Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Yeah I sound kind of negative, sorry. But as a true America Boo I still worship almost all things America :911:

Asia for Asians?

Africa for the Africans? White countries for everyone? Freaking amateurs.

Maybe there should be WORLDWIDE GOVERNMENT and then some plague will occur a la Deus Ex.

I didn't think you were being negative. Just meant that you know a lot more about Canadian immigration policies.

Also the United Nations is just a front for the Syndicate and life will be better for all of us once the Cigarette Smoking Man has us transmogrified into black slime aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's China, so it's the cigarette smoking baby instead.

Taken in Henaaaaaaaaaan~~~~ of course :downsrim:

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL
I am a real American...fight for the rights of every man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCGoA-dZBzo

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

and of course

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

caberham posted:

Asia for Asians?

Man, the rising sun flag is really is the confederate flag of Asia, isn't it?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

caberham posted:

It's China, so it's the cigarette smoking baby instead.

Taken in Henaaaaaaaaaan~~~~ of course :downsrim:

Today in Henan I got into a taxi and some woman started screaming at the driver about he was supposed to stop for her instead and the driver was like, whatever man but she blocked his way so I got out to give her the taxi but then another taxi came and she took that one after I yelled at her and called her a dumb oval office in the middle of the street.

This was at 8pm on a street that generally has LOTS of taxis.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Why did you cut in front of a woman waiting for a taxi?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
”我用屄洗鸡“

-毛主席

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I didn't. I walked out the main gate of my community and a taxi came and stopped for me and I got in it. She came from the other side of the street, or he didn't see her. I am no taxi thief, though I do strategize where I stand.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This week all the taxi drivers in Luoyang bought a new smartphone and now use that stupid taxi app (which isn't meant for real taxis, they're doing off-fare rides to cheat their bosses) and there's a lot of frustration going around because lots of taxis are driving around with the light on but not stopping for anyone.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Malaysian authorities have revealed that the people traveling on stolen passports were :siren:BLACK MEN:siren:

Welp case closed.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Hi Hong Kong goons,

I'll be in HK from the 18th to 23rd for the Cards and Payments Expo. I have free time pretty much all day on the 21, 22, and 23. Anyone want to meet up during this time? Caberhelm keeps talking about good steak sandwiches and such.

Also, our company has us in South Pacific Hotel in Central. I'm staying one extra night at my own cost, any recommendations for a good hotel that wouldn't be too difficult to get to and also has good connectivity to the airport?

Also any recommendations for a prepaid 3G mobile SIM card?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Probably best to get one at the airport 7/11 so we can coordinate. If you can wait I would say Sham Shui Po but then I love that place

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hey, as you may well know Glorious Iceland signed a free trade agreement with your insignificant little country some time back. (I mean China here, not the US) I was wondering if it was worth it getting a taobao account or something equivalent to that, to have some stuff sent on over in case of wanting to give my least favourite cousins lead flavoured toys, my fashion conscious aunts knock-off clothing or something like that. Maybe some booze, because I'm curious if I can get it through customs as industrial solvent.

So who delivers halfway around the world and isn't absolutely terrible?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Arglebargle III posted:

Malaysian authorities have revealed that the people traveling on stolen passports were :siren:BLACK MEN:siren:

Welp case closed.

Update on that, it turned out when he said they looked like a certain famous African footballer he in fact meant they were Iranian.

Also the Malaysian Prime Minister has announced that it's almost definitely a hijacking. Though at this point I'm still not sure, they're ability to lurch between saying nothing, to coming out with a definitive statement, to then disavowing that statement and going back to knowing nothing is getting a little confusing. That and every time I hear him mentioned my mind hears Will Ferrell shouting "Kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia!!!!"

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Is it too early to apply for university teaching positions? I've read it's best to email your CV to the school, but I'm keeping an eye on a couple of job boards too. Are there any reputable recruiters out there?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hey, as you may well know Glorious Iceland signed a free trade agreement with your insignificant little country some time back. (I mean China here, not the US) I was wondering if it was worth it getting a taobao account or something equivalent to that, to have some stuff sent on over in case of wanting to give my least favourite cousins lead flavoured toys, my fashion conscious aunts knock-off clothing or something like that. Maybe some booze, because I'm curious if I can get it through customs as industrial solvent.

So who delivers halfway around the world and isn't absolutely terrible?

That's not how free trade works.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

mrgoodtrips posted:

Is it too early to apply for university teaching positions? I've read it's best to email your CV to the school, but I'm keeping an eye on a couple of job boards too. Are there any reputable recruiters out there?
Just email the universities if you can find a useful email address on their terrible websites. When I went looking, I just emailed a ton of universities. I was aiming to start in March for the spring term and most schools responded with "We hire starting in September, please wait and come work for us then!"

But a few had openings for various reasons (foreign teachers quitting mid-contract, getting fired, getting forced out, etc). I accepted one and started the whole paperwork process which took about 2 weeks. As the start of the term came closer, I started to get more desperate emails from other universities even though I had told them I took a job elsewhere.

I still get random emails asking to fill positions. Four years later.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

mrgoodtrips posted:

I'm interviewing two candidates next week and have been recruiting for almost a week now.

If you fancy non-Chengdu I can give you a job: send me your CV again and I'll put a salary offer together.

We're here: http://jobs.echinacities.com/jobchapter/1354432044

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Some medical school near Harbin is still emailing me. And when they say "near" I think they mean rather far north. So if super winter and 4th rate Chinese medical school sounds good, I can let you know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GuestBob posted:

I'm interviewing two candidates next week and have been recruiting for almost a week now.

If you fancy non-Chengdu I can give you a job: send me your CV again and I'll put a salary offer together.

We're here: http://jobs.echinacities.com/jobchapter/1354432044

What's the pay flexibility? I'm thinking about getting out of where I am now but my student loan would eat too much of that 8000 RMB to be livable.

I'm getting paid about 13,000 now in Korea and it's just barely enough. Cost of living would be lower in China but not that much.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 16, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

What's the pay flexibility? I'm thinking about getting out of where I am now but my student loan would eat too much of that 8000 RMB to be livable.

The pay flexibility is nil for new starts. You'd get what we offer. Sorry.

Domestic teaching staff in China are paid using monies provided from the provincial MoE as part of a monthly disbursement. Foreign staff are paid directly by the institution and (annoyingly) at HUUC we don't do this from a devolved budget (money held at departmental level) but from central funds. Which means that every time we want to hire a new person, give someone a pay rise, or provide a bonus, we have to go through the Asst. Principal for HR. It is a pain in the arse.

More established universities with longer running foreign programs may have more money swilling around at FAO departmental level, which can be applied with a greater degree of discretion.

[edit]

And just for lurkers: on the offerred salary range you could look to save about $500/month after living expenses. Free accommodation and an annual travel allowance knock off the big expenses too.

It's not great, but it's not bad.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 16, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, without a student loan that would be a perfectly fine deal. loving US universities.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm getting paid about 13,000 now in Korea and it's just barely enough. Cost of living would be lower in China but not that much.
You're still in Korea, ya? Are you doing like the EPIK 9-5, 5 day a week gig?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

You're still in Korea, ya? Are you doing like the EPIK 9-5, 5 day a week gig?

God I wish I was still doing that. I'm at an after school program now, which means two days a week I work at a hagwon which is the worst school I've ever been in. My hagwon last year wasn't great but I really miss it now that I'm at the bottom of the barrel. The other three days I do the 1-5 PM after schools at elementaries, which isn't that bad except they lied about the grade level, lied about the work hours, and it's the most disorganized thing I have ever seen. In Asia.

If they don't pay the overtime they owe I'm out of here, which is why I was asking. I'll stick it out until I find a new job then split.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
ESL in China: Come for the pollution, stay for the 15k/yr salaries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

I am too late for Hong Kong in August. :negative:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have been egging you about getting a HK job for ages :colbert: You can try our version of EPIK.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

I have been egging you about getting a HK job for ages :colbert: You can try our version of EPIK.

That's the one I'm too late for. Next round, unless I can find a free grad school program somewhere and expand my options.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

God I wish I was still doing that. I'm at an after school program now, which means two days a week I work at a hagwon which is the worst school I've ever been in. My hagwon last year wasn't great but I really miss it now that I'm at the bottom of the barrel. The other three days I do the 1-5 PM after schools at elementaries, which isn't that bad except they lied about the grade level, lied about the work hours, and it's the most disorganized thing I have ever seen. In Asia.

If they don't pay the overtime they owe I'm out of here, which is why I was asking. I'll stick it out until I find a new job then split.
I did the full week thing with EPIK in a high school. My job at university in China was like five or six 90 minute classes a week (varied by semester). But it is so easy to get (easy) extra work that I was able to add a good deal to my income. I started teaching classes for a fake department at my university and just that doubled my pay. And I was still working less than in Korea.

I'm not sure anything is as bad as hagwons.

Edit: fixed a math

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are good hagwons. One of my friend works at one that sounds superb, he was consulting me yesterday on designing a new course he's going to do on Roman history. With like ten year olds, they're that fluent. Almost every class there uses regular American school textbooks. Of course, since that's a really good job no one ever leaves so no openings.

How do you work for a fake department? That seems like high level fakery even for China.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm not sure anything is as bad as hagwons.

If you don't mind teaching kids then you can make a mint through extra work. You could triple the savings I noted above.

Although I can't officially endorse this because it breaks the terms of your residence in China. :downs:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The fake department was really a company that paid the school for office space, classroom time, and use of the school name and logo. Their purpose was to fleece rich people and send their kids to lovely college abroad.

Editedit: Speaking of private "education", does anyone know about the private colleges popping up around China?

My university worked with a famous rich guy who's name I forget. He paid to use their name and opened a college in Nanchong, Sichuan. So instead of the mundane sounding Hope College 希望学院, students could brag about going to Southwest Jiaotong University Hope College.

If I got the story straight, this guy was a gangster who was arrested and after his time in jail decided to open schools. And now he's super rich.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 16, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

i mean its all relative. i don't make a whole lot by eu/ euro standards but when you consider I basically pay all my bills for the year halfway through my second paycheck it suddenly seems p ok and I save a lot.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Rationalizing is a fun thing for cool people to do.

Even if you saved 100% of your salary. Bringing back $15,000 after a year of work is not a lot of fun.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

The fake department was really a company that paid the school for office space, classroom time, and use of the school name and logo. Their purpose was to fleece rich people and send their kids to lovely college abroad.

Just by way of conversation - the MoE has now officially banned these organisations from using the parent university's name in a leading position on their diplomas. Which is no bad thing because they were frequently very dishonestly run.

Bloodnose posted:

Rationalizing is a fun thing for cool people to do.

Keeping busy these days nose?

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 16, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

GuestBob posted:

Just by way of conversation - the MoE has now officially banned these organisations from using the parent university's name in a leading position on their diplomas. Which is no bad thing because they were frequently very dishonestly run.
None of the "international departments" I've had experience with actually handed out any diplomas. They would somehow prepare students to go abroad. Students would get language classes for a certain amount of time. It depended on the destination country. Japan and Korea usually were both two semesters of class. France seemed the most strict. Singapore was 6 months to "you can go now, if you want (and pay)."

The students would get their diplomas or certificates at schools where ever they landed. Which, after talking with teachers who worked at those schools, sounded just as dishonestly run as their connections in China.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

None of the "international departments" I've had experience with actually handed out any diplomas. They would somehow prepare students to go abroad.

Slightly different thing then: there's two different species of creatures prowling the underbrush in these areas.

"School of International Education": uni. departments which run articulated programs.

Programs run by these departments will normally be jointly delivered by the home and partner university and most frequently result in the award of a diploma from the home institution.

A small number of students who are good enough will be able to proceed to their partner institution for their final year or two of study. These students will receive a degree from one or both of the univerisities involved.

Why are they a seperate department? Why not simply give students on regular programs the option to study abroad? Well, by labelling a program "international" and signing a partnership agreement, a Chinese university can have a much more flexible approach to admissions and fees.

Why do universities in god fearing countries want to get involved with this? Well, because it gives them reliable and carefully moderated access to a lower segment of the market than they would otherwise be able to reach.

"International Colleges": seperate entities without degree awarding powers which run programs within university campuses.

It as easy as gently caress to set one of these if you some cash to throw around. All you need is a host university, to which you pay a buttload of rent and borrow their teachers, and you can get accreditation to run (for example) NCUK programs almost immediatley.

State sector institutions are missing a trick not getting in on this and doing it better - but they have issues with offering courses at different levels because the provincial MoEs don't like the marketplace to get muddied and would rather have a fly by night set up a business inside a college (I don't loving know).

In addition to these, there's a whole mess of agreements with all kind of random private universities and hillariously marketed programs which are nothing more than bullshit followed by a regular application to a university.

Tom Smykowski posted:

...those schools, sounded just as dishonestly run as their connections in China.

There's one in Malaysia which is going out of business because they hosed up their operations and have lost any credibility.

:eng101:

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 16, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Editedit: Speaking of private "education", does anyone know about the private colleges popping up around China?

Yes. There are two major ones in Henan - SIAS and a branch of a larger group of eleven which is, in this case, named Chenggong University of Finance & Economics.

What would you like to know?

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah classic "business" "person" snobbery. Anyone who doesn't do what I do must be an idiot who works for pathetic wages that I'll just make up. I don't need to understand things before making decisions because I work in finance. I must be smart because I get paid so much! BTW I'm unemployed.

Sorry nose it's not so much you I've just seen so much worse from people who had similar attitudes but vastly more inflated. And yes, unemployed and bitterly complaining about the other people whose fault it putatively is, with zero sense of irony.

Hehe that reminds me of the 50-something ex insurance executive I met at a teaching internship interview in Phoenix in 2010. He was one of about 40 applicants for 5 positions.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 16, 2014