Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Jordy looked better when he lined up in the slot than Cobb did when Rodgers was throwing the ball, which in my mind guaranteed Randall was on the way out. Cobb's not substantially cheaper, neither is useful at positions other than WR (well I guess both are on the hands team), Rodgers will be pissed at losing either, I don't really see the logic to this but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Jordy looked better when he lined up in the slot than Cobb did when Rodgers was throwing the ball, which in my mind guaranteed Randall was on the way out. Cobb's not substantially cheaper, neither is useful at positions other than WR (well I guess both are on the hands team), Rodgers will be pissed at losing either, I don't really see the logic to this but welp.
Cobb was pretty good at returning kicks/punts at one point, but I always got nervous he'd get hurt.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The packers offense is gonna be a disaster this year but the defense will carry then for 9 wins and no playoff spot before Mike gets canned

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm kidding before any of you idiots take that seriously, but I'm just feeling very weird about the turn this organization has taken over the last few years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season now that we have Philbin back (who was responsible for these great 2007-2011 offenses) and a DC who has schemes from this decade.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't see more than a 10 win team as of right now to be honest. Look at the schedule. That's the very best case.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I don't see more than a 10 win team as of right now to be honest. Look at the schedule. That's the very best case.

Division's the same old black and blue. We play the NFC West (49ers still rebuilding, Cards are shaky, Seahawks just disassembled the Legion of Boom) and AFC East (lol Jets, Bills are probably going to start a rookie, Dolphins are rebuilding), and our two conference opponents are the Falcons and Skins.

10 wins seems about right unless we get another spate of injuries at critical positions, and if Graham et al pan out I could see more than that.

:shrug: Either way I watch for the entertainment and the journey to the playoffs, I don't expect a Super Bowl each and every single season. Seeing this team pitted against the Vikings is going to be some real good football.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think Jordy's coming back :(

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/status/973665864942870529
https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/973665108139347969

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bye Jordy. :(

I figured you had one more year here.
He must be looking to still pick up a 1-2 year contract somewhere, otherwise I think the Packers would have let him retire rather than announce a cut, no? Or does that affect cap if there's years remaining?
Just seems classier to let a guy say "I'm hanging them up" on his own terms, regardless of the backroom stuff after a career like that. Unless he truly does want to go elsewhere for a stint, which wouldn't bother me.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Me:

https://i.imgur.com/s7fZY8a.gifv

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/dailynorseman/status/973680877883613184?s=21

this is terrible and i might buy it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

they could've at least gone all out with "YOU VIKE DAT??"

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sounds like Trumaine Johnson is going to the Jets. Sooo It is really looking like the Packers only upgraded their defense with...Jimmy Graham. lol

Muhammad Wilkerson is the only other big name FA I've heard any interest in for the Packers.

yikes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mitch
needs
weaponss

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I just want to let you know I enjoyed this reference.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Bears have done pretty much exactly what I hoped they would do in free agency. If they can get one of Fuller/Amukamura or both back, I will feel outstanding about this off-season.

Bears have won the first day of free agency, like the vaunted 2011 Philadelphia Eagles and the 2015 Miami Dolphins. I think we all know how this is going to end. :suicide:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers picked up Mo Wilkerson. That defensive line was just outside the top 10 in 2017 even with all the weaknesses in the secondary... and adding Wilkerson to that -- assuming he's motivated again -- makes that Packers DL real potent.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers picked up Mo Wilkerson. That defensive line was just outside the top 10 in 2017 even with all the weaknesses in the secondary... and adding Wilkerson to that -- assuming he's motivated again -- makes that Packers DL real potent.

I just hope his effort level stays consistent with what it's been the last two years. :v:

Otherwise, that defense might actually be scary.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
hello Lions fans. how was Haloti Ngata in September last year? think he'll have anything left in the tank?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

indigi posted:

hello Lions fans. how was Haloti Ngata in September last year? think he'll have anything left in the tank?

I think he's pretty much toast.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

Not a Lions fan, but when he was healthy, the Lions defense was actually good. When he got hurt, that defense just fell off.

If he stays healthy, he could bring great. Of course, if he could stay healthy, he wouldn't be a free agent....

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Bears were doing pretty good until they dropped $27m/3y on Amukamara

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ArgaWarga posted:

Bears were doing pretty good until they dropped $27m/3y on Amukamara

Disagree. His only issue is health. He's a low end CB1. He had a solid year matching up against other teams best receivers. $9 million a year sounds about right.

Now just being Kyle Fuller back and they've nailed it.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Sataere posted:

Disagree. His only issue is health. He's a low end CB1. He had a solid year matching up against other teams best receivers. $9 million a year sounds about right.

Now just being Kyle Fuller back and they've nailed it.

I hope you're right, I'm all about keeping him on board, that just sounds rich to me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ArgaWarga posted:

I hope you're right, I'm all about keeping him on board, that just sounds rich to me.

Oh, it definitely is, but that's the price of paying free agents instead of having a solid group of drafted players (who you can also negotiate with early, and pay less as a result.)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ArgaWarga posted:

I mean, it is about a top twenty contract for the position. But he is probably right around there for the position, so it's hard to be upset by it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bears a big winner imo from this free agency. We know that Allen Robinson can be amazingly good, Trey Burton seems like a solid tight end. Now you have to hope that Trubisky only looked mediocre because he had a bad receiver corps and not because he's mediocre.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Mike_Daniels76/status/973718396889128960
https://twitter.com/Mike_Daniels76/status/973718934225674240
https://twitter.com/mowilkerson/status/973733765708238849

Looks like Daniels was an influence for getting Mo here.

Contract stuff...

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/973735066961678336
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/973658969100181504

Veteran minimum is kind of insulting tbh. I would have offered a year at 2-3 million, but :shrug: I guess that's done with now. I wonder how the Cobb situation will play out. I hope we don't end up with Reverse Sam Shields, only one proven receiver (with multiple concussions) and a bunch of bodies behind him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
you are telling me

*looks at old depth chart*

Number one receiver Josh Bellamy isn't a sign of a bad receiving core.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Corps

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am happy with the Bears signings. Robinson has question marks but it's not a huge deal for a #1 WR. Burton looks great when he plays and I have really liked Gabriel.

Burton seems a bit pricey and I'm wondering if they've already given up on Shaheen.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

I am happy with the Bears signings. Robinson has question marks but it's not a huge deal for a #1 WR. Burton looks great when he plays and I have really liked Gabriel.

Burton seems a bit pricey and I'm wondering if they've already given up on Shaheen.

Burton and Shaheen are two different types. Burton is more an h-back type tight end. Shaheen is more of an in line blocker type. Today is a very positive sign that the Bears are trying to be dynamic on offense and be able to do multiple things on offense.

I worry about the Burton price, but Eagles fans seem to love him. Also, he's not Dion Sims.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Didn't Nagy/Reid in KC run a bunch of Two TE sets?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Didn't Nagy/Reid in KC run a bunch of Two TE sets?

Probably. The Eagles certainly did and it's the same offense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

Burton and Shaheen are two different types. Burton is more an h-back type tight end. Shaheen is more of an in line blocker type. Today is a very positive sign that the Bears are trying to be dynamic on offense and be able to do multiple things on offense.

I worry about the Burton price, but Eagles fans seem to love him. Also, he's not Dion Sims.

shaheen's a really lovely blocker that was supposed to have crazy athleticism and appeared to be incapable of anything. then again, john fox

Bears FA moves are all good, question is if they pay off. Looks like depth is finally starting to build up - other than a few linebacker spots they have starters everywhere now , even before the draft. Offense has over a dozen guys who'll see playing time - AR15, White, Cam Meredith, Howard, Cohen, Shaheen and Burton should all see touches

they need to cut Sims before Friday though to save 4m

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I wish the Packers Instagram would shut the gently caress about Jordy it isn't helping my sadness

In other news wow Mo Wilkerson have the Packers ever actually made a signing that was more obvious

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh Shaheen was actually a decent blocker last year.

He had a couple of reaaaaaaallly bad reads and blocks that people remmeber(letting a that d end beat him inside on a run play) but outside of those he was fairly solid. Especially considering that was supposedly his weakness coming in, and hes coming from a D2 school.

He had a nice amount of blocks with Howard and Cohen running that opened a nice hole for them when they were running his way.

I'm not super worried about Shaheen at all yet. Considering Dowell Loggans is no longer his playcaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah shaheen and trubs may as well be rookies again this year because the coaching was so loving bad

• Locked thread