Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I have never even seen a Peter Handke book, Empfehlungen? Ich kaempf mich schon seit Monaten durch einen Jelinek-Waelzer und jetzt haett ich gern noch was von einem Landsmann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/flagsmashupbot/status/1182637001960505345?s=21

All hail Mevaria, land of eye-wateringly ugly flags

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich posted:

All hail Mevaria, land of eye-wateringly ugly flags
Could do with the ox head in every diamond.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I hope the forums stop making GBS threads the bed long enough for me to lob this turd in here:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/zehn-jahre-nobelpreis-fuer-barack-obama-der-damalige-us-praesident-hat-recht-behalten/25108550.html

quote:

Zehn Jahre Nobelpreis für Barack Obama
Der damalige US-Präsident hat Recht behalten

Frisch als US-Präsident gekürt, erhielt er 2009 den Friedensnobelpreis. Obamas Rede damals ging in die Glieder, und sie stimmt noch heute. Ein Kommentar. VON STEPHAN-ANDREAS CASDORFF

Wie die Zeit vergeht. Vor zehn Jahren erhielt Barack Obama, damals Amerikas Präsident, den Friedensnobelpreis und hielt in Oslo eine Dankesrede, die den Zuhörern zwar nicht das Mark in den Knochen gefrieren ließ, ihnen aber in die Glieder fuhr.

Denn er sprach – vom Krieg. Es ging um diese Formulierung einer Zwangsläufigkeit: Im Angesicht des Bösen gilt es manchmal, Krieg zu führen – doch zugleich nach Frieden zu streben, als Geschichte menschlichen Fortschritts, als Hoffnung der Welt, als Herausforderung, die „wir auf dieser Welt“ bewältigen müssen.

Und, wo stehen wir auf dieser Welt heute? Jedenfalls nicht besser da. Gewaltlosigkeit, das Diktum anderer Friedensnobelpreisträger, hat immer noch nicht gewonnen. Zivilisation und Gewalt sind immer noch die gegensätzlichen Konzepte, als die sie Martin Luther King vor Jahrzehnten in einem vorigen Jahrhundert gebrandmarkt hat.

Zivilisierter sind wir augenscheinlich nicht geworden. Schauen wir uns um. Allein Deutschland hat gut 3300 Soldaten im Auslandseinsatz, die helfen sollen, Konflikte einzudämmen.

Obama hat Recht behalten. Er drängte, als erstes die „harte Wahrheit anzuerkennen, dass wir gewaltsame Konflikte zu unseren Lebzeiten nicht ausrotten werden“. Zu sagen, dass Gewalt manchmal notwendig sei, „ist keine Aufforderung zum Zynismus – es ist eine Erkenntnis der Geschichte, der Unperfektheit des Menschen und der Grenzen der Vernunft“.

Das zu hören mutete er den Zuhörern zu – aber auch, dass „Gewalt schrittweise durch Institutionen eingedämmt“ werden sollte, ja doch eigentlich muss, um immerhin der Vernunft keine Grenzen zu setzen, wie Obama damit wohl meinte.

Vor zehn Jahren war das. Heute regiert ein anderer Präsident Amerika, Donald Trump. Der dämmt die Wirkung von Institutionen immer weiter ein und erschüttert sie immer wieder in ihren Grundfesten.

Aber Trump täuscht sich, wenn er denkt, dass sich das Böse anders besser bekämpfen, beherrschen ließe. Denn er gefährdet so die Chance der Welt auf menschlichen Fortschritt. Seine Ignoranz erhöht das Risiko. Das trifft die Welt ins Mark. Dieser Präsident wird kein Nobelpreisträger.

how many layers of centrism are you on

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

married but discreet posted:

I have never even seen a Peter Handke book, Empfehlungen? Ich kaempf mich schon seit Monaten durch einen Jelinek-Waelzer und jetzt haett ich gern noch was von einem Landsmann.

Dieses ist sehr hübsch. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01A64SRO0/ Habe es nicht gelesen aber so von der Aufmachung her wäre das meine Wahl

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unfollowed Martin Sonneborn on Twitter today as he thought it's a-ok to retweet pictures of dead, mutilated children without any warning. Thanks dude.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
https://twitter.com/heuteplus/status/1182586797240602624

And as we're now back in the good old days of the early 2000s, may I recommend shorting the US housing market in 2008?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sereri posted:

Unfollowed Martin Sonneborn on Twitter today as he thought it's a-ok to retweet pictures of dead, mutilated children without any warning. Thanks dude.

Sometimes even comedians get angry and serious. Having seen those same pictures, while i had more self control, yeah, i too want everyone possible to see them to understand that trump is not a joke, but actively a child murderer and that everyone who didn't do what they (reasonably) could against him is responsible as well.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Smirr posted:

I hope the forums stop making GBS threads the bed long enough for me to lob this turd in here:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/zehn-jahre-nobelpreis-fuer-barack-obama-der-damalige-us-praesident-hat-recht-behalten/25108550.html

how many layers of centrism are you on

So he wants Trump do more wars to get a Nobel peace prize?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sereri posted:

It's a-ok

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just saw the Dackel one and thought "Ist das ein Banksy?" Also I believe this image contains magicks potent enough to slay oliwan on sight

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
They could just have skipped the slogan (and the hammering it home with BESETZT on the towel lol) and avoided the "How do you do, fellow kids"feeling entirely because there's instagram accounts that do it way better

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Ee2msIDnu/?igshid=1mb993w3v32t0

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Tag yourselves, I am the single glass of pickles on the Kassenband.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ich bin Wald

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zwille posted:

They could just have skipped the slogan (and the hammering it home with BESETZT on the towel lol) and avoided the "How do you do, fellow kids"feeling entirely because there's instagram accounts that do it way better

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Ee2msIDnu/?igshid=1mb993w3v32t0

"better", that guy has like a 0.05 hitrate

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can millenials even afford resorts where there are pools and chairs to reserve?

Feels like towels might be a boomer and fatcat thing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirr posted:

I just saw the Dackel one and thought "Ist das ein Banksy?" Also I believe this image contains magicks potent enough to slay oliwan on sight

lol smh, just smdh

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The "Stau" one confuses the hell out of me. It's DDR cars near some border, but afaik the DDR had always recognized Oder-Neiße? And if it's BRD then it's post Wende and therefore post Ostverträge. :wtc:

And if some nutjob right-wing Vertriebenenverein hanged it there, why is the Bundesregierung using it in some ad?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

The "Stau" one confuses the hell out of me. It's DDR cars near some border, but afaik the DDR had always recognized Oder-Neiße? And if it's BRD then it's post Wende and therefore post Ostverträge. :wtc:

And if some nutjob right-wing Vertriebenenverein hanged it there, why is the Bundesregierung using it in some ad?

The whole thing is very confusing to me op. Are these supposed to celebrate Germannes? :chloe:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I do like the Socks one because I can appreciate that they included a Neukölln scene in there

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Turns out I'm too bad at GIMP to isolate the template, so just pretend I posted two edits of those, one with that nazi from Rostock-Lichtenhagen with the pissed pants, and one with something from Auschwitz, thanks

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirr posted:

Turns out I'm too bad at GIMP to isolate the template, so just pretend I posted two edits of those, one with that nazi from Rostock-Lichtenhagen with the pissed pants, and one with something from Auschwitz, thanks

Did this already in my mind already before you op, sorry

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol the "Wohnungsbau Genossenschaften Berlin" are very butthurt about the mietendekkel and polluting Berlin with posters like this:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

lol the "Wohnungsbau Genossenschaften Berlin" are very butthurt about the mietendekkel and polluting Berlin with posters like this:

I take it you disagree with their position that the Mietdeckel negatively affects coops while not really stopping institutional real estate investors?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

Donations to the FDP: 30000€
Instandhaltung 50€
Advertising against rent control:200000€
Lawyers: 300000€

Somebody who is good at the economy help me budget this. My Mietzinshaus is dying.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

Donations to the FDP: 30000€
Instandhaltung 50€
Advertising against rent control:200000€
Lawyers: 300000€

Somebody who is good at the economy help me budget this. My Mietzinshaus is dying.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol just caught these in the wild

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

oliwan posted:

lol just caught these in the wild

lmfao

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Für wen sind die eigentlich? Kein Mieter der Welt sieht diese Werbung und sagt: "Die haben recht! Wir müssen höhere Mieten zahlen!"

Und für jeden reichen Vermieter, der auf die lockeren Sprüche reinfällt, kommen zehn Mieter, die erst jetzt lernen was für Halunken Vermieter sein können.

Der ganze Vorgang erscheint mir suspekt. Können wir sicher sein, dass es sich nicht um Propaganda gegen Vermieter handelt?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Libluini posted:

Für wen sind die eigentlich? Kein Mieter der Welt sieht diese Werbung und sagt: "Die haben recht! Wir müssen höhere Mieten zahlen!"

Und für jeden reichen Vermieter, der auf die lockeren Sprüche reinfällt, kommen zehn Mieter, die erst jetzt lernen was für Halunken Vermieter sein können.

Der ganze Vorgang erscheint mir suspekt. Können wir sicher sein, dass es sich nicht um Propaganda gegen Vermieter handelt?

Genossenschaften. Die Mieter sind also gleichzeitig Gesellschafter der Vermieter.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I am not educated on the berlin situation, but if those really are Genossenschaften, then those are basically Mieters saying they need to be able to miet themselves, which makes me think they might have a point. The Genossenschaften i, my sister and parents are in in Stralsund have always been excellent coops and have never taken more money than they actually needed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mithaldu posted:

I am not educated on the berlin situation, but if those really are Genossenschaften, then those are basically Mieters saying they need to be able to miet themselves, which makes me think they might have a point. The Genossenschaften i, my sister and parents are in in Stralsund have always been excellent coops and have never taken more money than they actually needed.

The simplified argument but forth my many, although not all, Wohnbaugenossenschaften as part of that campaign against the 2020 Mietdeckel is as such:

1.) It's cosmetics. There aren't enough dwellings to go around. There needs to be more investing into housing.

2.) Coops work on the basis that people become members of the coop, the coop builds housing and rents that housing to its members. Any profits can be reinvested into acuqiring more housing. The 2020 Mietdeckel has a number of issues for the coop models. In particular, costs of buildings (i.e. labour and material) increase at a rate that is consistently above what the coops could adjust their rent rates under the new Mietdeckel to. This makes it harder for coops to invest in more housing or the improvement of pre-existing housing stock.

There are other issues with the Berlin Mietdeckel as is, due to what it is actually applicable to. The Mietdeckel being less-than-perfect would probably be acceptable, if Berlin would follow it up with deliberate program for sustainable housing in Berlin right in 2020, but I'm not optimistic.

As is, it basically freezes the rents of rich sexpats like oliwan, but does not really do anything to protect the olds (:shrug:) and the poor, who are just one loophole or big repair away from losing their Bestandswohnung and being pushed out of the city in favor of people with higher income flocking into the city.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mods please rename me Rich Sexpat

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hi, yes, hello. I have totally an opinion on this. Depending on how the law work I can see that Genossenschaften might get hosed over by it. If you already have very low rents + Mietbremse and your Personalkosten and Wartungskostrn increase by 3% per year they will have to cut down on investment Rücklagen(Wohnungsneubau) and ultimately on Wartung and Personal sooner or later. Then go bankrupt.

Basically, a Mietpreisbremse should be targeted at Spekulanten and exploitative landlords not Genossenschaft who work with in the system of soziale Marktwirtschaft.

e: aaah, well, Randler already posted good. But please still pity read my shitpost out of solidarity

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too bad that "soziale Marktwirtschaft" doesn't exist

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look at the insane propaganda posters I posted and ask yourself if they are on the side of the Mieter or the Vermieter. Then ask yourself if the propaganda worked on you (because you have internalised capitalism as normal and positive) and adjust accordingly.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The other big issue with the Mietdeckel - as previous attempts at Mietpreisbremsen - is enforcement. Legal restrictions on rents do nothing, if the state cannot effectively these restrictions being applied.

Enforcement of rent caps faces a number of challenges due to the nature of the housing market. Big commercial landlords will probably comply with the letter of the law while at the same time spending a lot of money on lawyers and lobbying to test just how close they can push the line. Private landlords, which make up a decent amount, will probably just do as they please, as most boombers are want to do. Institutional investors in real estate (i.e. Spekulanten and ~my Versorgungswerk~) will probably be able to channel their investments in manners that dodge the issue via targeting new buildings to which rent caps don't apply or via targeting a clientele that has enough money to not bother caring about rent caps in the first place. Another issue arises from the manner in which you want to create enforcement. If you create a public oversight, you need to staff agencies with people and do enough checks to motivate people to comply. Given Berlin's budget and personnel issues, I'm very skeptical of Berlin's ability to enforce any rent caps via public oversight. If you refer people to the Schiedsamt regular courts, a lot of low-income renters will not realistically be able to get their rights even with Germany's comparatively decent legal aid system.

Which ultimately leads to the conclusion that the ~sensible and rational~ position on housing policy would be to (i) make housing investment a public responsibility again and (ii) place strict limits on private investments in housing (excl. first residences and coops). Not politically viable or realistic in the current climate, however.

oliwan posted:

Look at the insane propaganda posters I posted and ask yourself if they are on the side of the Mieter or the Vermieter. Then ask yourself if the propaganda worked on you (because you have internalised capitalism as normal and positive) and adjust accordingly.

I'm pretty sure the terrible PR posters are on the side of Vermieter which are fully owned by their Mieters, so ultimately the truth is in the middle, op. Because that's what a coop is.

Randler fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

hey oliwan, you're being an attacktivist. it's nice that you're wanting to further the advance of leftism, but please actually engage with this critically. randler and gaba ghoul are making extremely good points, and memeing about marx doesn't dismantle them.

as for the posters: the global warming one is a bit weird, but the other two make perfect sense and actually are for mieters. WGBs do a LOT of construction and repair work on apartments they control, and because they are run BY MIETERS they don't just do them to ekel out mieters and then raise the price. my apartment has hartz4-compatible price, hasn't seen more than 3% price raise in 10 loving years, and in that time they've done several upgrades to the house and my apartment itself, like completely new doors, completely new hot water/heating/gas system and up-coming even new windows + balcony. i've also seen them completely overhaul ruins into livable modern apartments with loving floor heating, into which my unemployed sister with kid and low-paying-employed husband moved.

those posters would be insane if they came from actual vermieter, but in my experience WGB are not that, and you'd be an idiot to close your eyes to that possibility.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw I have just bought weed from a new service in Berlin where you contact them via private message and then they come by your house lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ja lol ey :geno: