Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6/17/2014
6,076,647 steps
49 titles. I don't buy many games. But I have 831 hours in Animal Crossing, and 70 in Miitopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do you leave it on 24/7 and bring it with you everywhere?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
why isn't anyone talking about EOV? I know going back to that 240p screen is rough but skipping on a new Atlus game just feels wrong to me. I'm thinking of scooping it up today

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There are too many good games coming out, I haven't even played Untold 2. But I definitely want to pick it up someday. It would probably help if I played the demo, which I also still haven't done.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

why isn't anyone talking about EOV? I know going back to that 240p screen is rough but skipping on a new Atlus game just feels wrong to me. I'm thinking of scooping it up today

What’s the appeal of that series? I see a lot of people really excited over it on Twitter.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

cartography is very satisfying

other than that it's a good dungeon crawler with some cool aesthetics and music

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
pretty much, it's a direct injection of classic tile-based dungeon crawling goodness

drawing your own maps is stupidly satisfying and it offers plenty of challenging turn-based action, it's pretty great

the anime avatars are kinda really dumb, it's a minor flaw that doesn't detract from the rest of the game because the monster designs are pretty cool and you only see the portraits in menus, not in the world

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KingSlime posted:

I'm too busy with the Superstar Saga remake. There are way too many games out there right now!! :supaburn:

(Also there's a thread where people are discussing the game.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 18, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Plenty of people are discussing EO5. The thread for EO blew up with the release.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

KingSlime posted:

the anime avatars are kinda really dumb, it's a minor flaw that doesn't detract from the rest of the game because the monster designs are pretty cool and you only see the portraits in menus, not in the world

hey now, there's at least like a 50-50 split for cool/dumb portraits

eov's female portraits are admittedly worse than usual, cool grandmother aside, but at least you can just assign a female voice to an androgynous portrait now

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

dmboogie posted:

hey now, there's at least like a 50-50 split for cool/dumb portraits

eov's female portraits are admittedly worse than usual, cool grandmother aside, but at least you can just assign a female voice to an androgynous portrait now
I like EO because it has modern design sensibilities but none of the ridiculous "you're the destined hero" fellatio of WRPGs so I can happily play a JRPG with a custom party and pretend it's the adventure of four idiot middle aged men trying their best to protect an idiot princess. (Or, in the case of EOV, an old lady and her dog chaperoning a pack of anime idiots through a dungeon.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which race/class has the old lady? I need one to be the Aunt Bea in my Mayberry Guild.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Therian Rover.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I like EO because it has modern design sensibilities but none of the ridiculous "you're the destined hero" fellatio of WRPGs so I can happily play a JRPG with a custom party and pretend it's the adventure of four idiot middle aged men trying their best to protect an idiot princess. (Or, in the case of EOV, an old lady and her dog chaperoning a pack of anime idiots through a dungeon.)

You sold me on it. Should I play the older ones or jump straight to the new one?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

You sold me on it. Should I play the older ones or jump straight to the new one?
:neckbeard:

Go for EO4 first, I think. From there you can play the Untold games or skip right to 5.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'd go fresh on the new one so you can join the hype train. They're all similar enough that they can be played in any order really.

IV is also a really good starting point, although it has an overworld whereas most other EO games are about progressing deeper into a dungeon so going back to that format might be weird. I'd save the remakes (and 3 on the DS) for after 4 and 5 if you're craving more EO goodness.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's a series that improves with each entry. Just jump straight to the newest ones unless you really want an experience that's lacking in a lot of quality of life stuff. Read: Avoid the DS entries (especially 1 and 2) unless you really can't hold back that historical curiosity. (The first game has no sidestepping or quicksaving. Which were actually touted as features before the devs realized that was stupid and added those in for the 2nd game onwards.) There's no continuity between games, so you're not missing anything by doing so. All the 3DS games have demos, and those are the kind of demos that just lets you play the beginning of the game for free, so you can transfer the progress over to the full game if you feel like buying them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh yeah that save file transfer feature in the demo is great, you usually get a solid 4-5 hours of gameplay before you're "cut off"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

EO5 is so so smooth so far. Get the demo and jump right in. If you like it you'll have at least 3 other games to play later. (4 if you decide to go back to EO3 on the DS. It's jankier than the 3DS ones but I still really liked it when I played it after them. )

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I caved in as well and yep, it's the EO I know and love

cept they cranked the polish way the hell up, it's great

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, Bowser's Minions was a shallow, if cute side mode at first, but the endgame is pretty much needlessly grindy. You need to have like a good portion of your troops at a decent level, or you won't be able to beat the stages anymore, and it takes a while to grind up that many minions.

Also Joke's End still sucks if any of you were wondering about that. Music is slightly less grating at the very least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't want you to grind, they want you to buy more amiibo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

KingSlime posted:

why isn't anyone talking about EOV?
Because I'm still finishing off Fire Emblem Echoes, and have Superstar Saga, Culdcept Revolt and Layton's Mystery Journey to play, along with about a billion Dragon Quest games. EOV may need to be skipped, especailly with all the Switch games out this month. :(

Speaking of Echoes, does Luthier get less lovely when you promote him? Also same question for Clive.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

irlZaphod posted:

Because I'm still finishing off Fire Emblem Echoes, and have Superstar Saga, Culdcept Revolt and Layton's Mystery Journey to play, along with about a billion Dragon Quest games. EOV may need to be skipped, especailly with all the Switch games out this month. :(

Speaking of Echoes, does Luthier get less lovely when you promote him? Also same question for Clive.

Nah, they're both meant to be serviceable but not stellar units.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Nah, they're both meant to be serviceable but not stellar units.

I didn't use Clive at all, found Mathilda more useful and only used luthier in emergencies, delthea, his sister was a million times better.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I mean you can deploy everyone so it's not a huge deal. Because Delthea starts at such a low level when you get her, I was really focusing on getting her levelled up (because everyone said she was a badass). Priestess is a great class tbh because you get great White and Black magic, plus the unit can use a sword. She ended up getting Promoted really quick, while Luthier kind of lagged behind.

I'm pretty much at the fight with Rudolph now but I've just gone back to Fear Mountain Shrine to do some promotions. I might grind a bit to get Clive and Mathilda promoted to Gold Knight also.

How many missions are there after Rudolph?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
After him you have like literally one dungeon left. It’s a big one, but it’s worth keeping in mind that it is a dungeon so you can only bring nine other dudes besides Alm, so you don’t really have to worry about leveling anyone falling behind, especially Clive since you get another Gold Knight soon with poo poo growths but good bases for, like, literally the end of the game.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, in echoes there are so many units quite a few of mine didn't get levelled up, just because you could deploy everyone but it wasn't practical to actually use everyone due to movement range.

I only finished the game last week, (bought it at launch but got distracted by switch stuff) really enjoyed it, reminded me of the GBA fire emblem games more than the other 3DS games.

That said I have no desire to buy DLC, it's a pretty complete story. I also own the amiibo but never used them and have no idea what they do in game!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

After him you have like literally one dungeon left. It’s a big one, but it’s worth keeping in mind that it is a dungeon so you can only bring nine other dudes besides Alm, so you don’t really have to worry about leveling anyone falling behind, especially Clive since you get another Gold Knight soon with poo poo growths but good bases for, like, literally the end of the game.
Do you mean Zeke? I've already got him.

Good to know that I'm almost done with it at least. Duma Tower felt like a bit of a long slog because of all the battles in it. Also I somehow completely missed the Temple of Mila in there, I was dragging around a ton of people who needed Promotion, expecting for it to be about half way through. :doh:

nerd_of_prey posted:

I only finished the game last week, (bought it at launch but got distracted by switch stuff) really enjoyed it, reminded me of the GBA fire emblem games more than the other 3DS games.
Yeah I got it at launch too, I've been enjoying it and playing it fairly solidly. The problem was that I lost Celica to an unlucky crit in Grieth's Citadel right at the end (Grieth was the last enemy unit, and he landed a crit during a counter attack). I was so annoying I kind of put the game down for a while, and got distracted by other games.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 18, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The final story-related puzzle in Lady Layton is a 4-piece jigsaw.

Story-wise there's no point where the game tries to make you give a poo poo, even in a ham-fisted time-travelly way.

And the ending of the final case is idiotic.

How much crap is there near and under London in this series by now?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Story-wise there's no point where the game tries to make you give a poo poo, even in a ham-fisted time-travelly way.

Even the characters in the game world don't seem to give a poo poo. That's how bad the entire story is.

Except Hastings, he's fine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A quarter of the puzzles were inspired by huffing alphabet pasta.

'What's special about those letters?'
'What do those letters have in common?'
'Does this remind you of any letters?'
'Don't those letters look funny when you bend them?'

They'll be making a machine gun out of letters next.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And I could be mistaken, but there doesn't seem to be a daily puzzle download but now paid DLC. :argh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's still a daily puzzle, it's in the bonuses section (They're up to like 32 now)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also Joke's End still sucks if any of you were wondering about that. Music is slightly less grating at the very least.

Motherfucker, I was hoping they'd take advantage of the fact that they're remaking the game to actually add more to it. I'm sure it's just me, since I got stuck on figuring out how to make a surfboard for so long that I was just happy to be on a dungeon, but I felt like the game ended a dungeon or two short.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL people, there are demos for Kirby Battle Royale and New Style Boutique 3 up on the eShop today.

NA people, you're not getting Kirby until next year and you may not get Style Savvy at all.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Are NA really not getting Kirby Battle Royale till next year?! That's very odd.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's coming January 19, so it's not that far into 2018, but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Picross 3D Round 2 is very good. Can't believe I didn't play it sooner!