Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanos' suit designed by Hugo Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thanos wearing that 70s suit with the cloth dick holster sticking out.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Sunswipe posted:

British comedian/light entertainer Brian Conley turning up in Equilibrium as the shopkeeper Preston interrogates to get to the resistance leader was out of loving nowhere, and I've still got no idea how it came about.
It’s a subtle reference to Preston being a puppet of the regime.

at least that’s how I tell myself it came about

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Not a fault of the movie itself (I actually quite enjoyed it) but the trailers for Call Of The Wild featured Harrison Ford a lot.
Harrison Ford's character in the film is but one of three main human protagonists.

After watching it, I immediately loaded up Diablo II and re-speced my Druid to summon Spirit Wolves.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Also it's intimidating

Can't spell fascist without fashion

Or something

Action Jacktion posted:

Strange Tales #141:

From the funny panels thread.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Push El Burrito posted:

Are we just gonna let this person get away with saying Hocus Pocus was a so-so movie?

For some reason it doesn’t add up to the sum of its parts. All of the actors are fantastic as hell in it, but it’s got a lot of issues.

I still have a massive gay crush on Vinessa Shaw in that movie though.

...you’re right, it IS great!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Exploring Hocus Pocus - From Box Office Flop to Halloween Favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iuE0g0hYA

Imagining a world where this movie was released in October (instead of July), did well and we have a Hocus Pocus trilogy and TV series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Michael Fassbender has killed many people in his movie-roles, but it's a pity he's never killed his agent. His filmography for the last six years is like a crime-scene.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why do near-invincible beings like thanos wear armor in comic book movies? If you're basically a god, what are some pieces of metal going to do that you can't resist on your own?

Samuringa posted:

Endgame would be a better movie with Thanos' purple dong flopping around.

He has to protect himself from Ant Man somehow.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Michael Fassbender has killed many people in his movie-roles, but it's a pity he's never killed his agent. His filmography for the last six years is like a crime-scene.

Lol, I actually know his agent, he’s super nice. You’d be surprised at how little say agents have over well-known actor’s movie choices, maybe. I know some of his other clients (not MF) and they’re also very much responsible for the movies and shows they make.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zero One posted:

He has to protect himself from Ant Man somehow.

I maintain that Thanos's colon is stronger than Ant-Man.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If ant man was inside, he could just start shrinking and growing Thanos' organs

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Has it ever been confirmed that Thanos even has an rear end in a top hat? All this time has been spent arguing assuming that he does, but maybe he's all flat down there, no holes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Has it ever been confirmed that Thanos even has an rear end in a top hat? All this time has been spent arguing assuming that he does, but maybe he's all flat down there, no holes.

He has face holes

Plus, if ant man can go through titanium he can go through purple alien skin

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else feel that Onward had promise but was just so flat with everything?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Exploring Hocus Pocus - From Box Office Flop to Halloween Favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iuE0g0hYA

Imagining a world where this movie was released in October (instead of July), did well and we have a Hocus Pocus trilogy and TV series.

It was released in July???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did anyone else feel that Onward had promise but was just so flat with everything?

It was disappointing but still good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The two main problems with the premise is that magic didn't seem that difficult to actually do and also while yes, science can replace stuff like a spell to light a fire magic can still do stuff like letting a person fly or bring the dead back to life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If I had two choices to light a fire - matches or magic - like hell I'm reaching for some matches.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Galactus has a mouth but no rear end in a top hat. His waste is expelled from his body as the Power Cosmic.

Silver Surfer is coated in Galactus turds.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Isn't Ant-Man able to shrink down to like atomic level?
At that point he could literally just go between Thanos's skin and other cells.

I have not seen a single Marvel movie since the first Ant-Man, so I'm talking out my rear end here.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

muscles like this! posted:

The two main problems with the premise is that magic didn't seem that difficult to actually do and also while yes, science can replace stuff like a spell to light a fire magic can still do stuff like letting a person fly or bring the dead back to life.

It also didn't make sense that magic was this forgotten and difficult art that was so mysterious, but the manticore running the family restaurant was the same one from legend (I guess she could be immortal or something but that didn't seem to be the tone) so the time frame being that magic was forgotten several generations ago didn't gel, and then their dad learned some really powerful magic and their mom talks about it like he learned how to build a short wave radio from reading a book. Apparently it's not hard to learn magic at all??? It was a cute story with good moments but it just didn't hold up the moment you stop to think about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the live remake of Aladdin two bags of dates apparently cost more than one gold chain.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
The "my wife's daughter" line in Onward immediately made me think of that "my wife's boyfriend" meme, and it has been irritating the hell out of me ever since.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

In the live remake of Aladdin two bags of dates apparently cost more than one gold chain.

You might be amazed at how much or little some things cost. In the days of Rome someone wrote a letter complaining that a jug of wine or a jar of fish sauce could cost as much as a slave or a plough animal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole deal with ancient times commerce is that a product that's common somewhere could be literally worth more than gold elsewhere. Like, the whole history of spices.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole deal with ancient times commerce is that a product that's common somewhere could be literally worth more than gold elsewhere. Like, the whole history of spices.

I highly doubt that that ever applied to dates, mostly because they're so unappealing that you should be paid to eat them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alhazred posted:

I highly doubt that that ever applied to dates, mostly because they're so unappealing that you should be paid to eat them.

Hmm, normally it's just people around you who find dates unbearable

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Evilreaver posted:

Hmm, normally it's just people around you who find dates unbearable
:iceburn:

Anyway, Onward: superpowers to do menial jobs sounds like a cute premise, until you realize there is no strict classification beyond "they can do this and that" and you probably want something with a finer level of control to work on electronics or other delicate jobs. It's basically alchemy vs chemistry at that point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If I had two choices to light a fire - matches or magic - like hell I'm reaching for some matches.

There's a great little moment in one of the Night Watch books (not the Discworld one, the Russian urban fantasy with the awesome/crazy movies) where the protag's friends stage an intervention because he starts swatting flies with little tiny fireballs instead of using a newspaper like a normal person.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's a great little moment in one of the Night Watch books (not the Discworld one, the Russian urban fantasy with the awesome/crazy movies) where the protag's friends stage an intervention because he starts swatting flies with little tiny fireballs instead of using a newspaper like a normal person.

The movies are very tonally different to the books, but Lukyanenko liked the first one so much that he wrote a couple of his favourite scenes into the story. I definitely recommend both books and films. Just make sure that you get a version of Night Watch with the theatrical subtitles, because my Very Rational Irritating Movie Moment is that Day Watch has never been released with them intact.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

:iceburn:

Anyway, Onward: superpowers to do menial jobs sounds like a cute premise, until you realize there is no strict classification beyond "they can do this and that" and you probably want something with a finer level of control to work on electronics or other delicate jobs. It's basically alchemy vs chemistry at that point.

Avatar comes to mind, when a decent percentage of the world has superpowers which have known and quantified abilities similar to a martial art, most people use them for menial things. The Northern Water Tribe uses waterbending to build their capital as basically Venice made of ice, the Earth Kingdom cities have all kinds of crazy architectural feats because of Earthbenders, Fire Nation steam vehicles are often designed to be run by Firebending in a pinch if you run out of fuel, and Airbender temples were clearly made to be only accessible by flight. Korra later has lightningbending being used as a standard power source, steady if unexciting work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Avatar comes to mind, when a decent percentage of the world has superpowers which have known and quantified abilities similar to a martial art, most people use them for menial things. The Northern Water Tribe uses waterbending to build their capital as basically Venice made of ice, the Earth Kingdom cities have all kinds of crazy architectural feats because of Earthbenders, Fire Nation steam vehicles are often designed to be run by Firebending in a pinch if you run out of fuel, and Airbender temples were clearly made to be only accessible by flight. Korra later has lightningbending being used as a standard power source, steady if unexciting work.

Eh, Avatar is more of a magical setting anyway...Onward is "our world, but suddenly magic". It would be probably difficult to respect regulations when you're employing a tool that cannot be precisely calibrated or mass produced.

Clearly, the movie should have been a "Libertarian firemages vs the Deep State" legal drama, is what I am saying. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That sounds like it ends up with Discworld, where the governments make sure that wizards are kept comfortable and busy doing anything but magic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like it ends up with Discworld, where the governments make sure that wizards are kept comfortable and busy doing anything but magic.

I mean

They're not wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah that, and the fact that when two wizards really get into a fight in that world, everyone in the dimension they decide to do it in gets hosed over. Better to just make sure they get seven square meals a day with cheese platters afterwards and a generous supply of the finest sherries, ports and ales.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean

They're not wrong.

This is pretty regularly quoted in my dnd campaigns and its yet to be wrong.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Glass too.
It was once a luxury!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

Yeah that, and the fact that when two wizards really get into a fight in that world, everyone in the dimension they decide to do it in gets hosed over. Better to just make sure they get seven square meals a day with cheese platters afterwards and a generous supply of the finest sherries, ports and ales.

"The plural of wizard is war" is such a great line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Jedit posted:

The movies are very tonally different to the books, but Lukyanenko liked the first one so much that he wrote a couple of his favourite scenes into the story. I definitely recommend both books and films. Just make sure that you get a version of Night Watch with the theatrical subtitles, because my Very Rational Irritating Movie Moment is that Day Watch has never been released with them intact.

Day Watch has some cool scenes, but I ended up hating it as a whole, mostly because the ending completely undoes everything that happened in both movies so that the events in them never occurred.

I do recommend Night Watch and the books, though.