Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbc you are literally too stupid to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

fleshweasel posted:

tbc you are literally too stupid to live

lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

i mean drat 1058 pages and peeps still gettin owned

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

M31 posted:

those php arrays sound pretty sweet to be honest. they should name them something different to set them apart from other plebeian languages, maybe something like "map"

nah. PHP arrays do what "arrays" in other languages do but even better, so there's no reason to rename them. if PHP implemented regular "arrays" they should have a different name, like ShittyArray or maybe even SplFixedArray

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

MononcQc posted:

PHP's arrays are a hybrid between arrays, sparse arrays, maps, and sets. They do it all with one data structure, so it's super expensive.

exactly. this is why you have people like you see above scream and cry and whine about PHP arrays even though they are literally the same as old style arrays but even better. (from the standpoint of the end user of the programming language--the developer. maybe the arrays work differently on the inside, but that doesn't matter.) you can pretend a PHP array is an old array and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but because there might possibly be some miniscule performance hit, the useless academics ooze out of the woodwork to bitch.

developers shouldn't have to care about stuff like how much memory an array uses, and with PHP you don't.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
memory and cpu usage doesn't matter as long as everything you do is completely insignificant

it's the mental poison of PHP that has lead web devs to solutions like these as they acknowledge that no, the performance of their favorite scripting language is not up to par

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2010/02/02/hiphop-for-php--move-fast/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol if you care about anything other than the following in a programming language:

- is there too many curly braces
- is there not enough curly braces
- do you have to put a period on top of a comma symbol after very line
- what good apps use it
- is there a sublime text plugin for it that's good
- do you have to write var
- does anyone stupid evangelize it

that's it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

memory and cpu usage doesn't matter as long as everything you do is completely insignificant

it's the mental poison of PHP that has lead web devs to solutions like these as they acknowledge that no, the performance of their favorite scripting language is not up to par

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2010/02/02/hiphop-for-php--move-fast/

what exactly is it that you're bitching about here? that they made a faster interpreter? that's exactly what they should be doing.

code should always be written in the clearest, most straightforward manner possible. if you're worried about performance you're not going to do that; instead you're going to add all kinds of little hacks and "optimizations". (and of course most developers rely on nothing but the power of belief when it comes to these optimizations. what are benchmarks?? i learned about this in my CS class, it must be faster!)

i readily admit that PHP's performance needs to be improved. the only place that can happen is the interpreter. and PHPNG, by all accounts, looks like it's going to be a quantum leap in terms of performance. the future of PHP has never been brighter :)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the future of PHP has never been brighter :)

php burning on the garbage heap of old and poo poo technologies nobody really wants to work with any more does put out a fair bit of light i guess yeah

30 years ago you'd have been evangelising REXX i bet

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

what exactly is it that you're bitching about here? that they made a faster interpreter? that's exactly what they should be doing.

code should always be written in the clearest, most straightforward manner possible. if you're worried about performance you're not going to do that; instead you're going to add all kinds of little hacks and "optimizations". (and of course most developers rely on nothing but the power of belief when it comes to these optimizations. what are benchmarks?? i learned about this in my CS class, it must be faster!)

i readily admit that PHP's performance needs to be improved. the only place that can happen is the interpreter. and PHPNG, by all accounts, looks like it's going to be a quantum leap in terms of performance. the future of PHP has never been brighter :)

tbc.. was right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if writing clear code makes ur code slower, something in ur language or tools is bad.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

- do you have to put a period on top of a comma symbol after very line

this one's called a semicolon. you might not have learned about it since most bloggers don't use them.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they should be using a better language in the first place.

have you ever done any kind of performance profiling because this is a thing that devs do. premature optimization or optimizing on hunches is stupid too but if you know your tools at all you are aware of how to identify bottlenecks

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

php burning on the garbage heap of old and poo poo technologies nobody really wants to work with any more does put out a fair bit of light i guess yeah

30 years ago you'd have been evangelising REXX i bet

it's cute that web hipsters think it matters that they're prissy bitches who don't want to work with anything other than their precious perubythonode. maybe it would matter if they ever stuck with one language long enough for it to build up momentum, but python basically committed purist seppuku, ruby enthusiasm is dying out, and lol @ node

meanwhile product managers and bosses with actual sense go "hey, what's been around for a while, is reliable, powers lots of heavily used big-name sites, and we can find lots of developers for. ok PHP it is"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

they should be using a better language in the first place.

have you ever done any kind of performance profiling because this is a thing that devs do. premature optimization or optimizing on hunches is stupid too but if you know your tools at all you are aware of how to identify bottlenecks

well now you're not only talking about an imaginary ideal language, but imaginary ideal developers too, on an imaginary ideal project where they got to pick what language they used. a fitting line of argument for a useless academic

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's funny that php and js are getting the most performance boosts because 2 companies are literally throwing millions of man hours trying to improve them

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i finally got my bespoke artisinal lovingly-handcrafted float to string routines to pass the test harness for every float in the domain i needed to display (about 2.4 bn out of the 4.4 bn single precision floats). the effort was complicated by some instances where fcvt_r() rounds some numbers which have a trailing 5 incorrectly. :toot: now i;ve got my kilobytes back and one less dependency on a newlib routine

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the gods of capitalism are pissing on every CS phd ever to have phd'd

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i finally got my bespoke artisinal lovingly-handcrafted float to string routines to pass the test harness for every float in the domain i needed to display (about 2.4 bn out of the 4.4 bn single precision floats). the effort was complicated by some instances where fcvt_r() rounds some numbers which have a trailing 5 incorrectly. :toot: now i;ve got my kilobytes back and one less dependency on a newlib routine

white & steele not good enuff for u

or maybe grisu?????

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's cute that web hipsters think it matters that they're prissy bitches who don't want to work with anything other than their precious perubythonode. maybe it would matter if they ever stuck with one language long enough for it to build up momentum, but python basically committed purist seppuku, ruby enthusiasm is dying out, and lol @ node

meanwhile product managers and bosses with actual sense go "hey, what's been around for a while, is reliable, powers lots of heavily used big-name sites, and we can find lots of developers for. ok Java or C++ it is"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FamDav posted:

this one's called a semicolon. you might not have learned about it since most bloggers don't use them.

if u use semicolons or are attracted to languags which use semicolons you should consider taking yourself in for a semicolonoscopy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FamDav posted:

Java or c++

I think you meant c# there, nobody writes webs in c++ but asp is pretty good if shaggar is to be believed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would not write web stuff in anything other than the current aspnetwebstack these days. its too good.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

shaggar whats the diffenece between all of these

i just want to make a web site which one should i click on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
MVC 4 web application.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ok thanks!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I would not write web stuff in anything other than the current aspnetwebstack these days. its too good.

i am currently attempting to do a web for not quite the first time (crapped out a couple little toy things in python cgi scripts) in asp.net and it seems p decent, not that ive done much yet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
MVC and WebAPI are excellent frameworks and the one problem with them is they have a lot of overlap, but they're being merged in vnext which comes out next year but is in community preview in vs2015 if ur feeling brave.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

lead guy in my group is trying to hard sell node by telling everyone it's better than webapi which is what the current rest stack is in

I asked him why he thinks it's better and he said it's faster and easier to write

he's never written anything using node

I asked him which of the 20 half finished sql server drivers he plans on using, but he hasn't figured that out yet

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

woah this is pretty cool

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

tiny bug child you should try this it even has arrays!

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the idea of node is an actual mind virus infecting enterprise developers and managers that are desperately trying to sound relevant

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

lead guy in my group is trying to hard sell node by telling everyone it's better than webapi which is what the current rest stack is in

I asked him why he thinks it's better and he said it's faster and easier to write

he's never written anything using node

I asked him which of the 20 half finished sql server drivers he plans on using, but he hasn't figured that out yet

node is really bad and idk where hes getting the idea that it would be faster than webapi. like is he the kind of guy who gets mad at descriptive variable names and brackets?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

MVC and WebAPI are excellent frameworks and the one problem with them is they have a lot of overlap, but they're being merged in vnext which comes out next year but is in community preview in vs2015 if ur feeling brave.

im using vs2015 preview because this is a toy project so what the hell

seems really nice, got an occasional crash or thing that stopped working until i restarted it but coming from embdev land this stuff is fantastic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dicky B posted:

woah this is pretty cool

yeah. don't use viewbag even tho it has it in the default template. use real models pls!

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

node is really bad and idk where hes getting the idea that it would be faster than webapi. like is he the kind of guy who gets mad at descriptive variable names and brackets?

he tab aligns variable assignments

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah. don't use viewbag even tho it has it in the default template. use real models pls!
ok i am following this training course atm and everything seems very cogent. I'm used to MVC style development but only in desktop apps

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we had a dude trying to evangelise node at our place and the senior developers came back with a nice patronising "ok let's wait and see if it lasts any longer than the last ten next big things"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Arcsech posted:

im using vs2015 preview because this is a toy project so what the hell

seems really nice, got an occasional crash or thing that stopped working until i restarted it but coming from embdev land this stuff is fantastic

also make sure to setup ur free team fortress server on visualstudio.com so u can use it for source control + maybe project planning if u want but also if u want to put it on a server u just get azure web site in ur account and publish ur project 2 the site and blam theres u webzone ready 2 go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dicky B posted:

ok i am following this training course atm and everything seems very cogent. I'm used to MVC style development but only in desktop apps

just fyi entity framework is a big pos but these are ok courses for the most part.