Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The RX-79s are trying their best, please be respectful of gundam's little siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It was more all the stuff like missles pods and strapped on guns and huge beam cannons strapped to the gundam in thunderbolt that just seemed out of place. Nothing in the OYW seems to have stuff like that.

Also having multiple gundams ruins a key plot point of the original series. Zeon was afraid of this single protype and it was important for the war effort. Having multiple gundams results in it making no sense why Zeon was obsessed with destroying the rx-78. Plus, all the side story gundams have better gimmicks than the rx-78. How does that make sense?

Edit- Also while I think the thunderbolt looks cool, why in the world would the federation waste having such a top of the line suit by using it in some strategically useless junk heap?

Thunderbolt takes place immediately before A Baoa Qu. The Thunderbolt Sector battle is important, in fact, because (a) it's being bankrolled by the wealthy, influential Moore Brotherhood, and (b) it's about securing a vital supply route for that final battle. That's why the Brotherhood gets so many cool toys headed to the A Baoa Qu front line, including a heavily-armed Gundam presumably intended for the White Base. They're supposed to roll through Side Four before meeting up with the main Federation fleet, and a bit of discreet bribery helped convince the Federation command they could do it.

The FA-78, meanwhile, has nothing we haven't seen before in the One Year War. The twin beam guns seem to be taken from the G-Fighter, and the missile pods were premiered by Zeon aquatic suits like the Acguy and Z'gok. The only real innovation is what appears to be an extra power plant in the backpack to make the freakish monster go. It's the most dangerous Federation One Year War suit we ever see, but really not that nuts by end-of-war standards. In fact, it's not even that far off from Amuro's Gundam with the G-Armour - hell, you could even argue that it's just the two machines smushed together into a single-seater form. The Zaku Reuse [P], meanwhile, is the crappiest, most bargain-basement Zeon Newtype machine we ever see. It's even worse than the Braw Bro, in many ways.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I don't really get the obsession with canon in UC sidestories. How does lining up details with the original MSG produce a better story? If anything, I like it more when a sidestory plays modifies the core designs to fit its themes.

The big advantage of the sidestories over AUs isn't continuity, but that every AU is obliged to tell the story of a teenager using their invincible killbot to single-handedly save humanity while the sidestories are free to tell stories that are more personal and local, where interplanetary war is treated as an unfathomable and impersonal force.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
No love for the fight where the unnamed pilot saves the Federation?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Panzeh posted:

No love for the fight where the unnamed pilot saves the Federation?

cyclops team's luck finally ran out when they stumbled upon the only GM pilot in the whole Top Secret Arctic Base who had passed basic training

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The scene in the first ep of Unicorn RE 0096 where Marida hears the Jegan pilot's dying thoughts wasn't in the original, right?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it was. Unless they expanded on it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I guess I haven't watched Unicorn in awhile.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

cyclops team's luck finally ran out when they stumbled upon the only GM pilot in the whole Top Secret Arctic Base who had passed basic training

I'm not sure he had either. Look at the guy. Not taking cover, wide continuous spray instead of short, controlled bursts, and he didn't kill Captain Hardy 30 seconds later despite having all the opportunity in the world to do so.

But at least he managed to do his drat job. Few GM pilots can claim that honor.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure he had either. Look at the guy. Not taking cover, wide continuous spray instead of short, controlled bursts, and he didn't kill Captain Hardy 30 seconds later despite having all the opportunity in the world to do so.

Nah, the Federation won because of all the GM pilots that did their job. No more, no less.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Nah, the Federation won because of all the GM pilots that did their job. No more, no less.

Fair.

I should say on screen GM pilots who did their job.

Mostly, they tend to die to the last without accomplishing anything so the Gundam looks better.

(Unless we're talking the White Dingos or similar, of course.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Fair.

I should say on screen GM pilots who did their job.

Mostly, they tend to die to the last without accomplishing anything so the Gundam looks better.

(Unless we're talking the White Dingos or similar, of course.)

They all seemed pretty competent in The Origin manga at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They all seemed pretty competent in The Origin manga at least.

True enough.

Which makes Char killing around a dozen of them solo much more impressive. The Origin really does a decent job of selling Char and Amuro as THE pilots of the One Year War.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

The scene in the first ep of Unicorn RE 0096 where Marida hears the Jegan pilot's dying thoughts wasn't in the original, right?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't? The Jegan pilot was totally silent and nameless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't? The Jegan pilot was totally silent and nameless.

No, he managed to get out a "drat sleeves" at least.

...At least, if we're talking Stark Jegan pilot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

No, he managed to get out a "drat sleeves" at least.

...At least, if we're talking Stark Jegan pilot.

Huh, you're right, I just rewatched the scene: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3f0gtx_kshatriya-stark-jegan_tv

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Argas posted:

Well, the federation won the war on Earth with tanks and planes. The Zaku grunts were that bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Short, controlled bursts matters a lot for a fleshy human trying to handle a gun with muscle power but I doubt it's quite as necessary for a giant robot to keep a gun on target.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Short, controlled bursts matters a lot for a fleshy human trying to handle a gun with muscle power but I doubt it's quite as necessary for a giant robot to keep a gun on target.

Not necessarily. Projectiles at that scale are gonna have some nasty kickback, so it's possible (even just as a handwave) their arm servos cant mitigate it fully.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The big robot show made me sad I hate you war in the pocket :smith:

chiasaur11 posted:

You're about to see proof that not all cool Zeon dudes pilot Goufs.

You were right.

God drat that was really really good. The antiwar stuff was done really well, like it does the typical "showing the horrors of war" thing but giving you the kids as viewpoint characters who just see all those "horrors" as awesome makes it so much more effective.

You did surprisingly well there Bernie for being a complee rookie... :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

The big robot show made me sad I hate you war in the pocket :smith:

You were right.

God drat that was really really good. The antiwar stuff was done really well, like it does the typical "showing the horrors of war" thing but giving you the kids as viewpoint characters who just see all those "horrors" as awesome makes it so much more effective.

You did surprisingly well there Bernie for being a complee rookie... :(

It was surprisingly not-hamhanded about the anti-war stuff too.

The main soldiers on both sides were heroic, there was mention that, under certain circumstances, war can be a tragic necessity, and both Chris and Bernie legitimately felt that their jobs were things that needed to be done. It's just, you know. War is a horrible meatgrinder where good people kill each other, often for no real benefit to anyone.

Buy our model kits, kids?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

Well, the federation won the war on Earth with tanks and planes. The Zaku grunts were that bad.

They weren't that bad, the Feds had a lot more tanks and aircraft compared to MS. Bit hard to fight when you're that out numbered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It takes a whole lot of tanks and planes to be able to put down a mobile suit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It takes a whole lot of tanks and planes to be able to put down a mobile suit.

Well, they were a bunch of city-states fighting a planet.

Also, they had minimal experience with ground combat, which resulted in a bunch of bad designs (they never built a plane that could challenge Federation air superiority) and tactical disasters.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Urg, made a mistake with my order of Gunpla Breaker 3, it's the Vita version. The eBay outfit I wen't through don't have the right version for PS4, but at least take returns. I think I'll need to wait a month for Play-Asia now. Pisses me off, was really looking forward to that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finished Thunderbolt. Crazy little mini-series. Io was an rear end in a top hat but also respectable in that he knew the score as soon as he jumped in a mobile suit. At least it seemed that way.

Daryl was pitiable, because :lol: at sacrificing your limbs for Zeon. Felt bad for Dr. Karla and the Captain. Not a fan of their use in this. For that matter, was the captain shot or the window behind her shot? I never got a good look.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Finished Thunderbolt. Crazy little mini-series. Io was an rear end in a top hat but also respectable in that he knew the score as soon as he jumped in a mobile suit. At least it seemed that way.

Daryl was pitiable, because :lol: at sacrificing your limbs for Zeon. Felt bad for Dr. Karla and the Captain. Not a fan of their use in this. For that matter, was the captain shot or the window behind her shot? I never got a good look.

It's left deliberately ambiguous. The reason why may show up in the extra footage in December Sky.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh. Nifty!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As much I thought thunderbolt was kinda meh that scene with the camera targeting the Zeon guys holding the bomb was memorable. Haven't had a scene like that since v gundam.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm watching 83 now even though I guess it suppose to be kinda bad but the music seems really good so far and its neat seeing Zakus piloted by non Zeon folks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I'm watching 83 now even though I guess it suppose to be kinda bad but the music seems really good so far and its neat seeing Zakus piloted by non Zeon folks.

0083 is beautifully animated and has an amazing soundtrack.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kanos posted:

0083 is beautifully animated and has an amazing soundtrack.

Yeah, it seems to be pretty much just dripping with style so far, so I am probably going to stick with it for just that.

I really like how, what I think is the Rick Dom, is sliding around all over the place, it really reminds me of playing Cybernator.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Preview of the IBO dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1CxJVWHE_o

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not really feeling that dub, based on that clip at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Not really feeling that dub, based on that clip at least.

Yeah, same.

Also :lol: at Maruba pronouncing it "Gallerhorn."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nobody will ever fault 0083 for its animation or soundtrack. They're both fantastic.

Just try to ignore those idiots talking in between the fight scenes and you'll enjoy it just fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The animation is fluid as hell but I've always found a lot of the choreography behind most of the fights to be pretty lacking

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it ridiculous how Kou rationalizes helping rebuild a Zeon Mobile Armor because he feels pity for a bitter man who had to stop being a pilot. Yeah, great rationale for building a weapon that could potentially slaughter thousands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dub sounds fine, they even got Steve Staley for his eighth gundam series role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eh, I'm not a fan of Steve Staley. I mean, he's perfect for arrogant teenage protagonist, but I find his voice a little too forced.