Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

he lost his life when he was almost dead anyway

meanwhile all his enemies were dead, he never went to jail, and he set it up so some of his money would go to his family

and he died a legend of sorts which is what he always really wanted

what? his family lost everything, the only person who might get any of the money is jesse, and that's because nobody still living knows he exists and assumes that walt left him some of the money somehow

and what he always really wanted was to be successful without the charity of others, what he got was everything he ever worked for taken or destroyed by the nazis and/or the feds and a complete lack of respect for any of his accomplishments by anybody because it was obvious he was a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lysidas posted:

there actually can be some relatively :coal: math involved in figuring out the best way to run a business or divide up resources

do mba programs teach linear programming?

I doubt it but I'm learning how to do that already and it is pretty cool

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

i would be okay with an mba

a macbook air !!!!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lysidas posted:

there actually can be some relatively :coal: math involved in figuring out the best way to run a business or divide up resources

imagine steve balmer doing the simplex method for project management resources and consider how likely that would be

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

what? his family lost everything, the only person who might get any of the money is jesse, and that's because nobody still living knows he exists and assumes that walt left him some of the money somehow

and what he always really wanted was to be successful without the charity of others, what he got was everything he ever worked for taken or destroyed by the nazis and/or the feds and a complete lack of respect for any of his accomplishments by anybody because it was obvious he was a monster

you and i must have watched a different final episode, did you miss the part where he sets up his ex and her husband to give walt jr his leftover barrel of money under threat of death by hitman? or where he admits to his wife that he did it all to feel powerful? or the bit where he kills all of his enemies?

he doesn't get everything he ever wanted, agreed. but he gets far more than he ever deserved.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilroy posted:

I'd rather spend a winter in a remote secluded cabin with Larry Ellison than spend one day at Disneyland with Steve Ballmer

same but Harlan Ellison

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

imagine steve balmer doing the simplex method for project management resources and consider how likely that would be

"[Ballmer is] also a numbers whiz, scoring a perfect 800 on the SAT math section."

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

you and i must have watched a different final episode, did you miss the part where he sets up his ex and her husband to give walt jr his leftover barrel of money under threat of death by hitman? or where he admits to his wife that he did it all to feel powerful? or the bit where he kills all of his enemies?

he doesn't get everything he ever wanted, agreed. but he gets far more than he ever deserved.

completely forgot about the fake sniper and his ex, but his confession to skyler was him coming to terms with the fact that he was a terrible person and everything he'd done was for selfish delusions rather than any altruistic impulse towards his family and he wasn't triumphing over his enemies, he was barely sort of redeeming himself by going back to rescue the one person he completely hosed over the most

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

completely forgot about the fake sniper and his ex, but his confession to skyler was him coming to terms with the fact that he was a terrible person and everything he'd done was for selfish delusions rather than any altruistic impulse towards his family and he wasn't triumphing over his enemies, he was barely sort of redeeming himself by going back to rescue the one person he completely hosed over the most

fair enough i still think he "won" in that the final episode offers him a redemption of sorts

e: i'm going to stop posting about this now because i'm sad how it ended and i'll never trust you again vince gilligan

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

"[Ballmer is] also a numbers whiz, scoring a perfect 800 on the SAT math section."

ive never understood why this is special

like congrats you can do remedial mathematics, why dont you go have a chat with the people who do international math comps in high school

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FamDav posted:

like congrats you can do remedial mathematics, why dont you go have a chat with the people who do international math comps in high school

it's funny because he has a magna cum laude degree in math+economics from harvard, but writers will put his sat score in articles because nothing after high school matters

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's funny because he has a magna cum laude degree in math+economics from harvard, but writers will put his sat score in articles because nothing after high school matters

because a perfect SAT math is impressive to the kind of people who read articles about ballmer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
just because you know math doesn't mean you know everything

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i am also currently writing a business book with two mbas and hoo boy

i am struggling to reach the wordcount on every chapter because the ideas are really simple. then they come through and expand everything with jargon.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

just because you know math doesn't mean you know everything

1 + 360 = one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
get ready for the new xbox 4pi

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get ready for the new xbox one 2

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

i wuold enjoy a day at disneyland with ballmer because even if he is insufferable you're still at disneyland

i actually think that his inappropriate commitment/excitement to everything would fit right in with the place

"hey everybody, let's go on mr. toad's wild ride and then get churros! YEAH!"

ballmer wouldn't let you go on any rides that aren't made by microsoft

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I'm using my pen-s right now

does it still have its own custom storage silo? microsoft got rid of theirs recently (misandry)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

just because you know math doesn't mean you know anything

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

SIGSEGV posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's funny because he has a magna cum laude degree in math+economics from harvard

i actually can picture that as something that he would have likely done, treating project resources allocation as a purely mechanical process in terms of "put money and time in, get profit out" sounds like ballmer management

i was thinking after posting that using something cut-and-dry like linear programming for resource allocation only works when you know exactly what you'll get out of one unit of input

doesn't help when you can invest billions of dollars and get nothing out of it like windows 8 and xbone

come to think of it stack ranking also has a kind of brutal economic efficiency to it, that also doesn't work because of negative effects that don't show up on paper (like people not liking to have to stab each other in the back to get ahead when they're supposed to be working as a team, maybe)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

uncurable mlady posted:

because a perfect SAT math is impressive to the kind of people who read articles about ballmer

welp

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get ready for the new xbox 4pi

shameful admission: i enjoy the halo games because i have no taste

let's see:

cortana: halo naked lady AI -> siri knockoff
threshold: gas giant that the first halo game took place around -> codename for windows 9

maybe they'll name the next something xbox "xbox infinity" after the human ship in halo 4

"windows forerunner: halo edition"

"xbox ℵ₀"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh

windows 9 is getting announced tomorrow!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
seriously hoping that the actual name will turn out to be windows one

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

or "windows th" i guess

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graph posted:

tina fey is v pretty :sweatdrop:

she also did voice work for the medieval madness pinball table

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Lysidas posted:

hahahahahahahahaha

you think a terminal preppie is going to deal with linear programming?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Pinterest Mom posted:

or "windows th" i guess

how about "the windows"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pinterest Mom posted:

or "windows th" i guess
hahaha

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
I really hope they follow through with their new naming scheme. it should be windows 8.2. the new xbox should be xbox one.1 too

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

xbox one plus one HD-but-for-real-this-time-maybe

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
MBAs:

John Smith went to college for football where he excelled. He scored perfect on his football theory course final exam. He knows every play and rule by heart. In football tactics he devised several plays that his professor said were the mark of a true savant. He spent a semester course abroad interviewing various famous NFL players on their theories and tactics. His senior seminar made national news. Yes Jon Smith graduated at the top of his football class.

It was no surprise that upon graduation he was immediately drafted by the Dallas Cowboys as their new star quarter back. Despite John Smith never having actually played a day of football in his life, the coach and owner knew that with his credentials he'd be a winner.

John Smith is 5'2 and 130 lbs.

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

TerminalRaptor posted:

MBAs:

John Smith went to college for football where he excelled. He scored perfect on his football theory course final exam. He knows every play and rule by heart. In football tactics he devised several plays that his professor said were the mark of a true savant. He spent a semester course abroad interviewing various famous NFL players on their theories and tactics. His senior seminar made national news. Yes Jon Smith graduated at the top of his football class.

It was no surprise that upon graduation he was immediately drafted by the Dallas Cowboys as their new star quarter back. Despite John Smith never having actually played a day of football in his life, the coach and owner knew that with his credentials he'd be a winner.

John Smith is 5'2 and 130 lbs.

that's really sad, if only he knew he could sit in an office all day, wasting away while watching progress bars move across the screen. we need to get the message out about the glorious cj life more

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cold on a Cob posted:

you and i must have watched a different final episode, did you miss the part where he sets up his ex and her husband to give walt jr his leftover barrel of money under threat of death by hitman

that scene Owned

FamDav posted:

i think its some sort of weird targeting to other demographics that arent you

its the same reason mcdonalds uses attractive urban hipsters to sell hamburgers

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i ate a mcdonald's cheeseburger just now. about once a year i get a craving.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

graph posted:

its the same reason mcdonalds uses attractive urban hipsters to sell hamburgers
Would any attractive urban hipster be caught dead in a McDonald's though? I thought only stressed-out and overworked middle American losers actually ate hamburgers at McDonald's.

But I'm pretty out of touch so what do I know. Is McDonald's going for some kind of ironic hipster hamburger eating angle? Like PBR but with fries and shakes? That could work I guess.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
But, if they're going for that angle then actually using hipster douchebags in their ads isn't going to work though. So either they haven't figured that out, or they're up to something else.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

duTrieux. posted:

i ate a mcdonald's cheeseburger just now. about once a year i get a craving.

This is acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hadn't eaten at mcdonalds for about a year or so and decided to try it again and everything tasted like congealed salt

but then i also think chipotle isn't very good either

• Locked thread