Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah its pretty darn good. Would prefer a bit more bombast, but the album opener is now one of my favorites of theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

AccountSupervisor posted:

...less explosive...

I didn't know you could get less explosive than EITS' previous work. Is it some kind of anti-explosion then? If I play an explosive album near it, does it cancel out some of that explosiveness?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's growing on me too. At first it felt like they tried something a bit different and missed the mark, but yeah, I'm quite liking it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Sigur Ros is announcing dates for a fall North American tour tomorrow :woop:

No DC/Baltimore Dates. :argh: Philadelphia! :argh:

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 5, 2016

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

implosions in the sky

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

Sigur Ros is announcing dates for a fall North American tour tomorrow :woop:

and one of the places....ASHEVILLE?

whatever i'm waking up tomorrow to buy them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
if anyone isnt on their email list

quote:

2016 north american tour
“an evening with sigur rós” will showcase the icelandic trio in theaters for the first time in a decade and include new material
for the first time in their career the band will be touring without a support act, instead offering the audience two sets (+ intermission) starting from 8:30pm sharp at each show. tickets go on sale this friday, april 8th at 9am pst/12pm est (with the exception of 9/24 at hollywood bowl, which is on sale now for 5 or more, single tickets on sale may 1), with a limited number of 'besta' exclusive packages available that include the best seats in the house, autographed memorabilia. for further information and to participate in an exclusive presale go to sigur-ros.co.uk

fan presale password: KRUMMASKUD
north american fan presale starts at 9am pt / 12 et, april 5th on
sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/presale

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I got my Toronto Sigur Ros Pre-Sale Tickets.

It was a digital ordeal. Took time off work to get the tickets. Technical difficulties from the website: waiting in a "queue", slow speeds due to traffic, a loss of secure connection scare or two. In the end I got what amount to nosebleeds at the venue.

What should have taken 20 - 30 minutes took an hour and a half, and the tickets were probably $20 more than what they should actually be.

I am 99.9% certain that it will be completely worth it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

85 bucks a pop only for balcony, before fees, in asheville.

eh

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
There was a single $250 VIP ticket left by the time I got to the Toronto presale. Now I am no stranger to blowing money on VIP because private entrance / front row ticket / exclusive merch / meet the band can be pretty worthwhile. But that is a poo poo ton of money for a single ticket in the 9th row and signed diary.

E: EITS announced more dates and I got Montreal tickets for $27 each plus fees.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sigur Ros isn't coming here this tour, but I did get tickets to see Explosions in the Sky for the 3rd time in May.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Edinburgh International Festival lineup has been announced, and GY!BE, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros are all doing shows:

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/festivals/edinburgh-festivals/international/eif-2016-mogwai-sigur-ros-godspeed-you-black-emperor

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

Edinburgh International Festival lineup has been announced, and GY!BE, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros are all doing shows:

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/festivals/edinburgh-festivals/international/eif-2016-mogwai-sigur-ros-godspeed-you-black-emperor

Jesus christ, what a loving lineup

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
30 snid a ticket bolt

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Jesus christ, what a loving lineup

Great innit? Slightly worried it will clash with Fringe stuff, both stuff I'm going to and shows I'm organising. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Goon trip?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

Great innit? Slightly worried it will clash with Fringe stuff, both stuff I'm going to and shows I'm organising. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Goon trip?

I'd be up for that.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
New 65daysofstatic track released, ahead of the full No Man's Sky soundtrack:
https://soundcloud.com/65daysofstatic/supermoon

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Nice to hear a proper version of that finally. Proper stoked for the full release. Really want the game but can't be bothered buying a PS4 just for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OpaqueEcho posted:

New 65daysofstatic track released, ahead of the full No Man's Sky soundtrack:
https://soundcloud.com/65daysofstatic/supermoon
Pretty dope! I especially love the drums/piano. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing when it comes out. This is gonna be great music to play a video game to haha

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

The first time I listened to This Will Destroy You's Another Language I didn't care all that much for it but it's really starting to grow on me lately. Which kind of makes sense in retrospect, because it took me awhile to get Tunnel Blanket too.

I like the style they've developed on their later albums much more than their earlier, more conventionally post-rocky stuff, to be honest. Although there's certainly nothing wrong with their s/t at all, it's a fine album.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

SpruceZeus posted:

The first time I listened to This Will Destroy You's Another Language I didn't care all that much for it but it's really starting to grow on me lately. Which kind of makes sense in retrospect, because it took me awhile to get Tunnel Blanket too.

I like the style they've developed on their later albums much more than their earlier, more conventionally post-rocky stuff, to be honest. Although there's certainly nothing wrong with their s/t at all, it's a fine album.

That's an interesting perspective. I seem to be one of the few outright fans of TWDY in this thread (or at least everyone else is less positive than me about them). I like Another Language more all the time and I think it's their best album but I still prefer TWDY and Young Mountain better, probably for sentimental reasons (I associate them with particular places and experiences). In one respect I think TWDY is superior to Another Language: TWDY packs an emotional punch at the climax because the rest of the album seems to have been built up to that point. As if TWDY is one unit and Another Language is a collection of tracks, each of which is more interesting and accomplished as an individual track than anything on TWDY.

I know people are a bit sceptical about TWDY here but Another Language is definitely an advance.

The new EITS is good and I am glad they are doing something new. I don't feel like I understand it yet but I prefer it the one before. Yet to hear Mogwai's new one.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Has anyone here seen God is an Astronaut in concert? I'm thinking of picking up a ticket but I'm a little lukewarm on the latest album. Are they mindblowing enough to justify seeing live?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Has anyone here seen God is an Astronaut in concert? I'm thinking of picking up a ticket but I'm a little lukewarm on the latest album. Are they mindblowing enough to justify seeing live?

Mindblowing? No. Worth seeing? Yes.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Finally getting around to listenign to the new Explosions in the Sky. I really like it, but is the mixing terrible everywhere, or just spotify? The drums sound painful to listen to and everything sounds like they just thought that Death Magnetic's mastering wasn't loud enough.

Also, I didn't see much discussion about Sleepmakeswaves doing what I believe is ther first ever US tour. They're opening for Contortionist.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 11, 2016

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yet to hear Mogwai's new one.

It owns. I liked it a lot first few spins but now I'm obsessed. The mixing and production is phenomenal and there are some incredibly beautiful moments.

Its probably a top 3 Mogwai record for me now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's really good but still not feeling U-235. Ether, Big Boy and Bitterness Centrifuge rule.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I dig U-235 but Tzar is great.

I want to see that documentary now too

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The documentary is great but not really a documentary. There's no narrative or anything, more a Koyaanisqatsi type thing, which lets the music shine.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it's more a collage, it's really really good. It was on the iplayer until recently. If anyone finds a link, let me know, wanna show friends.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mono are doing a big Europe/UK tour with Alcest in tow (for the UK leg at least).

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Mono is really drat good live.

Everlasting Light live was positively incredible

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I did some photography at a Mono gig once

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/albums/72157623540943109/

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

oxsnard posted:

Mono is really drat good live.

Everlasting Light live was positively incredible

Saw a show with them and some orchestra, whoa boy the end of that was awesome. Kidnapper Bell sans orchestra though

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I saw Caspian open for Underoath in NYC on Thursday and it was really strange seeing a post-rock band open for a 2004 screamo band. It was a really great show, I actually happen to really like Underoaths "Theyre Only Chasing Safety" but it was a pretty odd pairing and Im not entirely sure how the audience took Caspian.

My friend did the visuals for Underoaths show so I got to talk to Caspian for a bit and they seemed really really excited to be on a tour with a band thats been selling out many of the shows. If anything this is some pretty high profile exposure for them and Im super happy Underoath seems to be really really into them and is pretty explicit in telling the audience "Go listen to Caspian, we do, they loving own"

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

I saw Caspian open for Underoath in NYC on Thursday and it was really strange seeing a post-rock band open for a 2004 screamo band. It was a really great show, I actually happen to really like Underoaths "Theyre Only Chasing Safety" but it was a pretty odd pairing and Im not entirely sure how the audience took Caspian.

My friend did the visuals for Underoaths show so I got to talk to Caspian for a bit and they seemed really really excited to be on a tour with a band thats been selling out many of the shows. If anything this is some pretty high profile exposure for them and Im super happy Underoath seems to be really really into them and is pretty explicit in telling the audience "Go listen to Caspian, we do, they loving own"

Caspian have marketed themselves astoundingly well using this strategy. It's why they one of the best known post rock bands by non post rock fans.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah they were playing with Circle Takes the Square last year and Defeater earlier this year. I think they just play with bands they like.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
New material from If These Trees Could Talk, is good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLg4BoOSHQA

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
:shittypop: and it's a month and a half till the album comes out, my balls are so blue

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Apologies if this has been posted/discussed before. It is Astralia - Atlas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgVh5wnOv6U

I've been listening to the heck out of it for a few months. I don't know anything about the band. If you want a thumbnail, I would say it is similar to early TWDY - longish tracks, echoey, guitar drone but not guitar heavy, dreamy. Very much recommended.

Huh! Seems like YouTube recommend service is good for something after all. Who'd've thunk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Mono and Alcest?! Ugh, Europe gets all the good tours.

Speaking of Alcest, has anyone heard their newer stuff? I feel like they went from dark, moody music to overly happy cheery music in a single album. When it showed up on Spotify, I thought it was another band that had released a CD under the name Alcest or something to get more listens to their album before it was changed