Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Montasque posted:

Oh yeah. The map gets very unfriendly to Cruz moving forward, and Texas was a big get.

As far as Rubio... Does anyone know the magical math needed to get him as the nominee outside of a convention fight? Right now its looking dire for Little Marco.

Can't the GOP rally around Cruz just to force a brokered convention and then try and pick Rubio? Yes I understand that would literally destroy the party. But what if they see that as a price they're willing to pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So I just woke up and... am I right in saying it could have been more savage for Bernie? Doesn't look too bad, from my perspective.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i haven't been following that primary all that close, but aside from oklahoma on the plus and massachusetts on the minus side of the equation he probably did about as well as he was expected to do

he sure didn't win a lot of black votes, though, so that narrative still holds. i don't think he did all that great in the heavily hispanic districts of texas, either. i'll probably look into that tomorrow, i know where the stats are on it

edit: to be clear, 'as well as he was expected to do' is from the perspective where he loses the nomination by a large, non-controversial margin

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Mar 2, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mike12345 posted:

So I just woke up and... am I right in saying it could have been more savage for Bernie? Doesn't look too bad, from my perspective.

He 100% needed to win MA. It's over, and he will not be the nominee. He can post feelgood numbers in many states in the future and may even win Kansas.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Is there much data on the Hillary/Bernie split for non-black minority votes? It seems pretty clear that Hillary's taking 65-85% of the black vote in most contests so far, but outside of arguing over the Hispanic vote in Nevada (which I think in the end showed they came out about even?) I've not seen anything concrete on how the Hispanic/Asian/Muslim/etc vote has gone or is expected to go.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Aliquid posted:

He 100% needed to win MA.

Why is this? Its not winner takes all, and he got 43 delegates to Hillary's 45. If positions were reversed, it wouldn't have changed much.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Is there much data on the Hillary/Bernie split for non-black minority votes? It seems pretty clear that Hillary's taking 65-85% of the black vote in most contests so far, but outside of arguing over the Hispanic vote in Nevada (which I think in the end showed they came out about even?) I've not seen anything concrete on how the Hispanic/Asian/Muslim/etc vote has gone or is expected to go.

Hillary won hispanics 67-33 in TX, where they were 28% of voters. That's the only state where they were a large enough sample to have the exit poll breakdown reported.

None of the other minority groups have large enough samples to have exit poll breakdowns.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Aliquid posted:

He 100% needed to win MA. It's over, and he will not be the nominee. He can post feelgood numbers in many states in the future and may even win Kansas.

If Bernie gets 46 delegates to Hillary's 45, is it ok if he's the nominee?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nopants posted:

If Bernie gets 46 delegates to Hillary's 45, is it ok if he's the nominee?

538's target for MA was 50, so I'm guessing that no, 46 isn't enough.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Anarkii posted:

Why is this? Its not winner takes all, and he got 43 delegates to Hillary's 45. If positions were reversed, it wouldn't have changed much.

The big issue is that the proportional delegate system rewards large margins of victory. Hillary has way more states in which she has/will have a huge margin of victory than Bernie does. This means that Bernie can continue to get very close to Hillary or beat her in some states and still be forced to play catch-up, because Hillary is still adding enough delegates from each state to stay in the lead. For Bernie to have a viable path to the nomination he's going to have to start blowing out Hillary in more states, and I'm not sure there are many opportunities to do that anytime soon.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Fangraphs is projecting the Royals to be the worst team in the American League this season.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anarkii posted:

Delegate wise it's not a huge difference, but momentum and story-wise, he needed to win every non-southern state today.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

so they thought he needed to narrowly win tennessee, huh? going through the current thegreenpapers counts it looks like he slightly overperformed 538's benchmarks in colorado, oklahoma, and vermont, and underperformed them, sometimes by double digits, elsewhere. i guess that feels like the way people are reacting to it. his candidacy isn't over, but it'd be hard to find a predictive model of future results that would improve its outlook on his candidacy when fed today's data

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Cruz takes Alaska, known by many as the "Crown Jewel of Caucuses."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Cruz takes Alaska, known by many as the "Crown Jewel of Caucuses."

Hey, don't knock the Caucasus. Grozny has some very beautiful 1930's architecture that has yet to be blown u- oh, nevermind, scratch that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Now Cruz can say, like Trump, he can win states in both the south and the north.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Now Cruz can say, like Trump, he can win states in both the south and the north.

He will literally say this. And it will be hilarious.

(love your av btw)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Trapezium Dave posted:

As if that not being true would have stopped Cruz from saying so in the first place.

I can't stop replaying this. There is no end to my enjoyment of this six second clip.

Joementum, I'm going to miss you. It's a shame that I'll have to rely on the real John Dickerson from here on out. Thank you.

Fix has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Truly third is the new first

Somebody call O'Malley

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
with rubio's win he gets the same number of delegates as cruz lol

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hey Joe, thanks for your service. See you in the 'verse.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just woke up and looked at the results.

Sanders is...alive? The rear end raping didn't kill him?

drat.

I'm not going to lie, I was prepared for a situation where he would only win Vermont last night.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Stay alive out there Joementum, we'll see you on the other side.

John Kasich
Feb 3, 2016

by Pragmatica
Can someone let me know if I won Vermont? I'm too afraid to look.

Feb 24, 2013

John Kasich posted:

Can someone let me know if I won Vermont? I'm too afraid to look.

Is a delegate tie with Trump a win?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Constant Hamprince posted:

Stay alive out there Joementum, we'll see you on the other side.

I missed what happened to joe.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I missed what happened to joe.

he's riding off into the sunset.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This got posted in the Texas thread, but everyone needs to read this article

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/02/newly-elected-gop-chair-texas-capitol/

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

This got posted in the Texas thread, but everyone needs to read this article

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/02/newly-elected-gop-chair-texas-capitol/

Robert Morrow posted:

“Perry is an epic hypocrite,” he told the Tribune on Wednesday. “I think he has been a rampaging bisexual adulterer for many decades.”

The whole thing is worth reading, but this bit is extra special to me.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/705011486930948096

yawn

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
WOW Cruz took Alaska overnight?

How the hell do these establishment hacks keep pushing Rubio with a straight face as the "anti-Trump"

They just lost ALL credibility.

John Kasich
Feb 3, 2016

by Pragmatica
I did it! I had an impact!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tariniparti/establishment-republicans-are-furious-with-john-kasich

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If this stays a three horse race plus 1 they may as well just hand it to Trump

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Wow, Alaska went Cruz? Neat. I had that as a chance, but not a good one.

Mild postmortem: I goofed. There's a lot of argument still about who got how many delegates last night (I flat don't trust the NYTimes model) but 538 is estimating 260 Trump, 215 Cruz, 93 Rubio.

My scenario C-for-Cruz had 258 Trump, 222 Cruz, 138 Rubio; (I included Wyoming, which was dumbo). Basically Cruz hit the absolute best case I could imagine for him, while Rubio catastrophically underperformed my absolute worst expectation and Trump did about as well as I expected he would if it was a good Rubio or Cruz night.

Now that we have a lot more data about more states and areas, and it appears very unlikely that either Carson or Kasich will drop out, I'll be projecting through to the March 15th primaries tonight.

Mukaikubo has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Mar 2, 2016

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, so Oklahoma went like 50% Bernie 40% Hillary. Who the gently caress did the other 10% vote for? Everything I see reports only Bernie and Hillary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bad Caller posted:

If this stays a three horse race plus 1 they may as well just hand it to Trump

Yes, Trump "underperformed" by winning like 8/12 states.

"He should have obliterated Rubio and Cruz so completely that they'd never work in politics again!"

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

That narrative :aaaaa:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I wonder how many people who still had delusions about their right wing media being fair and balanced see this and flip out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Totalizator posted:

I wonder how many people who still had delusions about their right wing media being fair and balanced see this and flip out.

the right wing media isn't fair and balanced enough!

• Locked thread