Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

O wow it's this year? Dunno if that's good or bad given AC's history. Still it's hard to resist a Greek-themed asscreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Between this and RDR2 it's gonna be a killer goddamn fall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that looks pretty cool

I wonder if there'll be no hidden blade at all, given the spear stuff.

Also I like the idea of recruiting sailors for your boat

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Safeword posted:

October is a hell of a lot closer than I was expecting.

Yeah, I was thinking 2019 for sure.

I'm super stoked for this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Since Socrates is in, I wonder if Plato and Aristotle are going to be on opposite ends of this pro-Assassin/proto-Templar thing.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

exquisite tea posted:

O wow it's this year? Dunno if that's good or bad given AC's history. Still it's hard to resist a Greek-themed asscreed.

5th of October according to the video that was posted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is one of the more thoroughly leaked games I can remember but it seems to be working out because everything they're showing looks really good. "Hey, did you like Origins? Here's more of that, plus a whole lot more. Oh, and did you like Black Flag? Cool, how about if you could recruit unique sailors with passive bonuses for your ship?"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean the reason origins took so long was because they essentially rebuilt the series from the ground up, now that they have the foundations they can make new entries quicker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

The actual Odyssey is pretty rich with source material, I hope they steal liberally from it.

I also hope the tutorial consists of you breaking out of the wooden horse and clearing the guards from the walls of Troy.

nah they will probably be stealing from this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Peloponnesian_War

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

To be fair Ubisoft has always done a great job in their historical research for these games so we might see something really well done. For all the flaws about AC3, the one thing that it got right was how the American Revolution wasn't a divine event or anything

Yeah it is a little early to judge; I’m sure the AC team isn’t going to make 300: the game in tyool 2018, but honestly even if this is a game where you’re an oily spartan sailing around putting down slave revolts I’ll buy it Day 1, this game looks cool as hell

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

https://streamable.com/v5r4g

Gameplay and info dump, I'm going to cream holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

drat day one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I mean the reason origins took so long was because they essentially rebuilt the series from the ground up, now that they have the foundations they can make new entries quicker

Yeah, same engine, probably a bit of iterative tweaking but fundamentally the same new combat and parkour systems, the naval stuff already trailed the way it was in III for Black Flag.

Ubisoft has always been able to pump out a second game a year after the first one with a big graphics and gameplay revision has come out. And the second game has always been much better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, same engine, probably a bit of iterative tweaking but fundamentally the same new combat and parkour systems, the naval stuff already trailed the way it was in III for Black Flag.

Ubisoft has always been able to pump out a second game a year after the first one with a big graphics and gameplay revision has come out. And the second game has always been much better.

Also because based on how long the credits are they employ a small nation to work on each game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They also made plenty of Greek building assets for Origins that they can probably reuse some of.

That said I'd be surprised if this was made from the ground up in a year. I'd guess Ubisoft went ahead and took a risk on developing a second game with the framework of Origins while Origins was still in development. (Didn't Origins start development shortly after Black Flag released?)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Safeword posted:

October is a hell of a lot closer than I was expecting.

Yearly releases lol

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yearly releases wouldn't bother me. I like Ubisoft games. :shobon:

I am glad they're giving their products more time in the oven though, if only for the initial groundwork.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That streamable thing got taken down, fuckers.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TELL ME ABOUT AC:ODYSSEY

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Spartan society was pretty odd in comparison to its contemporaries. Hopefully Ubisoft does a somewhat decent job of showing that off.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Set during the Peloponnesian War, as it's beginning I think... something like 400 years before ACOrigins.
Two protags... they're siblings, doesn't really matter who you pick much like Syndicate.
Dialogue choices that just give you more flavor during conversations, won't have massive impacts that alter the time lines.
Boats are back: can be fully upgraded and customized, can hire unique crew members to give buffs, and combat and all that functions much like AC4.
Protags were both mentioned as being direct descendants of the First Civ and they're going to explore that even more than past games.
Unity levels of gear customization makes a return.
Combat seems to be the same as ACOrigins.

Comes out October 5th.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

400 years before the game called Origins that started the actual Assassin/Templar conflict :thunk:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lunethex posted:

400 years before the game called Origins that started the actual Assassin/Templar conflict :thunk:

Didn't they mention that you're playing as a Templar/Order of the Ancients member this time? Could be about the founding of the Order of the Ancients. They existed well before the Hidden Ones.

Also, it was mentioned that the hidden blade Bayek wears killed Xerxes, correct? Perhaps this is when we'll see the forging of the first hidden blade.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lunethex posted:

Origins was essentially the origin of the brotherhood and the creed.

Alter Ego posted:

Didn't they mention that you're playing as a Templar/Order of the Ancients member this time? Could be about the founding of the Order of the Ancients. They existed well before the Hidden Ones.

Also, it was mentioned that the hidden blade Bayek wears killed Xerxes, correct? Perhaps this is when we'll see the forging of the first hidden blade.

Most likely we'll see this happen, yeah.
ACOdd will probably be the origin of the Templars and the tools and skills that the Assassins use.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The more famous Xerxes died when Socrates was a kid, and Socrates is older than the player here. Xerxes II was also murdered though. :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Set during the Peloponnesian War, as it's beginning I think... something like 400 years before ACOrigins.
Two protags... they're siblings, doesn't really matter who you pick much like Syndicate.
Dialogue choices that just give you more flavor during conversations, won't have massive impacts that alter the time lines.
Boats are back: can be fully upgraded and customized, can hire unique crew members to give buffs, and combat and all that functions much like AC4.
Protags were both mentioned as being direct descendants of the First Civ and they're going to explore that even more than past games.
Unity levels of gear customization makes a return.
Combat seems to be the same as ACOrigins.

Comes out October 5th.

cool but where is the big dumb guady gold/collectors edition. i kinda want one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

The more famous Xerxes died when Socrates was a kid, and Socrates is older than the player here. Xerxes II was also murdered though. :shrug:

socrates was middle age during the pelopenasian war. hell he got killed in the death throes of Athens because they were basicaly struggling to keep their government stable and he kept butting into stuff and making GBS threads on democracy and liking sparta.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The myth of Aristophanes will canonically be borne out of two NPCs spawning right on top of each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whats nice about this era is their are plenty of books to read about the era, unlike Ptolemaic Egypt. Hell one of the first modern concepts of historical book came out of that time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is there a mirror for the stream?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats nice about this era is their are plenty of books to read about the era, unlike Ptolemaic Egypt. Hell one of the first modern concepts of historical book came out of that time.

100% chance that the antikythera mechanism is going to show up as some sort of ancient time traveling device.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

100% chance that the antikythera mechanism is going to show up as some sort of ancient time traveling device.

I always stupidly assumed it was some kinda door mechanism. I have never been a greek history expert. my "expertise" lay later on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol cool.

you can probably do it with the male character too. gently caress yeah spartan homoeroticness.

bisexual spartan pirate king/queen here we go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I literally can't believe that the next Ubisoft game will have gay romances while the next Bioware game will not. 2018, man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I literally can't believe that the next Ubisoft game will have gay romances while the next Bioware game will not. 2018, man.

the new bioware game looks like rear end. I am glad for my new witcher clone.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol cool.

you can probably do it with the male character too. gently caress yeah spartan homoeroticness.

bisexual spartan pirate king/queen here we go.

People give Ubi a ton of flak, but they're one of the most inclusive and progressive AAA developers around. In the grand scheme of things it isn't massive, but I really appreciate it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The store page is already up. :ssh:

Write your own epic odyssey and become a legendary Spartan hero. Forge your destiny in a world on the brink of tearing itself apart. Influence how history unfolds in an ever-changing world shaped by your choices.
Features

LEGENDARY SPARTAN HERO - Embark on your journey from outcast to legendary Spartan hero.
ANCIENT GREECE AWAITS - Explore an entire country full of unexpected encounters in untamed environments and bustling ancient cities.
CHOOSE YOUR PATH - Your choices shape the world around you. Play in a living world that constantly reacts to your every decision.
FIGHT EPIC BATTLES - Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in battles pitting 150v150 soldiers against each other.
SAIL THE AEGEAN SEA - Recruit crewmembers and customize your ship as you explore and battle your way on the open seas.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please let you fight a surviving First Civ person posing as whichever Greek God was created in their image

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

FIGHT EPIC BATTLES - Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in battles pitting 150v150

Yes hello what now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finally, an AC game I am 100% looking forward to. Grats Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yup, Ubi has definitely rebuilt their rep in my eyes

I might splurge on the legendary edition just to get some cool loot