Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

M.c.P posted:

Chrysalis hack:
You know that DoT everyone gets in the tear? It actually gets applied before you go in, and then gets multiplied by the 10x duration thing. If you don’t get pulled in for as long as possible, the DoT will fall off and won’t be applied while you’re inside.
Also worth mentioning is that the primary effect of that dot isn't the damage, it actually dramatically increases the damage you take. If you let it drop off you can easily take the meteors regardless of what kind of job you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been in Snowcloak where nobody got hit by Lunar Cry. I always say "as soon as you see it, hide behind the standing icicle or he will get you" and then people stand around with their thumbs up their asses, or they can't make it because apparently being anywhere near the actual fight is forbidden if you have ranged abilities.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Monathin posted:

I can't entirely enjoy Keeper anymore because back during Heavensward 50 Roulette was basically "how much do I want do Keeper of the Lake today", I swear I got it three times more than any other pull in roulette.

Funny, I call that Snowcloak roulette.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My party learned tonight that the timer keeps counting on floor 100.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

In my experience, every single person except for yourself is some shade of incompetent at Chrysalis. Every time i tank, someone else runs under meteors with me. FFS, don't catch a meteor with 2 people! The damage doesn't split!

Additionally, as far as i can remember every single time i went in as PLD (read: every single time i had a 1+ minute Hallowed Ground in meteor phase and was literally invincible for the entire duration of that phase), the other tank runs into meteor spots that i've already taken.
Every time.

I ended up getting through it, and the thing that made it possible was using the DPS limit break to kill the tear thingy. I also found out about the splitting thing; I guess not enough people were there to keep me from dying when I got under the meteor in the past (as DPS).

I'm almost to Heavensward now; just a few more main scenario quests left. Then I can finally try Astrologian.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I ended up getting through it, and the thing that made it possible was using the DPS limit break to kill the tear thingy. I also found out about the splitting thing; I guess not enough people were there to keep me from dying when I got under the meteor in the past (as DPS).

Nah man, it’s not split, just straight damage, enough to murder you two times over if you have the debuff mentioned upthread. DPS ignore meteors and focus on killing that tear asap. There’s few enough that the tanks should be able to handle it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

roflmao:

I'm gonna be surprised as heck if Ilberd isn't a traitor.

M.c.P posted:

Nah man, it’s not split, just straight damage, enough to murder you two times over if you have the debuff mentioned upthread. DPS ignore meteors and focus on killing that tear asap. There’s few enough that the tanks should be able to handle it.

Okay, this is what I originally thought but people kept saying it was split and I didn't know who to believe.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

People in this game are idiots, never listen to them.

Especially MrHappy.

This includes goons and me.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Except Ntan. Always listen to literally everything Ntan says, especially for raid strats.

Ozma dives are real.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shere posted:

My party learned tonight that the timer keeps counting on floor 100.

RIP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol man Alphinaud is the biggest fuckup ever. Almost everything that just happened is his fault.

edit: alphinaud i'm kinda starting to worry about you bro

edit2: nm he made tataru cry, are there no depths to which you won't stoop alphinaud

edit3: As an unrelated comment, I liked how immortal flames dude just cut the smug Monetarist guy in half while he was smugging it up. You're always sort of thinking "just stab the dude" in scenes like that, and he actually did it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2018

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Ytlaya posted:

lol man Alphinaud is the biggest fuckup ever. Almost everything that just happened is his fault.

Alphinaud being the worst is a key theme of FF XIV: how'd he gently caress this one up

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I love reading posts from new people playing through the MSQ.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
When people say they usually do MSQ first when leveling, are they talking about leveling multiple characters? I was under the impression that you can do everything with one character in this game and MSQ is one ein through total and not per job.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

When people say they usually do MSQ first when leveling, are they talking about leveling multiple characters? I was under the impression that you can do everything with one character in this game and MSQ is one ein through total and not per job.

They’re talking about doing new MSQ introduced in patches, I assume.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, if you're rolling multiple characters, MSQ is, and always will be, the best source of level-up XP there is, because each and every character gets to go through MSQ, right? =P

You are correct in your impressions: It is possible for a player to master all jobs and professions on a single character. And you are also correct in assuming that the MSQ is best-suited to mainlining a single job all the way to 50 and beyond.

If your chosen job turns out to not be the kind of thing you actually enjoy doing, however, there's nothing wrong with grinding up another job (on the same character) through dungeons and POTD to take over, though.

Just remember that once you hit HW content, you may swap to any of the three jobs introduced therein, though those jobs have you pick up at level 30, or alternatively, at level 50, you may jump straight to the SB jobs, which start at level 50, so it should be a seamless transition. (only 85% sure on this latter point, get verification.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 21, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah if you have SB you can switch to RDM and SAM at will once you hit 50. You'll need to do the intro quest and such of course, you don't just get handed the job stone by Kan-e-Senna because you look like you could be a rapier/swordier guy/girl/potato.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Ibblebibble posted:

People in this game are idiots, never listen to them.

Especially MrHappy.

This includes goons and me.

what's the issue with mrhappy? I keeping getting youtube recommends for him because I've watched a handful of the MTQ dungeon guides, and I'm too wary to watch a video after watching like 30s of that obnoxious catboy youtuber

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Thanks!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

pupuru posted:

what's the issue with mrhappy? I keeping getting youtube recommends for him because I've watched a handful of the MTQ dungeon guides, and I'm too wary to watch a video after watching like 30s of that obnoxious catboy youtuber

Back in the day before MTQ started putting out guides (and the early days of them both doing so) he was more concerned with getting stuff out quick than anything even approaching comprehensive. So he'd often gloss over mechanics and suggest strategies that were either outright wrong (because he didn't understand the mechanic properly yet) or tailored to the group he ran with (I still remember the phrase 'if you do decent dps you should be able to skip this' from watching a Shiva Ex video of his. It was the sole strategy he had for one mechanic.)

AFAIK he's gotten a bit better about it nowadays but he's kind of had to; MTQ's videos blew his out of the water and then skeet shot them to pieces with how comprehensive and easy to understand they are.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 21, 2018

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

EponymousMrYar posted:

Back in the day before MTQ started putting out guides (and the early days of them both doing so) he was more concerned with getting stuff out quick than anything even approaching comprehensive. So he'd often gloss over mechanics and suggest strategies that were either outright wrong (because he didn't understand the mechanic properly yet) or tailored to the group he ran with (I still remember the phrase 'if you do decent dps you should be able to skip this' from watching a Shiva Ex video of his.)

AFAIK he's gotten a bit better about it nowadays but he's kind of had to; MTQ's videos blew his out of the water and then skeet shot them to pieces with how comprehensive and easy to understand they are.

Also funnier to listen to. I'd always prefer to watch any of her guides rather than a jumbled hot mess from MrHappy as he shills out to some company and how awesome their products are.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It surprises how someone can be so verbose about something (some of his dungeon guides take as long to watch as it would to actually run the dungeon, (maybe even longer!) and yet will still omit information.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

There was a website called ffxivguides that had really succinct easy to understand guides, but they stopped updating when HW came out :(

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Back in the day before MTQ started putting out guides (and the early days of them both doing so) he was more concerned with getting stuff out quick than anything even approaching comprehensive. So he'd often gloss over mechanics and suggest strategies that were either outright wrong (because he didn't understand the mechanic properly yet) or tailored to the group he ran with (I still remember the phrase 'if you do decent dps you should be able to skip this' from watching a Shiva Ex video of his. It was the sole strategy he had for one mechanic.)

LFM Zurvan EX, auto disband if I see Soar

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Truga posted:

It's why alliance raids are often fun, getting 1/3 or 7 chatty people is fairly rare, but with 1/23 the chances are higher, and once you have 2 people shittalking others will try to weigh in too :v:

e: also obviously banter about which alliance group got everyone wiped

I always try to get the ball rolling by publicly calling out any red mage that isn't wearing a hat.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I'm in full plate and glasses, come at me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I’m doing return and play on a PS4 account I made and abandoned lalmost immediately after realm reborn. If I buy complete pc edition will I get a free month? Game might have its hooks in me even while dealing with the UI on a PS4 controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KidDynamite posted:

If I buy complete pc edition will I get a free month?

Yeah, adding a new platform to your service account adds the 30 days.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Managarm description posted:

I should have been the one to feed your dark hound with light! - From an Ancient Epic

How does Koji keep getting away with it?! :argh:

Ytlaya posted:

As an unrelated comment, I liked how immortal flames dude just cut the smug Monetarist guy in half while he was smugging it up. You're always sort of thinking "just stab the dude" in scenes like that, and he actually did it.

Teledjii wanted to be a major villain, but he didn't quite make the cut.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Sweet, now I can unsub until 4.4 hits. Although goddamn, how does a Roegadyn fit into Air Force? My Elezen is already sitting on her feet in this thing.

Also, I'm not sure how (other than being really pissed off at one now-former member of my static) but I managed to obliterate my previous best Godka parse by a bit over 500 DPS that run. Being mad ain't just for Warriors anymore!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Teledjii wanted to be a major villain, but he didn't quite make the cut.

You almost feel bad for him trying to play the big man in an arena where he was utterly outclassed. It was inevitable that he'd fall to pieces.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

The thing about "do MSQ first!" is that it's actually mostly good advice, but there's a giant glowing asterisk that seldom gets addressed: your job/class quests. Those quests should always be your #1 priority over all else (before 60), because really important features are hidden behind them. I've run into too many 50s that aren't wearing at least their AF1 armor, and more than once I've done level 50 trials with people who don't have their job stone equipped.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thundarr posted:

You almost feel bad for him trying to play the big man in an arena where he was utterly outclassed. It was inevitable that he'd fall to pieces.

Was he even aware that Lolorito was going to poison Nanamo through her lady in waiting? Or did he just think "sweet, Nanamo was just randomly killed, gonna pretend it was all part of my grand plan."

edit: Speaking of the lady in waiting, the instant she showed up I thought "that is the character design of someone who is suspicious as gently caress"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Was he even aware that Lolorito was going to poison Nanamo through her lady in waiting? Or did he just think "sweet, Nanamo was just randomly killed, gonna pretend it was all part of my grand plan."

edit: Speaking of the lady in waiting, the instant she showed up I thought "that is the character design of someone who is suspicious as gently caress"

Teledji's plan was to straight up murder Nanamo and pin the crime on you and the Scions.

Things didn't quite work out how he wanted. There's an info dump part-way through the 3.0 content that covers what Lolorito was doing during the mess in Ul'dah and afterwards, but suffice to say Teledji never had a chance in hell of getting away with his plot.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Raubahn deciding that the cackling villain needed to be cut in half is still one of my favorite MSQ beats in the game.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
(Please keep important MSQ story beats suitably vague or in spoiler tags, please.)

I was spoiled on the end of ARR thanks to the HW opening cinematic, but I was still not prepared by how it was such a huge clusterfuck for you and your friends. Man.

Also I cleared The Vault a few hours ago and literally powered through the MSQ so that I could heal this gaping hole in my heart. "A smile better suits a hero..."

Also DRK 60 was amazing I am floored again.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Schneider Heim posted:

Absolutely keep going with DRK.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
DRK's job quests are the best quests in the game, no contest.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Schneider Heim posted:

Also I cleared The Vault a few hours ago and literally powered through the MSQ so that I could heal this gaping hole in my heart. "A smile better suits a hero..."

It never gets any easier, does it?

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

(Please keep important MSQ story beats suitably vague or in spoiler tags, please.)

I was spoiled on the end of ARR thanks to the HW opening cinematic, but I was still not prepared by how it was such a huge clusterfuck for you and your friends. Man.

Spoilers are loving dumb.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417007
http://www.jbe-platform.com/content/journals/10.1075/ssol.3.1.09lea