Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is the Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Eh, seems pretty underwhelming. Decent in draft if you get it early and can build around it, but I don't see it making waves in Constructed"
- MTG Thread, during spoiler season.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Make vamps it's your only hope

I'm playing the dumb precon vamps, that's totally the same right

Hellsau posted:

Well for a minor investment of $200 every 3 months your F2P rear end can start winning games!

I thought you couldn't p2w yet in beta?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Back from picking up my cards. Not super impressed with my prerelease pack, but them's the breaks.

Promos: Yargle (a good froggy boi) and Woodland Cemetery
Rares:
The Mending of Dominaria
Helm of the Host
Precognition Field
Fall of the Thran
Grand Warlord Radha
Hinterland Harbor

Honestly if I stayed I could have made a VERY solid green/black deck. I had 2 Yargles, Woodland Cemetery, Whisper, Slimefoot, 2 Llanowar Elves, some Saproling makers, etc. I think it could have done well, but gently caress staying out this late.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Congrats on foil froggy.
Memes will probably make that worth something?

I'm heading to a prerelease in a few hours.
Should be fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MTGO players get really salty when they run into a bad matchup.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/hTwRMoj.jpg

Went in totally blind, think I built about right. Green looked promising at first glance but was 80% unplayable. 2-0 so far. Forebear's Blade has been real good.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Hauki posted:

I thought you couldn't p2w yet in beta?

You can't. Premium currency comes with the patch next week.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol my opponent just curved t3 dread shade into T4 dread shade in his 3 colour deck
I’m playing g/b with 8 sources of each color and didn’t see a single swamp across two games
gently caress my dead gay life

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

lol my opponent just curved t3 dread shade into T4 dread shade in his 3 colour deck
I’m playing g/b with 8 sources of each color and didn’t see a single swamp across two games
gently caress my dead gay life

Limited with a high entry fee leads to some awful feelbads.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Limited with a high entry fee leads to some awful feelbads.

Also both the dread shades were non-promo foil

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hauki posted:

I'm playing the dumb precon vamps, that's totally the same right

Make this:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-wb-vampires-45260#online

But swap 3x Fatal Push for 3x Cast Out for gently caress you Scarab God

And swap out 3x Champion of Dusk for 2x Settle the wreckage for gently caress you merfolk and 1x Adanto Vanguard.

Win games, get money, smoke trees.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Pool was hot fire tonight. Jhoira, Karn, Muldrotha, Traxos, blade of the forebearers.

Prize packs were on point too - Jaya, Karn’s Temporal Sundering, and all together 3 Cast Downs.

I can’t remember the last prerelease I ran so hot.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
My pool was lame, but I built a BW removal.dec and took it to 3-1 which was pleasantly surprising. My only loss was to a guy who opened the best poo poo and played UR wizards incredibly fast. Got 3 packs out of it. I didn’t pull anything of value all night - Phyrexian Scriptures sorta - but the cool things I pulled were two foil Goblin Warchiefs.

On the whole it feels fun. I would definitely consider drafting Dominaria. If I typically suck at sealed and went 3-1 with randy stuff, it feels pretty good.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Hauki posted:

arena isn't much fun when literally everyone i play seems to be slamming full playsets of scarab gods on curve while i'm durdling around with the rank starter decks dropping grizzly bears and poo poo

They should really have matchmaking for pre-con decks only, like pokemon or MTGO way back in the day.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I tried to go with a red/black deck with 9 removal/burn spells and not enough creatures. I pulled a Jaya promo and thought that this was the only, only time I would ever play her and holy poo poo is that card bad in limited.

On the flip side, getting helm of the host going is amazing, casting a kicked ten damage burn spell is cool.

My pool was ok: Jaya and Torgaar were my promos, I got a couple dual lands, karn's temporal sundering, a helm of the host, and a foil Jodah.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jaya's fine in Sealed if you're heavily red and have some junk you want to rummage away, since discarding 2 or 3 useless lands or early drops and replacing them with actual cards is pretty nice. 6 loyalty is also pretty beastly, and the emblem will win you the game if you have 5+ removal spells in your deck. Triple red is pretty rough though and unless your pool was bad you should have plenty of kicker cards to ensure that extra lands aren't actually dead, so it's tough to make Jaya work.

Helm of the Host is pretty nuts though, if you keep that equipped to basically anything it should win you the game very quickly.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
My kit had a foil Karn, Weatherlight, Multani, Phyrexian Scriptures, Forbearer's Blade, Blackblade Reforged, Yawgmoth's Offering, and Antiquities War. Most insane kit I has. Deck was clunky, though went 2-2

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Balon posted:

Pool was hot fire tonight. Jhoira, Karn, Muldrotha, Traxos, blade of the forebearers.

Prize packs were on point too - Jaya, Karn’s Temporal Sundering, and all together 3 Cast Downs.

I can’t remember the last prerelease I ran so hot.

Upside: I got to see someone equip a helm of the host to traxos. loving lol he got like four or five out before he found a historic spell but oh boy!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Best cards so far:
Helm of the Host, Jesus loving Christ
Phyrexian Scriptures (2 of the top 4 had one)
On Serra's Wings
Slimefoot the Stowaway

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

Phyrexian Scriptures (2 of the top 4 had one)

4 mana Duneblast is pretty messed up, yeah.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Rares and prognos from my prerelease pool.

So much garbage.
I didn’t even have enough black support to run the black Saga.

Am somehow 1-1 right now, waiting for game 3.
Probably won’t stick around to all 5 rounds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How long do prereleases usually take?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Maaaaaan I have a spicy deck on mtgo but I keep timing out because I'm bad at mtg

I'm 1-3 but would be 3-1 if I didn't suck at time management :(

My top cards:

Icy Manip
Time of Ice (bonus vs. tokens and if you have icy manip)
Urza's Tome

3 color is surprisingly easy to run with 17 land and just one Grow from the Ashes. e: and if you pull a dual land :v:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

How long do prereleases usually take?

~50 minutes for deckbuilding, then ~50 minutes for each round. plus 15 minutes waiting around for it to start

you can just call the store and ask how long they usually go, or check there schedule and see how much time there is between each prerelease they run

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
UltraPro came through with those Arcane Flight playmats for the Cat Draft! I thought they were going to send two or three when they said "a few", but they sent twelve! Here's my cat Shuffle (named because, starting when he was a kitten, he'd come running to me at the sound of me shuffling cards) checking them out:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

LifeLynx posted:

UltraPro came through with those Arcane Flight playmats for the Cat Draft! I thought they were going to send two or three when they said "a few", but they sent twelve! Here's my cat Shuffle (named because, starting when he was a kitten, he'd come running to me at the sound of me shuffling cards) checking them out:

Oh yeah, there's no "like" button on SA. That's awesome.

Also, did you change your handle our has it always been a cat pun?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LifeLynx posted:

:yeah:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LifeLynx posted:

This owns and you own, and I want to get on a plane and take my kid because she'd flip her fuckin lid at this.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LifeLynx posted:

A Good Magic Post

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Got 2 boxes got 2 karns. Among 19 people last night I think 5 boxes were bought before prize support. I think 6 or 7 karnsz were gotten. My dude got 2 mox ambers too. First box i bought since innistrad and crackinv packs feels so gokd. Im going to play slime saprolings or red green ramp with my boy skizzik.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I bought a box too. Was planning to draft it at work, but we won't have time to do that for at least two weeks.

Will just end up opening it some time tomorrow probably.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

My store owner was pretty unhappy with WotC. They made it sound like the store would get the full allotment of their boxes so anyone who wanted to buy a box early could. They have 30 boxes. Their midnight prerelease alone had over 100 people.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

How do the arena resets work exactly? Just full reset to square one across the board? I realized I’ve been dumbly conservative with my wildcards, sitting on 2-3 mythics right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hauki posted:

How do the arena resets work exactly? Just full reset to square one across the board? I realized I’ve been dumbly conservative with my wildcards, sitting on 2-3 mythics right now.

Back to square one.

If you've spent money on buying gems (which you can't do yet, but you will be able to before the next wipe), you'll get the gems back after the wipe.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is an arena reset known to be coming?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is an arena reset known to be coming?

There will 100% be one before open beta. No known date for that though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

There will 100% be one before open beta. No known date for that though.

What I thought, sounded like it was imminent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LifeLynx posted:

This is awesome, but I already have enough playmats...