Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

My friend is looking for a 'new' bike. He's recently inherited a chunk of change and is hovering between 10-15k on a bike. He seeks comfort mostly, but has some semi loose guidelines: under 500 pounds, over 100hp.

On his list are: Super Duke, Multistrada 11, Multi 12, R12000R, K1300s, Triumph Tiger, Zx14

He has a VTR Superhawk now and so he enjoys his right off the line punch. the Multi 11 would definately make him happy since he loves to wheelie at low rpms.

I rode the Super Duke today and its a fun bike. Heavier than my 520sx but more high end power. Didn't have the low rpm torque I was really expecting it to have. Then I rode the K1200s and that is pretty scary fast.

Ultimately the Multistrada 12 is everything he likes, power, prestige, comfort etc. but he is saying that 16k for a bike is just too much.

The K, the R, the M 11, the ZX14, and the tiger are all at or over 500 pounds.

I'd just buy the Multi 12 and be happy. 1k on a 15k bike is splitting hairs.

There's also the aprilia shiver/dorsoduro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I said Loose guidelines.

Anyway, Me and him have been discussing his bike choices for a couple weeks now. He could get a nearly new Super Duke for $8200. He could get a super comfortable zx14 on a fly and ride to Seattle for $7000. Theres a Multi 11 in Boulder with lightweight wheels and full termis for $10600. or a K1200s for around $9000.

So I guess he likes things below 10k but he could buy the Multi 12 base w/abs if he really wanted, but be pretty racked with guilt over it because he is planning on stuffing the rest in to a college fund.

It seems to us like the K1200 would end propelling him into to lightspeed so often that he would eventually lose his license (and job) and same with the zx14 but damnit if he doesn't love those bikes anyway

So I like the Super Duke idea, plus getting a $2k track bike and a dirtbike (which he wants as well between the xr400 and the kdx220) and still spend less on the 3 than on the Multi.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, I was thrown off by the 'new', I figured he'd be paying MSRP.

If he wants multiple bikes, then yeah, super duke or ZX14 and a couple of other cheaper bikes would seem like a nice setup. I still love the multi though, nice bikes.

prof.vanhellsing
Dec 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'd show up with a grand, if it starts and runs, offer him that, otherwise I'd probably go up to 1100$...if you're planning on keeping it for awhile and aren't concerned about the salvage title, spending a bit more isn't the end of the world. If you're planning on selling the bike after putting 5-10k on it, I'd probably steer away from a higher mileage salvage title bike.

I heard some insurance companies might not offer comprehensive coverage and the like for some salvaged bikes. Is this true?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Okay, I have an amazingly vague better idea about what i want in a motorcycle. I'm looking for an inexpensive beginner's bike that's comfortable for a 50-mile-a-day commute but I can also take down some rough BLM trails.

Does such a thing exist?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That is a tricky combination, because to be a beginner's bike it has to be pretty small and cheap, and but also big enough to be comfortable on a highway for your requirements, as well as take offroad. I'd say get something as light as you can like a Ninja 250 and it will probably do well enough in easy trails if that's all you want.

More dirt-oriented bikes include the TW200 and DRZ400, but they're not great for highway, and the DRZ isn't particularly cheap. Ask Tsaven what happens when you take a streetbike onto aggressive trails.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

It seems to us like the K1200 would end propelling him into to lightspeed so often that he would eventually lose his license (and job) and same with the zx14 but damnit if he doesn't love those bikes anyway

So I like the Super Duke idea, plus getting a $2k track bike and a dirtbike (which he wants as well between the xr400 and the kdx220) and still spend less on the 3 than on the Multi.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Getting your friend to buy a Super Duke because you're worried he'll lose his licence is just champagne comedy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Okay, I have an amazingly vague better idea about what i want in a motorcycle. I'm looking for an inexpensive beginner's bike that's comfortable for a 50-mile-a-day commute but I can also take down some rough BLM trails.

Does such a thing exist?

How often would you really go offroad?

prof.vanhellsing posted:

I heard some insurance companies might not offer comprehensive coverage and the like for some salvaged bikes. Is this true?

I've heard that rumor but never actually had anyone substantiate it...every insurance company I've asked has covered them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Ultimately the Multistrada 12 is everything he likes, power, prestige, comfort etc. but he is saying that 16k for a bike is just too much.

If he's interested in a Multistrada, he needs to go sit on one. How tall is he? I'm 6'2" with long legs and they fit me perfect. Any shorter, and I'm not sure I'd want to ride it.

I'd tell your friend to just stop being indecisive and buy the bike he wants - the Multi 12. If he gets anything else, he'll just sit around and pine for it anyway.

prof.vanhellsing posted:

Possible, but my bike has a salvage title and Progressive didn't bat an eye.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

If he's interested in a Multistrada, he needs to go sit on one. How tall is he? I'm 6'2" with long legs and they fit me perfect. Any shorter, and I'm not sure I'd want to ride it.

I'd tell your friend to just stop being indecisive and buy the bike he wants - the Multi 12. If he gets anything else, he'll just sit around and pine for it anyway.

I'm 5'11 with really short legs, and it fit me great. Unless you're talking about getting a foot down, I sat on it on the stand and didn't feel like I'd have problems.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Iron Squid posted:

Does such a thing exist?
25 miles each way? Sounds a lot like my commute. I can go two ways:
A) 26.3m/50m on suburban streets
B) 27.6m/30m miles on the freeway (17 miles @70 / 7 miles @65)

I vote KLR650 with Kenda Challenger K657s for work...

...and a second set of wheels with Dunlop D606's for play.

I freakin' love my KLR. I love the fact that I can see over just about every non-commercial vehicle on the road. I love getting double the mileage that my car gets. I love riding up to the front of a long line of traffic waiting for a train to go by.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 14, 2010

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
I posted on the last page about a damaged Ninja 250 for 1000$, it sold before I could fire off a text message. Since then I've found this, which I'm going to check out on Thursday with a friend, thoughts? (First time buyer/rider, I want to use it to get to my job and my gym in the city, and when the occasion arises some longer trips on the highways to visit small towns)

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ211257031

My friend is in love with it, I think he may in fact force me to buy it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hietala posted:

I posted on the last page about a damaged Ninja 250 for 1000$, it sold before I could fire off a text message. Since then I've found this, which I'm going to check out on Thursday with a friend, thoughts? (First time buyer/rider, I want to use it to get to my job and my gym in the city, and when the occasion arises some longer trips on the highways to visit small towns)

That's a lot of money...I don't know what your market is like though. It'd be a fine starter but I wouldn't jump on it because of cost, poor parts availability, odd tire sizes, etc.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1787532417.html

This bike is loving gorgeous and if I was looking for my current bike, just older, I'd jump on it.

This 550, though. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1790486951.html

I'm looking at scraping funds together it currently. I'm gonna try to get it for a grand though, as I have to drive 3 hours each way if I end up picking it up and it doesn't run right now.

It's so pretty!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jabs posted:

I freakin' love my KLR. I love the fact that I can see over just about every non-commercial vehicle on the road. I love getting double the mileage that my car gets. I love riding up to the front of a long line of traffic waiting for a train to go by.

Those drat KLR's are kind of tempting me, so versatile and in the right hands can really do some impressive stuff. Good MPG, comfortable, easy to work on, parts are pretty cheap and they come in awesome colors like the first one in your post.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Barbie KLRs are the best

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1787532417.html

This bike is loving gorgeous and if I was looking for my current bike, just older, I'd jump on it.

This 550, though. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1790486951.html

I'm looking at scraping funds together it currently. I'm gonna try to get it for a grand though, as I have to drive 3 hours each way if I end up picking it up and it doesn't run right now.

It's so pretty!

That's a really cool project, if you want an older vintage bike. But god forbid you ever drop it...:ohdear:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Hietala posted:

That's a hell of a lot for a 21 year old motorcycle.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
My brother has been riding a 125cc scooter for a few years, including a round-trip Chicago to Florida trip, and an attempt at going to Alaska on it that resulted in a catastrophic breakdown just south of Edmunton. He's finally getting sick of his scooter I think and wants something more reliable and durable for daily commuting and some short to moderate distance trips (3000-5000 miles).

He really likes the old-school British bike look, and has his heart set on one of the new EFI Royal Enfields. But they're still pretty new and expensive, is there anything else he should look for that will be cheap in all regards, and as unbreakable as possible?

Power isn't an issue, he's been happy on his 13hp scooter, so any motorcycle in the 20-30hp range would be great.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any small displacement UJM? Kawasaki W650? How cheap are you talking?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Couple thousand dollars to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix, cheap to insure, etc. Ideally something older that had a really long production run so parts availability wouldn't be too bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Couple thousand dollars to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix, cheap to insure, etc. Ideally something older that had a really long production run so parts availability wouldn't be too bad.

What about a smaller displacement Suzuki GS? Or a Honda CB twin? GS500?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pretty much any older Honda will be cheap and bulletproof. CX500 maybe for that old school look?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Now I'm all bummed out about that Yamaha, the only other thing I see available in my area at the moment is this:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-1986-Kawasaki-Ninja-600R-W0QQAdIdZ211068108

If it helps any, I'm looking for a sports bike, but nothing too powerfull so I can keep the insurance low, and ideally I'd like to spend less than 2k, though I don't mind going a little higher if it's worth it

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Suzuki-SV650s-/290445590495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item439fe7ffdf#v4-36

Someone buy this copper SV650s for $2500 before I do, thank you.

My bank account also thanks you, as does my fiancee.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
While you're at it buy this Transalp as well, it'll allow me to get more sleep at night:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585765

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm selling my Ninja 500. I want a bike with better brakes, curving ability, and of course, more power. I've been eyeing SV650N's lately. What other similar bikes are there that I can net for $2000-2500, that has gobs of torque, excellent at slaloming and isn't too heavy, that I could check out? Wheelie monsters would be nice recommendations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
That beautiful 74 CB550 was flagged for removal. I still have the tab open, with the guys phone number. Oh god. :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

I'm selling my Ninja 500. I want a bike with better brakes, curving ability, and of course, more power. I've been eyeing SV650N's lately. What other similar bikes are there that I can net for $2000-2500, that has gobs of torque, excellent at slaloming and isn't too heavy, that I could check out? Wheelie monsters would be nice recommendations.

Any dual sport with street oriented tires on it?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Hietala posted:

Now I'm all bummed out about that Yamaha, the only other thing I see available in my area at the moment is this:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-1986-Kawasaki-Ninja-600R-W0QQAdIdZ211068108

If it helps any, I'm looking for a sports bike, but nothing too powerfull so I can keep the insurance low, and ideally I'd like to spend less than 2k, though I don't mind going a little higher if it's worth it

600cc sport bike = VERY NO for a first time rider

Far too powerful, twitchy, and unforgiving of mistakes.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Tsaven Nava posted:

600cc sport bike = VERY NO for a first time rider

Far too powerful, twitchy, and unforgiving of mistakes.

That bike made 61hp when it was new, odds are that what it currently makes now would be fine for a beginning rider, and it's pretty nice looking on top of that.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
In that case, I am wrong and everything I say about anything ever should be ignored.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That bike looks like Kawasaki wanted to sell a Honda.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

headshot24 posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Suzuki-SV650s-/290445590495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item439fe7ffdf#v4-36

Someone buy this copper SV650s for $2500 before I do, thank you.

My bank account also thanks you, as does my fiancee.

I read the "copper" as "chopper" and was pretty disappointed

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

PlasticSun posted:

That bike made 61hp when it was new, odds are that what it currently makes now would be fine for a beginning rider, and it's pretty nice looking on top of that.

Are you sure? My 1983 GS550ES makes 63hp. And that's all air cooled, siamesed carbs, lawnmower level bullshit :-)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Nerobro posted:

Are you sure? My 1983 GS550ES makes 63hp. And that's all air cooled, siamesed carbs, lawnmower level bullshit :-)
I see references that say 71HP/63RWHP and 68/61.
The '86 ZL600 Eliminator (Ninja engine, retuned for mid-response) has 74HP at 10500.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_zl600_86.htm

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Nerobro posted:

I posted that just based off of what I remember when I was shopping for my first bike and I was looking at one of these as well (mostly because of the kick rear end colors in the first couple of years) but I wasn't able to find one in good condition. Going off of what I can find via google all I can come up with is forums hearsay but this post from here: http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30489 seemed pretty accurate to what I remember.

Engine horsepower: 76
Rear wheel horsepower: 63

Quarter mile times were typically in the 11.9-12.2 sec. range.
(although Jay Gleason once posted an 11.82 sec time)

Top speeds recorded were in the 130-135mph range.

And yes, the 600R appeared in the US in 1985.

Colors:

85: Black, Red, Silver combination
86: 2 combinations offered: Blue/Red/White, or White/Red
87: Red/Gray/White or the Limited Edition 600RX which was
primarily Gray with a bit of gold/red striping.

Even new it dosen't seem like it'd be as quick as an SV650, and with 25 years of age I bet a new EX500 could get around it on a track.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 16, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Tsaven Nava posted:

Other than the British look part this basically describes the pre-2008 Ninja 250 exactly.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Yeah, he's not into the look though. He sat on Modify_Evolution's streetfighter'd '04 Ninja 250, and didn't really like it. He wants the old-school British look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

He really likes the old-school British bike look, and has his heart set on one of the new EFI Royal Enfields. But they're still pretty new and expensive, is there anything else he should look for that will be cheap in all regards, and as unbreakable as possible?

Bonnie.