Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

odinson posted:

Was really hoping ToA would give a few more higher level beast options (dino's or 4 armed monkeys) for polymorph versatility and S&Gs, but I understand why T-rex and Grape Ape are the upper limits for that spell.

Are Girallon's beasts or monstrositys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
CR4 Monstrositity

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also survey on the Eladrin and Gith. If you find the gith as they presented boring. Say so I guess.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey-0

Serf
May 5, 2011

dont even fink about it posted:

"Roll to advance plot" is not a roll people should make. Among other reasons, never make people roll for something if nothing interesting would happen on a failure.

The fact that this is not obvious to the lead designer of the RPG with the most name recognition in the world is hilarious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also survey on the Eladrin and Gith. If you find the gith as they presented boring. Say so I guess.

I feel weird just saying "I hate it" when I don't really know what could be done to make them not boring, but I've still basically said that.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Serf posted:

I agree that it's pretty funny how loving stupid Mearls is.

Someone ask if they can make their own class, donate, and use it in AL instead of either Mearls or Crawford

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's an idiot in that timeline jumping down the throat of someone asking why exactly the class should only be legal to the person donating, which strikes me as a pretty valid question. Like yeah I get the appeal of "Here's a thing only I can have" but it's a bit weird when that results in something not being added to your game that's desperate for content.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fey Step: Satisfied

Literally Everything Else: Extremely Dissatisfied.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Someone ask if they can make their own class, donate, and use it in AL instead of either Mearls or Crawford

One of the abilities must be named "Shout Your Hand Back On"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, so in the game in playing right now, my fighter lost his hand.

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the abilities must be named "Shout Your Hand Back On"
Problem solved!

Serious answer, no set penalties. If a roll's important you or the gm can say "he's only got one hand though" to grant you disadvantage (or not even attempt) in return for an inspiration to be used later.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

The effect still ends at the end of initiative 20, and not literally at the end of Bob's delayed turn, lest Dave get to benefit from the effect twice.

Right, thanks. I couldn't understand poo poo last night.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/910658699198263296

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

odinson posted:

Was really hoping ToA would give a few more higher level beast options (dino's or 4 armed monkeys) for polymorph versatility and S&Gs, but I understand why T-rex and Grape Ape are the upper limits for that spell.

Don't wanna turn the barbarian into something too cool, or it'd be odd. Might get damage output to compete with higher level spell casters.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

God damnit. Just...God damnit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
oh poo poo I'm out of spell slots - I use my neglect marriage ability

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
This is tangentially related to D&D, but has anyone played Noisy Person Cards which was a game to help learn different voices for GMing? It used to be a free game with the PDF that you could go print out, but I can't find it anywhere.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

"...be one of the first to bring sex into the world of fantasy!"

Honey, you are nowhere near being one of the first. That ship done been sailed.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Roll for anal circumference. Add your result to the ritual spellcasting table:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love that a barbarian that recharges his powers with sex isn't even the worst thing in that paragraph.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm glurg the barbarian, swear I'm really strong as long as I masturbate every short rest..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Jesus, what are you doing?"

"I'm roleplaying!"

"Get out of my house."

"But I'm roleplaying! I'm a barbarian!"

"GET OUT!"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm glurg the barbarian, swear I'm really strong as long as I masturbate every short rest..

They managed to make the Berserker subclass even worse, now you get exhaustion every short rest too!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Five bucks says 90% of the groups that use that tome will be exclusively one gender.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I dunno I mean I personally can't wait to have 5 dicks and fight a cum elemental.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serperoth posted:

They managed to make the Berserker subclass even worse, now you get exhaustion every short rest too!

Uh excuse me it's called a refractory period.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lurdiak posted:

I love that a barbarian that recharges his powers with sex isn't even the worst thing in that paragraph.

This is a bit from the new Chappelle stand-up on Netflix.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
I am a bit confused about how HP works in 5e. Let's say my Con mod is +1 and I am a bard taking average.
Level 1 would be 8+1=9 hp
Level 2 would be 9 +5 +1=15
Level 3 would be 15+5+1=21

Then at level 4 I take +2 Con making my modifier +2
Do I get
Level 4 21+5+2 = 28

Or do I get because it's retroactive
Level 4 = 8 +3 * 5 +4 * 2 = 31

And if it is retroactive, why didn't they just gave out formulas for HP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Formulas are math and math doesn't feel like Real D&D (tm).

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Imazul posted:

I am a bit confused about how HP works in 5e. Let's say my Con mod is +1 and I am a bard taking average.
Level 1 would be 8+1=9 hp
Level 2 would be 9 +5 +1=15
Level 3 would be 15+5+1=21

Do I get
Level 4 21+5+2 = 28

You get 31.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Imazul posted:

Do I get
Level 4 21+5+2 = 28

Legit thats the most complicated description of hp gain i've seen lol though its correct.

It definitely is retroactive and your second line is correct there . The reason its not part of a formula is probably that it can happen outside of the levelling schema so its not necessarily a good place to put it. Though yes having just a HP = HP + dice average + CON MOD is the formula.

Or I guess your general formula = Level 1 HP + ((Dice Average Value + CON MOD) x level)

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 22, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Imazul posted:

It's retroactive (PHB177). The simplest way to do the math is to just add (your level*modifier change) to your max HP whenever it changes, doing so after any normal level-up changes.

kingcom posted:

The reason its not part of a formula is probably that it can happen outside of the levelling schema so its not necessarily a good place to put it.

That's a good point, but probably not the reason why the book lacks such a formula.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

It's retroactive (PHB177). The simplest way to do the math is to just add (your level*modifier change) to your max HP whenever it changes, doing so after any normal level-up changes.

That's a good point, but probably not the reason why the book lacks such a formula.

Yeah I know its an excuse for something that wasnt thought about I'm sure.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What do hydras eat? I want to booby trap something it would find tasty as we're going to go after one

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Thanks. Players not using a character builder had the wrong HP totals. It's especially though to see with those that roll for HP but with the PHB rule it's easier to explain now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There's a good chance the devs literally did not realize there was an HP formula, and that's why they never wrote it down.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I legit had no idea that your HP went up as your Con mod increased so thanks for that!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thought experiment: What is terminal velocity for a naked kenku that fell off a cloud castle at cruising altitude?

(We broke out physics equations and coefficients and came to 3d6)

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

mastershakeman posted:

What do hydras eat? I want to booby trap something it would find tasty as we're going to go after one

Pretty sure they eat people. Probably also any warm blooded mammal they can find. Hydras are monsters man.

I've heard they also like virgins, I saw it once in that Disney Hercules cartoon. As to what kind of virgin? Here's a roll table:

St0rmD posted:

Roll for anal circumference. Add your result to the ritual spellcasting table:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mastershakeman posted:

They are big monsters that will eat near anything. The reasons they tend to be hostile to people is cause they want to eat them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I imagine that hydras, if not able to get meat, would prefer vine fruits so that each head can more easily get even shares. I imagine it would suck if one of your mouths didn't taste anything while the others feast.

For the same reason, a whole passel of rabbits would also be appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hydras are actually more closely related to giraffes than to dragons.