Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Soricidus posted:

i wish stallman was trapped in the 70s, but unfortunately he has escaped and tenderly embraces us

so what was this emacs deal that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Deacon of Delicious posted:

so what was this emacs deal that happened

People asked for GCC to provide access to the AST for syntax some code reformatting plugin or something, RMS says he'd only accept specific hooks for that use-case. People say that just means there'd be a lot more churn whenever a new feature is needed, so just give us the goddamn AST. RMS says he'll think about it, because if you give the AST away then you open the door for proprietary backends to GCC, using GPL code for the frontend. People point out they'll just use Clang/LLVM these days.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Edison was a dick posted:

RMS says he'll think about it, because if you give the AST away then you open the door for proprietary backends to GCC, using GPL code for the frontend. People point out they'll just use Clang/LLVM these days.

rms himself has made this argument about other things. if you read his essay about the LGPL, he argues the LGPL is valuable when licensing a free software alternative to something that has many proprietary alternatives. if you are licensing something that has no alternatives, by all means, use the full gpl. this is why readline is GPLed -- there are no good alternatives, so it's an inducement to publish your product as fsf-free software

gcc's frontend used to be a readline-like unique advantage. now it's just one among many.

rms was once flexible enough to consider the competition. today he has chosen not to be. he's loving over emacs and gcc at the same time by holding fast on one thing that is no longer relevant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

i worked at a company where they were making java desktop apps that could also load as applets in the '90s, and it scarred me for life

:smith::hf::smith:

worked on an all-Java browser. that poo poo will never fully come off

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

worked on an all-Java browser. that poo poo will never fully come off
not really what u mean, but https://vivaldi.com/#Features/4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that doesn't load the right thing on my phone, but if you mean that it's built with React and such, I lived that adventure with Firefox. I'll still take JS&C++ over Java for building a browser any day.

(but I'm not building a 5th browser, for love or money)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

KARMA! posted:

serialize is better because it supports object instances

A. so does var_export() B. serialize() is full of security holes C. but most importantly serialize() is a much less human-readable format. like, it requires you to specify the length of your strings for some dumb reason. PAN is easy-peasy to write by hand, which is its #1 design goal. for example, here's some PAN i just wrote:

[butt_id => 5, size => 'huge',]

look at that crystal clear syntax. look at how you don't need to quote the key names. look at how you can use a comma after the last item without making it barf. now look at what happens if you serialize that same array:

a:2:{s:7:"butt_id";i:5;s:4:"size";s:4:"huge";}

gross!

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

B. serialize() is full of security holes

isn't that a feature in PHP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

that doesn't load the right thing on my phone, but if you mean that it's built with React and such, I lived that adventure with Firefox. I'll still take JS&C++ over Java for building a browser any day.

(but I'm not building a 5th browser, for love or money)
they use js, react and such, yes. "node.js, browserify and a long list of npm modules."
im not even sure if i should try it at all

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

b0lt posted:

isn't that a feature in PHP

just means that the language doesn't get in your way whining about security!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Is it still cool to complain about Java's weird OOP fanaticism? Because that's what strikes me whenever I look at Java code.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

You can't build libraries with beautiful DSLs without evaling

if only you got beautiful stack traces too

it really isn't worth obfuscating the code to the compiler or the maintainer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

if only you got beautiful stack traces too

it really isn't worth obfuscating the code to the compiler or the maintainer

sourcemaps

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Ruby is starting to grow on me
what have I become

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

Ruby is starting to grow on me
what have I become

have you coded in it with other people?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Data:: Dumper is a good enough serialization format any day :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just send x86 machine code over the wire and execute to unpack. why are we loving around?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

just send x86 machine code over the wire and execute to unpack. why are we loving around?

That's a patented AOL technique.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's a patented AOL technique.

I had it happen more often with Adobe stuff, I think.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

we can call it NaCl Object Notation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

we can call it NaCl Object Notation

except someone might use this

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

except someone might use this

hopefully on iOS

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol I can make x86 secure, just control branch targets to be %32

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
memory is an array and bigints are arrays which means memory is a bigint so just bitshift memory to move eip around.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
wish someone would move ur posts around

move them right out of this forum

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

have you coded in it with other people?

yes and it turns out that some people just write ruby like an rear end in a top hat
but some people write it nicely

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deacon of Delicious posted:

wish someone would move ur posts around

move them right out of this forum

General Bit Shift is thataway >>

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Shaggar posted:

irrational java hatred esp wrt memory usage is another great way to detect people who have no idea what they're talking about and/or are still stuck in the 70s. not surprisingly most of these people use a Linux and plangs.

shaggar was right

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ahmeni posted:

General Bit Shift is thataway >>

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

irrational java hatred comes from starting jira or stash or any atlassian product and waiting ~5 minutes for it to be ready while it pegs all the server's cores

and then it's slow as gently caress to use

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the people who think java are slow on the desktop have probably used it on the desktop

the people who think java is slow on the server have probably never used it on the server

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

tef posted:

the people who think java are slow on the desktop have probably used it on the desktop

the people who think java is slow on the server have probably never used it on the server

it's this

thanks swing

thwing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a professor in college who insisted that we create every frame and dialog our program was ever going to display ahead of time. Like, when the program started. So, instead of: *click a button* *slight pause while dialog is built*, it became: *run the program* *long-rear end pause while everything is built*.

I get that, sometimes, JIT is Just Too Late, but man, that was some obnoxious code style.

Meanwhile, the other members of my group made their dialogs appear when the program started, so like twenty windows would immediately pop up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CPColin posted:

I had a professor in college who insisted that we create every frame and dialog our program was ever going to display ahead of time. Like, when the program started. So, instead of: *click a button* *slight pause while dialog is built*, it became: *run the program* *long-rear end pause while everything is built*.

i am pretty sure this is why eclipse has a splash screen

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CPColin posted:

probably because

a) students created them on demand and before in a mix and ended up thrashing memory, or having lots of duplicates and never getting the right events handled

b) it's easier to have one init method that creates them all and assigns them to singletons

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure this is why eclipse has a splash screen

and is then slow as gently caress because

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i made the gui for a reasonably large java program once and it was relatively responsive and not terrible (although unpleasant to make)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

now i just use wpf and xaml, god's own ui thing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
swing is ok, swing performance is fine as long as it's done properly with worker threads and stuff. slower than native guis, faster than 100% of web apps i've ever had the misfortune of using.

the swing api is pretty lovely though, i'm not gonna defend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/pres/201502-JVMChallenges.pdf

this is a cool slide deck about what they want to do with the jvm now