Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Wow MAGAs in this thread are flipping over backwards to defend lying under oath. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

runupon cracker posted:

You seem to know a lot about what Sessions did with the ASC, so I have a few questions for you:

- how many other members of the ASC have met with foreign ambassadors as part of their ASC activities?
- how many other foreign ambassadors has Sessions met with as part of his ASC activities?
- had Sessions ever met with Kislyak before 2016?

NPR had a list of different ambassadors he met with last year they were rattling off this morning. Japan is the big one I remember.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a MAGA I just feel like this is nitpicky bullshit that isn't very important in light of the overwhelming amount of other stupid poo poo going on.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
no you dont understand pizzagate is the russians

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sincx posted:

Wow MAGAs in this thread are flipping over backwards to defend lying under oath. Incredible.

yeah lying under oath is basically a complete and direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. don't you read the news?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

sincx posted:

Hahaha "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

runupon cracker posted:

You seem to know a lot about what Sessions did with the ASC, so I have a few questions for you:

- how many other members of the ASC have met with foreign ambassadors as part of their ASC activities?
- how many other foreign ambassadors has Sessions met with as part of his ASC activities?
- had Sessions ever met with Kislyak before 2016?

I dunno man, but this is pretty funny

The whole story being pushed is that he misled them under oath and should be charged with perjury, when it's obvious to anyone not trying to politicize things he was specifically talking about Russian communications in his capacity as a surrogate and was answering the specific question asked to him.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i never received or sent any material that was marked classified

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

it's obvious to anyone not trying to politicize things he was specifically talking about Russian communications in his capacity as a surrogate.

right? like wtf I'm all radical leftist over here and even I can see that

press conference later today though should be a good one ima lol heartily if he resigns

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Poetic Justice posted:

The whole story being pushed is that he misled them under oath and should be charged with perjury, when it's obvious to anyone not trying to politicize things he was specifically talking about Russian communications in his capacity as a surrogate and was answering the specific question asked to him.

yeah way to fall for the fake news dude. he lied under oath, which makes sense for someone that's part of trump's cambinet. i dunno how you can believe that they DIDN"T lie under oath?

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
who cares if it's retarded let's get pence in the white house lol

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:siren: Nothing is going to happen. :siren:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

right? like wtf I'm all radical leftist over here and even I can see that

It really is a stretch, but apparently it's working and people are eating it up :(

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

I assert that meeting with the Russian ambassador--known spy from a hostile foreign power--is plenty bad by itself. But even if you disagree with that, there's no excuse for not being 100% truthful under oath. It has to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Sessions outright lied. And even with all your mental gymnastics, he certainly and deliberately did not tell the whole truth. That's perjury.

Clinton was impeached for not being truthful about a blowjob. You want Sessions to get away with perjury regarding contact with a hostile foreign power, a foreign power whose stated goals were to weak the US by interfering with its election?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sincx posted:

LOL the Trumpzstaffel is out in full force today. There was nothing narrow about it. Maybe actually read the transcript instead of just listening to Fox?

Here's the entire exchange:

Translation:

FRANKEN: A few cookies might have been stolen from the cookie jar. What would you do if you get a lead on who stole the cookies?
SESSIONS: IT WASN'T ME, I DIDN'T STEAL THE COOKIES.

He did this in a written response as well.

Translation:
I did not have communications with the Russians (about this that you just asked me about)

The fact that you bozos have Franken in a position such as he is is just as bad as Trump being in his position that whackos installed him.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
a simple solution to this would be to just find out what the two meetings were about, and what was discussed, id think

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is he didn't outright lie if you consider the "(about this that you just asked me about)" bit so that's where people are going "chill out man."

Kjoery posted:

a simple solution to this would be to just find out what the two meetings were about, and what was discussed, id think

That's fine w/ me, more information isn't bad.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sincx posted:

I assert that meeting with the Russian ambassador--known spy from a hostile foreign power-is bad. But even if you disagree with that, there's no excuse for not being 100% truthful under oath. It has to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Sessions outright lied. And even with all your mental gymnastics, he certainly and deliberately did not tell the whole truth. That's perjury.

Clinton was impeached for not being truthful about a blowjob. You want Sessions to get away with perjury regarding contact with a hostile foreign power, a foreign power whose stated goals were to weak the US by interfering with its election?

you do realize this is russia we're talking about, right? like, the Russia IRL. the one run by putin. not the russia run by Yuri from Red Alert 2

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sincx posted:

I assert that meeting with the Russian ambassador--known spy from a hostile foreign power--is plenty bad by itself. But even if you disagree with that, there's no excuse for not being 100% truthful under oath. It has to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

What's it like to be as delusional as the opposing side?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

The thing is he didn't outright lie if you consider the "(about this that you just asked me about)" bit so that's where people are going "chill out man."

That's fine w/ me, more information isn't bad.

Withholding material information is the same as outright lying.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Frijolero posted:

:siren: Nothing is going to happen. :siren:

dude, so you want Sessions to get away with perjury? regarding contact with a hostile foreign power? a HOSTILE foreign power????

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

sincx posted:

So, nice way to frame the argument that if I don't want him to be prosecuted with perjury (which I would say he didn't, since he answered the question being asked him), I must be for RUSSIA taking down ARE FREEDOMS. I'm going to disengage from this conversation, I feel like we won't ever agree with each other on this, and that is OK!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Knight posted:

Yeah, not buying it, and seeing how congressional Republicans are calling for him to recuse himself, I'd say that argument is something for frogmen to tell themselves as they rock back and forward worrying that things have begun mattering again.

McCain and Graham have done this at every turn and are the most rino of all rinos. gently caress them both.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

Withholding material information is the same as outright lying.

Well it isn't material information if the meetings have 0 relevance to the allegations Al Franken was talking about.

So whether or not it was perjury hinges on what the meetings/calls were about. You can't just blanket state it was definitively a lie without knowing that information.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

you do realize this is russia we're talking about, right? like, the Russia IRL. the one run by putin. not the russia run by Yuri from Red Alert 2

Yes, the country whose leaders invade weaker neighbors, assassinates journalists and political opponents domestically and abroad, and funds extremist movements in stable democracies to bring the world down to its level. That's exactly the Russia I'm talking about.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

So, nice way to frame the argument that if I don't want him to be prosecuted with perjury (which I would say he didn't, since he answered the question being asked him), I must be for RUSSIA taking down ARE FREEDOMS. I'm going to disengage from this conversation, I feel like we won't ever agree with each other on this, and that is OK!

Yeah if you don't think Russia is bad, you are wayyyy to far down in the alt-right hole for a conversation with you to be productive.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

Yes, the country whose leaders invade weaker neighbors, assassinates journalists and political opponents domestically and abroad, and funds extremist movements in stable democracies to bring the world down to its level. That's exactly the Russia I'm talking about.

sounds like Saudi Arabia to me

It's not that Russia isn't bad, it's that they aren't so bad we can't have diplomatic relations w/ them wtf?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think it's more Russian than American to presume guilt before innocence, personally.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not a MAGA I just feel like this is nitpicky bullshit that isn't very important in light of the overwhelming amount of other stupid poo poo going on.
I think Trump's personal boner for Putin, explicitly framed around his authoritarianism, and the geopolitics of all this are definitely legitimate issues - but yeah, I can't really bring myself to give a poo poo about most of the Russia stuff that gets leaked to the WaPo every week or so. I'm for a full independent investigation into election interference and all that, but I'm not sure Sessions' answer there is evidence of some kind of major internal conspiracy.

Also, the super-focus on Russia by the Democrats is, very transparently, an attempt for the Clintonite wing of the party to a) deflect criticism for their monumental fuckup in the last election b) further the growing connections between neo-conservatives and Democratic hawks in the party that the Clinton campaign was nurishing in the first place, that would coincide with not really moving the party in a more social democratic direction. This has been true for months and if you look at who's tweeting about this the most it's easy to put together where the energy for this stuff is coming from. This isn't to exonerate Trump but it's worth considering.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Wiped? Like with a cloth?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah lying under oath is basically a complete and direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. don't you read the news?

Protip: you can maintain a healthy skepticism about the degree of Russian involvement in the election while still thinking Sessions should be removed from office or, at a bare minimum, removed from overseeing any investigations/prosecutions focused on the area that he lied about under oath.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sincx posted:

hmm good points lots of good evidence there that russia interfered with the election you loving moron

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

I think it's more Russian than American to presume guilt before innocence, personally.

So, like all the BUT HER EMAIL stuff?

If you want to get all "whataboutthat", I can too.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

dude, so you want Sessions to get away with perjury? regarding contact with a hostile foreign power? a HOSTILE foreign power????

What's the worst that could happen. It's not like Russia is an unstable autocracy with nuclear weapons or anything.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

hmm good points lots of good evidence there that russia interfered with the election you loving moron

That's not what you asked for. But since you asked about this now, here you go:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/21/17-intelligence-agencies-russia-behind-hacking/92514592/
http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/508355408/intelligence-chiefs-stand-more-resolutely-behind-finding-of-russia-election-hack

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Landstander posted:

I think Trump's personal boner for Putin, explicitly framed around his authoritarianism, and the geopolitics of all this are definitely legitimate issues - but yeah, I can't really bring myself to give a poo poo about most of the Russia stuff that gets leaked to the WaPo every week or so. I'm for a full independent investigation into election interference and all that, but I'm not sure Sessions' answer there is evidence of some kind of major internal conspiracy.

Also, the super-focus on Russia by the Democrats is, very transparently, an attempt for the Clintonite wing of the party to a) deflect criticism for their monumental fuckup in the last election b) further the growing connections between neo-conservatives and Democratic hawks in the party that the Clinton campaign was nurishing in the first place, that would coincide with not really moving the party in a more social democratic direction. This has been true for months and if you look at who's tweeting about this the most it's easy to put together where the energy for this stuff is coming from. This isn't to exonerate Trump but it's worth considering.

I agree with this post pretty much entirely.

It's totally worth considering which is why I say more information isn't a bad thing. It's good to investigate our public officials; I'm just wary of people going "aha this is clearly perjury!!" on the basis of some fairly tenuous stuff.

At the same time yeah, c'mon Clinton has been doing the Russian boogey man dance ever since she was running against Bernie and all the while our butt boys Saudi Arabia do the same or worse. At least women can drive in Russia.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

Holy poo poo a reasonable post!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

LGD posted:

Protip: you can maintain a healthy skepticism about the degree of Russian involvement in the election while still thinking Sessions should be removed from office or, at a bare minimum, removed from overseeing any investigations/prosecutions focused on the area that he lied about under oath.

i never said anything about not removing him from office. im just saying that its basically a direct confirmation of the russian conspiracy to elect trump, that as we all know has been confirmed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean as an eastern european just loving lol if you think the russians are that competent to begin with

maybe that's a racist statement but fwiw I don't think anyone is competent enough to influence US elections to that degree with that much secrecy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LGD posted:

Meeting with the Russian ambassador wasn't actually an expected part of that job, so the notion that it was normal/unexceptional doesn't really pass the laugh test.

From the AP:
"Sessions had more than 25 conversations with foreign ambassadors last year in his role as a U.S. senator and senior member of the Armed Services Committee, and had two separate interactions with Kislyak, the department confirmed.

One was a visit in September in his capacity as a senator, similar to meetings with envoys from Britain, China, Germany and other nations, the department said.

The other occurred in a group setting following a Heritage Foundation speech that Sessions gave during the Republican National Convention, when several ambassadors - including the Russian - approached him after the talk as he was leaving the stage, according to the department."

He should totally avoid ambassadors from places that liberals would like us to be at war with.

• Locked thread