Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BigRed0427 posted:

The gently caress? Why? Why is that loving possible?

Debate and Drumsticks › Tech Nightmares: Accidentally Malicious

Main Paineframe posted:

They weren't completely locked out. The key still worked. But since they could unlock the car via the Tesla app, many owners stopped bothering to carry their physical keys around, since they already had something in their pocket that could unlock the car.

The app doesn't directly communicate with the car, though. It sends the request via the internet to Tesla's servers, and then Tesla's servers authenticate it and forward it along to the car. If Tesla's servers go down, then everyone who didn't bring their backup physical key with them is in trouble.

It's just another example of how Tesla designs stuff that tends to fail poorly, and then markets it in a way that leads users to overly rely on the best-case scenario and neglect backup options.

Yeah, this all sounds way cooler and far more convenient than having to just put a key in the door to unlock and start my car and having to keep a spare set around.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doggles posted:

Tesla's servers don't even need to go down for this to be a problem. Hope you never pull over in a place with no cell reception.

https://www.vox.com/2017/1/15/14278516/tesla-stranded-cell-reception-red-rock-canyon

This is an extremely dangerous place to get locked out of your car.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is an extremely dangerous place to get locked out of your car.

Yeah a missing pair of keys in the wilderness is no joke. After it basically happened to me in college, I kept a spare key maglocked under my bumper.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

Everyone wants every little device connected for convenience, and then is suppressed that doing so might set themselves up for heartache when their provider either terminates their always-connected device or fails to uphold their nine nine's service level agreement.

Like the $15,000 coffee maker that required server access to operate. When the company folded, all the places that bought it were left with a $15 paper weight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Debate and Drumsticks › Tech Nightmares: Accidentally Malicious

Yeah, this all sounds way cooler and far more convenient than having to just put a key in the door to unlock and start my car and having to keep a spare set around.

Most car keys these days are contactless. You just need to be carrying them to work.
The difference from the Tesla version is that this does not rely on an external server and functioning internet connection.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like the $15,000 coffee maker that required server access to operate. When the company folded, all the places that bought it were left with a $15 paper weight.

lol, i hate love snobby coffee/tea culture poo poo like that. like I get having a nice looking way to combine your plant matter and water, but come on.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Lone Badger posted:

Most car keys these days are contactless. You just need to be carrying them to work.
The difference from the Tesla version is that this does not rely on an external server and functioning internet connection.

Tesla has those too, you get 2 with your car and a fob depending on the model, and they sell them in the form of a ring and also you can store them in phones that let you do rfid phone storage, you get a lot of options, not just the app.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tesla offered cell unlock/start for some reason (I can't think of any reason why this would ever be useful). Some idiots decided that (1) they would always have cell coverage, (2) their phones would always have battery, (3) and Tesla's IT would never break, so they didn't need to carry their actual car keys anymore. It's a stupid feature for a car to have, but the people who relied on it are also dumb

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Tesla offered cell unlock/start for some reason (I can't think of any reason why this would ever be useful). Some idiots decided that (1) they would always have cell coverage, (2) their phones would always have battery, (3) and Tesla's IT would never break, so they didn't need to carry their actual car keys anymore. It's a stupid feature for a car to have, but the people who relied on it are also dumb

Like the story made clear it was (1) that the driver wasn't aware of, which makes sense because it's bonkers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Like, I get that smartphones are really handy and pretty much everyone's most important personal possession nowadays, but attaching literally everything you own and use to one thing has always been a recipe for disaster.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Another example of a lovely company dictating how you use the things you buy, and pulling scammy poo poo to force more sales or replacements:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/canon-sued-for-disabling-scanner-function-on-all-in-one-printers-due-to

quote:

Canon says it disables scan and fax functionality as a precaution to prevent damage.

Sounds like Apple's excuse about security/damage

quote:

Canon is facing a lawsuit that could force it to change how its all-in-one printers react to running out of ink.

As HotHardware reports, Canon USA is being sued by David Leacraft in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Leacraft filed a class-action complaint which points to Canon advertising its all-in-one printers as multifunction devices capable of print, copy, scan, and fax functionality. The problem is, if they run out of ink, Canon disables the scan and fax functionality.

In the past when this issue has been raised by customers on Canon's support forums, the company responded by explaining the functionality is being disabled to protect the printer. In a forum post published back in 2016, Canon responded to a customer querying why he couldn't scan without ink in his MG 5420 by stating:

"If you are getting a "Ink Out" error, you will not be able to use the unit until the ink is replaced. These precautions are in place to prevent damage to the printer from occurring if printing with no ink is attempted. The printer uses the ink to cool the printhead during the printing process. If no ink is present, the printhead could be damaged or the unit would require service."

Scanning doesn't require any printing, so this answer doesn't explain why the functionality is disabled. Leacraft argues in his complaint that what Canon is doing is a "design issue." The complaint goes on to say:

"Canon does not represent or warn consumers that ink is a necessary component in order to scan or fax documents. As a result, consumers are forced to incur unexpected and unnecessary burden and expense in the form of ink purchases or in the alternative be unable to scan or fax documents using the so-called all-in-one device."

Leacraft is demanding a jury trial and seeks monetary damages, injunctive relief, and for Canon to "immediately cease the misleading advertising and marketing campaign and engage in a corrective campaign to inform consumers of the use of misleading advertising.

The question this lawsuit is asking, and hopes to ask a jury, is whether anyone would purchase a multifunction printer if they knew beforehand that it required a regular supply of ink to scan or fax documents? I suspect a lot of consumers would not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Everyone's laughing at Tesla for being dumb, and they are, but it's actually a problem with a lot of cars. I've personally experienced this, and I've watched other people go through it: how do you open your keyless-start car when the battery dies?

The answer is: yes, there's almost always a way to do it. The details on that way are conveniently located in the manual which is locked inside your car, and there's no standard as to how to do it. Now that it's happened to me once, it's actually really easy albeit annoying in my car (fun fact: you can't do it without setting the car alarm off! For... reasons!), but the first time I definitely had to look it up online and I would've been poo poo out of luck if I were in the middle of nowhere instead of at work. Fun fact: none of my car enthusiast coworkers knew what to do either, we all had one or two pieces of the puzzle but were missing crucial steps.

So, definitely do laugh at Tesla and Tesla owners, but if you don't unlock and start your car with a key on a regular basis... learn you what to do when the fob stops working now, so you'll be prepared. This should be covered during the dealer delivery process if you buy from a dealer (it was not, in my case, but anyway...) but now that keyless start is no longer particularly novel, it's also important to know if you rent a car, if you buy a used car, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My fallback plan is to stick the key in the keyhole and turn it to open the door.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And then hold the fob up to the push button until something happens.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PT6A posted:

how do you open your keyless-start car when the battery dies?

I've only had 2 cars with it, but both have a pretty obvious key in the dongle and there's a keyhole in the door. The Tesla door handle design fuckups are completely egregious.

Having said that, my current car does have an electronic hood release which doesn't work with a dead 12v battery, which is under the hood. Great job guys. I keep a starter pack in the trunk in case I need to power up the system in case that happens.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

knox_harrington posted:

I've only had 2 cars with it, but both have a pretty obvious key in the dongle and there's a keyhole in the door. The Tesla door handle design fuckups are completely egregious.

Having said that, my current car does have an electronic hood release which doesn't work with a dead 12v battery, which is under the hood. Great job guys. I keep a starter pack in the trunk in case I need to power up the system in case that happens.

Can the trunk be opened without power though?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

The key in the doohickey on mine is not obvious but you'd probably find it eventually. That said I can't imagine how you would purchase a car and never ask yourself where the actual physical key to unlock it is.

Volmarias posted:

Can the trunk be opened without power though?

Pretty sure they all can be by law as long as you're willing to crawl in through the back seat which you can't fold down because the release lever is in the trunk that you can't unlock without power.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wallet posted:

Pretty sure they all can be by law as long as you're willing to crawl in through the back seat which you can't fold down because the release lever is in the trunk that you can't unlock without power.

From the outside, I meant, since opening the trunk is apparently required to open the hood.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

What do you do with the the power pack if you can’t pop the hood? My car is from the 2000s, do they put some kind of emergency terminals in the cabin or trunk now?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

withak posted:

What do you do with the the power pack if you can’t pop the hood? My car is from the 2000s, do they put some kind of emergency terminals in the cabin or trunk now?

My last car (an 05) and my current car both have the battery in the trunk and remote terminals under the hood. Never heard of the reverse though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kaal posted:

Yeah a missing pair of keys in the wilderness is no joke. After it basically happened to me in college, I kept a spare key maglocked under my bumper.

That guy got caught out in January which means he's fine, it's relatively pleasant and there's a road back. In the summer it gets to 115 now, and it's a desert where you can easily end up miles from shelter, with little vehicle traffic because it's not really the season to visit Red Rock unless you're trying to pick a fist-fight with the sun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
And here I am with my battery under the hood like a caveman.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
poo poo, I have a key hole on the outside of my car AND the inside. Who am I, James Dean?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My buddy's car, you need to pull a key out of the fob, use that to unlock a panel, then pull that loose and insert the key to open the door, then pull apart the center console where you place the fob to start the engine

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Wallet posted:

My last car (an 05) and my current car both have the battery in the trunk and remote terminals under the hood. Never heard of the reverse though.

My current car has the battery in the trunk. And I thought it was stupid till I had to replace the battery. Then I realized I was loving wrong.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

withak posted:

There's a pop out positive terminal in the driver's footwell, and negative attaches to the door hinge / any bare metal. I also have a ODB2 adapter that I think should work but am not 100% as there may be a relay preventing it powering up.

To get into the trunk will be a case of folding the back seats down and crawling in. I've not had a flat battery but some owners have reported it and I just want to be prepared!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

PT6A posted:

Everyone's laughing at Tesla for being dumb, and they are, but it's actually a problem with a lot of cars. I've personally experienced this, and I've watched other people go through it: how do you open your keyless-start car when the battery dies?

The answer is: yes, there's almost always a way to do it. The details on that way are conveniently located in the manual which is locked inside your car, and there's no standard as to how to do it. Now that it's happened to me once, it's actually really easy albeit annoying in my car (fun fact: you can't do it without setting the car alarm off! For... reasons!), but the first time I definitely had to look it up online and I would've been poo poo out of luck if I were in the middle of nowhere instead of at work. Fun fact: none of my car enthusiast coworkers knew what to do either, we all had one or two pieces of the puzzle but were missing crucial steps.

So, definitely do laugh at Tesla and Tesla owners, but if you don't unlock and start your car with a key on a regular basis... learn you what to do when the fob stops working now, so you'll be prepared. This should be covered during the dealer delivery process if you buy from a dealer (it was not, in my case, but anyway...) but now that keyless start is no longer particularly novel, it's also important to know if you rent a car, if you buy a used car, etc.

Sorry, but I drive in cars made by sane people, so:

withak posted:

My fallback plan is to stick the key in the keyhole and turn it to open the door.

hobbesmaster posted:

And then hold the fob up to the push button until something happens.

Also, when you got your car, did you not at least leaf through the manual for interesting information like wtf to do if the fob battery dies?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
When I bought my car that has keyless ignition the sales rep showed me how to open up the fob to use the key embedded in it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There's actually a street near where I grew up that is/was a radio remote black hole. I parked there one day with my otherwise fine car, couldn't get the remote to work so I just used the key to lock the car (which in turn arms the alarm), but when I came back it would not disarm via remote. I could unlock the doors fine with the key but the immobiliser needed the remote to disarm.

One of the store owners saw me struggling and came out to tell me that it happens at least once a week to someone.

I eventually got it started using a pin code function involving the ignition positions and a flashing LED.

all of that is still way more dependable than a cellular based, phone-home-first type setup in a Tesla.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chronojam posted:

My buddy's car, you need to pull a key out of the fob, use that to unlock a panel, then pull that loose and insert the key to open the door, then pull apart the center console where you place the fob to start the engine

Yeah, exactly. The key itself is obvious, and you might be thinking that the keyhole is also obvious... but you'd be wrong, and there is a definite trick to popping off the cap the covers the keyhole without damaging it.

Then, once you get in, there's no actual ignition keyhole. You still have to press the button, then hold the fob to the place where the keyhole would be in a normal car, which works even if the battery is dead. You will have to do this as the alarm is blaring, because once you unlock the car with the physical key, the alarm will go off and will not stop going off until you start the car.

Yeah, it's a really stupid design, and yeah, I should've looked it up in the manual before I needed to do it in practice. That's why I'm recommending that people do exactly that, in case they haven't already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Even most modern, keyless cars have keyholes in the door handles or alternate ways to open the door. Also: Mechanical linkages to the actual door locks versus Telsa that went full electrical, so if you lose battery and the door is locked, you cannot open it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, NSO group which is an Israeli firm that sold Malware to government and provided Infosec consulting, recently got given the middle finger by the US Government. As a result, Apple has now sued NSO group, and while NSO deserves any flack (their malware has been used to hunt dissidents and reporters), there's some concerning verbiage in the lawsuit:

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1463278878634348546?s=20

Basically: Apple is claiming if you hack their OS, they can sue you, because in their mind they own the OS even when its installed on your phone. Basically, they own your phone no matter what.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

because in their mind they own the OS even when its installed on your phone.

Uhhhh...they do. You merely have a license to use it. This is not a new concept in software/OSes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Uhhhh...they do. You merely have a license to use it. This is not a new concept in software/OSes.

In the context of how Apple has responded to security people in general: No, I don't they mean "You violated our license". Apple has a history of really sketchy views about Infosec.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So, NSO group which is an Israeli firm that sold Malware to government and provided Infosec consulting, recently got given the middle finger by the US Government. As a result, Apple has now sued NSO group, and while NSO deserves any flack (their malware has been used to hunt dissidents and reporters), there's some concerning verbiage in the lawsuit:

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1463278878634348546?s=20

Basically: Apple is claiming if you hack their OS, they can sue you, because in their mind they own the OS even when its installed on your phone. Basically, they own your phone no matter what.

They do retain ownership of the copyright to their software. You are not allowed to commercially sell a derivative work of someone else’s copyrighted software without permission. I think ownership here is used in this meaning?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/postingtwink/status/1463707366122266630

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hobbesmaster posted:

They do retain ownership of the copyright to their software. You are not allowed to commercially sell a derivative work of someone else’s copyrighted software without permission. I think ownership here is used in this meaning?

I can't wait to watch NSO Group argue that it constitutes "fair transformative use" :allears:

Then again, people are already going to jail for jailbreaking iphones, sooo v:v:v

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
First you jailbreak your phone.
Then you jailbreak yourself.

Simple.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Is this post based on confusing this with the Facebook thing, or is someone actually trying to take a black excellence in technology conferences software down a peg?

Take THAT black creators! Your online covid canceled conference replacement software looks bad. Owned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this post based on confusing this with the Facebook thing, or is someone actually trying to take a black excellence in technology conferences software down a peg?

Take THAT black creators! Your online covid canceled conference replacement software looks bad. Owned!

What?