Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WickedHate posted:

I...think I'll just get the SBX.

He's serious, though. Building your own PC is actually pretty easy these days. The first time is always intimidating: you'll worry a lot about accidentally breaking a piece of your thousand-dollar investment, and you gotta play around in the BIOS a little bit, but there are very hand-holdy walkthroughs online for setting all that up. After that, though, you already know how to choose modern (and reasonably-priced) parts and you know how to put one together fairly quickly. I'm not gonna say you can do it blindfolded and you'll always worry about your hardware a certain amount, but I built my first in 2011 and I've since become comfortable enough to build setups for my buddies without worrying too much that I'm gonna ruin equipment that doesn't even belong to me.

It sounds herculean, but in reality, this is 2015. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to build (or replace parts in) a computer as readily as you can do everyday maintenance on home appliances and plumbing and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I heard that the Alienware Steam Machine is actually a pretty good deal for $475 considering the parts and the form factor. But you probably shouldn't buy a dual core PC with only four gigs of RAM if you're going to play games past 2013.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you want to make your own PC but don't like reading up on the compatibility of different parts just use Logical Increments. Then you can put the thing together like you're assembling a lego set and be and feel smarter for it. Don't buy a Steambox for no reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 5, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You probably have an experienced friend who will help you build a computer in exchange for pizza, beer and/or oral sex. If you're willing to deal with not being able to send the entire machine back to the store with a post-it reading "fix me" on the side, building a PC is cheap and easy. And it sets you up for incremental upgrades later.

If the repair and warranty thing is a deal-breaker, that's fine. Hunting down the causes of a problem, tearing out the offending part, and getting it RMAed can be a giant pain in the rear end. Just be aware that you're paying a lot to avoid that.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 5, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

He's serious, though. Building your own PC is actually pretty easy these days.
Think about the people you see in public games on the internet. Think about them attempting to build a computer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thanks for this! Had SRHD on my wishlist for a while

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The White Dragon posted:

He's serious, though. Building your own PC is actually pretty easy these days. The first time is always intimidating: you'll worry a lot about accidentally breaking a piece of your thousand-dollar investment, and you gotta play around in the BIOS a little bit, but there are very hand-holdy walkthroughs online for setting all that up. After that, though, you already know how to choose modern (and reasonably-priced) parts and you know how to put one together fairly quickly. I'm not gonna say you can do it blindfolded and you'll always worry about your hardware a certain amount, but I built my first in 2011 and I've since become comfortable enough to build setups for my buddies without worrying too much that I'm gonna ruin equipment that doesn't even belong to me.

It sounds herculean, but in reality, this is 2015. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to build (or replace parts in) a computer as readily as you can do everyday maintenance on home appliances and plumbing and poo poo.

I've been building machines for about a decade now and i still get anxious when hitting that power button for the first time. It's just something that comes with the territory of heavy investment, but the thing is, they've always worked every time.

All you need is advice on which parts to get and then to follow the instructions that come with the components. We've got a subforum here dedicated to parts advice which has never steered me wrong and the instructions for components are written in a fairly simply to understand way.

Get a PC buddy to help you with your first build and then just take it from there. Every machine is generally built in exactly the same way so once you've built one you can build them all.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
i've never seen a prefab pc that wasnt the customer getting bent over and assfucked and those steam machines are no exception. i dont understand it. they know im using a pc to look at their product, they list the loving specs, they know googling that poo poo takes me like 3 clicks and somehow they think the 'service' of assembly is worth hundreds of dollars and locking myself into hardware thats outdated now, 8 months before they can even sell it to me.

:goonsay:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Male Man posted:

You probably have an experienced friend who will help you build a computer in exchange for pizza, beer and/or oral sex. If you're willing to deal with not being able to send the entire machine back to the store with a post-it reading "fix me" on the side, building a PC is cheap and easy. And it sets you up for incremental upgrades later.

If the repair and warranty thing is a deal-breaker, that's fine. Hunting down the causes of a problem, tearing out the offending part, and getting it RMAed can be a giant pain in the rear end. Just be aware that you're paying a lot to avoid that.

I would pay $200 not to felate a goon honestly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sinking Ship posted:

i've never seen a prefab pc that wasnt the customer getting bent over and assfucked and those steam machines are no exception. i dont understand it. they know im using a pc to look at their product, they list the loving specs, they know googling that poo poo takes me like 3 clicks and somehow they think the 'service' of assembly is worth hundreds of dollars and locking myself into hardware thats outdated now, 8 months before they can even sell it to me.

You're basically paying for the convenience and the brand. There is a definitely-not-small number of people who don't care about the specifics of the inside of their computer and whether they're getting a legitimate deal on it or not. Unfortunately those people allow stuff like Alienware PCs and Steamboxes to have a market to sell to. Valve basically made Steam into a game console with the Steambox and while that is brilliant, it also gives them free reign to mark up the price as they wish because it's, again, the price of convenience.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Male Man posted:

You probably have an experienced friend who will help you build a computer in exchange for pizza, beer and/or oral sex.

I can't even afford pizza or beer most days. I'm just glad this is coming out near Christmas.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

:goonsay:

The hardware in a PS4 or Xbox 1 is ridiculously overpriced too. These machines are not meant for people who have been picking their own custom parts for 10 years.

As for construction I'm fairly comfortable putting together a PC and the last two I've bought I still paid someone $50 to build it for me because :effort:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe my family is living in the stone age :ohdear:

Get your poo poo together The White Dragon. :argh:

For reals though I've wanted a cheap PC to put in my living room and if the SteamLink thing works then sign me up.

Also building PCs is easy. The one I'm using now is the first one I'd built in forever, and the only one I've built by myself. I had a few anxious spots of "is this the right amount of force to seat this thing?" and "I hope this is the right spot for this cable" but it's pretty simple. I could be wrong but I think all the cables are keyed a way now that it's near impossible to put them in the wrong spot and all the components are the same way.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Weekly

$1
The Bridge
Closure
Dominique Pamplemousse

BTA
NaissanceE
Betrayer
Oquonie

$10
Neverending Nightmares

Closure's a pretty good puzzle game. Betrayer's alright. I haven't heard great things about Dominique, apparently the singing in it is terrible.
Is Neverending Nightmares at all decent? It doesn't look that impressive from the trailer.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kibayasu posted:

The hardware in a PS4 or Xbox 1 is ridiculously overpriced too.
the ps4 isnt terrible actually. when it launched you couldnt build a comparable pc for cheaper

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

the ps4 isnt terrible actually. when it launched you couldnt build a comparable pc for cheaper

Two days later though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Paracelsus posted:

Is Neverending Nightmares at all decent? It doesn't look that impressive from the trailer.

It has a great art style and a nice atmosphere going for it, with a couple of moments that made me want to cringe or scream.

There's a stealth section near the end (unless it's exclusive to a path, oh right - the game has multiple branches) that was really annoying, and I eventually got frustrated at how the wheezy slow rear end protagonist runs out of breath quickly.

CJacobs posted:

If you want to make your own PC but don't like reading up on the compatibility of different parts just use Logical Increments. Then you can put the thing together like you're assembling a lego set and be and feel smarter for it. Don't buy a Steambox for no reason.

Yeah, looking at it here the lowest spec of the Alienware SM, it seems similar to the "modest build" here for $411, except the Alienware has a better CPU and a really nice console style case. If the price:power ratio scales this way up to the other three builds then that's not a bad value.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 5, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

WickedHate posted:

If you can use a screwdriver and also tie your own shoes, you can put a PC together.

Can you use a screwdriver, and also tie your own shoes?

Depending on the case you get, you might not even need the screwdriver. Check the parts thread in the SH/SC subforum here on SA to learn what parts to buy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cathair posted:

If you can use a screwdriver and also tie your own shoes, you can put a PC together.

Can you use a screwdriver, and also tie your own shoes?

Maybe, I haven't tried much, and no.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I assembled my PC for the first time a year ago and it was fairly easy. Just make sure the fan on your CPU works immediately (or else it'll literally melt) and that you don't build up static while touching electronic components on hardware by making sure you are electrically grounded, I bought an anti-static wrist strap just to be sure. As far as I know those are the only two mistakes you can make that could potentially wreck hardware.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just dread building a pc and then it not working and having to figure out that ram dimm slot 2 is bad and replace the motherboard and start all over

the chance of that happening is small but it keeps me awake at night goons

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any of the other games worth looking at? Blitzkrieg 1 looks like it might be a decent grog-lite RTS?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

WickedHate posted:

If you post your requirements (budget, desired FPS and monitor size) in the PC part picking thread people will spit out a list of components that will be definitely better than any ready-made PC. Also a while ago there was a guy like you who insisted on buying a prefab and people offered to build it for him and ship it for less than he wanted to pay for the original rip-off.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lordfrikk posted:

Also a while ago there was a guy like you who insisted on buying a prefab and people offered to build it for him and ship it for less than he wanted to pay for the original rip-off.

Okay, now that does sound a lot easier.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome! posted:

The thing that keeps me up at night is good video games

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Closure: TN4M???-HEC33-4KF6H

??? = V

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

DannyTanner posted:

Closure: TN4M???-HEC33-4KF6H

??? = V

Thank you!

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any of the other games worth looking at? Blitzkrieg 1 looks like it might be a decent grog-lite RTS?

I played Blitzkrieg back in like 2007 and had a lot of fun with it, though it did have some technical flaws and pathing issues. It's basically as you describe--a grog-lite RTS that's sort of a medium on the scale from Company of Heroes (game-y) to, say, Combat Mission (super-realistic). There's no base building, unit research, etc., just tactics, maneuver and artillery, which is godlike as it should be. There are campaigns for the Germans, Russians and Americans and I believe they all cover different periods of the war with period-accurate units for each. Not much in the way of story, though--you're basically playing a Greatest Hits of WWII anthology.

The coolest thing I remember from it was just how much you could gently caress up the battlefield--at the end of a fight, especially an urban battle, the map will just be a smoking moonscape full of craters and wreckage and dead infantry sprites. Having gotten it again in the bundle I'm really curious to see how it holds up and how the sequel is.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kin posted:

I've been building machines for about a decade now and i still get anxious when hitting that power button for the first time. It's just something that comes with the territory of heavy investment, but the thing is, they've always worked every time.

I feel that.
The last one I put together was a real horror since I flipped the button and… nothing.

It was 6 seconds of sheer panic until I realised the power cord wasn't properly seated. And then it worked. :ohdear:

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Anyone feel like playing Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery? Go *og wild! 94A*C-*MZGK-F86M4

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've been feeling the urge to play a Call of Duty game on PC for a while. I really had a lot of fun with Black Ops 1 and have been trying to feel out just what is going on with CoD on PC lately. This is what I know so far:

• Black Ops 1 is pretty much dead in terms of player numbers.
  • Black Ops 2 is in a similar state, maybe a bit livelier
  • Advanced Warfare stills seems hosed with regards to no dedicated servers which leads to peer to peer-based networking for games.

Should I just give up on PC CoD? Are the points I mentioned above accurate? Also I'm in Australia if that helps.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

monny posted:

Anyone feel like playing Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery? Go *og wild!

I remember wanting to try this and then I forgot about it. Thanks a bunch! The soundtrack alone seems pretty killer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

neurotech posted:

I've been feeling the urge to play a Call of Duty game on PC for a while. I really had a lot of fun with Black Ops 1 and have been trying to feel out just what is going on with CoD on PC lately. This is what I know so far:

• Black Ops 1 is pretty much dead in terms of player numbers.
  • Black Ops 2 is in a similar state, maybe a bit livelier
  • Advanced Warfare stills seems hosed with regards to no dedicated servers which leads to peer to peer-based networking for games.

Should I just give up on PC CoD? Are the points I mentioned above accurate? Also I'm in Australia if that helps.

That's pretty much true, sadly. I really like AW but there's no real reason to play on PC, as the community didn't last.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

advanced warfare is already dead? that was fast

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I remember wanting to try this and then I forgot about it. Thanks a bunch! The soundtrack alone seems pretty killer.

Can someone explain to me how to move in Sword & Sorcery? I can move the camera, and I recall moving a mouse cursor? But I sure as poo poo couldn't move my dude, and I couldn't rebind keys or anything. A dud, but at least I got it in a Humble Bundle.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tippis posted:

I feel that.
The last one I put together was a real horror since I flipped the button and… nothing.

It was 6 seconds of sheer panic until I realised the power cord wasn't properly seated. And then it worked. :ohdear:

Same, I get that feeling but this last time it didn't boot up and took me like 2 hours to figure out. I had some of those little power button cables messed up and I think I had one of the main mobo cables not plugged in or something odd like that. Worked fine after though.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

advanced warfare is already dead? that was fast

It's been around that level from launch day. The only time I saw it go higher was during the free weekend, but even then there were more people playing Besiege.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

Logical Increments is garbage and the PC Building thread in SH/SC will tell you why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Isnt the selling point of some of the steam machines that you can just swap out the graphics cards/RAM/cpu as you need to upgrade?

• Locked thread