Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kopijeger posted:

They probably won't include it, but it could be interesting if they went all in on the customs that were considered normal back then but distasteful now. Like having Alexios in a pederastic relationship with a younger boy, proper athletic nudity and Kassandra being subject to pretty awful sexism.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lmao no dude it would not be interesting

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yep, that's bait.

Also it wouldn't happen because Ubisoft already curled toes with the Origins Discovery Mode, with that one bulletin point about how schools were only meant for boys but they included girls in game because that's not how things work nowadays :nsa:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 12, 2018

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
So, in your view, depicting the less pleasant aspects of Ancient Greek culture opens up no narrative possibilities? Depicting the stuff happening is not the same as endorsing it, mind.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I don't care what happens personally, but Ubisoft is not CD Projekt Red. They make sure everyone knows how diverse their team is every time you start up their games, they're not going to push buttons like that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think it could be done but I sure as hell don't expect it to be done well by any AAA studio.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ubisoft's whole thing is creating games with signifiers of Serious Themes but never truly embracing them. After a while you understand that and just roll with it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Wildlands presented horrific events that real world cartels have been responsible for, and was criticised both for not doing it realistically enough (it will make your stomach churn to know what's gone on with them in the world), but also for getting real world politics wrapped up in the game to begin with.

The "diversity first" thing in a supposedly educational mode was pretty cringeworthy, but unless the campaign here aspires to be used in schools I don't think skipping over the iffier stuff for the sake of gameplay is a bad thing.

The witcher 3 wanted to use sex and violence to titillate, but also wanted to wag its fingers at those things. It seemed pretty inconsistent to me.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Safeword posted:

The witcher 3 wanted to use sex and violence to titillate, but also wanted to wag its fingers at those things. It seemed pretty inconsistent to me.

When did the Witcher 3 try to wag it's fingers at sex and violence? Witchers are sterile and like to screw and they have a violent life. the game felt pretty consistently ok with that to me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Also I think having a bunch of shitlords laugh at your girl character is possibly on a different level to your dude character loving a child.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Being historically accurate but also very damning in regards to practices now regarded as horrible is difficult enough to do in documentary form. Doing that without tearing up any sense of immersion and tonal consistency while also delivering a narrative and action gameplay is going to be basically impossible. The only winning move is not to play.

Athletic nudity, on the other hand, I'm all for it. Replace the dumb chariot racing with oiled up wrestlers please.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

So, in your view, depicting the less pleasant aspects of Ancient Greek culture opens up no narrative possibilities? Depicting the stuff happening is not the same as endorsing it, mind.

Depicting it and making it a part of the protagonist are also two different things.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

Being historically accurate but also very damning in regards to practices now regarded as horrible is difficult enough to do in documentary form. Doing that without tearing up any sense of immersion and tonal consistency while also delivering a narrative and action gameplay is going to be basically impossible. The only winning move is not to play.

Athletic nudity, on the other hand, I'm all for it. Replace the dumb chariot racing with oiled up Chris Redfields please.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This thread isn't making enough Zeus+Poseidon references.

Has anyone seen my spear? How can I be a spear carrier without my spear?

I have come down... from Mt. Olympus!!!

Thrown out of my home... whot did I do to deserve dis?

Eureka, I've found the best city, and the most capable ruler.

You've provoked me, you sniveling lout, prepare to cross swords with ARES!

YOU have made me your enemy, and I shall make the sea your enemy, too!

Feel the pain as I rain blows on your brain!

I could probably think of some adventures these people could go on, if this city isn't interested in finding them some work!

I AM ATHENA. Worship me, and a sacred grove will grace your city.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 12, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

My advice to you is: Get married! If you find a good wife, you'll be happy. If not, you'll become a philosopher.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

ALEXIOS: Merchant! That slave you sold me yesterday has died.
MERCHANT: Unbelievable! He never did anything like that when he was with me.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Why did they remaster Rogue but not Black Flag?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The PS4, Bone and PC releases of Black Flag already ran at higher resolutions and had all the next-gen bells and whistles missing from the PS3/360 versions, so they don't really need to be remastered unless it's like a 4K patch for PS4 Pro and BoneX.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alexios got a slave pregnant. At the birth, his father suggested that the child be killed. Alexios replied: "First murder your own children and then tell me to kill mine."

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Oh! Well that’s good. Does the original PS4 version look much better than the ps3 one? I remember it already looking pretty good for a ps3 game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's at full 1080p and runs at a consistent 30 fps on PS4. The graphical upgrade isn't exactly massive, but it's still noticeable and especially the environments (foliage in particular) and water effects are improved.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

When Alexios was told by someone, "Your beard is now coming in," he went to the rear-entrance and waited for it. Cassandra asked what he was doing. Once she heard the whole story, she said: "I'm not surprised that people say we lack common sense. How do you know that it's not coming in by the other gate?"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

These are all Ancient Greek jokes btw.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you choose the male protag, the game should have a pop up that says “goodbye, wondrous femininity”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Speaking of jokes, in the gameplay demo yesterday Kassandra had that line to the merc "if you want my head, come and take it" which is a very laconic turn of phrase (in the original Greek the expression is something more like "over my dead body.")

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alexios stood in the marketplace and announced: "I'm putting my wife up for sale, tax-free!" When people asked him why, he said: "So the authorities will impound her."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

>Includes Game

well it loving better

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Alexios stood in the marketplace and announced: "I'm putting my wife up for sale, tax-free!" When people asked him why, he said: "So the authorities will impound her."

I'm appreciating that we're treating Alexios like a goofball and you're this close to tainting my perceptions of him before the game even launches.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lunethex posted:

I'm appreciating that we're treating Alexios like a goofball and you're this close to tainting my perceptions of him before the game even launches.

Alexios checked in on the parents of a dead friend. The father was wailing: "O son, you have left me a cripple!" The mother was crying: "O son, you have taken the light from my eyes!" Later, Alexios suggested to his friends: "If he were guilty of all that, he should have been cremated while still alive."

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Lunethex posted:

>Includes Game

well it loving better

I like the Greek letter Lambda on the sail referencing the AC logo.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

These are all Ancient Greek jokes btw.

It'd be pretty funny if there was a dialogue option where your character just said laconic phrases the whole game

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

I like the Greek letter Lambda on the sail referencing the AC logo.

Are you trying to cause a resonance cascade in the Animus, you fool?

Honestly I can't wait to hear this game's music. There was a very brief moment in the E3 trailer where you heard the Odyssey arrangement of Ezio's Family, and I'm loving pumped like an ancient Greek gymnast. AssCreed games really give you the chance to bask in the glory is that is humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9GYrRaRhIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM1Y5VLEd8

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 12, 2018

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Lunethex posted:

>Includes Game

well it loving better

I carry a full spear and part of a spear!

Orv
May 4, 2011

CreedThoughts posted:

I carry a full spear and part of a spear!

It's Leonidas' spear, in case you weren't wondering if they were going to fetishize Sparta.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's also a piece of Eden.

And to be fair, pieces of Eden have been owned by bad people before, so it's entirely possible that they won't necessarily aggressively lionize Sparta and have it just be a thing they had and Leonidas used as a spear. Of course, they might also just go full 300 with it, who knows.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There was a part in the trailer that very much looked like a 300 moment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunethex posted:

There was a part in the trailer that very much looked like a 300 moment.

300 well kick is literally a combat move in the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Absolutely but there was a moment with everyone bracing shields and holding the line like it the narrow pass between an ocean and mountain.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Lunethex posted:

>Includes Game

well it loving better
Nope, only the platinum edition includes the game. Basic is just cover art and 500 Ubisoft credits for the in-game store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

My favorite move in the game so far is just flinging people's shields into the skybox. It's probably the most comedic thing so far.