Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you've got a team willing to play along, it's possible to camp in most of the Left 4 Dead 2 starting saferooms and hold out indefinitely. I don't know if L4D1's countermeasures against this were changed or what, but yesterday we knew there was an early Tank in one of the Swamp Fever maps so we camped there with auto-shotguns for what must have been ten minutes. The other team eventually quit.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Epicurus posted:

Not so much a video game grief as a bit of a real life grief, but recently I walked by some vacant classroom at my university and saw a bunch of nasty obese nerds playing some sort of CCG. They seemed to be having a pretty good time of it, arguing about magic effects or pokemon or whatever bullshit. I just wandered up next to the table they were playing on, pretending to be a TA or something for a class that was going to start soon, writing poo poo on the blackboard. Then I deliberately crouched down as if to write something on the blackboard in such a way that my backpack ended up on top of half the cards on the table - then turned sideways and scraped their whole game onto the floor. They all looked at me like "WTF?" and I just said "Whoops!" and walked out before they could say anything to me.

On the board, I had written: "Get a life fags"

This is the best thing I've seen all thread.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Shumagorath posted:

If you've got a team willing to play along, it's possible to camp in most of the Left 4 Dead 2 starting saferooms and hold out indefinitely. I don't know if L4D1's countermeasures against this were changed or what, but yesterday we knew there was an early Tank in one of the Swamp Fever maps so we camped there with auto-shotguns for what must have been ten minutes. The other team eventually quit.

I noticed this should be possible to. I had a tank on Swamp Fever 3rd map where we just sat in the safe room and I started wondering how long we could live in there before finally getting over run. The problem I see is any little damage adds up over time you cant let anything through the door.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Epicurus posted:

Not so much a video game grief as a bit of a real life grief, but recently I walked by some vacant classroom at my university and saw a bunch of nasty obese nerds playing some sort of CCG. They seemed to be having a pretty good time of it, arguing about magic effects or pokemon or whatever bullshit. I just wandered up next to the table they were playing on, pretending to be a TA or something for a class that was going to start soon, writing poo poo on the blackboard. Then I deliberately crouched down as if to write something on the blackboard in such a way that my backpack ended up on top of half the cards on the table - then turned sideways and scraped their whole game onto the floor. They all looked at me like "WTF?" and I just said "Whoops!" and walked out before they could say anything to me.

All the people getting up in arms about this one probably haven't gotten over getting bullied in high school. I don't see how this is different any of the other griefing in the thread except it wasn't done inside a video game.

I was on an L4D2 server a few days ago and some people were trying to get the "Bridge over trebled water" achievement (cross the bridge and get to the chopper in 3 minutes. Anyway the admin was there and had some source mod crap on there, they got to half way down the bridge and he just teleported everyone to infront of the chopper. He'd blocked out friendly fire too, apparently his friends were really bad at the game? I dunno. Anyway, the moment we all got teleported in front of the chopper, I ran and jumped into the water, somehow I didn't die, so I just chilled under water, they couldn't kill me, because there was no friendly fire, and whenever they teleported me back out, and jumped right back into the water. When it did start to damage me I just used my healthpack.

None of them got the achievement that time around. I still don't know why they didn't vote kick me.

Uncle Fumbles
Jan 22, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
The other day I saw some kid enjoying some candy so I thought "I'm gonna grief this kid" so I pushed the kid over and I took his candy

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

QwertySanchez posted:

All the people getting up in arms about this one probably haven't gotten over getting bullied in high school. I don't see how this is different any of the other griefing in the thread...
For the same reason teamkilling and calling your team a bunch of homos is met with a similar response: it's not funny, clever, or amusing. Good griefs are supposed to be entertaining and inventive. This example is about on par with "I SHOT A GUY ON MY TEAM BOY WAS HE MAD".

QwertySanchez posted:

...except it wasn't done inside a video game.
This is sort of a big one too

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

For the same reason teamkilling and calling your team a bunch of homos is met with a similar response: it's not funny, clever, or amusing. Good griefs are supposed to be entertaining and inventive. This example is about on par with "I SHOT A GUY ON MY TEAM BOY WAS HE MAD".

If only he'd thought to draw a swastika on the blackboard, then he truly would have lived up to goon-caliber humor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ZebTM posted:

If only he'd thought to draw a swastika on the blackboard, then he truly would have lived up to goon-caliber humor.
Only if he later got in trouble for it, then also called his teachers Nazis for suspending him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You know, at first I wasn't sure if Epicurus was an idiot or what. But now I know. He is the master, and we are all his lowly disciples.

Teach me of your ways, Epicurus.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Fair enough, I wasn't saying it's a good grief.

Oh well, speaking of griefs...

EDIT: NOTHING TO SEE HERE

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 10, 2009

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Epicurus posted:

I want to buy you a lifetime supply of natty light

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
World of Warcraft

I hope Dipex has posted in this thread because poo poo, if he wasn't warlocking, he was coming up with new ideas for goon "social events".

Gay Day Parade

Everyone made level 1 alts with fabulous names like Reynaldo or Wierd Uncle and ran a man-train from Orgrimmar that culminated in a group base jump off the top of Ironforge, much to the perplexment of dueling pubbies below. It's raining men, indeed.

GoonBoat
Commandeered the last boat in Menethil Harbor wearing pirate costumes and slaughtering any pubbies crossing the dock.

GoonHouse

Took over one of the houses inside IronForge and shouted obscene language-translations at the IF denizens.

I Killed Thrall

Dipex and Goon Squad have the dubious honor to the claim of being first to kill Thrall. First everyone acquired the Mark of Shame debuff, which made all friendly NPCs hostile, then we blitzed through Ogrimmar to Thrall's throne. As a direct result, Blizzard developers worked in a patch to nerf the MoS.

Cliff Summoning off of Thunder Bluff

There was an invisible slant at the edge of the bluffs where you could summon someone and once they stepped through the portal, the geometry would slide them off the cliff to their deaths. I have a screenshot of the pile of bones at the bottom but its on my home PC. Dipex made a great video of it but I don't have it locally. This, also, was quickly fixed in a patch. Score.

Flightmaster Hostage Crisis

We lured all three Alliance major city Flightmasters to a secret base in Barrens. For the better part of an hour, all flights leaving the Alliance major cities were grounded. After a mountain of internal game reports, gamemasters stepped in and teleported the shaken Flightmasters back to their rightful positions. No gryphons were hurt in the process.

and of course the obligatory dragging of Azuregos or that big-rear end green dragon to Orgrimmar so that she could throw people and guards 50-ft into the air.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QwertySanchez posted:

Fair enough, I wasn't saying it's a good grief.

Oh well, speaking of griefs...

You just

:haw:

:byewhore:

You do know that referencing that is bannable, right?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The card thing is different because it wasn't in a game. It's more like knocking the controller out of someone's hand and calling it griefing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orgasmo posted:

We lured all three Alliance major city Flightmasters to a secret base in Barrens. For the better part of an hour, all flights leaving the Alliance major cities were grounded. After a mountain of internal game reports, gamemasters stepped in and teleported the shaken Flightmasters back to their rightful positions. No gryphons were hurt in the process.

I assume you mean some towns or villages because two of the MAJOR CITIES of the Alliance are in the Eastern Kingdoms while Barrens is in Kalimdor (another continent) and you have to go through a loading screen to pass between them.

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma

-Troika- posted:

Reporting someone on the Awful Forums, the ultimate grief *bows*

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

-Troika- posted:

It is? aww poops.

Oh well, I edited my post, but I can't change the past. Peace out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

QwertySanchez posted:

All the people getting up in arms about this one probably haven't gotten over getting bullied in high school. I don't see how this is different any of the other griefing in the thread except it wasn't done inside a video game.
The only thing I really found :smith: about that story was the fact that most people outgrow acting like a dick to people IRL, once they reach college. Adults are much more creative and wily.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Poil posted:

I assume you mean some towns or villages because two of the MAJOR CITIES of the Alliance are in the Eastern Kingdoms while Barrens is in Kalimdor (another continent) and you have to go through a loading screen to pass between them.

You are correct, I overstated the impact; they had to have been newbie town FM's.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Orgasmo posted:

Flightmaster Hostage Crisis

I had a group of Rogue friends who did exactly this, but they just killed the FP in Ironforge everytime he spawned. There were about 10 of them, and they would just rotate in groups of 5. Pissed the alliance off to no end.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Biaga posted:

I had a group of Rogue friends who did exactly this, but they just killed the FP in Ironforge everytime he spawned. There were about 10 of them, and they would just rotate in groups of 5. Pissed the alliance off to no end.

This is awesome but you don't even need more than 1 rogue.

I've done this in IF and SW numerous times on my rogue and rotate between killing the FM or using sap / distract on people trying to take the flight (if there are way too many for me to kill at once).

I've been trying to convince a fair number of people in my guild to roll rogues for months so we could organize a full on "dead flight" for every major alliance city at once... but thus far i've had no luck.

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma

coyo7e posted:

The only thing I really found :smith: about that story was the fact that most people outgrow acting like a dick to people IRL, once they reach college. Adults are much more creative and wily.

Unfortunately you can be held legally responsible for getting someone to ragequit IRL

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zenodice posted:

This is awesome but you don't even need more than 1 rogue.

I've done this in IF and SW numerous times on my rogue and rotate between killing the FM or using sap / distract on people trying to take the flight (if there are way too many for me to kill at once).

I've been trying to convince a fair number of people in my guild to roll rogues for months so we could organize a full on "dead flight" for every major alliance city at once... but thus far i've had no luck.

What keeps a furious flare-using hunter from finding and killing you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

The fact that 99% of hunters forget they even have flare.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's a flare? I haven't played much hunter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drox posted:

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=1543

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drox posted:

Cheap, instant-cast AOE you can aim anywhere within a decent range, to illuminate an area and show any stealthed stuff. It has a cooldown that's very close to the cooldown on Stealth, so it's really effective if you're good at using it and not getting backstabbed.

I am probably out of date, it's been a couple years since I played WoW last.

VVVVV Hunters are only easy to kill because most people don't know anything about playing them, since they're arguably the "easymode" class where you don't even need to pay attention to fight monsters most of the time. A good hunter in good gear is a match for pretty much anything, and always has been.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 10, 2009

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Mystic Mongol posted:

1) Hunters are easy to kill (specially if they're PvE tards and you've got arena / bg gear)

2) Theres numerous good spots to hide on the outskirts of the geometry (specially in SW) where they won't even think to look for you.

3) Alliance r dum

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...
Lol at all the butthurt babies who are upset about my grief.

Dr_Amazing posted:

The card thing is different because it wasn't in a game.

Why?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Epicurus posted:

Discussion Question: Can you call someone out for making a poo poo post without being successfully griefed?

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma

Zenodice posted:

3) Alliance r dum

Was gonna post this, so I'll just second that

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Epicurus posted:

Why?

The whole reason griefing is funny is because people get angry over nothing. Your grief is like running into a soccer game and kicking the ball onto the roof the school.

Yeah you're only messing up a game but people will still call you an rear end in a top hat.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The reason people are annoyed is that his grief is obviously made up bullshit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

-Troika- posted:

The reason people are annoyed is that his grief is obviously made up bullshit.

That and some griefs don't make for good reading. Some griefs are just stupid and get called stupid. He griefed himself.

YCS is leaking agian...
VVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 10, 2009

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Actually that grief loving owned

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...

Dr_Amazing posted:

The whole reason griefing is funny is because people get angry over nothing.

Yeah you're only messing up a game but people will still call you an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah um I caused them to waste exactly one game of magic cards or whatever and called them a mean name. Probably took them about 20 minutes to fix, and yet people here think it is hilarious to scam people out of MMO gear or something that took months to get and is equally worthless? Isn't my grief actually much LESS mean that 90% of the poo poo in here? Also who the gently caress cares if you get called an rear end in a top hat? Isn't that the point?

Since there is so much whining here about RL griefing I will share an oldie but a goodie from last summer:

There is a park near my house with a few marble columns in it that are only a couple of feet high, and a lot of old Polish dudes like to go hang out there on nice days and play chess. Chess is the most retardedly boring, slow-paced game ever, but the people who play it get mad as hell when you gently caress with them.

So my friends and I were bored one day and we sat down at the vacant spot with a chessboard and my old boombox from highschool. Then we put on NoW 2 and just CRANKED it super loud while we pretended to play chess. It was HILARIOUS how mad some of those old motherfuckers were, scowling at us.

Eventually they all left because of the noise - one pair even left in the middle of their game and actually wrote down the position of the pieces before they left so they could continue later - lol!

I've never seen people get so worked up just because of some sounds. They should know better than try to play in a public place where anyone can show up and there's no-one to make us leave. I think some of them wanted to seriously smack us or something but there were four of us ; ) griefing is delicious when you can actually see the look on their faces.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Epicurus posted:

Yeah um I caused them to waste exactly one game of magic cards or whatever and called them a mean name. Probably took them about 20 minutes to fix, and yet people here think it is hilarious to scam people out of MMO gear or something that took months to get and is equally worthless? Isn't my grief actually much LESS mean that 90% of the poo poo in here? Also who the gently caress cares if you get called an rear end in a top hat? Isn't that the point?

Since there is so much whining here about RL griefing I will share an oldie but a goodie from last summer:

There is a park near my house with a few marble columns in it that are only a couple of feet high, and a lot of old Polish dudes like to go hang out there on nice days and play chess. Chess is the most retardedly boring, slow-paced game ever, but the people who play it get mad as hell when you gently caress with them.

So my friends and I were bored one day and we sat down at the vacant spot with a chessboard and my old boombox from highschool. Then we put on NoW 2 and just CRANKED it super loud while we pretended to play chess. It was HILARIOUS how mad some of those old motherfuckers were, scowling at us.

Eventually they all left because of the noise - one pair even left in the middle of their game and actually wrote down the position of the pieces before they left so they could continue later - lol!

I've never seen people get so worked up just because of some sounds. They should know better than try to play in a public place where anyone can show up and there's no-one to make us leave. I think some of them wanted to seriously smack us or something but there were four of us ; ) griefing is delicious when you can actually see the look on their faces.

You are literally a 12 year old.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Epicurus posted:

griefing is delicious when you can actually see the look on their faces.

Bra, you should try this grief, it'll be delicious.

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma
Yes the people playing chess are obviously the slow retards in that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So I was going to come in here and mockingly post about how I ruined some old people's chess games in response to Epicurus' thing earlier. I'm actually surprised.

• Locked thread