Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blue Train posted:

Growing up with Windows drove me to linux
Sorry to hear.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I used to be a big fan but Microsoft took so many good ideas and products (remember the Microsoft Band which sold out each time they released it, and while being rubbish long term hardware, was a really good fitness/smartwatch OS?) and just let them rot or get replaced with inferior products that they just kill anyway.
I still have my Band 2 (second one after first one's battery died after 10mo) but it was already priced to move when I first bought it so sales weren't that great. W10M also introduced a huge amount of issues with an early update that made the keyboard and Cortana unreliable. And yet... no other wrist computer on the market has anything to close in terms of fitness tracking for strength athletes. The Microsoft Health custom workout builder is amazing and two years later no one has come close, mostly for lack of trying because the bulk of the market seems to be lazy people who think 10,000 steps is exercise.

At this point Satya has killed so many products that didn't instantly print money it weakens my faith in any MS consumer offering until he's replaced. He doesn't seem to understand that Microsoft has historically won by staying in long wars and iterating on average products until they became great (Office, XBox and Surface all started from behind). I was willing to hang onto my 950 until Windows Andromeda begat new phone hardware, but when they pulled the plug on Groove and the W10M Spotify appreciate was utter dogshit the choice was either switch platforms or pile all my music into OneDrive. Now with the platform being maintenance-only, why should I stay if they don't want me to use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

orange sky posted:

They make bad choices in pretty much everything - they extend support way too long instead of giving people the proper tools to upgrade and making it seamless (it makes more money) and they completely poo poo the bed on a regular basis regarding QA (it saves more money).
Won't argue with you on QA lately, but the issue is not legacy support but idiots paying contractors to write internal web applications on IE6 creating a dependency that lives far beyond its reasonable lifetime.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SpookyLizard posted:

gently caress me, I don't want my Axon 7 to break but I kind want it to break.

These numbers are good, but nothing out of the ordinary:

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8630#show

Edit: Or at least not something that should make you wish your phone breaks.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 9, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just random poo poo in forums and /r/android.

Basically LG is having the sort of uniformity issues that Samsung had long ago, and it seems not so rare.

Except that Samsung still has them. The occurrence may be lower, but there are still uniformity issues.

It's all really a moot point. There's no way Google would have been able to source edge to edge panels from Samsung for the XL since Apple has bought up all of Samsung's excess production capacity.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol if you are implying lg has better quality products than samsung

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've owned and do own several Samsung products. I have not been impressed with the quality, no.

In fact, I need to RMA my most recent Samsung purchase.

Again, it's moot. The supply isn't there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samsung and LG are like Patrick Bateman and the Joker

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Samsung is bad but lg is literal garbage

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Samsung is bad but lg is literal garbage

samsung is bad
lg is literal garbage
your posts :galaxybrain:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do the Nokia 8, Pixel 2 or Moto-whatever support wireless charging? I'd like to re-use my Windows plates from my 920/950. Nokia 8 letting me switch between dual SIM or SIM and memory card is pretty nice too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Shumagorath posted:

Do the Nokia 8, Pixel 2 or Moto-whatever support wireless charging?

No

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Stellar
At
Manufacturing
Sadly
UI
No
Good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

samsung is bad
lg is literal garbage
your posts :galaxybrain:

I've backed up my assertions about lg multiple times itt but if you want to ignore a half dozen devices over several years experiencing the same problem or try and handwave it away as a processor problem when other devices using the same chip didn't have those problems then you deserve what you get

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Stellar
At
Manufacturing
Sadly
UI
No
Good

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

I've backed up my assertions about lg multiple times itt but if you want to ignore a half dozen devices over several years experiencing the same problem or try and handwave it away as a processor problem when other devices using the same chip didn't have those problems then you deserve what you get

I'm on my 3rd 5x under warranty, I hear you. Your posts still suck.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I bought a Samsung TV and it was literally a pile of smoking garbage.

Brand loyalties/aversions are dumb because these companies are all guilty of dumb poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god, Samsung and LG bad?! what a new hot take from this thread I never have read that before anywhere here and my brain is currently exploding

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Your posts still suck.

Oh yea I wasn't trying to argue that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have an LG TV from like 8 years ago, and it still works good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shere posted:

I bought a Samsung TV and it was literally a pile of smoking garbage.

Brand loyalties/aversions are dumb because these companies are all guilty of dumb poo poo.

Brand loyalty is dumb yes but avoiding poo poo companies is in general a good thing unless you like spending money on broken poo poo

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I am wearing a shirt that was properly laundered by a functioning LG washing machine suck it haters

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have a Samsung fridge, a Samsung tv, a LG tv, a huawei phone, a japanese console, an american console and and... :ughh:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

China coming with the good blue not pixel 2

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Stellar
At
Manufacturing
Sadly
UI
No
Good

:kiss:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
<venting>
Jesus Christ Samsung.

User called us saying that e-mails from her to her boss were suddenly and inexplicably being deleted from his in-box. No rules in outlook, not on a spam list, not in a junk mail list... just she would send an e-mail, it would show up in his inbox, and a few seconds later it would disappear from his inbox.

After troubleshooting, we figured out that his mail account was connected to his phone, which suddenly and arbitrarily decided that she was sending him spam and that her e-mails deserved to be filtered into an "Unwanted" folder inside of deleted items.

Thank you Samsung!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Back on topic: Are Spigen glass screen protectors good? They haven't announced a Pixel 2 one yet but I'm sure they will

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ilkhan posted:

<venting>
Jesus Christ Samsung.

User called us saying that e-mails from her to her boss were suddenly and inexplicably being deleted from his in-box. No rules in outlook, not on a spam list, not in a junk mail list... just she would send an e-mail, it would show up in his inbox, and a few seconds it would disappear from his inbox.

After troubleshooting, we figured out that his mail account was connected to his phone, which suddenly and arbitrarily decided that she was sending him spam and that her e-mails deserved to be filtered into an "Unwanted" folder inside of deleted items.

Thank you Samsung!

It's a feature not a bug

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Blue Train posted:

It's a feature not a bug
So is the rest of Samsung's poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ilkhan posted:

<venting>
Jesus Christ Samsung.

User called us saying that e-mails from her to her boss were suddenly and inexplicably being deleted from his in-box. No rules in outlook, not on a spam list, not in a junk mail list... just she would send an e-mail, it would show up in his inbox, and a few seconds later it would disappear from his inbox.

Thank you Samsung!

Raise your hand if you've dealt with angry users due to this "feature" before!

*raises hand*

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I bought a Samsung washer because I generally liked my Samsung phone. Come to find out, my washer is a death trap and the top can literally blow off and kill someone during spin cycle, so it's being recalled and they're giving me $600 to buy another Samsung washer.

That's my Samsung quality story.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Samsung needs a drone strike what with all the terrorism

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My last 2 tvs (over 10 years mind) have been Samsung, and the picture quality has been just lovely. The software and UI has been absolutely trash on both though but it's something I very rarely actually interact with in any way due to an av receiver

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I bought a Samsung washer because I generally liked my Samsung phone. Come to find out, my washer is a death trap and the top can literally blow off and kill someone during spin cycle, so it’s being recalled and they’re giving me $600 to buy another Samsung washer.

That’s my Samsung quality story.

There was a spate of house fires caused by Samsung washing machines in Australia and New Zealand - despite multiple recalls and 'fixes' it continues to happen.

The house I'm renting came with a different Samsung model (which apparently doesn't catch fire) but the motor burned out after less than a year. It's now been replaced with an LG of all things :/

E. Ugh iPhone smart quotes, hopefully it's fixed now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Skarsnik posted:

My last 2 tvs (over 10 years mind) have been Samsung, and the picture quality has been just lovely. The software and UI has been absolutely trash on both though but it's something I very rarely actually interact with in any way due to an av receiver

My Samsung plasma is four or five years old now, and until 4K content becomes more widespread (specifically, BBC Earth), I see no reason to upgrade. Especially since consoles can still barely do 1080p60.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Blue Train posted:

China coming with the good blue not pixel 2

This phone looks amazing and it's only $169! drat China! Too bad it doesn't have any US bands on it.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Does anyone else find wireless charging to be a bit of a gimmick? I had it on my previous Samsung phone, and I actually switched back to regular corded charging because it was annoying me. Many times I would wake up in the morning to realize that my phone was nearly dead because it didn't charge correctly. Likewise, it would randomly stop/start charging in the middle of the night, which turned on the screen/buzz and would wake me up. I couldn't charge it face down, which would make that issue worse.

A lot of reviews are harping on the Pixel 2 because it doesn't have this feature, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I am wearing a shirt that was properly laundered by a functioning LG washing machine suck it haters

No, it was laundered by your Mom. The washing machine was just a tool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Does anyone else find wireless charging to be a bit of a gimmick? I had it on my previous Samsung phone, and I actually switched back to regular corded charging because it was annoying me. Many times I would wake up in the morning to realize that my phone was nearly dead because it didn't charge correctly. Likewise, it would randomly stop/start charging in the middle of the night, which turned on the screen/buzz and would wake me up. I couldn't charge it face down, which would make that issue worse.

A lot of reviews are harping on the Pixel 2 because it doesn't have this feature, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Sounds like you just needed a better charger, the three coil ones eliminate the need for precise placement. My only real complaint would be it takes too long

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blue Train posted:

Sounds like you just needed a better charger, the three coil ones eliminate the need for precise placement. My only real complaint would be it takes too long

Yeah, the Tylt chargers are/were the best for this. I could just set it any which way on the Tylt on my nightstand, and it'd reliably charge properly without any hassle. I miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, the Tylt chargers are/were the best for this. I could just set it any which way on the Tylt on my nightstand, and it'd reliably charge properly without any hassle. I miss that.

The N5 (and PalmPre) with the oem charger that had magnets were perfect, the phone would align it self, and all was good. Infact, the N5 charger was so grippy you could stick it to a wall and it'd hold the phone up. It was peak phone charging.