Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Generally with this series I just buy one version of each Gen and stick with that (except in the case of direct sequels like Black/White 2), is there enough new content in Ultra Sun/Moon to warrant a second playthrough or is it basically just the original game with a few extras tacked on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Larryb posted:

Generally with this series I just buy one version of each Gen and stick with that (except in the case of direct sequels like Black/White 2), is there enough new content in Ultra Sun/Moon to warrant a second playthrough or is it basically just the original game with a few extras tacked on?
Basically the original with some extras added & some parts of the intro sped up.

It's a really solid upgrade but probably not worth it unless you're eager to go through Alola again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only now there's 5 new Pokemon that cannot be obtained elsewhere or traded to sun and moon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Basically the original with some extras added & some parts of the intro sped up.

It's a really solid upgrade but probably not worth it unless you're eager to go through Alola again.

Did they at least fix some of the problems with the original such as frame rate issues and having not much in the way of decent grinding spots?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Mantine Surfing is kinda cool, actually.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I still get major frame drops in doubles so thats still there. As for easier grinding there are 55+ Chanseys on Poni Island that SOS call in Blisseys and your Rotom-Dex sometimes gives you an item that boosts XP (along with a lot of other nice items).

Main reason to get US/UM is there is actually an endgame now with a bunch of cool post game boss fights, recatchable Ultra Beasts, and every god drat legendary to ever exist.

Lant fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JFC Hala, you're supposed to be the first Big Boss, not a wall of BS. Crabrawler and Makuhita I can deal with if I could get through them with more than 1-2 pokemon + Pichu. His Machop is a solid wall that's beefy enough on the defense I can do maybe 1/3 of its HP, at which point it just one-shots whoever hit it with Revenge. :psyduck: Guess I'll have to equip the normal Z-crystal on someone for a suicide-bomb.

Also, totally using a :psyduck: this run-through since I managed to snag one pre-trial. Love how they at least still give you Brick Break right before you face 4x weak to fighting Faticate.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Alkydere posted:

JFC Hala, you're supposed to be the first Big Boss, not a wall of BS. Crabrawler and Makuhita I can deal with if I could get through them with more than 1-2 pokemon + Pichu. His Machop is a solid wall that's beefy enough on the defense I can do maybe 1/3 of its HP, at which point it just one-shots whoever hit it with Revenge. :psyduck: Guess I'll have to equip the normal Z-crystal on someone for a suicide-bomb.

Also, totally using a :psyduck: this run-through since I managed to snag one pre-trial. Love how they at least still give you Brick Break right before you face 4x weak to fighting Faticate.

Rowlet + Peck = Dead Hala :whatup:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alkydere posted:

You know you can get Flyium Z at ten carat hill right? And there are a ton of good flying types who can just delete all his pokemon with it.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Zore posted:

You know you can get Flyium Z at ten carat hill right?
Except you need the Tauros pokeride to acces the cave and you have to defeat Hala to get it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Larryb posted:

Did they at least fix some of the problems with the original such as frame rate issues and having not much in the way of decent grinding spots?

I think the only way to fix framerate issues is get a New 2/3DS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God Totem Lurantis was a nightmare. Even with my Torracat five levels above it forced me to Work Up five levels to take out half its HP after it and Comfey demolished my Gumshoos.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zore posted:

You know you can get Flyium Z at ten carat hill right? And there are a ton of good flying types who can just delete all his pokemon with it.

OgretailFood posted:

Except you need the Tauros pokeride to acces the cave and you have to defeat Hala to get it

Logic Puzzles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA109B2AwqE

But yeah, just won due to luck. Machop used Leer this time which gave me time to give my swag-crow a Rotom Boost. Makuhita was a bitch, and Crabrawler died to Pichu due to a mixture of being burned and confused.

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the only way to fix framerate issues is get a New 2/3DS.

Pretty Much. The framerate issue is because Gamefreak made some strange decision to future-proof every one of their pokemon's 3D models by giving them obscene polycounts. The framerate issue is you DS screaming in pain.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I feel like on some level, the games are loving with us just because they can.

In Ultra Sun, Dexio has Espeon, obviously, because he's the Sun pokemon!

In Ultra Moon, Sina has...Glaceon :downs:

Haifisch posted:

Sweet, looks like I won't be messing with trading my planned Alolawak back to regular Moon for relearning after all. :hellyeah:

Still not sure who thought that was a good movepool decision.

Don't forget that Kadabra used to not learn Confusion on evolution in SuMo. And his first attacking move was Psybeam at 21 otherwise.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The Kadabra thing was a glitch, though. The Marowak thing is deliberate trolling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
nuzlocke progress:

i still have no idea how to cleanly identify new "zones" in this so i have a lot more pokemon than i expected, but i guess my intent was more to just increase the difficulty a bit and use new mons so its fine.

lucked into a makuhita so first totem was a pushover

lucked into a mime jr so hala was a pushover

hoping i actually have something die soon

when do people start using more than one mon again

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Classtoise posted:

I feel like on some level, the games are loving with us just because they can.

In Ultra Sun, Dexio has Espeon, obviously, because he's the Sun pokemon!

In Ultra Moon, Sina has...Glaceon :downs:

Dexio has an Espeon because he's a Psychic type trainer, and Sina has a Glaceon because she's an Ice type trainer. Espeon being the daytime happiness eeveelution has nothing to do with it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The post-evolution photo shoots are pretty great.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pokemon Megathread 7.5: IT'S NOT DIFFERENT AT ALL, IS IT, STEVE?

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 19, 2017

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Haifisch posted:

Sweet, looks like I won't be messing with trading my planned Alolawak back to regular Moon for relearning after all. :hellyeah:

Still not sure who thought that was a good movepool decision.

I've been think about this a lot since my friend will not stop complaining about it (and might be the sole reason he wouldn't consider getting USUM).

My best guess for this is the appeal of discovering cool moves that evolved Pokemon learn very early. Usually when people get to the move relearner they talk about all these cool powerful moves their Pokemon could learn at level 1 and how they now have access to them. But with the move relearner now giving you access to every move a Pokemon can naturally learn Gamefreak decided that it would be better to place him near the end of the game. With it more of a late game post game thing this appeal can kinda be used to show that there are still cool new things about Pokemon. Things you didn't get to see while playing the story. I guess to show that there are always new things to discover about Pokemon, even the ones you've already bonded with.

Unfortunately they decided to do this with Shadow Bone, a decently powered signature move that was also A-Marowak's premier Ghost STAB. They put it one level below Cubone's evolution level which I guess was to evoke a "this cool thing was under your nose the whole time" kinda thing but it felt more like a slap to the face for those who really wanted it.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2017

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Squats posted:

Dexio has an Espeon because he's a Psychic type trainer, and Sina has a Glaceon because she's an Ice type trainer. Espeon being the daytime happiness eeveelution has nothing to do with it.

I feel like that still counts as loving with people because it's a giant goddamn coincidence that the Sun pokemon is in Sun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im pretty sure gamefreak doesn't actually know what the sun and moon are, and just picked random words from the dictionary. there's no other explanation for solrock/lunatone not being in their respective games

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

im pretty sure gamefreak doesn't actually know what the sun and moon are, and just picked random words from the dictionary. there's no other explanation for solrock/lunatone not being in their respective games

I think they're aware of solrock and lunatone and that you'd expect them to be in.
SM has a really weird event with an amnesiac in the desert asking to see luna.../sol..., and then saying your lunala/solgaleo isn't the right pokemon. It just raises further questions about what Gamefreak is thinking though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbRVsXKKkY

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alkydere posted:

He only has one pokemon that can damage ghosts

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Alkydere posted:

Pretty Much. The framerate issue is because Gamefreak made some strange decision to future-proof every one of their pokemon's 3D models by giving them obscene polycounts. The framerate issue is you DS screaming in pain.

To be fair, it's a very logical decision. I can't blame GF for not wanting to remake 800 Pokemon models for when they finally had to transfer to HD hardware.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm really loving Ultra Sun so far, but, and I hate to say it...

It really feels like this is the Alola game that should have come out in the first place. I loved Moon, but I think them spending the extra year developing that gen would have paid off.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:hai:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

I'm really loving Ultra Sun so far, but, and I hate to say it...

It really feels like this is the Alola game that should have come out in the first place. I loved Moon, but I think them spending the extra year developing that gen would have paid off.

Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I hope Switchmon isn't too rushed.

Weren't some people angry over this game?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Japanese reviewers aren't happy, and those are the ones that publishers actually respond to.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

:tentacolbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cicadas! posted:

:tentacolbert:

it was cruelbert

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm not happy there's not a real pokedex

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rotomdex just asked me if I was in a hurry to become an adult

:negative:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

Rotomdex just asked me if I was in a hurry to become an adult

:negative:

Being a manbaby is cool

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I hope Switchmon isn't too rushed.

Weren't some people angry over this game?

There isn't a 20th anniversary upcoming so I wouldn't worry about it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It sucks that GF eased us in with sequels and then remakes, so we didn't see the enhanced version making a comeback. I hope it's the last one they ever do, cause they just suck, this is absolutely what SM needed to be to begin with.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

So, good news to anyone who wants to use Marowak ingame.

The totem one you get for collecting 40 stickers in Ultra Sum comes at level 25 which means you actually get Shadow Bone before the E4.

So I just realized I've been playing the wrong game. My wife is only at the first Pokémon center and offered to trade. If we hard reset Moon, will she be able to get the special rockruff again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!