Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

this whole shitfest just started from me saying "hey reminder trump is bad" so uhh

i even changed it from yesterday's "this is not normal" which just got a wave of "well what is normal anyway"

if lived experience does not remind people day to day and hour to hour that trump is bad idk what you expect a post to do

:synpa: Balls, Edwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

GobiasIndustries posted:

True. I feel like it'd be an extra slap in the face w/ Ben tho, I mean a week ago he put out a statement saying he wasn't qualified to take that kinda job.

maybe congress will eliminate the dept of HUD before he starts, so that whole problem could be solved without any unpleasantness on his part :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Let's see how Breitbart is handling Trump's education pick

"Hey guys what if Trump is actually boldly lying about everything straight to our faces?" he said two weeks after the election

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

GobiasIndustries posted:

True. I feel like it'd be an extra slap in the face w/ Ben tho, I mean a week ago he put out a statement saying he wasn't qualified to take that kinda job.

If he goes in and listens to top level hired administrators, he'll probably do a decent job. :shrug: Partisan drift in HUD is more about how you interact with the private sector and grift then it is about the agencies goals.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

the fact you think you shouldn't resist actual actions he's going to take is the bad part though

yes, no amount of protesting or activism is going to get him kicked out really, but you can actually care about what actions he takes, get involved and follow legislation, talk to congressmen, etc.

i mean you actually did say don't do anything about what trump does until 2018, hence this discussion

yeah but in that case you kinda have to wait to see what he actually does, so you can oppose that, which requires him actualy being president. which he isnt, yet. trump himself doesnt know what the gently caress he is actually going to do, cuz hes a moron and also didnt expect to win

and to that people would probably say "yeah just wait until the fascist takeover begins to resist, im sure that will work fine"

to which i say well that the gently caress do you propose people do then. waiting and seeing is the only sensible strategy at this point

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

babypolis posted:

yeah but in that case you kinda have to wait to see what he actually does, so you can oppose that, which requires him actualy being president. which he isnt, yet. trump himself doesnt know what the gently caress he is actually going to do, cuz hes a moron and also didnt expect to win

and to that people would probably say "yeah just wait until the fascist takeover begins to resist, im sure that will work fine"

to which i say well that the gently caress do you propose people do then. waiting and seeing is the only sensible strategy at this point

let's give him a chance

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the real worrying pick that trump has made is sessions at AG. But Republican AG's are their own brand and they're all bad.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Schnorkles posted:

the funny thing is that there really aren't picks to make who will make these people happy.

The only picks they like so far are Bannon and Sessions.

if Mittens gets SOS there will be a full meltdown.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

The only picks they like so far are Bannon and Sessions.

if Mittens gets SOS there will be a full meltdown.

Bannon isn't even really a "pick."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

let's give him a chance

you didnt answer my question!!!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

maybe bannon will give him sensible advice on how to bridge the racial gap in the country

maybe sessions will help reform police departments

maybe carson will make sure no person is without affordable housing

maybe devos will turn our public education system around and help improve our performance

let's give them a chance before we get involved or do anything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean you could like call your congressman and poo poo or something.
There's a lot of stuff you can do that doesn't require the internment camp legislation to be moving through Congress yet.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
This is long and I don't really have much of a point, but I'm going to East Liverpool for Thanksgiving and I just wanted to put these thoughts about it someplace.

I'm from across the river from East Liverpool, Ohio.

If you don't know East Liverpool, and there's no reason you should, East Liverpool is where that "white working class economic anxiety" Trump voter lives. It's a town that used to be amazing. Back when there were steel mills nearby, East Liverpool was the country club city with all the fanciest stores and where the rich steel mill owners (cake eaters in the local parlance) lived. Downtown was actually bustling, like people walking on the street and dodging trolley cars bustling, all emboldened by the fact that this was the world's pottery capital (well it and the towns across the river to be fair).

When the steel industry and pottery industry stopped being profitable to the cake eaters and they hopped onto the next bandwagon of poo poo like vulture capitalism, East Liverpool got hit hard. Nowadays basically the only people you see on the sidewalks are derelicts and the only real profitable business in town is the Hot Dog Shoppe. It's that typical economically blighted hell hole that pocks either side of the Ohio River as you travel down from Pittsburgh toward Kentucky.

Around 1992-1993, a business came to town and told everyone they would have great new jobs. This business was WTI. I've long forgotten what WTI stands for and they changed their name a while ago. What WTI did was they were in the waste incineration business. That's literally what it sounds like: taking people's garbage and burning it. The company that was going to come into East Liverpool was literally a trash-burning company. People everywhere fought against it. The people across the river in West Virginia probably fought hardest. They drank Ohio River water and were concerned WTI would dump chemicals in it (they did of course). They breathed Ohio air and were afraid WTI would dump chemicals into it (they did of course). But the loudest contingent were the sooth sayers in East Liverpool, who said that WTI would soon become the place for every town around to dump their trash. And what's more, we're burning it, so it disappears and it's environmentally friendly (this was in response to the worries that landfills were filling up that were big around that time)! Bing bing bong! So simple!

In the end, the desire for those jobs won out, the incinerator got built, and it still operates today. The original plans for expansion are gone, the lofty goal of hundreds of jobs gone, it's still just one lonely small facility on the river (in the middle of the black part of town, near an elementary school of course), burning trash endlessly, and employing about 18 people. East Liverpool never got the economic boon they were promised, but they did get one of the country's worst cancer rates.

I guess what made me think of all that is that America basically just elected a giant trash fire because they were so desperate for jobs. If America starts to look anything like the hell that is East Liverpool on a larger scale, at least we'll still have the Hot Dog Shoppe.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I think what I'm really trying to articulate is that trying to explain to people that Trump is bad does not work, this was basically the entire Clinton strategy

The people who need you to tell them trump is bad are not going to be convinced by rational argument

The people with Trumpstaffel boots on their faces don't need your reminder that Trump is bad, the taste of their own blood is a pretty good reminder

So idk who that message is for. Yeah, Trump is bad. That message is either superfluous or unconvincing, depending on who you're directing it at.

I bet it makes you feel good and like you're doing something, to repeat it ad nauseum, though, which I suspect is the actual motive.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I mean Sessions stands with such luminaries as Alberto Gonzalez and John Ashcroft.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
tbh the best strategy is to send congress to this very thread so they can finally get a read on what the people want

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Aiyyo the Wednesday Night Movie is going to be one of these

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew

10 PM EST tonight

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

babypolis posted:

you didnt answer my question!!!

get involved in local political parties, get in touch with advocacy groups that work in a particular field you're interested/experienced in to see what you can do, educate others, not roll over and just hold your breath to see if trump poisons us all or only gives us tuberculosis

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
bonalb frump is bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im not saying give him a chance ffs. hes not gonna be a good president. but theres a whole range of possibilities between "standard republican corporate stooge" and "orange hitler" and we dont know where trump will fall because hes a loving moron with only vague idea of how the government works

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

maybe bannon will give him sensible advice on how to bridge the racial gap in the country

maybe sessions will help reform police departments

maybe carson will make sure no person is without affordable housing

maybe devos will turn our public education system around and help improve our performance

let's give them a chance before we get involved or do anything

can you honestly name any republican pick, anywhere, that would do these things?

Trump's cabinet looks basically like we'd expect a republican cabinet to look like other than AG. Doubly so if he selects Mittens and Mattis.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

So idk who that message is for. Yeah, Trump is bad. That message is either superfluous or unconvincing, depending on who you're directing it at.

I bet it makes you feel good and like you're doing something, to repeat it ad nauseum, though, which I suspect is the actual motive.

and again, people were immediately giving up/rationalizing after one day

also my reminder did lead to you trying to invent canadian racial slurs which was p. funny at least

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doomtalker posted:

Hey Baloogan how do you feel that the key to the election was literally p-p-p-p-p-p-peckerwoods?

lol ive been saying iit froever

Brother Friendship posted:

1) My wife wants to move to Canada so I read her Baloogan posts and tell her that's what Canada is like and she still wants to live in his attic and continue her affair with my boss's son? :shrug:

im living the canadian dream

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My wife actually has a viable path for her and me to get Canadian citizenship through her status as a First Nations tribal member up there but ruled it out because people are just as racist up there anyway.

my stepdad was adopted into an indian band up here so im totally down with indians and i keep wanting to get indian status (for purely satirical reasons)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

babypolis posted:

im not saying give him a chance ffs. hes not gonna be a good president. but theres a whole range of possibilities between "standard republican corporate stooge" and "orange hitler" and we dont know where trump will fall because hes a loving moron with only vague idea of how the government works

babypolis posted:

is standard republican something we shouldn't care about resisting now? maybe if we didn't have the bar being "literal orange hitler" as when we should get more involved we wouldn't be in this position

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

euphronius posted:

Do you think huma was ever sexted?

(Is that bad to ask?)

everybody sexts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

crazy cloud posted:

I think what I'm really trying to articulate is that trying to explain to people that Trump is bad does not work, this was basically the entire Clinton strategy

The people who need you to tell them trump is bad are not going to be convinced by rational argument

The people with Trumpstaffel boots on their faces don't need your reminder that Trump is bad, the taste of their own blood is a pretty good reminder

Trump = bad

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

Nobody is done grieving after 1 day

The patient is still in shock and bleeding out its stump

Hollering from across the border that it is not up and walking quickly enough for your liking is uhhhhhhhhhhhhh well it's not helpful

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

can you honestly name any republican pick, anywhere, that would do these things?

Trump's cabinet looks basically like we'd expect a republican cabinet to look like other than AG. Doubly so if he selects Mittens and Mattis.

...which is my point? it seems like our threshold for when we'll do more than just vote every 4 years is to the point where we shrug our shoulders if it's not sufficiently hitler-ish enough

we need a boot on the throat to actually care, and that's why we lost

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Baloogan posted:

my stepdad was adopted into an indian band up here so im totally down with indians and i keep wanting to get indian status (for purely satirical reasons)

what instrument does he play

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

...which is my point? it seems like our threshold for when we'll do more than just vote every 4 years is to the point where we shrug our shoulders if it's not sufficiently hitler-ish enough

we need a boot on the throat to actually care, and that's why we lost

we lost because our outreach and messaging to the rust belt was poo poo. :shrug:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

we lost because our outreach and messaging to the rust belt was poo poo. :shrug:

and if more people cared, maybe we would've had people who knew that was a poo poo idea involved to fix that

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Karl Sharks posted:

Bannon wants to make a coalition of White/Black working class to push out Muslims!

THE GAP WILL BE BRIDGED!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

Nobody is done grieving after 1 day

The patient is still in shock and bleeding out its stump

Hollering from across the border that it is not up and walking quickly enough for your liking is uhhhhhhhhhhhhh well it's not helpful

the people giving up were the same people who said they wouldn't, literally the day before.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

also my reminder did lead to you trying to invent canadian racial slurs which was p. funny at least

Invent nothing I'm just continuing to crib from Infinite Jest like the omega nerd I am, it's all good my maplefriend

President Donny Gentle, Famous Crooner will #MAGA and clean up America of the 'nuck scourge

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Karl Sharks posted:

and if more people cared, maybe we would've had people who knew that was a poo poo idea involved to fix that

mike rowe knew

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

Invent nothing I'm just continuing to crib from Infinite Jest like the omega nerd I am, it's all good my maplefriend

President Donny Gentle, Famous Crooner will #MAGA and clean up America of the 'nuck scourge

it's a pretty good slur tbf

like im too puzzled to be offended by it but i feel like i should be

a+

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Schnorkles posted:

I mean Sessions stands with such luminaries as Alberto Gonzalez and John Ashcroft.

The last I guy I remember, but I don't recall the former.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Some chick got half her arm blown off by a cooked concussion grenade at the DAPL protests of illegal drilling but yeah let's hold up on resisting until the whole police state thing is going full bore

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tormp bad :holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

is standard republican something we shouldn't care about resisting now? maybe if we didn't have the bar being "literal orange hitler" as when we should get more involved we wouldn't be in this position

like i said that stuff should have nothing to do with who is president! you should help people because you want to help them, regardless of which party controls goverment

• Locked thread