Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If Im a tank I will sit down and watch a dps try pulling things to me and then grab aggro after they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I can at least understand pulling ahead if you're a ninja that actually uses Shadewalker, your tank is being excessively cautious for their ilvl, and the other party members are actually good at their jobs. If those things aren't all true then yeah let that dps die.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Control Volume posted:

If Im a tank I will sit down and watch a dps try pulling things to me and then grab aggro after they die

Monks and dragoons have buffs to maintain.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If I've got a Foul in my pocket and the timer is about to roll over again I'm gonna go ahead and hit it, and if the tank chooses to stand and watch as some sort of power play then they'll answer for it when their heart is weighed against a feather.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If DPS are pulling ahead of you you are probably going too slow.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Relax Or DIE posted:

If I've got a Foul in my pocket and the timer is about to roll over again I'm gonna go ahead and hit it, and if the tank chooses to stand and watch as some sort of power play then they'll answer for it when their heart is weighed against a feather.

One of my friends has let me die for this several times in the past. She's a bit of a primadonna tank, one of those "my job is to take less damage so I'm never leaving shield oath" types, but it's fine because I regularly tear aggro away from her and it makes my heart sing every time it happens.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

Did he also name the catgirl M'something so he can meet Mommy and Daddy once he gets to 4.0?

That's the one thing they didn't do.

Brainamp posted:

Besides being a highlander. :v:

They look close enough!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

Hitting level 20, pretty set on subbing. Some more new player questions for you guys, since you've been so accommodating about answering them so far:

What's up with Leves? Do you just do them all when you unlock an area with them, or save them for maybe levelling other jobs?

Other jobs. Do you roll alts when you want to make another class, or do you just unlock the job for your main and level it up?

Leves are repeatable. There's one in South Shroud called Adamantoise Tears that people use to powerlevel jobs through the lower 30s because the goal is to collect items, so it's faster than actually fighting them. Now that Grand Company squadrons are a thing I prefer to run the level 31 dungeon with my soldiers instead.

You get to do everything on one character. Fun fact, if you level Dragoon to 50 before you reach the first expansion the NPCs in its cutscenes will mention the events of the questline now and again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm finally getting close-ish to the end of the 2.X ARR content, which I have to finish before I can switch classes to Astrologian. I just finished some quest where an Immortal Flames person was revealed to be a traitor and that Crystal Brave dude (the one related to Immortal Flames guy) lectured her about how the poor shouldn't be mad at the rich and should pull themselves up by their bootstraps :911:.

I also did Sastasha as the day's random dungeon, and the tank literally did not know how to play MMOs at all; we had to teach them about the concept of aggro, and most of the dungeon consisted of the healer, me, and the other DPS tanking things. Said healer apparently had also played the WoW beta Back In The Day (freshman year of college in my case).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Please stop getting my hopes up for Blue Mage, I like the idea of them in XIV enough without them also being a rad rear end magitek tank as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm finally getting close-ish to the end of the 2.X ARR content, which I have to finish before I can switch classes to Astrologian. I just finished some quest where an Immortal Flames person was revealed to be a traitor and that Crystal Brave dude (the one related to Immortal Flames guy) lectured her about how the poor shouldn't be mad at the rich and should pull themselves up by their bootstraps :911:.

Ilberd is certainly a character.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ilberd is certainly a character.

I have this sudden urge to cook some sloppy joes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

I also did Sastasha as the day's random dungeon, and the tank literally did not know how to play MMOs at all; we had to teach them about the concept of aggro, and most of the dungeon consisted of the healer, me, and the other DPS tanking things. Said healer apparently had also played the WoW beta Back In The Day (freshman year of college in my case).

:allears:

I think I had a straight up bot tank in Sastasha a week ago. It's kind of fun running the old dungeons with people who know what they're doing because there's like 3 of you jumping up and down at a gate while the other person pulls the lever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

ACT for damage parsing so you can be proud about about how much DPS you're doing and complain about how the other healer is doing no DPS at all. :black101:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

One of my friends has let me die for this several times in the past. She's a bit of a primadonna tank, one of those "my job is to take less damage so I'm never leaving shield oath" types, but it's fine because I regularly tear aggro away from her and it makes my heart sing every time it happens.

Your friend is bad at the game, sorry :shobon:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

Monks and dragoons have buffs to maintain.

Relax Or DIE posted:

WrightOfWay posted:

If DPS are pulling ahead of you you are probably going too slow.

Found the bad dps

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Your friend is bad at the game, sorry :shobon:

Yeah. "Never leaves tank stance" and "DPS ripping aggro" should never be a possible combination, beyond all the other problems that have been brought up.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

A dps should never be able to steal aggro from a good tank in tank stance. Unless they like start the fight blowing everything they can while the tank is running up.

What is more likely is that a bad dps doesn't use diversion or refresh letting the tank get a comfortable aggro lead so the tank can dps more and the tank dpses too hard and doesn't compensate by throwing in some threat moves.

Tank gcds should be used for dps and only for threat as needed. Diversion helps maximize this.

Your friend is bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I do, every once in a while, brutally rip hate off a tank despite using Diversion on cooldown. Nearly every time this is because the tank was in no stance or dps stance and made no effort to throw in enmity combos.

If I were to walk into O1N with a tank that barely meets ilvl req and I do my full opener in current BIS gear I could understand them having a hard time holding hate even when doing things right. Outside of that edge case no tank in full time tank stance should ever be losing agro unless they are real, real bad or the dps is deliberately failing to de-agro.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Everyone posted:

Your friend is bad.

We're aware, but we still love her despite her flaws. The aggro problems started back when I swapped to BLM (I was a tank main prior to that, so we didn't run dungeons together much) and was still forgetting to use my threat dumps properly. It was more of a funny thing back then than truly annoying or anything, and totally my fault.

Now that I'm a bit better at my job and have plenty of ethers to do the good old "4x Flare -> Foul" hellcombo, every pull that Diversion isn't available for is terrifying. Hell's Lid was super fun for this, because I'd unload on the last pull and suddenly I get slapped by two tatsunokos, a pair of pepsi hands and their pepsi man. Pop goes the wizard. Boss fights normally go fine since there's only one thing to smack and I can pop Lucid if I need to.

Worth mentioning this is the same person that, when healing me, just left me to die to an expired Living Dead on a trash pull. When questioned, I was told that she "didn't have benediction up", and thus it wasn't worth trying to save me. :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Now you know which of your friends *not* to call when you're in a jam.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tbh "welp guess you're dead smoke break time" when Living Dead is ticking down after a trash pull is kind of funny.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Tbh "welp guess you're dead smoke break time" when Living Dead is ticking down after a trash pull is kind of funny.

During. The party wiped. :negative:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

We're aware, but we still love her despite her flaws.

Having fun with just your friends and all is fine, but you talking about gleefully pulling from a bad tank is like me bragging about stealing my child's candy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

During. The party wiped. :negative:

This is also funny if it happens exactly once (or to somebody else :classiclol:)

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
A good dps can pull aggro off a generally competent tank in tank stance if there's a big enough gear disparity. With machinist a good wildfire in a dungeon is a bit of a crap shoot for me. And if I suspect that's going to happen I should probably just use refresh/tactician anyway. But where's the fun in that?

But yeah, that's an edge case.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Found the bad dps

found the bad tank

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Remember that the defining, number one trait of a bad player in DF isn't "does rotation incorrectly", or "doesn't know mechanics", it's "doesn't hit their loving keys on gcd".

I can easily imagine pulling from a bad pubbie tank in tank stance (even with emnity cooldowns on my end) because they're waiting literal seconds between every action they take.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

found the bad tank

:hai:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a dragoon I don't pull ahead of the tank but if I ever lose my eyes between pulls without a good reason you're a bad tank and I hate you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Control Volume posted:

Found the bad dps

have you considered pulling faster instead of complaining

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

Found the bad dps

Hahaha, no friend.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One of the best ways to get better at tanking is to level up some DPS classes to see how other people tank.

Most people wont give critisism since recipients always lose their minds over it. So the best way to learn is to watch other people.

You might know stuff like "keep the monsters in place" but may not truly get it until you play MNK and the tank cant stop rotating them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

cheetah7071 posted:

have you considered pulling faster instead of complaining

Yes. If the dps pulls when the healer is in the boss cutscene because they're new to the dungeon, I'm going to sit there and let the dps get plastered and it will be that dps' fault.
Also if they pull because the healer said 'afk a min', same thing.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
That's fair, so please pull faster in all situations save very rude outliers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'll pull faster when i get more goads/tacticians

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Now that i think about it, in the 3 years i've been playing this game, i can still count the amount of TP restores i've received as a tank in 4 man content on two hands

edit: in random groups, obvs

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'd give tanks more goads if I got any in the first place.

Or if I played my other dps classes more than SAM/RDM.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Regrettably I've stopped even putting goad on my bars because people actually use their tp so rarely in rando groups.

I guess once they give us 10 cross class actions I'll be able to reward the rare few good people with the power of more stabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
When I heard that news, I immediately went through several phases of "Oh cool! Oh wait. ....oh poo poo." because of all the buttons that MCH has.

And they're all GOOD buttons, too, so now I gotta look for some new places to stash extra hotkeys. At least the other jobs there are at least one or two dogs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 19, 2018