Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

7 track rule really helped focus the Push and Cudi projects, works to Kanye's advantage too. I also appreciate them in the era of everyone stream-gaming with 100 minute albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
7 tracks works when you are making albums in 2 weeks too.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I think it varies based on the album. Like with the new gibbs its like 20 something minutes and it feels too short, theres just not enough of him actually rapping. But for Ye I think the short length works in its favor as its a very cohesive project with little filler compared to say tlop which is 20 songs and kind of scattershot. I also think the same applies to Daytona, which is much cleaner and listenable for me than mnimn

temple
Jul 29, 2006

focused only matters when its good and focused. these albums arent good enough for 7 tracks to stand on their own

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There's a happy medium to be had. 7 can work if it's really good, but like, the new Jedi Mind Tricks (to bring up something someone mentioned last page) is 19 songs. NOPE. Sorry, you sound way too same-y to put 19 god drat songs on a record, Vinnie Paz (I have a nostalgic sweet spot for JMT from the early 2000s and like some of the more recent stuff but I was too bored to finish the new one)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

these albums arent good enough for 7 tracks to stand on their own

:wrong:

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

temple posted:

focused only matters when its good and focused. these albums arent good enough for 7 tracks to stand on their own

Daytona and Kids See Ghosts are laser-focused, ksg especially benefits from not having any filler.

at least 3 of the 5 albums pulled it off imo (haven’t listened to teyana yet but it seems chill), and i personal preferred Ye’s run time to Life of Pablo’s bloat

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Vargatron posted:

gently caress I'm on a Yung Lean/Sadboys tip. pls send help

listen to bladee and drain gang

I did 2x 12hr car rides in the past week and listened to all of bladees poo poo and all of yung leans poo poo. Stranger is a really incredible album, produced so well (and I don't mean the beats, yung lean has always had incredible music).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

temple posted:

temple was right

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

I like the new death grips album. But I agree with the poster from a couple pages ago, it's more of a noise/experimental/lo-fi/etc rock album. Which I am a fan of in general but I can definitely understand it's cold reception here as a rap album release.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

listen to bladee and drain gang

drain gang is the bankroll mafia of sweden qtiyd

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

There's a happy medium to be had. 7 can work if it's really good, but like, the new Jedi Mind Tricks (to bring up something someone mentioned last page) is 19 songs. NOPE. Sorry, you sound way too same-y to put 19 god drat songs on a record, Vinnie Paz (I have a nostalgic sweet spot for JMT from the early 2000s and like some of the more recent stuff but I was too bored to finish the new one)
It's more like 14 tracks. 5 of them are short instrumental or sample-based interludes.

Not that you're wrong about album length--to me around 10 actual-tracks is the sweet-spot for a lot of rap records.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A concise number of tracks on an album doesn't mean anything when we listen to everything by singles or playlists. 7 tracks for a more focused album is irrelevant. If an album is 5 tracks or 40 tracks long the only thing that matters are the good songs to take and put into playlists.

As noted above, there's barely any Gibbs rapping on his album. I'd much rather the album be 20 songs and I can choose which songs are "bad" or "good" and put them on my playlist accordingly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

temple posted:

Daytona and KSG are at least. Ye sure isn't and I haven't heard Nasir or KTSE.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

A concise number of tracks on an album doesn't mean anything when we listen to everything by singles or playlists. 7 tracks for a more focused album is irrelevant. If an album is 5 tracks or 40 tracks long the only thing that matters are the good songs to take and put into playlists.

As noted above, there's barely any Gibbs rapping on his album. I'd much rather the album be 20 songs and I can choose which songs are "bad" or "good" and put them on my playlist accordingly.

thats a dumb take, you think everything should be like more life and mixtapes? I listen to albums all the time, esp in older music. just because the way music is consumed popularly has changed somewhat in recent times doesnt mean the concept of an album needs to die

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

do you like only listen to music at the gym or something

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tolkien minority posted:

thats a dumb take, you think everything should be like more life and mixtapes? I listen to albums all the time, esp in older music. just because the way music is consumed popularly has changed somewhat in recent times doesnt mean the concept of an album needs to die

Yes, more music from the musicians we like listening to is a good thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
to be pedantic, KTSE is 8 tracks. also I like it mostly

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yes, more music from the musicians we like listening to is a good thing.

Only if it's all good

temple
Jul 29, 2006

when i have sex, i only use the first 7 inches of dick. cause nobody needs all 12-15

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My dick is a lot like ye...

Short and bad

:cheers:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Only if it's all good

"Good" is subjective. Providing more music provides more opportunity for people to find music they think is good.

Plus, there's no guarantee that the trimmed down album of 7 tracks is "all good" either.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

"Good" is subjective. Providing more music provides more opportunity for people to find music they think is good.

Plus, there's no guarantee that the trimmed down album of 7 tracks is "all good" either.

I mean statistically, a slimmer album is far more likely to be "all good" than a 90 minute album. I really appreciate listening to an entire album at once, and if half of the tracks are "meh" or don't feel like they fit, my overall listening experience is going to be worse. When an album is really long without being cohesive, it makes me feel like the artist wasn't clear on the direction or vision of the album and instead just threw a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. I trust an artist to put out projects that feel like complete ideas, and don't feel like I should have to make a trimmed down playlist of an album to enjoy it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
At first I was so hyped for these projects but then after ye the hype died down.

KSG and Daytona are the good albums. KTSE is pretty good but I only heard it once so far

We really did not need that Nas album. Nas sounds so loving bored, his lyrics are honestly as bad if not worse than Kanye on ye.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

the moaning on hurry makes me unironically uncomfortable its worse than that sketch on ready to die

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

At first I was so hyped for these projects but then after ye the hype died down.

KSG and Daytona are the good albums. KTSE is pretty good but I only heard it once so far

We really did not need that Nas album. Nas sounds so loving bored, his lyrics are honestly as bad if not worse than Kanye on ye.

Pretty much same here. I really enjoy Daytona and KSG though and they will be in rotation for a long time.

Only track I like on Nasir is Cops Shot the Kid because it actually sounds interesting compared to the rest of that snoozefest.

I think I’m more disappointed in ye because even though Pablo was a mess in release, it still gave us some absolutely memorable tracks like Real Friends and Ultralight Beam. I just don’t feel that way about anything on ye.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

MrSargent posted:

Pretty much same here. I really enjoy Daytona and KSG though and they will be in rotation for a long time.

Only track I like on Nasir is Cops Shot the Kid because it actually sounds interesting compared to the rest of that snoozefest.

I think I’m more disappointed in ye because even though Pablo was a mess in release, it still gave us some absolutely memorable tracks like Real Friends and Ultralight Beam. I just don’t feel that way about anything on ye.

Echo that sentiment, and I secretly still like Pablo even with all the messyness and changes. If we could have gotten the original Waves version though...wooooooow that would have been a super classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZYJ-NVQhI

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

40 lbs to freedom posted:

the song donglover copied is fire honestly

His albums are on Spotify and I've been enjoying them so I guess thanks to dong for that?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

rewind the thread to the last donglover battle for laughs thanks

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yuzenn posted:

Echo that sentiment, and I secretly still like Pablo even with all the messyness and changes. If we could have gotten the original Waves version though...wooooooow that would have been a super classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZYJ-NVQhI

Yah I secretly, or not so secretly love Pablo. I frequently go back to the whole album and I'm pretty sure I have listened to Real Friends at least once a week since I first heard it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

no more parties in la is secret top-tier

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I maybe missed this but here's a new exquire song, the first peek at future AOTY BLACK GENIUS???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuHPL0w_ZU

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 25, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ultraklystron posted:

It's incredibly similar in the ways that matter, I'm just wondering when Gambino or his producer would've heard it, as apparently it only had 500ish views before someone noticed the parallels. If that can be pieced together, that's everything.

Gambino's manager claims that Glover started working on TIA 3 years ago (Predating the Jase Harley track). Sometimes thinks are just down to parallel thinking, but there are times when the two tracks sounds real similar, particularly in their delivery.

I don't think that Glover, like, maliciously took anything from that track at all, but I have to believe he heard it at some point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSargent posted:

Yah I secretly, or not so secretly love Pablo. I frequently go back to the whole album and I'm pretty sure I have listened to Real Friends at least once a week since I first heard it.
My man :hfive:

I still bump my copy of Pablo 1.0 regularly. gently caress the latest version that's on all the streaming services though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKriSNJlyg

Not sure this is the best representation of Brockhampton's sound as a whole, but it's still cool nevertheless.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DrVenkman posted:

Gambino's manager claims that Glover started working on TIA 3 years ago (Predating the Jase Harley track). Sometimes thinks are just down to parallel thinking, but there are times when the two tracks sounds real similar, particularly in their delivery.

I don't think that Glover, like, maliciously took anything from that track at all, but I have to believe he heard it at some point.

There are way too many similarities between the two tracks for me to believe that Glover never heard it. The timing of the track is also suspicious to me; the Jase Harley track dropped in March 2016, which would have been around the time Glover was finishing work on Awaken My Love (which was announced in the summer and released in late fall) and would have started to work on ideas for the next album. I find it really hard to believe that Donald Glover somehow managed to recreate someone else's song completely by accident without hearing it even once within the two years he was writing and recording his new album, especially when he has a history of making extremely derivative music and straight-up biting specific P-Funk songs on his last album.

tjones
May 13, 2005
He absolutely cribbed that song and you are niave if you think otherwise.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

gently caress I'm on a Yung Lean/Sadboys tip. pls send help

most of yung lean's albums are actually decent, the production is just really nice and he's got his own lane where i don't think he's "good" but he's adding to the tracks. rest of the sadboys dudes though are p much just worse versions of lean imo.

Robert Analog posted:

I maybe missed this but here's a new exquire song, the first peek at future AOTY BLACK GENIUS???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuHPL0w_ZU
i didn't want to listen to it because i want to wait for a whole album. i wish he was more prolific, he's at least the second best rapper around. kismet still gets a lot of play by me, and braniac was pretty much all fire last year.

and the glover thing is funny, but as others have said, there's like nothing more america than some rich dude taking someone else's poo poo and making a ton of money so it's pretty accurate.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The artist himself is just glad to have inspired great work and isn't about going after gambino and just hopes no one loses sight of the message in the songs.

Sounds like a good dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

he's happy with that hush money from Big Clown