Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

According to Siliconera there's a listing on Steam for Ys: The Oath in Felghana under XSeed's name:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/06/xseed-and-ys-the-oath-in-felghana-pop-up-in-steam-database/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There's a new patch out for Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions that removes the animation slowdown that plagued the PSP port. There's also an optional patch that fixes the aspect ratio.

You need a PSP with CFW. Grab the latest LivePatch (0.1.3 at the time of this post) and wotl-patches.zip. Follow the instructions in the readme.

Patch downloads: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.0
Patch info: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8449.0

Video Instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPM

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's the closest thing to Disgaea that runs natively on a PC?

Specifically, are there any PC SRPGs at all with the ability to create an arbitrary number of units and send them on an arbitrary number of randomized missions, that aren't X-Com?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gyoru posted:

There's a new patch out for Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions that removes the animation slowdown that plagued the PSP port. There's also an optional patch that fixes the aspect ratio.

You need a PSP with CFW. Grab the latest LivePatch (0.1.3 at the time of this post) and wotl-patches.zip. Follow the instructions in the readme.

Video Instructions:

Dear god YES. That animation slowdown was possibly the worst thing. Thanks for the information.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Gyoru posted:

Video Instructions:

Now if someone would translate the Sound Novels on this version it would pretty much be the definitive version of FFT wouldn't it?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Looking for a my next PS3 RPG. I've played through Skyrim, the Fallouts, FFXIII, Demons Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and I'm working through Resonance of Fate right now. I'm planning to pick up FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls eventually when they drop in price, but in the meantime are there any really good RPGs I've missed out on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

Looking for a my next PS3 RPG. I've played through Skyrim, the Fallouts, FFXIII, Demons Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and I'm working through Resonance of Fate right now. I'm planning to pick up FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls eventually when they drop in price, but in the meantime are there any really good RPGs I've missed out on?

Tales of Graces f comes out this week.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Honey Badger posted:

Disgaea 3 and 4? Although if you have/are getting a Vita you might want to pick up Disgaea 3 there instead; a port with all the DLC is coming out for the Vita in a month or so.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Honey Badger posted:

I'm planning to pick up FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls eventually when they drop in price, but in the meantime are there any really good RPGs I've missed out on?

The two already mentioned and Atelier Totori.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

Tales of Graces f comes out this week.

I'm so excited for this. I haven't played a Tales game on a non-portable system ever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Okay I'm borrowing Lost Odyssey from a friend, will it have a high encounter rate and/or get grindy later on? I have very little tolerance for that kind of stuff nowadays.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Okay I'm borrowing Lost Odyssey from a friend, will it have a high encounter rate and/or get grindy later on? I have very little tolerance for that kind of stuff nowadays.

The encounter rate is quite low, but the loading times are not. Strongly recommend you install it to your hard drive.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lakbay posted:

It's about as un-grindy as JRPGs get.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Except at the beginning. Something like the first 'real' boss is pretty much the hardest boss in the entire game. Some people grind it out, but there's a particular tactic that will get you by barely if you didn't grind at least a little (15 minutes tops? I can't quite recall)

Anyway, just be aware that after that fight it's pretty much downhill as far as difficulty goes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lakbay posted:

The only really frustrating thing about the random encounters I experienced was that you can't turn them off. Sometimes there are treasure chests in dungeons that you can't access until a later visit, and it sucks when you get pulled into random battles when the enemies are 20 levels below you. Normally playing the game though, the random encounter rate isn't that bad.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the answers everyone! I'll look at the strategy for the first real boss since I'm definitely not grinding in the slightest.

Bongo Bill posted:

Strongly recommend you install it to your hard drive.

I installed disc 1 to my hard drive. I only have a 12 gig so when I hit the other discs can I delete the previous disc off my hard drive or will it gently caress up my saves?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Amppelix posted:

Have you played Xenoblade? If not do so, because that's the best loving game in years for exploring a beautiful world packed with things to find, (some of) the places you visit are absolutely humongous. For example: every area in the game has a few secret spots (the game designates them as such and gives you a little ding) that are seriously hard to find and the payoff is usually just some exp and maybe a rare item, but by god is it satisfying to stumble upon one and most of them are really impressive spots like a cave behind the waterfall, an outcropping over a sheer cliff, or a quiet little spring hidden among the trees. That doesn't sound impressive but the whole thing somehow comes together to make it so.

I don't know if I managed to sell you on this since it's really hard to convey feelings over words but you could also watch this for an example of the environments (the good part is about six minutes in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLyqhQDqwc
Almost everything you see, you can get to.

I own Xenoblade, it's a great game so far and it's a great example of pretty much every game idea ever. Great game, wish there were more things like it.

Speaking of which, I'm playing Twilight Princess at the moment, why aren't there more knock-offs of the 3D zelda games? It's a really succesful formula

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

The only really frustrating thing about the random encounters I experienced was that you can't turn them off. Sometimes there are treasure chests in dungeons that you can't access until a later visit, and it sucks when you get pulled into random battles when the enemies are 20 levels below you. Normally playing the game though, the random encounter rate isn't that bad.

The upside to this of course being that if you don't grind SP on your items or party members for your Immortals, just backtrack with them and one Mortal and take that opportunity to learn their skills and pick up the ones from items you haven't gotten yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I installed disc 1 to my hard drive. I only have a 12 gig so when I hit the other discs can I delete the previous disc off my hard drive or will it gently caress up my saves?

You only need to install the disc you're currently playing.

Polite Tim posted:

Speaking of which, I'm playing Twilight Princess at the moment, why aren't there more knock-offs of the 3D zelda games? It's a really succesful formula

Well, they are making Darksiders 2. And elements of 3D Zelda games have been sneaking into other games for as long as there've been 3D Zelda games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As for why more people don't do it, that is because it takes a lot of time and effort to make a Zelda game. Darksiders was in production for years and years before it actually came out, let alone the real Zelda games. It's faster and cheaper to make something else.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The 3D Zelda formula is a really successful formula because of the franchise name, not because of the gameplay. Twilight Princess wasn't fun at all, OoT doesn't hold up very well, and all of the others have serious gameplay issues that people wouldn't tolerate outside of the Zelda brand.

But yeah, elements of them are everywhere because they did have some great innovations for 3D action.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ok so I have been playing Romancing Saga Minstrel Song and its a lot of fun, but there is something driving me insane. I am playing as Claudia and I had to drop 2 party members for a quest, Barbara and Gray. Afterwards I was able to find Gray no problem but Claudia is nowhere to be found, ive checked the locations in a faq and searched a dozen times but still nothing. Is there some trick to re-recruitment im missing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

niggapolis posted:

Is there some trick to re-recruitment im missing?

I think Barbara might disappear after a certain background event that you probably have no idea exists. You see her a lot in the beginning of the game, but once you start getting your hidden event score up by getting into battles, poof! And if it doesn't make sense to you, well, I know the event but I've never seen it in action myself, so don't feel bad.

Just never talk to Neidhart in the Crystal City, you'll be happy you didn't.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

niggapolis posted:

Ok so I have been playing Romancing Saga Minstrel Song and its a lot of fun, but there is something driving me insane. I am playing as Claudia and I had to drop 2 party members for a quest, Barbara and Gray. Afterwards I was able to find Gray no problem but Claudia is nowhere to be found, ive checked the locations in a faq and searched a dozen times but still nothing. Is there some trick to re-recruitment im missing?

As far as I can remember, when dropping a party member and getting them back it does take a certain amount of in-game time, maybe hours, I don't remember, and even then it can be very random and you can get really unlucky about finding someone you want to recruit. So if you haven't done a lot since that quest you can go do another quest and then try again, and then just keep trying! Randomosity is really fun to me but it can be horribly frustrating some times!!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Papercut posted:

The 3D Zelda formula is a really successful formula because of the franchise name, not because of the gameplay. Twilight Princess wasn't fun at all, OoT doesn't hold up very well, and all of the others have serious gameplay issues that people wouldn't tolerate outside of the Zelda brand.

But yeah, elements of them are everywhere because they did have some great innovations for 3D action.

What is the Zelda formula? It's a 3d action game, there are tons of them out there (God of War, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc...), and they all follow the same general style of progression.

Unless the original poster is after the Zelda theme, in which case that is what copyright law is legitimately protecting, so...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

nessin posted:

What is the Zelda formula? It's a 3d action game, there are tons of them out there (God of War, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc...), and they all follow the same general style of progression.

Unless the original poster is after the Zelda theme, in which case that is what copyright law is legitimately protecting, so...

The simplest form of the Zelda formula is: repeated dungeons or comparably discrete areas in which you obtain a new verb which creates substantial new options in previously-accessible areas.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The simplest form of the Zelda formula is: repeated dungeons or comparably discrete areas in which you obtain a new verb which creates substantial new options in previously-accessible areas.

Yeah, this exactly. I haven't played GoW but I don't think Bayonetta or DMC fit this formula. Something like Dark Souls is much closer, but still not there because it's not abilities that are opening access to new areas. The Zelda formula is actually really difficult to pull off, because making both the abilities and the ability-based puzzles interesting isn't easy at all. Zelda has been able to ignore the 2nd half of that requirement because the games are charming and have a loyal following.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My thoughts on Lost Odyssey so far: Jansen should've been the main character, the villain is so mustache-twisting evil that I can't stop laughing, and do I have to read the memory stuff?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lakbay posted:

My thoughts on Lost Odyssey so far: Jansen should've been the main character, the villain is so mustache-twisting evil that I can't stop laughing, and do I have to read the memory stuff?

The memory stuff is by far the best part of the game, so you'll definitely be missing out if you skip it. It's been years since I played it, but I remember thinking it was some of the best writing I'd seen in a game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Jansen is the best character ever, the villain's mustache-twirlingness should clue you in to the sort of story you're getting yourself into, and while you don't have to read the memory vignettes (there are a few that provide minor foreshadowing), you really should, because they're pretty great.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

While I was annoyed when Jansen was first introduced, pretty soon I was like "whoa this guy is an actual likable character that isn't just comic relief? He actually contributes to his team! Amazing!"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Lakbay posted:

I had trouble with the first part of that game, as he literally makes no loving sense. That whole scene with the council makes me wonder how the nation functions when it's ruled by a bunch of brain-dead idiots who swallow crap like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If at any point you find yourself disliking Lost Odyssey's story, just imagine that instead of voice-acted human-looking models, it's being told in text boxes by 24-pixel-tall sprites with giant heads.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Bugginess aside, is Neverwinter Nights 2 worth playing? I'm mostly interested in whether or not the story/writing is any good and whether the gameplay is at worst tolerable

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Bugginess aside, is Neverwinter Nights 2 worth playing? I'm mostly interested in whether or not the story/writing is any good and whether the gameplay is at worst tolerable

The basic campaign is servicable at the very least. It's buggy at times and has a lot of fluff in there, but the levels of 'find the macguffin' are never as bad as Neverwinter Nights' base campaign, and there are some legitimately interesting setpieces.

Mask of the Betrayer, the expansion that follows on from the main game but that can pretty much be done on its own, is absolutely excellent and very much worth playing.

Storm of Zehir I kind of enjoyed, but I know a lot of people didn't. It's a little lacking in focus and none of the trading aspects really work with the rest of the game, but for the ability to hoover up large chunks of the Sword Coast and see what happened in the aftermath of the base game I kind of liked it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

the story/writing is any good

Mask of the Betrayer (the first expansion) has fantastic writing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also MotB is epic level stuff so you have a ton of spells and junk to play with, which can be a bit unwieldly if you are new to the system. Melee classes are boring as usual so they compensate for this by giving you the greatest character ever to be your melee/tank companion.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Has anyone played Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on PSP? Is it any good? It's pretty cheap on PSN so I was thinking of getting it, but I never played the original or any other game in the series so I'm still thinking about it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a lot of divisiveness about it, but it's probably the best version of the game if you're lacking nostalgia for the original. It's pretty much a proto-RPG in terms of story, but it's very charming with good music and a fun battle system. It also looks great, as the PSP version was a total overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lakbay posted:

Mask of the Betrayer (the first expansion) has fantastic writing.

Yeah I've heard great things about that, but I meant the OC