Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

:yeah: My online friend drew this and is cool and good. Kinda awesome to see her art randomly getting posted in here.

tell your friend i love carbys :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

victrix posted:

Since the last time I played was 4.0 and I didn't finish the msq (level 68), is there a handy catchup guide for things I should be doing/seeing/not doing when I get up and running again?

befriend a crafter

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's a legitimate thing to be upset about

I just wanna sit there and spam Malefic II after the always hellish Famfrit run, man. Healers need a dang break too!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess everyone hasn't decided yet. :(

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess everyone hasn't decided yet. :(

I'll probably bring SAM. I normally play with RDM cause it's simple as hell and really forgiving when you're still learning fights, but I honestly enjoy SAM and how you're always pressing a button is more fun.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What jobs are you going to use in HoH tomorrow?

I usually play RDM a lot, but I want to branch out to more complex jobs so I can have variety and leveled everything to 61 in anticipation of this. I'm gonna try either Bard or Dragoon first, I think.

I just happen to have SAM at 61 so I'm taking that in to start!

DPS queues for the SB dungeons were starting to get really long so I'm happy there's a replacement finally, but I like the dungeons enough I'm gonna keep leveling AST/PLD/DRK in those unless HoH ends up being really fun or efficient.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I keep hearing people bad-mouth SAM, but it seems fun and I feel like I'd enjoy it more than MNK.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Argas posted:

I just never do Alliance raids as BLM. Hell, even trials and 8-man raids if I don't feel like putting in the extra effort.

effort? in a 24 man?

you can probably outdps at least half the raid by doing the 50 BLM rotation and not dying to mechanics.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I keep hearing people bad-mouth SAM, but it seems fun and I feel like I'd enjoy it more than MNK.

The reason SAM gets a lot of poo poo is because the only thing it does is damage. This is good if it's in competent hands, but if they're not playing it well, you're vastly better served bringing any other DPS class (which at least have some utility, however minor).

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm going to take SAM into HoH too, and while I don't LOVE it, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Griz posted:

effort? in a 24 man?

you can probably outdps at least half the raid by doing the 50 BLM rotation and not dying to mechanics.

As someone who has played many 24 man raids as an inebriated blm let me tell you, you don't even need to do this much.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It gets bad mouthed the same way MNK gets bad mouthed, so don't let that deter you.

It just gets more heat because it's newer and it's numbers were tuned way up but it turns out synergy and utility trumps raw DPS.

... well, normally anyways. RDM is the exception that proves the rule, or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Locke posted:

It gets bad mouthed the same way MNK gets bad mouthed, so don't let that deter you.

It just gets more heat because it's newer and it's numbers were tuned way up but it turns out synergy and utility trumps raw DPS.

... well, normally anyways. RDM is the exception that proves the rule, or something.

The thing about RDM is that the specific sort of utility it brings can be made up for with actually good play and then RDM is left with very little else it can contribute.

Vermain posted:

The reason SAM gets a lot of poo poo is because the only thing it does is damage. This is good if it's in competent hands, but if they're not playing it well, you're vastly better served bringing any other DPS class (which at least have some utility, however minor).

The last round of buffs have them solidly in the lead and if you're in any composition that isn't regularly seeing 90th percentile numbers they're perfectly fine and probably better than the alternatives. The synergistic compounding buffs only really work if your entire raid is waiting on timers and coordinating burst in sync. Except the DRG/BRD/MCH composition I guess, they have a lot more leeway in what they can do.

As for actual gameplay flow, I think SAM is one of the best designed jobs in the entire game. It balances out moment-to-moment decisionmaking with overall mechanical difficulty really well. Many other classes fall short either on being way, way too rigid with what they can do (DRG) or fairly mindless (RDM). I think BRD is a close second to SAM.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

As for actual gameplay flow, I think SAM is one of the best designed jobs in the entire game. It balances out moment-to-moment decisionmaking with overall mechanical difficulty really well. Many other classes fall short either on being way, way too rigid with what they can do (DRG) or fairly mindless (RDM). I think BRD is a close second to SAM.

SAM is also the least screwed over by boss invincibility BS. Just about every other DPS class has some way they can be screwed by a boss going invuln, and I think the worst that can happen to SAM is their combo dropping and/or losing their 20 kenki damage buff I can't remember. There's no super-crucial timers like GL or BotD to deal with.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Which DPS job involves the least hotbar bloat? I had sorta figured Summoner with Ifrit on Sic, but it sounds like that's not true at higher levels.

I just suck at reaching for buttons.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I will probably bring AST since a lot ppl prefer to play DPS but RDM is always waiting for me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LordHippoman posted:

Which DPS job involves the least hotbar bloat? I had sorta figured Summoner with Ifrit on Sic, but it sounds like that's not true at higher levels.

If you move your WASD to EDSF you'll magically find like 8-10 extra keys that are easy to reach.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can use a mouse to click the buttons located on your UI

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

the summoner rotation is like two minutes long at 70 no way you're not playing a piano during all that

red mage doesn't have that many buttons I don't think

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

LordHippoman posted:

SAM's pretty simple, especially considering most self-buffs are baked into the normal rotation (as opposed to procs or cooldowns). Optimal gets a bit trickier but is still quite manageable. RDM played adequately is forgiving but optimal play requires moderate reach and proc awareness. DRG is rather busy regardless (which is wild since it's one of the simplest classes to 50).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

BLM, RDM, and SAM probably. I've avoided SMN/SCH for ages due to PS4 life.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you're just using ifrit you can keep him on sic outside of all but the most extreme scenarios. Garuda's buff is the one worth planning around (because it affects your pDPS.)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The cotton hustle worked out

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Griz posted:

effort? in a 24 man?

You still have to press a number of different buttons and while dying because you stood in the lava may require less effort than staying alive and contributing, I'd prefer not to be sabotaging things through my laziness.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Why did they have to add Scythes to the Mogstation god damnit :fivecbux:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Control Volume posted:

The cotton hustle worked out

Congrats! We pulled one out of PotD tonight for a friend too, just in time for everybody to flock to the new one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the new item search :swoon:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Phone posted:

the new item search :swoon:

Thank you Lord Jesus

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Best part of the update:

quote:

The description of the item Laurel has been changed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

SAM is also the least screwed over by boss invincibility BS. Just about every other DPS class has some way they can be screwed by a boss going invuln, and I think the worst that can happen to SAM is their combo dropping and/or losing their 20 kenki damage buff I can't remember. There's no super-crucial timers like GL or BotD to deal with.

Losing your 50% weaponskill buff because the boss jumps between activating it and your huge banana castbar finishes sucks. Losing Meikyo Shisui because the boss jumps the instant you use it is real bad. Nether is as annoying as Belias or Construct 7 jumping right before any other melee dps can finish a must-finish combo.

The job you run HoH as is less important than whether or not you run it in your underwear.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Plot-relevant gloves. :v:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Alder posted:

BLM, RDM, and SAM probably. I've avoided SMN/SCH for ages due to PS4 life.

SMN works fine on gamepad though? All of your main buttons fit into one cross hotbar plus the 8 slot XHB. The only pet commands you’ll need frequently are Sic to get Ifrit to change target and Contagion for Garuda, and you can slot those into the main hotbars.

SCH does not fit into that many slots, but you can logically split it into healing and DPS abilities, and put faerie stuff and Aetherflow heals on the XHB. Like so:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
:stare:

Summoning Titan in the single floor room in Heaven on High is an experience.

Edit: The floor 30 boss was pretty fun.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Losing your 50% weaponskill buff because the boss jumps between activating it and your huge banana castbar finishes sucks. Losing Meikyo Shisui because the boss jumps the instant you use it is real bad. Nether is as annoying as Belias or Construct 7 jumping right before any other melee dps can finish a must-finish combo.

The job you run HoH as is less important than whether or not you run it in your underwear.

Point, you don't completely prevent bullshit from ruining stuff, but your stuff being ruined is usually less irritating than having to rebuild GL or Wildfire whiffing or popping Bahamut right when the boss jumps. SAM rebuilds its power much faster than other jobs, it feels like.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Point, you don't completely prevent bullshit from ruining stuff, but your stuff being ruined is usually less irritating than having to rebuild GL or Wildfire whiffing or popping Bahamut right when the boss jumps. SAM rebuilds its power much faster than other jobs, it feels like.

While it's true that SAM won't be hosed out of a burst phase (because they don't really have a burst phase) by a boss jump, if more burst based classes manage their cooldowns around boss jumps they get hurt much less by the downtime than pure resource based classes like SAM. That's the main reason why SAM gets out DPSed on fights with lots of downtime like Clown Kefka and Guardian but has a comfortable lead in 100% uptime fights like Chadarnook and God Kefka.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

:stare:

Summoning Titan in the single floor room in Heaven on High is an experience.

Edit: The floor 30 boss was pretty fun.

First time we did it was over, uh, quickly. Spam 3 primals and the boss is mostly dead, so I'm not even sure what mechanics it had. Also yeah, using a primal to wipe out an entire floor is nice.

While the weapons do take 100 total aetherpool, at least it isn't as bad as original PoTD was. Got up to a little above 30/30 from going 1-30 twice + 31-40 once. Wasn't in a full group so I didn't want to risk 41+ being a waste of time due to not knowing mechanics and being super squishy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Folks... Koji-Fox must be stopped.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"The description of the item Laurel has been changed."

koji fox is a menace who must be stopped

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

"The description of the item Laurel has been changed."

koji fox is a menace who must be stopped

What the gently caress, Koji.

Vermain posted:

Folks... Koji-Fox must be stopped.

What the gently caress, Koji!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Maguoob posted:

First time we did it was over, uh, quickly. Spam 3 primals and the boss is mostly dead, so I'm not even sure what mechanics it had.
I had someone in group who used titan before the boss was attacked. Of course, the boss quickly regained his health :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Well, that's a new one. FFXIV instantly shut down while I was wandering through Kugane; no error message or anything. Anyone else get something similar?