Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's an eyeball, not a gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Die Sexmonster! posted:

What about this, exactly, is foreshadowing?

Yda's shadow is her 4.0 outfit

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

What about this, exactly, is foreshadowing?

Yda's shadow isn't wearing a helmet.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Inflammatory posted:

the empire wants to kill all the primals (summons) by killing all the beast tribes that summon them and also they want to take over the world. they all have gems in their faces, and they can't use magic, so they use technology to compensate. cid used to be the empire's best engineer but then he defected to the good guys' side. nero was the empire's second best engineer who was always super pissed at people comparing him to cid, and was one of the officers under ARR's main villain, gaius. you kicked nero's rear end shortly before kicking gaius's rear end, and then apparently he left the empire on some kind of journey of self discovery.

he appeared in like three scenes across the entirety of ARR so it's understandable that you don't remember him.

Thanks. Is the gem/eyeball thing ever explained? Like, does it do anything? Are they born with those?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Natural born Garleans have them, giving them better spatial awareness or something like that.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
They’re either born with them, or they grow in as they age. I’m not certain exactly which, but we do know of a half-Garlean character who spoke of people waiting for one to grow in. As for what it does, I THINK it allows them to naturally observe Arther currents, even if they can’t use magic themselves.

Story wise, it mainly identifies who’s a pure Garlean and who isn’t.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Alexander is phased in the forelands depending on how you're progressed the 3.x raids. Rhalgr's reach is phased based on MSQ progress. Namazu, Moogle, and Ananta all have phasing based on your progression.

The thing about XIV phasing is that it doesn't affect collision meshes, you'll notice that thing are always there already before they change. I think that's because they can't selectively show you player characters so if they added and removed collision people might be standing in things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

oh no blimp issue posted:

The thing about XIV phasing is that it doesn't affect collision meshes, you'll notice that thing are always there already before they change. I think that's because they can't selectively show you player characters so if they added and removed collision people might be standing in things.
Yeah isn't Alexander entirely in the water and so there's no real risk of collisions if people happy-rear end around the field where he is accessed?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Nessus posted:

Yeah isn't Alexander entirely in the water and so there's no real risk of collisions if people happy-rear end around the field where he is accessed?

Not totally, there's rock formations that get destroyed as he stands up. And they just so happen to totally map to his head and hands huh what are the odds!

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Huh. My Stormblood OST came in the mail today, and while I was giving it a listen I noticed that there were two different versions of Lakshmi's theme on the disc. I did some searching since I couldn't remember hearing the second one in-game and apparently there was some disagreement during development regarding Lakshmi's original primal design and accompanying theme, which resulted in a redesign to make her "cuter" and more youthful. Turns out this put Soken in a difficult spot, since he designed the theme based on the original concept and he wasn't sure how well it fit the new design, so he rerecorded a second version using the singer who did Shiva's theme. Ultimately the "VIP dev" (read: YoshiP) preferred this new version of the song, but Soken and co felt the original worked better, and with Koji Fox as a tiebreaker they managed to keep the original theme in-game to go along with the revamped Lakshmi design.

"" posted:

Soken: There's deep reason behind this one (laughs). Originally the prototype of Lakshmi was a lot more... [THICC]. It wasn't what the typical Japanese image of oriental, it was closer to what a Westerner would consider oriental. A traditional eastern goddess.

[Probably like this]

Then one day, a jingling and jangling VIP came along (NB: Yoshi-P with his accessories) and commanded, "This isn't cute!". And so it was that the traditionally oriental Lakshmi underwent emergency beauty therapy.

It was also extremely close to the deadline so I made hot-fixes to accomodate this new Lakshmi but the music was clearly based on the original [THICC] Lakshmi and wasn't sure if it would be accepted.

Ishikawa: We knew what he might say, "Shouldn't this music sound more youthful?"

Soken: The original music that I created matched the traditional oriental goddess. Then I saw the college girl remake of Lakshmi and asked Murata, who did the Shiva vocal, to give it a try. My orders were to sing it coyly, as if you're hiding your face from embarrassment.

With the two versions, we test played both versions in combat but neither of the music sounded better than the other. We finally took a vote where the jingle jangle voted for college girl and everyone else in the development team sided with the [THICC] original version. At the end, despite the guy with the most power wanted the college girl version, we have the original one used in our release build.

Having heard both versions, I feel they made the right call.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Giving the unused version a listen I definitely agree. The "Oasis Version" as they named it sounds a lot less unique in vocals. The one we go sounds way more authentically Indian which is great for the Bollywood Primal. I still appreciate the inclusion of these unused versions of tracks though.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I feel the song should have been in Hindi to be honest, that would have been great

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

jalapeno_dude posted:

Alexander is phased in the forelands depending on how you're progressed the 3.x raids.

uh, hm, i need to do the alexander raids

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Alakaiser posted:

Just giving Vesper Bay an aetheryte would've solved like 75% of my problems with ARR's main scenario.

Although it was pretty amusing when they turned that into a plot point.

You must mean Hyrstmill, my friend. Vesper Bay is but a short click away via Limsa Lominsa.

Seriously though why can't the WoL fund some aetheryte crystals for the smaller towns?

Note Block fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2018

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Note Block posted:

You must mean Hyrstmill, my friend. Vesper Bay is but a short click away via Limsa Lominsa.

Seriously though why can't the WoL fund some aetheryte crystals for the smaller towns?

Lolorito hires ala mighan refugees to kick them over when we aren't looking.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azerban posted:

Ak goons to unsynch it with you. I love the music.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Note Block posted:

Everyone always says this but during ARR I was playing on a toaster and my load times were garbage. It was straight up faster for me to run from Horizon. (unless I was already in Limsa I guess)

I do not miss playing on that computer.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Ak goons to unsynch it with you. I love the music.

Now that we have raid roulettes it isn't even bad to just queue for it through the Duty Finder; especially if you want to give the fights an honest try.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Azerban posted:

You really do. They're kind of insane. Agree to do the normal modes synced via Duty Finder. There's some really cool encounter design in there that you'll miss blowing them up unsynced.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alakaiser posted:

Everyone always says this but during ARR I was playing on a toaster and my load times were garbage. It was straight up faster for me to run from Horizon. (unless I was already in Limsa I guess)

I do not miss playing on that computer.

Sure.

PSA: it's 2018, get a loving SSD people

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sade posted:

You really do. They're kind of insane. Agree to do the normal modes synced via Duty Finder. There's some really cool encounter design in there that you'll miss blowing them up unsynced.

The time paradox bubbles in the final raid blew my mind the first time I played it, and they're still one of my favorite gimmicks of any fight.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Sure.

PSA: it's 2018, get a loving SSD people

I'll be sure to tell that to unemployed 2014 me.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The real problem with Lakshmi is that neither her plot personality (which is basically Ifrit 2.0) or her fight (which even in the EX version mostly involves her flipping between ‘normal’ and ‘pissy’ modes) reflect her actual design as, y’know, Primal of Desire. She just gets mad when she can’t temper the stupid outsiders and even her ‘revenge’ match is just another attempt at brute force tempering.

So you get this sultry design of a tempting lady hiding her snaky bits singing about giving into desire as she throws a massive hissy fit and tries to do the standard Primal thing of killing all nonbelievers. What could have been a slam dunk is sadly probably my least favorite Primal this expansion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I feel like Lakshmi's entry into the story comes at a weird time. Her whole shtick of giving up on the pain of reality and living in an eternal dream would be more meaningful if it came after some significant defeat, where Lyse/Alphinaud/Alisiae/whoever can resonate with that desire more strongly. I understand what they were trying to do with her inclusion thematically, but it just kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in the flow of the plot. Maybe have her summoned before Castrum Abania while Lyse is struggling to deal with the enormous responsibilities that've been placed on her shoulders, with her heroic resolve coming after that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inflammatory posted:

the empire wants to kill all the primals (summons) by killing all the beast tribes that summon them and also they want to take over the world. they all have gems in their faces, and they can't use magic, so they use technology to compensate. cid used to be the empire's best engineer but then he defected to the good guys' side. nero was the empire's second best engineer who was always super pissed at people comparing him to cid, and was one of the officers under ARR's main villain, gaius. you kicked nero's rear end shortly before kicking gaius's rear end, and then apparently he left the empire on some kind of journey of self discovery.

he appeared in like three scenes across the entirety of ARR so it's understandable that you don't remember him.

He was also kind of a big part of the Crystal Tower raid series in 2.X.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, most of people's Nero love comes from his semi-redemption in the CT story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Note that Nero not returning to Garlemald isn't just a fit of pique and whimsy: him and the entire XIVth Legion are effectively deserters, since Gaius' plan to conquer Eorzea was entirely self-initiated while Garlemald was in political turmoil after it became apparent Solus was close to kicking the bucket. The only thing waiting for him back home is a noose. It's part of the reason everyone's so cagey about him: he's done nothing to indicate he wouldn't jump ship and run back to the Empire if he got a pardon.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Note that Nero not returning to Garlemald isn't just a fit of pique and whimsy: him and the entire XIVth Legion are effectively deserters, since Gaius' plan to conquer Eorzea was entirely self-initiated while Garlemald was in political turmoil after it became apparent Solus was close to kicking the bucket. The only thing waiting for him back home is a noose. It's part of the reason everyone's so cagey about him: he's done nothing to indicate he wouldn't jump ship and run back to the Empire if he got a pardon.

At this point though, especially after the latest Omega wing, Nero is fully aware that you're a god killing god and won't hesitate to murder him should he gently caress you or Cid over. Plus, he KINDA likes you and Cid. He's very tsundere.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Locke posted:

The real problem with Lakshmi is that neither her plot personality (which is basically Ifrit 2.0) or her fight (which even in the EX version mostly involves her flipping between ‘normal’ and ‘pissy’ modes) reflect her actual design as, y’know, Primal of Desire. She just gets mad when she can’t temper the stupid outsiders and even her ‘revenge’ match is just another attempt at brute force tempering.

So you get this sultry design of a tempting lady hiding her snaky bits singing about giving into desire as she throws a massive hissy fit and tries to do the standard Primal thing of killing all nonbelievers. What could have been a slam dunk is sadly probably my least favorite Primal this expansion.

I chalk this up to an intentional hypocrisy with being the Primal of Desire. She knows what you really want and it's foolish to delude yourself that you don't want it (when really it's what she wants.) It's not an uncommon trope.

Then you scorn her and she stops being nice about it :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lakshmi's desire is being desired and she's really mad that you don't want her.

Which is kind of adorable in a way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lakshmi is an incel

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ugh. Yet another Trial Roulette gives me Castrum Fluminis, and yet again it ends with a Vote Abandon. I admit I am part of the problem, I am not great and screw up the mechanics a lot, but man pugs have not caught up to it at all yet. Every time there are multiple first-timers who haven't looked up mechanics and don't ask about them until we're midway thru the second wipe.

I've already cleared it so it's no biggie, but boy do I not enjoy seeing her come up on roulette right now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Also I just looked at a list of all the level 50 ARR quests I'm gonna need to do before I go into the expansions and holy shitballs there is a lot :stare:

Pray. Return.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

rujasu posted:

Ugh. Yet another Trial Roulette gives me Castrum Fluminis, and yet again it ends with a Vote Abandon. I admit I am part of the problem, I am not great and screw up the mechanics a lot, but man pugs have not caught up to it at all yet. Every time there are multiple first-timers who haven't looked up mechanics and don't ask about them until we're midway thru the second wipe.

I've already cleared it so it's no biggie, but boy do I not enjoy seeing her come up on roulette right now.

Just remove gear before queuing so you're below its ilvl requirement, then re-equip once you're inside the trial. This works to avoid the level 70 raids as well!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pugs are very bad at content. The last three or four Rabanastre parties I've been in have consistently wiped on Mateus before the toad phase.

That said, what trips you up on that fight? The ground debuff?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My issue with Lakshmi (and Susano for that matter) is that the fight design has a bunch of good underlying structure and mechanics that would have made for a really fantastic fight... but then they dumbed it down massively and it's a trivial joke of a fight. And we'll probably never see an Ultimate version of Lakshmi or Susano and even if we do it'll be inaccessible to most of the playerbase.

Byakko was also stupidly easy for a fight that could've been really cool and interesting. Tsukuyomi was much closer to the mark on difficulty.

I guess what I'm saying is I want Savage versions of the primals.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

More housechat. I've been working on the top floor of our new medium house. It's at a good spot for now, and I can't afford to do any more work anyway!

If anyone wants to visit and see for themselves, Lavender Beds 15, #1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

My issue with Lakshmi (and Susano for that matter) is that the fight design has a bunch of good underlying structure and mechanics that would have made for a really fantastic fight... but then they dumbed it down massively and it's a trivial joke of a fight. And we'll probably never see an Ultimate version of Lakshmi or Susano and even if we do it'll be inaccessible to most of the playerbase.

Byakko was also stupidly easy for a fight that could've been really cool and interesting. Tsukuyomi was much closer to the mark on difficulty.

I guess what I'm saying is I want Savage versions of the primals.

I am genuinely confused. Like... you do know that Extreme Primals exist, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lakshmi EX is even easier than normal, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lakshmi EX is even easier than normal, though. :v:

Haha, well, I can't argue with that, but there's still a second tier and honestly the difference between Savage and Extreme seems basically negligible in terms of actual expectations. It isn't like Alte Roche is particularly difficult or anything.