Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If nothing else, starting with a new game lets them put a bit of a reset on the power creep.
Can you imagine how overpowered even something like Kislevite Warriors would be if they'd come out as DLC for W2?

Also, not everyone buys DLC, but everyone who wants to get yet another Empire DLC is going to buy the base game it's attached to. So if everyone who's going to play the game is going to buy the base game, but not the DLC, you may as well churn out yet another base game and release as much DLC as you can get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Space Marines are kind of purpose built for endless DLC with minor cosmetic changes.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Space Marines are kind of purpose built for endless DLC with minor cosmetic changes.

Base game = blue

Color armor red, give a few extra chain swords = $20 + tip
Color armor green, give monk hoods = $20 + tip
Color armor grey, remove their helmets + give them red hair, = $33 + tip

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Base game = blue

Color armor red, give a few extra chain swords = $20 + tip
Color armor green, give monk hoods = $20 + tip
Color armor grey, remove their helmets + give them red hair, = $33 + tip

If they do go 40k, they'd better give us an army painter. Playing dress up with burly space marines sparks joy for me

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

das hipster posted:

If they do go 40k, they'd better give us an army painter. Playing dress up with burly space marines sparks joy for me

Unfortunately, I don't think it would ever happen. While Dawn of War might have established the army painter as a precedent, CA very much locks colors to factions. I don't think CA has ever let players customize colors.

Edit: unless... They did a daniel, build-a-bear space marine chapter and could name and color it whatever... that'd be rad.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 19, 2024

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think it would ever happen. While Dawn of War might have established the army painter as a precedent, CA very much locks colors to factions. I don't think CA has ever let players customize colors.

Edit: unless... They did a daniel, build-a-bear space marine chapter and could name and color it whatever... that'd be rad.

It's a faint hope I'll admit, but given the sheer number of Space Marine Chapters/Imperial Guard Regiments, etc, it would make sense in game, but yeah, like 95% chance thing'll be locked.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Shogun 2 had a whole army painter army builder attached to the multi.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Rebellion owns and I still play my friend at it

The biggest obstacle is the actual god awful UI

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Third World Reagan posted:

what op race packs would 40K have

eldar with even more long range guns?!?!?!

Import the orks from Warhammer total war in their entirety. Don't change a single thing about them

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jarvisi posted:

Import the orks from Warhammer total war in their entirety. Don't change a single thing about them

Grimgrog is eternal

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Captain Beans posted:

CA will make 40k. it will follow the same 3 game release model. and they will repeat and magnify all of the problems they have had with Warhammer 1/2/3 with early forks all over again, losing features, reintroducing bugs, etc. learning nothing from their time with Warhammer.

The best engine fork, Three Kingdoms, will never be used in another game

this is what the future tells me

This except no 40k TW

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the company will have died approximately ten times in the span of this

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Nurgle isn't weak, it's just slow to get going. Once you've got your "production lines" set up, you become unstoppable. Tamurkhan is easily one of the most powerful campaigns right now. Top 3 if not number 1. The regular units are tough as nails, and you get you silly levels of unkillable once you're fielding chosen and rot knights + healing.

weak start = weak campaign

everyone is strong when they get going

compare to far harder starts like boris and put him there instead at war with the same factions (archaeon). Do they do better or worse?

also, in mp, you are required to engage by their rules and one of those is... having to engage. In the reality of the game, slow units are weak units.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if they had decent range options, I'd agree but they feel slower than dwarfs did before the update and lack the artillery and ranged options.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hey vlad

two units of long rifles and two of ironsides say you a bitch

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You’ll run out of bullets before VC runs out of Vlads.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Time to play the game

Guess which lord?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cranappleberry posted:

weak start = weak campaign

everyone is strong when they get going

compare to far harder starts like boris and put him there instead at war with the same factions (archaeon). Do they do better or worse?

also, in mp, you are required to engage by their rules and one of those is... having to engage. In the reality of the game, slow units are weak units.

Not to be a smartass but are you coming off a Ku'gath campaign? He is one of the weakest and hardest starts in the game but that's due to Ku'gath things, not Nurgle things. His IE start is heinous and his RoC start was plagued for a year by strong neighbors, centralized position and loving Tzeentch neighbors. The irony of course is that Ku'gath personally is a fantastic LL. So Nurgle is pretty weak and bad from that position but now you've got two more and doing the Chaos Wastes warmup lap makes every faction that starts there too easy, imo.

As an exclusively VH campaign veteran I gotta say it's fine. You can have a slow start. 20 turns spent doing nothing is alright. What really matters is what you do with that slow start, it's gonna be different context for every LL. I've had plenty of games where I lazily wait out most of a ten turn castle siege because I don't think I can actually win it with the 1v2 + towers army comp but the comp is afraid to sally to open field because numbers. Tomb Kings ALWAYS start slow but their campaigns aren't unplayable. The true make or break in campaign tends to happen with diplomacy blunders. Nurgle also has comically easy to defend land due to their corruption, plagues, tactics and (formerly) busted super towers.

In MP Nurgle has only been rising since launch so not sure why getting a bunch of new unit options including cavalry AP shredders and multiple Lords would kick them down.

Is Nurgle weaker than other factions? Sure. Is Nurgle weak, especially in campaign? Nah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Time to play the game

Guess which lord?

I want to say this is a beast man? Morghur?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

spoiler

Wulfrik the Wanderer

I want to say his start is the hardest too just because he is an older lord with no updated mechanics surrounded by way newer people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

spoiler

Wulfrik the Wanderer

I want to say his start is the hardest too just because he is an older lord with no updated mechanics surrounded by way newer people.

Lol this is my second most played behind Karl I'm a failure.

I've blocked it out in my mind. Nah man really the monster hunts makes up for it :cry:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

Nah man really the monster hunts makes up for it :cry:

Did they ever fix those, or do they still just break halfway through but still count as active so you can't start another?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Not to be a smartass but are you coming off a Ku'gath campaign? He is one of the weakest and hardest starts in the game but that's due to Ku'gath things, not Nurgle things. His IE start is heinous and his RoC start was plagued for a year by strong neighbors, centralized position and loving Tzeentch neighbors. The irony of course is that Ku'gath personally is a fantastic LL. So Nurgle is pretty weak and bad from that position but now you've got two more and doing the Chaos Wastes warmup lap makes every faction that starts there too easy, imo.

As an exclusively VH campaign veteran I gotta say it's fine. You can have a slow start. 20 turns spent doing nothing is alright. What really matters is what you do with that slow start, it's gonna be different context for every LL. I've had plenty of games where I lazily wait out most of a ten turn castle siege because I don't think I can actually win it with the 1v2 + towers army comp but the comp is afraid to sally to open field because numbers. Tomb Kings ALWAYS start slow but their campaigns aren't unplayable. The true make or break in campaign tends to happen with diplomacy blunders. Nurgle also has comically easy to defend land due to their corruption, plagues, tactics and (formerly) busted super towers.

In MP Nurgle has only been rising since launch so not sure why getting a bunch of new unit options including cavalry AP shredders and multiple Lords would kick them down.

Is Nurgle weaker than other factions? Sure. Is Nurgle weak, especially in campaign? Nah.

I've played kugath before but nah. I'm not saying nurgle has nothing good either, because they have one of the best lores of magic and, when you get there, they can drain the enemy or mow them down fairly but getting there is annoying. The slow campaign start is fine because not everyone has a booming economy or is in a safe enough position to support aggressive expansion but the battles themselves are just not fun.

Tomb kings were a lot more fun when the LLs started with a construct. Slow to expand because of the lack of armies and unit limitations but overall just a matter of patience and planning. Now their early battles are tedious to the point of being unfun and their start positions make that even more painful.

for MP, nurgle has two things going 1. A large HP pool to mitigate losing to kiting+ranged and 2. the rules governing "official" play. Even without using total degeneracy and picking whatever, they would get destroyed without the engagement rule and there are some players that def ride the line on what counts as having to engage in order to win.

as a counterpoint, dwarves were always slow and had glaring weaknesses+easy counters but were still fun imo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remember when skull islands in TW2 were 10,000 gold each

They were for everyone except norsca since norsca was a raid based economy

Now norsca is more of a port based economy but sea trash is still worth very little money

just lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

the battles themselves are just not fun.

2. the rules governing "official" play. Even without using total degeneracy and picking whatever, they would get destroyed without the engagement rule and there are some players that def ride the line on what counts as having to engage in order to win.

True, I can't argue with these points. A really good point that MP has the fair play rules too. I do have a lot of fun in single player Nurgle myself, a love of the slow grind and "DoT" damage approach. I ran the LLs for a few turns in the campaign to get more recent data and Nurgle has all their old strengths and then some.

---

I always like to back my goofy war game assertions with actual experience so I hopped on Tamurkhan IE for a bit and wow, the updated research tree, buildings and plagues are just a ton of new free numbers buttons. You can address the classically bad demon replenishment with base plague ingredient +10% replenishment(attrition to enemy on spread) and +4 Attack/Defense. Nurgle lords get immediate access to -15% upkeep too, the MVP of the blue line. The constant flood of updated faction missions to feed you free money makes recruitment easy. All the early Nurgle research are the kind of things you'd rush in any other faction (massive +growth, +diplomacy to everybody in and adjacent to Chaos Wastes.) I'm on legendary by accident since it carried over from my Gelt start but everything here applies to VH too.

A-Click/Decisive Victory two provinces to start, Kholek shows up with a real stack, close victory a-resolve though, fight the battle to see my toys smash each other. 4 dogs in Kholek's army are badly wasted against a faction that doesn't retreat. :haw: Kholek begs for peace with a sweet bribe after this but waddling over to smash the Challenge Stone isn't a big ask. I want to speedrun slam dunking Archaon though.

Tamurkhan getting a free hero is some DLC power creep and he's a beast besides. Starting without a caster is usually a nasty hurdle but this'll do. Using some merge-fu I've got a 20 stack as fast as if not faster than other non-Nurgle factions(some of those clowns have to recruit to 20 with 2 recruit slots a turn!) Free units for winning battles is certainly a mechanic. I'm even discarding nurglings to replace with plaguebearers as money allows. Behold, a Turn 11 army:

Try to besiege Archaon's capital with +2 lords, can't autoresolve this one but I can use the ol' siege and bleed. Oh no! Archaon is here! I guess 4 stacks is 1 too many. Well, I initiated a bad attack anyway, clicked on the city instead of one of the lords outside of it. If I reload and attack a lord outside the city to force a field battle... Pyrrhic Victory autoresolve without a single unit lost. Not bad for 20 vs 30 with 5 RoRs in the enemy team.

A sneaky scheme enters my mind. I decide to sack the city and back off. A bit cheesy that I know Archaon is coming(legendary ain't all that legendary if you don't toggle iron man saves on too, I think it was default in TWWH2 legendary) but hey, I'm pushing the limits of speed on the slow faction. Archaon can't reach me to engage even with force march(or chooses not to) and I back off to my land. Merge 4 Plaguebearers for 2 open slots, grab the 2 RoRs I've earned, boot starting Pestigors, merge Plaguebearers down to another 4 open slots, grab +3 Plaguebearers and +1 Exalted.

1.5 Norscan vassal stacks run up beside me as Archaon hangs back. They're marauder and dog chaff stacks so I blow through them like a blob of plagued acid through a paper bag. I get an additional +15% ward for Tamur and +10% army move to my free chieftain hero. I celebrate with free rot knights. Rewards for winning battles I'd have anyway! Nothing like a little cash to tip the scales. Tamurkhan and his free hero also get an easy access to +20% army speed. :laffo: Noticing a trend here. Here's a look at the most danger I've been in all game, stomping my way to annihilating Kholek and Archaon in 20ish turns:

The starter chieftain gets a free province wide unavoidable plague too... incredible. Archaon wants to fight but since I control the pace I back up once. A delay? Ah, but I've got the infections to renew my plague! Archaon's army is strong but I can freely build my provinces and he can't leave his capital to expand. My research finishes for a free +7 to beating up other guys in the Chaos Wastes. OK... Archaon actually left his city so I waddle over, take it, add another RoR to my guys and now I'm stuck looking for him as he runs scared. His vassals beg for peace as Archaon rushes back to try and escape the ultimate plague: no home city attrition. His army is at half strength and I give them the final rest they desire.

The rest of the game is pretty meaningless from here. I guess I could force diplomatic contact to the east early for the classic Nurgle vs Tzeentch animosity? To the west are Epidemius and Daniel, I guess Kholek will recover eventually but he's actually already positive with me. He even starts with +15 with Tamurkhan despite starting at war with you, hah! You do need to drop him for campaign victories but... eh, so what? Pacify your border, expand in another direction, come back at your leisure. Drop treaties and wait 10 turns, easy.

OK, maybe this is all Tamurkhan strength. A lot of DLC lords get so many free boosts they're foolproof. How does Epidemius look? Well he starts with a free spellcaster and a good summon, his passive benefits are better than Tamurkhan's other than the free chieftain goodies. His starting position is safer than Tamurkhan's even for the Chaos Wastes warmup lap. He also gets a free unique campaign mechanic in his tallies anyway so power boost ahoy. His skill tree uniques are fantastic. -35% upkeep in his themed LL army? Sure! Nurgle gets Renowned and Feared in their blue line too, hah!

OK OK, I'm curious. How does Ku'gath look in IE? Ghorst's regen bug has been fixed by now and he'll benefit from the buildings, plague and research overhauls. His passives have been changed to embrace the new plague system, good stuff. My memory may be wrong here but I think they made his starter city better. Tier 2 + landmark already made and it's a very good one, similar to the Tretch/Queek boosts they got for WH3 rebalancing.

Looks like Nurgle got the usual faction update power creep. So many "how can you lose with this" freebies and Nurgle was already manageable before Throne. Even Ku'gath looks like a doable if slower and harder campaign in IE!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any Slaanesh-heads itc? Whats the deal with Seductive Influence as N'kali in IE, I assume its meant to be spread abroad vs on Ulthuan? Elves have such a huge diplo malus against you and all. Think I wasted a ton of turns trying to use it on the Elves there, the meager additions werent accumulating faat enough.

Love their army playstyle though!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 19, 2024

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dandywalken posted:

Any Slaanesh-heads itc? Whats the deal with Seductive Influence as N'kali in IE, I assume its meant to be spread abroad vs on Ulthuan? Elves have such a huge diplo malus against you and all. Think I wasted a ton of turns trying to use it on the Elves there, the meager additions werent accumulating faat enough.

I'd try and send the cultists much further, because as you say, it takes a while for it to really take affect. although battles and such also contribute to it, i find you get better value using the make cults thing to have them far away, and then work on the factions near that that are seductible. also agreements spread it as well, so you can make your erstwhile allies into your vassals while doing the regular total war things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dandywalken posted:

In addition to what Ardent said, it rewards you for making friends with other Chaos factions to enslave them - beastmen are particularly susceptible to it, as are wood elves given how few settlements they tend to have.

I like to send my first cultists over to the Sisters of Twilight, it doesn't matter if they like you or not if you're racking up the seduction.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ad090 posted:

Who likes leaks and rumors?

lol

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I like that some factions have a slow start and a different playstyle

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Alctel posted:

I like that some factions have a slow start and a different playstyle

No, you must post extensively about the factions you don’t like for some reason.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

No, you must post extensively about the factions you don’t like for some reason.

taking the podium to slander Lizardmen for the next 7 hours

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

still kinda laughing here that for norsca, every devotion just adds +port money

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Youtubers reporting on Total War Centre leaks. Hell yeah. I am now completely on board with every rumour. CA simultaneously developing multiple new games on a brand new engine after 98% layoffs which is very ambitious for such a very, very dead company

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I am amazed to have finally discovered a Total War Centre post without any Balkan ethnonationalism though. Big changes indeed

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I should be able to upgrade my baby saurus units into Temple Guard. Also there should be different versions of Temple Guard like great weapons or whatever.

The warriors of chaos upgrade system is so cool everyone should have it.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I should be able to upgrade my baby saurus units into Temple Guard. Also there should be different versions of Temple Guard like great weapons or whatever.

The warriors of chaos upgrade system is so cool everyone should have it.

Here ya go:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2853239091

I use this as standard for lizardmen campaigns.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Nurgle is pretty strong and can poo poo out full stacks filled with chaos warriors and knights. Also my Tamurkhan army was super mobile and all hammer, no anvil.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

This is some hot horseshit.

Ah well

RIP bearded arsonists. If it makes you feel better, Epidemius was a walkover after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

taking the podium to slander Lizardmen for the next 7 hours

The thing that irritates me the most about Lizardmen is how many spinny animations they have. I don't like spinny attacks. Just swing the weapon damnit.