Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That was a breath-taking scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The rallying cry of all HZD players

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite little things from a game is how Louis Daguerre was a French painter who created 'Daguerreotypes', a process that gave portraits a sharp reflective style, like a mirror. I still remember that vividly.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Not quite, Daugerrotypes are a type of photography. Silver plated copper is coated with a light sensitive chemical and then exposed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

SimonChris posted:

One of my favorite little things from a game is how Louis Daguerre was a French painter who created 'Daguerreotypes', a process that gave portraits a sharp reflective style, like a mirror. I still remember that vividly.

Which game was that?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

HelleSpud posted:

Not quite, Daugerrotypes are a type of photography. Silver plated copper is coated with a light sensitive chemical and then exposed.

:ssh: I think that's why it's their favorite little thing in a game

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thinky Whale posted:

In odd little free horror game If On A Winter's Night Four Travelers (which is free here , as the lines of what the librarian monster has written get erased, they also visibly vanish on the graphic.

Somebody's read Italo Calvino

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Qwertycoatl posted:

Which game was that?

Isn’t that too easy? Too obvious?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

The rallying cry of all HZD players

I didn’t realize it was and when I got to That Scene I posted “gently caress Ted Faro” in the spoiler thread and got a bunch of replies of “One of us! One of us!”. It was great.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

exquisite tea posted:

No

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Vic posted:

:ssh: I think that's why it's their favorite little thing in a game

What's the game? How is a little thing in it? What's the context in any way? You're going "shh" like anything was actually communicated

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

HelleSpud posted:

What's the game? How is a little thing in it? What's the context in any way? You're going "shh" like anything was actually communicated

I... I can't tell you

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Suffice to say that if you play HZD you will at some point go from thinking "this Ted Faro guy seems like a bit of an rear end in a top hat" to "gently caress Ted Faro".

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not really into the "early 19th century French inventors in a slightly parallel world" game genre so no.

e: So I guess this little epidemic of insufferable coyness actually means "it's somehow a big spoiler for some game"?

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jul 20, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He is a massive selfish coward who placed his ego above the survival of others. Can't get lower than that, to me anyway.

He destroys the collective knowledge of humanity in an attempt to scrub his name from history. He does this apocalyptically selfish act at a point of absolutely no return.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Jul 20, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He's also a Silicon-valley Techbro with a resemblance to the usual suspects. He'd be an rear end in a top hat outside of the two apocalypses he causes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm not really into the "early 19th century French inventors in a slightly parallel world" game genre so no.

e: So I guess this little epidemic of insufferable coyness actually means "it's somehow a big spoiler for some game"?

My guess is Bioshock Infinite but no one would care to keep that one unspoiled.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm guessing HZD since people are talking about that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm guessing HZD since people are talking about that

I'm pretty sure two different conversations are going on right now. It's either that or I just missed the audio log talking about Daguerreotypes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Only game I know daguerrotypes from is Life is Stange in the opening conversation with your teacher. Don't know why people are being smug idiots about it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nah I missed the daguerreotype part of the conversation and thought the "early 19th century French inventors in a slightly parallel world" was also someone else named Ted faro that they knew of but not in this context?

You know all those French dudes named Ted.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My best guess would be Assassins Creed Unity - but the dates don’t exactly match up. Though that hasn’t stopped Ubisoft before.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

moosecow333 posted:

My best guess would be Assassins Creed Unity - but the dates don’t exactly match up. Though that hasn’t stopped Ubisoft before.

This line is definitely from the rapey teacher in life is strange

exquisite tea posted:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Deaths Door is a wonderful souls like, cut a sign and half the message was visible

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lol you can read the other half

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I just really enjoy people coming into this thread and going gently caress YOU TED FARO because then I also go, YEAH, gently caress HIM because I'm never getting over it.

I ought to replay HZD. It's been a while.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Everyone hates Ted Fucko

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ted made a few bad calls, but honestly who hasn't? When the chips were down, and someone had to make a decision. He did so and I think that's worthy of our respect.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimworld's Ideology dlc dropped today and if you pick cannibalism as one of your tenants your starting meals will have human meat in them :unsmigghh:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

TontoCorazon posted:

Deaths Door is a wonderful souls like, cut a sign and half the message was visible

This rules. Can it change depending on how you cut the sign? That would truly be nuts

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Ted made a few bad calls, but honestly who hasn't? When the chips were down, and someone had to make a decision. He did so and I think that's worthy of our respect.

Nice try, Ted.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

cohsae posted:

This rules. Can it change depending on how you cut the sign? That would truly be nuts

Unfortunately no, just horizontally.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Let's be honest, it was really the programmer's fault. What kind of a smooth brain would interpret the order to make it "unhackable" as "do not program any failsafe or backdoor that we can access"?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Welp here come the Ted Faro apologists

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Leal posted:

Rimworld's Ideology dlc dropped today and if you pick cannibalism as one of your tenants your starting meals will have human meat in them :unsmigghh:

Well, I know what CallMeKevin is playing tomorrow

Edit: Actually, if ..no wait if you put a backup of human knowledge on the moon.....how would people even know it was there, let alone get to it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Let's be honest, it was really the programmer's fault. What kind of a smooth brain would interpret the order to make it "unhackable" as "do not program any failsafe or backdoor that we can access"?

You're not wrong, but still, gently caress TED FARO.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not wrong but that sounds like a LOT of people at stackexchange

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TontoCorazon posted:

Welp here come the Ted Faro apologists

Ted Failbros

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve been playing Witcher 3, and one of my favorite little things is that the ingame log of quests is written by the main character’s best friend, Dandelion. Which means a lot of time he has a passive aggressive attitude towards the dumber stuff Geralt does, like if you find a side quest by stumbling into a corpse with a hint of some treasure nearby he’ll usually say “Geralt, in his seeming obsession to investigate every corpse he happens upon, found a hint for some treasure”, or if the story’s currently about him he’ll embellish the hell out of stuff.

I’m guessing there’s a half dozen posts about him though, huh. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Last Celebration posted:

I’ve been playing Witcher 3, and one of my favorite little things is that the ingame log of quests is written by the main character’s best friend, Dandelion. Which means a lot of time he has a passive aggressive attitude towards the dumber stuff Geralt does, like if you find a side quest by stumbling into a corpse with a hint of some treasure nearby he’ll usually say “Geralt, in his seeming obsession to investigate every corpse he happens upon, found a hint for some treasure”, or if the story’s currently about him he’ll embellish the hell out of stuff.

I’m guessing there’s a half dozen posts about him though, huh. :v:

This was already true in The Witcher 2 as well, including for things like Geralt's adventures in hallucinatory dick mushroom land (:nws: I guess) which also had a giant chicken living in it.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jul 21, 2021