Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Donald Sutherland is channeling some serious crazy in that trailer and I'm diggin' it. The rest looks pretty generic YA action whatever. It also seems like Jennifer Lawrence is phoning it in given how much better her performances are in just about every other movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

J.Law has been phoning it in ever since she got her Oscar and David O. Russell put her on speed-dial. Now she only does poo poo like X-Men and Hunger Games due to contracting reasons, or to help finance/prop up her "serious" career respectively. This is obvious on its face to anyone who has seen her body of work in the past few years.

Plus the Hunger Games role is... as someone who read the books... the kind-of role where being a pouty, whiny rear end in a top hat without much range is kind-of the point of the character.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

You do? I think it makes for better movies and a closer experience to books when you do it. I wish Ender's Game had done it.

I think getting 'closer to the books' is exactly the problem. The idea that books can't be adapted with any ounce of creativity these days is depressing, and it makes the two-part finales look pathetic. Who is watching this poo poo? If you want an experience close to the book, why not read the book?

edit; PhilHoff is still dead. I always forget. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 16, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kiimo posted:

That may be the case and I'm not a huge Hobbit fan despite thinking LOTR if taken as one movie is a top ten movie of all time. I thought Harry Potter 7.1 and 7.2 were as close an experience to reading the books as you could get and wish 4,5 and 6 also were split.

Having not seen the movies, I'll assume that means that the first movie and a half were completely pointless and should not have been made. Also, you only have raw dailies since there wasn't an editor.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you want an experience close to the book you can just read the book. Adaptations aught to be their own thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

J.Law has been phoning it in ever since she got her Oscar and David O. Russell put her on speed-dial. Now she only does poo poo like X-Men and Hunger Games due to contracting reasons, or to help finance/prop up her "serious" career respectively. This is obvious on its face to anyone who has seen her body of work in the past few years.

Plus the Hunger Games role is... as someone who read the books... the kind-of role where being a pouty, whiny rear end in a top hat without much range is kind-of the point of the character.

She was actually really good in Days of Future Past.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I keep telling people this. Katniss has the charisma of a burnt tree stump. It's why them trying to turn her into some kind of Symbol of the Rebellion™ is such a hilarious disaster until they stumble upon the brilliant move of filming her in an actual war setting loving poo poo up.

The Hunger Games movies are probably the smartest adaptations I've seen, because they actually do take quite a bit of artistic license. They expand the world. The books are written first-person, and Katniss straight-up misses a lot of the good poo poo. Donald Sutherland would not have nearly as much room to be his crazy, awesome self if they stuck to the books. Not only do they pull back to show us the rest of the world, but they work with the author to nail down their expansions so the fans don't go apeshit. The result is a bigger, better (for the big screen, at least) story that uses the books as a base and just builds on that. To me, that's pretty much the ideal way to do an adaptation.

There is a lot of poo poo that happens in the next book, so I'm not too down on the split.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
There is a pretty clear point where the third book can be split in half too so even if it is probably mostly for the money it won't be especially jarring.

The third book is certainly the weakest of the three but I didn't hate it and I look forward to seeing the films.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the book for what it was, but it definitely wasn't good. It was totally crazy.

And the movie version of Katniss is incredibly more charismatic than the book version. There are times when book Katniss feels like she has mild autism. She doesn't understand human emotions. I suppose it's supposed to be oblivious teenager, but it really goes too far in her being completely unable to decipher other people's motivations because she can't comprehend what they are feeling.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, if J-Law played to book Katniss' personality exactly she'd be kinda creepy and unrelatable. Sorta like a teen girl version of Ryan Gosling from Drive.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy poo poo I... I actually want to see a Tim Burton movie again? I didn't know this feeling still existed.
https://movies.yahoo.com/video/big-eyes-trailer-151825125.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

Holy poo poo I... I actually want to see a Tim Burton movie again? I didn't know this feeling still existed.

It helps that the true story is really bizarre.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GonSmithe posted:

This looks fantastic!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like Keanu Reeves, just like as a human being so I will go and see his movie. Man of Tai Chi was really good and I liked his 47 Ronin movie.

I think he's doing a television series as well.

Keanu Reeves is a cool guy.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Brand new red band trailer for V/H/S: Viral.

poo poo looks BONKERS.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

Holy cow this looks impressive. Tim Burton can really direct the poo poo out of a movie if he actually tries, I cannot wait to see this.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

GonSmithe posted:

This looks great. To think that just a couple of years ago Waltz was wasting away in German TV productions, hating his profession. Thanks again, Mr. Tarantino.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Well I'm glad I watched this in a brightly lit room first thing in the morning rather than late at night alone because JESUS CHRIST. :stonk:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Can't wait for this poo poo.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Looked good but i think I'll have to re watch with the sound on at home. It looks the least scary of the 3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Holy cow this looks impressive. Tim Burton can really direct the poo poo out of a movie if he actually tries, I cannot wait to see this.

Which is funny because the plan was Burton would just produce the movie and not direct. There were also originally different leads, Margaret Keene was going to be played by Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Reynolds as Walter. I think everyone can agree we dodged a bullet there. Or at least definitely traded up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GonSmithe posted:

Hmm, yeah. For a director I don't care about any more and a story I had no interest in...it seems weird, but I kind of want to see this now.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

muscles like this? posted:

Which is funny because the plan was Burton would just produce the movie and not direct. There were also originally different leads, Margaret Keene was going to be played by Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Reynolds as Walter. I think everyone can agree we dodged a bullet there. Or at least definitely traded up.
On the other hand, Ryan Reynolds would've cut the bullet in half.

I've never heard of Margaret Keane, but I've seen some of her paintings and they always creeped me out. This looks pretty good though, Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams are great and this seems more interesting than most Tim Burton stuff. Though I might've missed out on some good stuff, the last movie of his that I've seen was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barf Wight posted:

On the other hand, Ryan Reynolds would've cut the bullet in half.

I've never heard of Margaret Keane, but I've seen some of her paintings and they always creeped me out. This looks pretty good though, Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams are great and this seems more interesting than most Tim Burton stuff. Though I might've missed out on some good stuff, the last movie of his that I've seen was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The only things he directed between then and Big Eyes is Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, and Frankenweenie.

Corpse Bride is okay from what I heard, Sweeney Todd is interesting but some fans of the original productions don't like it, Alice in Wonderland is bizarre, probably not in a good way, Dark Shadows I heard depends on you liking/watching the original show, and Frankenweenie was sort of derivative of the "Tim Burton style" and it was literally a remake of the first short he did.

So, probably watch Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd (if you like musicals), and maybe Frankenweenie, avoid Alice in Wonderland, and Dark Shadows is ??? .

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Dark Shadows is mostly pretty decent, except for Depp, who is the same wacky bullshit that he usually is, while the rest of the cast is decidedly not very Tim Burtony until the last act.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Uh that VHS trailer was horrible. I actually found some of it comical and none of it scary

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Wait, it was supposed to be scary? I thought it was a comedy/horror.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Full trailer for the upcoming Maori-language action film The Dead Lands, set in a pre-European contact New Zealand in which a young warrior must avenge his father and his hapu after they get slaughtered. I'm actually rather looking forward to this.

http://youtu.be/LKy7Q50tJ84

Holy crap I want to see this right now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Full trailer for the upcoming Maori-language action film The Dead Lands, set in a pre-European contact New Zealand in which a young warrior must avenge his father and his hapu after they get slaughtered. I'm actually rather looking forward to this.

http://youtu.be/LKy7Q50tJ84

The blood effect at 1:03 is laughably bad. Like, fan trailer bad.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

New Kingsman: The Secret Service trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8F-8tR8to

Looks like a lot of fun

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

twoot posted:

New Kingsman: The Secret Service trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8F-8tR8to

Looks like a lot of fun

It does look ok but it feels like it's going to spend to much time training. No one cares about that Hollywood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully the delay lets them do some more work on the effects, there's a really bad shot in there where the lead is doing a flip and he looks like he's wearing a mask.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

It does look ok but it feels like it's going to spend to much time training. No one cares about that Hollywood.

I hope so. It's always the best part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hopefully the delay lets them do some more work on the effects, there's a really bad shot in there where the lead is doing a flip and he looks like he's wearing a mask.

Given that this is a James Bond parody with the usual plethora of high tech gadgets, he quite possibly is wearing a mask.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Given that this is a James Bond parody with the usual plethora of high tech gadgets, he quite possibly is wearing a mask.

Look at this, it looks like a bad videogame model.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really hope they don't change that

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
New trailer for The Interview (Redband)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8O-MOqmcw

While it doesn't look amazing, I think it's safe to say it looks like the next best comedy to come out until the end of the year. This looks as funny as I wish Dumb and Dumber 2 looks.

Lizzy Caplan looks :3: as ever

Bolek
May 1, 2003

It looks like poo poo.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Look at this, it looks like a bad videogame model.

I do believe you mean it looks like a decent video game model, just a terrible one for a movie. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Doctor Bishop posted:

I do believe you mean it looks like a decent video game model, just a terrible one for a movie. :v:

What, no. That would be a bad video game model, are you currently living in the mid 2000s?

• Locked thread