every basic notion in topology has a correspondent equivalent notion in logic

so someone who knows about this please tell me the correspondent notion in logic for a clopen set

FAKE EDIT: I just found it. "Note that this gives a natural interpretation to clopen sets: they're precisely the properties whose truth and falsehood can both be verified in finite time."

okay I think I halfway understand that after staring at it for a while

The hard step is defining 'open'. In this case it's a semi-decidable theory. If an instance is true, you can algorithmically prove it true. If it's false, you might never be able to prove an answer. The blog post gives a physical analogy of checking if someone is over six feet tall with ever-finer-grained rulers. You can never disprove the idea that they're taller but only by a miniscule amount. More relevant to your question, checking if one statement implies another in first order logic is semi-decidable.

So closed means that the opposite of a statement is semi-decidable. If it's false, you can prove it false.

Then clopen means you can prove either case reliably. It becomes a pretentious synonym for 'decidable'.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Isn't the only clopen set the empty one though?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

nope, also the entire topological space

e: to actually be relevant instead of snarky, you can get non-trivial clopen sets by having subsets that aren't connected. you can see how that is applicable to boolean algebra

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 18, 2014

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

what the gently caress are y'all talking about

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
something worse than monads

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Symbolic Butt posted:

sarehu posted:

They're probably the same thing in category theory, or affine category theory in the context of affine logic spaces.

Yeah probs, topoi are used to model alternate systems of logic

Open and closed not being mutually exclusive in the context of topology is one of the dumbest things

Thus clopen sets.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cloacan sets

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
clopen is a bit weird, because closed doesn't mean it includes anything in particular

any time your border isn't in the space you're using you get a clopen set

'rational numbers between sqrt(2) and pi' is clopen

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dylan16807 posted:

clopen is a bit weird, because closed doesn't mean it includes anything in particular

any time your border isn't in the space you're using you get a clopen set

'rational numbers between sqrt(2) and pi' is clopen

... no???

clopen has a very specific meaning

namely an open set whose complement is also open

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

... no???

clopen has a very specific meaning

namely an open set whose complement is also open

"less than pi" in the space of rationals is open
the complement of "less than pi" in the space of rationals is also open
so it's clopen

in the space of integers it's clopen, in the space of reals it's not clopen

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dylan16807 posted:

You mean rationals, not integers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

clonads

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
cloppen

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dylan16807 posted:

"less than pi" in the space of rationals is open
the complement of "less than pi" in the space of rationals is also open
so it's clopen

is this like when they would draw lines on graph paper, and you would draw a circle around a point if it wasn't included, or a solid dot if the point was included?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
stop posting about clopping, it's disgusting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Malcolm XML posted:

Open and closed not being mutually exclusive in the context of topology is one of the dumbest things

well they really are for the most part, clopen sets are fairly unusual

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
category theory is a fandom

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like Casey Muratori's talk on API design and evaluation a lot. anyone know of other good resources in the same vein?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

category theory is a fandom

a fandom is a homomorphic functor over cogroupoids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde