Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. It was pretty common. For me it was a hairline fracture so I used it as long as possible. But eventually it completely broke. It worked out for me cause I had a warranty and GameCrazy warranties were stupid good since they'd give you an equal amount back. Since I originally got the DS in that bundle, they made it up to me by getting me a silver DS Lite and a copy of the newly released Pokemon Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olive! posted:

One of the hinges on my DS Lite broke too, but it was intact enough to still function. Were the hinges on those things just awful weak points?

Well, yeah, look at the things.

My story went differently. I had a normal original DS for the longest time, like I'd say maybe 5-6 years. Eventually, being a klutz for so long, I finally kill the thing. It's been dropped for so many times that now it's in two pieces. Top and bottom screen just completely separated from each other.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That reminds me of a guy I was friends with in middle school who got an original DS on launch day and almost immediately broke both hinges, but the thing still functioned so he just had to hold the top up or put it on a flat surface. He used it until the 3DS launched. :unsmith:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Been playing Fire Emblem Echoes. In A4 Nuibaba and keep getting my rear end handed to me. Pretty close to giving up on the game as I've dumped a good 4-5 hours into this one drat battle. I think I understand that I need to warp Alm in and recover him back out to kill Nuibaba? I lose so many characters easily on this map, I don't even want to know how you beat it on normal. Closest I've gotten was 5 characters left and Alm getting nuked for the loss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Use Silque to Warp Alm in.
Have Alm use Double Lion. Hopefully this kills Nuibaba but regardless
Have Faye Rescue him back out.

Unless of course you don't have Cleric Faye in which case, whoops.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was playing on Normal but I didn't even warp him in. Also I think I killed Nuibaba with Python, who got a crit with his killer bow. My plan was to just hammer him with as many characters (preferably ones with good Avoid, in the hopes that Medusa would miss). You can use Psychic or Rescue on whoever you send in. At the end of the day, as long as they have >1 HP on Nuibaba's turn, they will be ok.

It's an annoying map though, the Dread Fighters are such a pain, and the narrow passage to get around the back just slows everything down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

That reminds me of a guy I was friends with in middle school who got an original DS on launch day and almost immediately broke both hinges, but the thing still functioned so he just had to hold the top up or put it on a flat surface. He used it until the 3DS launched. :unsmith:

Yeah, I've had to do that with my DS lite too. I either let it go or keep a finger behind the top screen so it doesn't flop back and forth.

I'm still super thrilled how durable those things are though. I'm really worried about everything else I own though. The fact that these glasses haven't shattered yet is a miracle, to me.

Echoes does neat stuff but I wouldn't want the next FE game to be like it or Fates. The voice acting was fine but I'd still end up wanting more conversations with everyone after I'd heard everything and skills being tied to what weapon you've got equipped was super annoying but I have to say, having towns with points to explore and dungeons was cool. That said, dammed if I'll ever play another old game remake if they don't let you pair people up because desert and other 'you move slowly' maps continue to get made.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 28, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The desert/swamps are truly amazing in that they had an easy fix (mages get full move because they’re lightly armored) but NOPE, gotta have that bad jank in there along with the good poo poo like summoning a zombie army of trash fodder to throw at your enemies and infinite Excalibur.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

The desert/swamps are truly amazing in that they had an easy fix (mages get full move because they’re lightly armored) but NOPE, gotta have that bad jank in there along with the good poo poo like summoning a zombie army of trash fodder to throw at your enemies and infinite Excalibur.

And Nosferatu damaging the final boss.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Use Silque to Warp Alm in.
Have Alm use Double Lion. Hopefully this kills Nuibaba but regardless
Have Faye Rescue him back out.

Unless of course you don't have Cleric Faye in which case, whoops.

Am I really under leveled or something? My warp only goes 5 spaces and watching videos of the fights people have Silque with 15ATK and I only have 10.

Edit: Finally beat her. Had to just take it waaay slower and pick off as much as I could before warping Alm in. Thanks!

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 28, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reminder for US people, Target's buy 2, get 1 free sale starts on Sunday.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It excludes Switch games unfortunately.:(

EDIT: I thought this was the general eshop thread.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Buy 2 of any game on any system? Neat!

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I've had to do that with my DS lite too. I either let it go or keep a finger behind the top screen so it doesn't flop back and forth.

I'm still super thrilled how durable those things are though. I'm really worried about everything else I own though. The fact that these glasses haven't shattered yet is a miracle, to me.

Echoes does neat stuff but I wouldn't want the next FE game to be like it or Fates. The voice acting was fine but I'd still end up wanting more conversations with everyone after I'd heard everything and skills being tied to what weapon you've got equipped was super annoying but I have to say, having towns with points to explore and dungeons was cool. That said, dammed if I'll ever play another old game remake if they don't let you pair people up because desert and other 'you move slowly' maps continue to get made.

Pair up would have improved the desert maps, or just giving mages better movement in the desert like in the GBA games, it was quite frustrating how slow celica moved on those maps! However, I do think echoes is my favourite recent fire emblem game. The only thing I annoying was the number of random battles on the map that made backtracking hard work.

I liked the amount of conversations in echoes, I find awakening and fates to have way too much dialogue, much of it pointless anime nonsense about girls baking and training chat.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Do you think this deal will be better than black friday? I just got my 3DS this year so I haven't paid attention to the sales in the past.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nintendo_Legend/status/925066566508654592

Checks out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This week's drop (all releases Nov 2, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EDT/9am PDT for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

3DS
Creeping Terror - $8.99 / Ł8.09 / €8.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Trapped below a creepy abandoned mansion deep in the forest, a group of friends find themselves on the run from a terrifying monster. Using only her wits and what's around her, Arisa must uncover the secrets of the mansion, and figure out how to escape...before it's too late.

Frutakia 2 - $3.95 / Ł3.49 / €3.89 (Sep 21 NA / Nov 2 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Frutakia is back and better than ever! Match three or more cute animals and level up in the third dimension! Go ahead and move any row up or down! We dare you to discover its ultra-addictive gameplay – play once and that’s it... Simple and smart gameplay, ideal for short periods of time – on the bus, on the train, in a queue, or when the boss is talking.

Kirby Battle Royale - Ł ? / € ? (Jan 19 2018 NA / Oct 3 EU)
Retail / Digital - [NA] [EU]
Kirby™ is about to enter a tournament against his toughest rival yet…himself! In local* or online ** battle arenas, up to 4 players can fight until the last Kirby standing wins. There are other modes too, like Ore Express, a mad dash to hoard treasure. Choose an ability and prove you're the one Kirby to rule them all. Not to mention, there's a single-player story mode too!

Phil's Epic Fill-a-Pix Adventure - $7.99 / Ł5.99 / €7.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Create amazing pixel art as you reveal 100 beautiful pixel art scenes from Phil's epic trip around the world! Phil's Epic Fill-a-Pix Adventure is a new picture logic puzzle from the makers of Pic-a-Pix Colour, but with huge, scrollable puzzles up to 100 squares wide, you'll reveal pictures much larger and more detailed than ever before!

I've only just started Superstar Saga, and Kirby is out already. :suicide:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA announced a bunch of poo poo today:

-the new Style Savvy is coming to NA, digital-only, out December 25, there's a demo going up today

-they announced a few more 2DS/XL SKUs including this new Ocarina of Time 2DS bundle:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

-the new Style Savvy is coming to NA, digital-only, out December 25, there's a demo going up today

:woop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hey PAL-lords, the new Kirby game's out now.

EDIT: Meta Knight has voice clips now and they're amazingly bad

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NOA announced a bunch of poo poo today:

-they announced a few more 2DS/XL SKUs including this new Ocarina of Time 2DS bundle:

Wow, they must have a shitload of unsold 2DS hardware to keep pushing special editions out like that. I would've thought it'd be a new2DS at the very least.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The 2DS was made for kids who statistically don't play handheld consoles anymore.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, it's really gross but a lot of kids these days just play F2P crap on an ipad or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My nephew and niece play both F2P crap on phones and tablets, and 3DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My sister thinks that everything kids do should be either educational or involve playing outside so her kids only get videogames when they play F2P crap on my phone or half an hour of Mario Kart if they're ever at my house, which is fairly rare.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey PAL-lords, the new Kirby game's out now.

EDIT: Meta Knight has voice clips now and they're amazingly bad

Did they retain his anime voice actor?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they retain his anime voice actor?

Like, the Japanese actor, or the Zorro guy?

His vocalisations in this game sound like Bill Trinen placeholders that they forgot to replace, or something. The announcer sounds kinda amateurish as well... it's not a big deal, it's just really jarring. It kinda reminds me of Kirby's Avalanche, come to think of it.

EDIT: exhibit A http://reserved-kirby.tumblr.com/post/167067514100/reserved-kirby-i-dont-know-what-this-is-used-for

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, they must have a shitload of unsold 2DS hardware to keep pushing special editions out like that. I would've thought it'd be a new2DS at the very least.

They've gotta be making new ones. It is pretty mind blowing how much cheaper that basic 2DS hardware is than New 3DS XLs or even New 2DS XLs. My coworker with a lot of kids is trying to pick up one of each of the 3 2DS + game bundles, so for $240 he's going to get 3 consoles + 3 games. A single New 3DS XL is $200.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure more special editions means the hardware is selling well, not languishing on shelves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Manky posted:

I'm pretty sure more special editions means the hardware is selling well, not languishing on shelves.

Plus I can't imagine it's cheap to take existing units off of shelves, put new shells on them, repackage and remaket them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

His vocalisations in this game sound like Bill Trinen placeholders that they forgot to replace, or something. The announcer sounds kinda amateurish as well... it's not a big deal, it's just really jarring. It kinda reminds me of Kirby's Avalanche, come to think of it.

EDIT: exhibit A http://reserved-kirby.tumblr.com/post/167067514100/reserved-kirby-i-dont-know-what-this-is-used-for

The Zorro guy, that's not the Zorro guy :(

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Yikes, they could've at least gone with the Sakurai-sanctioned Darth Vader thing he's got going on in the Smash games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shopto Black Friday 3DS deals: https://www.bfads.net/stores/shopko/ads/black-friday/page-7

-NSMB2 2DS with additional free game (Ocarina of Time, Luigi's Mansion 2, Metroid Samus Returns or Hey! Pikmin) for $80

-Pokemon Sun or Moon for $10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shopto Black Friday 3DS deals: https://www.bfads.net/stores/shopko/ads/black-friday/page-7

-NSMB2 2DS with additional free game (Ocarina of Time, Luigi's Mansion 2, Metroid Samus Returns or Hey! Pikmin) for $80

-Pokemon Sun or Moon for $10

I’m in for Pokémon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

My sister thinks that everything kids do should be either educational or involve playing outside so her kids only get videogames when they play F2P crap on my phone or half an hour of Mario Kart if they're ever at my house, which is fairly rare.

Your sister is probably right tbh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
*looks at current state of the internet/"gaming communities"*

yep, gonna have to go with her on this one too

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's always Doctor Kawashima

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
TRU's doing buy 1, get 1 40% off for 3DS games right now: https://www.toysrus.com/family?categoryid=11204051

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Target 3DS Black Friday sale: lots of new-ish games for $25 including Mario Maker, Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby Robobot, Pokemon OR/AS and more: https://weeklyad.target.com/promotions?code=Target-20171106&lnk=Wejustcouldntwa&page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is now being datamined.