Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Baloogan posted:

If the world was a videogame, lots of people and not too many resources means you need to expand to get them resources.

Oh look, Qatar! (once the oil runs out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When all the oil is sucked out of the Middle East its gonna be some crazy rear end wars.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I really think that many of you are overestimating how much control the US has over events in the region.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ahh poo poo...:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/11/us-syria-crisis-commander-idUSBRE96A10620130711?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Reuters posted:

(Reuters) - Militants linked to al Qaeda in Syria killed a senior figure in the Western- and Arab-backed Free Syrian army on Thursday, an FSA source said, signaling a widening rift between Islamists and more moderate elements in the armed Syrian opposition.

Kamal Hamami, a member of the Free Syrian Army's Supreme Military Council, known by his nom de guerre Abu Bassel al-Ladkani, was meeting with members of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in the port city of Latakia when they killed him, Qassem Saadeddine, a Free Syrian Army spokesman, told Reuters.

"The Islamic State phoned me saying that they killed Abu Bassel and that they will kill all of the Supreme Military Council," Saadeddine said from Syria.

"He met them to discuss battle plans," Saadeddine added.

The Free Syrian Army has been trying to build a network of logistics and reinforce its presence across Syria as the U.S. administration pledged to send weapons to the group after it concluded that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces had used chemical weapons against rebel fighters.

U.S. congressional committees are holding up the plan because of fears that such deliveries will not be decisive and the arms might end up in the hands of Islamist militants, security sources have said.

While Free Syrian Army units sometimes fight alongside Islamist militant groups such as the Islamist State, rivalries have increased and al Qaeda-linked groups have been blamed for several assassinations of commanders of moderate rebel units.

(Reporting by Mariam Karouny; Editing by Michael Roddy)

Alawite Neo-Stalin or bloodthirsty Sunni fanatics? Whatever happens, those poor Kurds.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Aurubin posted:

Ahh poo poo...:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/11/us-syria-crisis-commander-idUSBRE96A10620130711?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Alawite Neo-Stalin or bloodthirsty Sunni fanatics? Whatever happens, those poor Kurds.

Silly rebels, you're supposed to wait until after Assad's gone to start killing each other. Haven't any of these amateurs read the script?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goddamn. Are they stupid? Do they want to lose?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Aurubin posted:

Ahh poo poo...:

When regime forces are beginning to make gains and turn the tide of the whole war the obvious course is to begin rounds of infighting and assassinations. It's the obvious strategic move to counter the regimes reinforcements and new tactics.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

And once again, the fact that Mohammad never had a son divides the Middle East:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_LEBANON_DEPORTED_SHIITES?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Summary: Since Hezbollah has been fighting in Syria, the Sunni nations have been using it as an excuse to deport their Shiite minorities. This quote sums up where that will go:

Poor Shmuck posted:

"It's a very simple mentality they have in the Gulf, and that is that all Shiites support Hezbollah with money," Alayan said.

While Alayan, Rashid and Farhat all denied ever supporting Hezbollah, the end of their prosperous lives in the UAE has made them prouder Shiites, Rashid said.

"Their behavior gave us more power to be Shiite," he said.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Aurubin posted:

Ahh poo poo...:

Oh drat it all. The jihadists have only made things worse. They should have never been allowed into the country in the first place. Just drat it all. I feel now that unless NATO intervenes, Assad's going to be king of the little bloody trench formerly known as Syria. This actually fills me with more despair for the situation than any other single piece of news since the fighting started.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Ahh poo poo...:

It's the other advantage for Assad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aurubin posted:

And once again, the fact that Mohammad never had a son divides the Middle East:

Another one of God's Great Trolls

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do you take the "Neo-Stalin" thing from?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Ahh poo poo...:

I know that this is just adding to the shitstorm that is the Syrian Civil War, but couldn't this infighting help the more moderate elements of the opposition in the long run? The US has been pushing for increased military aid for a while, but opponents of that action cited the potential arming of the Islamist groups as a barrier (just like what the article says).

cochise fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 12, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cochise posted:

I know that this is just adding to the shitstorm that is the Syrian Civil War, but couldn't this infighting help the more moderate elements of the opposition in the long run? The US has been pushing for increased military aid for a while, but opponents of that action cited the potential arming of the Islamist groups as a barrier (just like what the article says).

It assumes the moderate factions could somehow drive off the nuttier groups like Al-Nursa while also surviving the attack from Assad.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Mans posted:

Where do you take the "Neo-Stalin" thing from?

Purges in government, summary executions for uncooperative officers and soldiers, mass control of media and building lots of statues of your predecessor, in this case your father.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, you're talking of Assad? I was thinking you were talking about the FSA. Misread it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

etalian posted:

It assumes the moderate factions could somehow drive off the nuttier groups like Al-Nursa while also surviving the attack from Assad.

Why bother? The moderate factions should retreat to Turkey, let Al-Nursa and these Islamist militias face off against Assad and Hezabollah. When either they win with heavy losses or crushed by a bloodied Assad regime, then go in and fight the weakened enemy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Why bother? The moderate factions should retreat to Turkey, let Al-Nursa and these Islamist militias face off against Assad and Hezabollah. When either they win with heavy losses or crushed by a bloodied Assad regime, then go in and fight the weakened enemy.
In the meantime the civilian population gets slaughtered. That'll win them some street cred.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Young Freud posted:

Yes, the military that abandoned the Syrian people to the mercy of the wolves waits in the sidelines until all sides are utterly destroyed, at which point they come in, after a few years basing themselves on foreign soil, to take over.

I'm sure they'll be greeted as liberators at that point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
de Gaulle pulled it off, it's not an impossible thing to do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

How is it even a valid comparison, he was only able to return since he had backing from powerful US/Commonwealth conventional military forces as part of the D-day invasion?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Also the French people were eager to adopt anyone who could give the country the air that it hadn't had any sort of collaborative relationship with the Nazi's for the last four years. There won't be any of that sentiment with the Syrian people to encourage them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

etalian posted:

How is it even a valid comparison, he was only able to return since he had backing from powerful US/Commonwealth conventional military forces as part of the D-day invasion?

So pretty much the only way the FSA is going to come to power with the rate things are going. It's not an exact comparison but I don't see why (hypothetically that is, this scenario is extremely unlikely to occur) the moderate elements couldn't sit in turkey and build up foreign and internal support, build up their strength, and then after the extremists and Assad bleed each other launch a new offensive that is hopefully more successful and maintain legitimacy.

I want to empathize again that I don't believe this is very likely to ever happen but it is something the FSA could conceivably pull off if they played their cards exactly right and got lucky.

E: since this seems like its going to cause a derail, of course the situations of the FSA and the French are different. The point I was trying to make is that if the FSA went into the withdrawal to turkey idea I was responding to, that historically it was not impossible for them to emerge from that in a leadership role. Not that what de Gaulle did was exactly applicable to their situation.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 12, 2013

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
De Gaulle is a terrible comparison because France was invaded and occupied by a foreign country, not engulfed in a civil war.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The FSA is hosed, it's only a matter of time before the smart ones will surrender to Assad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yes, the old divide ourselves and then conquer tactic.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vegetable posted:

In the meantime the civilian population gets slaughtered. That'll win them some street cred.

If the FSA loses to the Islamist elements and they win over Assad, the civilian population gets slaughtered. If the FSA tears itself apart and Assad wins, the civilian population gets slaughtered.

Pretty much the only sure way that the civilian population gets slaughtered less is if there was a multinational coalition that ends Assad's reign and establishes a peacekeeping regime that prevents the Islamists from purging the Shias from Syria. Unfortunately, we are know way passed that point that can happen.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

deGaulle was what I was thinking of, but also Khomeini. The Shah and his intelligence service SAVAK had reduced most of his opposition's effective leadership to just him while he was hanging out in exile in France, so when the Shah left and the Iranian revolutionaries won, there was only one major force to rally around.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 12, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Baloogan posted:

When all the oil is sucked out of the Middle East its gonna be some crazy rear end wars.
[Matt Damon "You Wanna Know What I Think?" Scene In Syriana] followed by [Assassination Of Prince Scene In Syriana].

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

visceril posted:

Oh drat it all. The jihadists have only made things worse. They should have never been allowed into the country in the first place.

Most of those jihadists are probably made up of Syrians, to think of them as foreigners is a mistake.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Ah yes, the old divide ourselves and then conquer tactic.

Divide ourselves and be conquered.

Holy poo poo what a mess.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

Unfortunately, we are know way passed that point that can happen.

It was never a viable option to begin with.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

De Gaulle is a terrible comparison because France was invaded and occupied by a foreign country, not engulfed in a civil war.

Yeah which from a positive side did provide a common goal for a wide range of political beliefs from communists to military officers despite even the resistance sometimes getting into inefficient bickering.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
It'll be amazing if al-Qaeda's stupidity ends up uniting the FSA and Assadis similar to what happened in Iraq.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey Brown Moses- who's this Rosalina Chomsky person who appears to have the Syrian twitter community all up in arms?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

az jan jananam posted:

It'll be amazing if al-Qaeda's stupidity ends up uniting the FSA and Assadis similar to what happened in Iraq.

I highly doubt the FSA has any interest in disenfranchising anyone who is willing to fight Assad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I dont know if this will affect anything or what the specific wording is, but I've just got breaking news that the U.S. state department has called for the release of Mohammad Mursi from detention.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

suboptimal posted:

Hey Brown Moses- who's this Rosalina Chomsky person who appears to have the Syrian twitter community all up in arms?

Some faker on Twitter who is now having a total meltdown because I called them out on it. I only did it because I was bored on holiday while I wait for a proper laptop connection rather than relying on free WiFi in cafes, and now the pro-Hezbollah site al-Manar has done a story on our spat claiming they are actually an Israeli intelligence agent. They already renamed their twitter account five times in the last 48 hours claiming to be other people, and are using all accounts to send me abuse, which just adds to the comedy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That reminds me. Almanar did a story about the cia warning Lebanon abt 16 tons of explosives being transported by AQ. Did that ever get confirmed?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Some faker on Twitter who is now having a total meltdown because I called them out on it. I only did it because I was bored on holiday while I wait for a proper laptop connection rather than relying on free WiFi in cafes, and now the pro-Hezbollah site al-Manar has done a story on our spat claiming they are actually an Israeli intelligence agent. They already renamed their twitter account five times in the last 48 hours claiming to be other people, and are using all accounts to send me abuse, which just adds to the comedy.

What's your take on Luisa Zangh?is there really a western woman tagging along with the FSA in Homs? Seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

mediadave posted:

What's your take on Luisa Zangh?is there really a western woman tagging along with the FSA in Homs? Seems unlikely.

It's kinda interesting Luisa is one of 9 people the Rozalina Chomsky account follows, and the only one the Chomsky alt account follows.

• Locked thread