Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Shamed posted:

I have no idea how you guys think that looks good, even I were into the band I would still never buy or wear that shirt.

It looks like :barf:

I probably used the wrong smiley, but I'm not saying it looks good. It made me double-take so hard I almost broke my neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Interdimensional abominations from beyond space and time aren't supposed to be pretty

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
The new Devourment is indeed very, very fun.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Doing a listening party with some friends of Watching from a Distance and I'd like to add that to the list of groundbreaking albums. Probably still the best doom record ever imo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nazzadan posted:

Doing a listening party with some friends of Watching from a Distance and I'd like to add that to the list of groundbreaking albums. Probably still the best doom record ever imo

Footprints still gives me shivers.

Got to see them live back then right before they split (I know they've been playing again more recently).

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

That sounds like a bummer of a party.

Warning are fantastic though, and I have a bad good habit of bringing them up if I’m drunk and someone mentions Pallbearer.
Had the pleasure of seeing their first reunion show, where they played Watching in its entirety. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the room.

e: except my buddy who had been looking forward to it for months, then got too baked and slept through the whole set.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 15, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

We're at the tail end of the album and most of us have already heard it and we're just talking about how good it is, and the one of us that has never heard it before hasn't said a word all album until the end of Bridges. The only thing he's typed all album is "This album is loving depressing."

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price
Watching from a Distance is great. Warning did a tour a couple years ago where they were playing straight through it- I caught them at the Days of Darkness date and it was awesome.

Definitely the type of music you have a good cry to.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

I've never been a fan of doom metal beyond Pentagram, but I can listen to Watching again and again. Such a great album.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nazzadan posted:

Your sure have a funny way of writing Black Sabbath.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Warning reunion tour was awesome but the best part was Thou debuting three songs from Magus on it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

During the intro, no pinch, that first little bit of the verse, pinch.

Fucks sake.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Take: Atlantean Kodex need cancelling. One example out of many:

quote:

When the iron dog is howling in the forests of the east
When summer is like winter and women are like men
When the woods are like a beggar's vest and the peasants dress like lords
When palaces are raised for soldiers - the great cleansing is near

When money turns to iron and our misery burns red
When two-hundred gulden can not buy a loaf of bread
When the heavy handed lord arrives and skins his folk alive
When laws are made which none obey - the great cleansing is near

The kodex tells of days to come - a winter without end
Who is left to tell our story as rose clouds of ash descend?
Fortress Europa falling - none left to defend
Enthroned in clouds and fire, ancient harbinger of the end

When presumption is on the rise and Christian creeds fades away
When the crucifix is torn from walls and banished to the graves
When the redcoats march the new roads - our front line the Danube
When pestilence is raging the great cleansing is at hand

The kodex tells of days to come - a winter without end
Who is left to tell our story as rose clouds of ash descend?
Fortress Europa falling - none left to defend
Enthroned in clouds and fire, ancient harbinger of the end

Sure, you can make the case that it's about the 30 years' war or whatever, and told from that perspective, but that chorus alone is definitely going to attract a certain crowd. Just like this song that is about the Crusades:

quote:

The spells of the temple bring doom to their halls
Their empire is dying, their culture will fall
Never yield! Never lay down your sword!
Drive your spears through the heart
Of the Saracen hordes
The oath has been sworn
Three spells will be cast
For Katholick Magick and metal will last

Invoking the sigil of
Saint Michael the Warrior
Defender of Europe
The first spell has been cast

Invoking the sigil of
Saint Andrew, the Martyr
Protector of Europe
The second spell has been cast

Invoking the sigil of
Saint Mary, the Virgin
Mother of Europe
The third spell has been cast

They certainly don't feel in any way ironic about this in the way that Reverend Bizarre always did with their fake Christian bigotry, plus they had completely unironic Churchill soundbites on their last album, so gently caress them. If epic heavy/doom was bigger, their fanbase would look like Sabaton's (if it doesn't already)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I started adding patches to my basket!

Need to get a vest or workshirt still though.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

I always cringe like hell at the Churchill samples but that song is about Europa, as in the Roman province Europa.

I wouldn't take anything too seriously from them. Manuel did a Bardo interview that came off really well where Bardo kept on trying to lead him into saying that Evola is cool and good (bardo is a loving idiot, but he's a good interviewer) and Manuel eventually comes out and basically says Evola is a loving idiot.

Feels like a jump, though I will definitely say their imagery attracts a bunch of deus vult idiots.

Link to the Bardo interview: http://www.bardomethodology.com/articles/2017/01/04/atlantean-kodex-interview/

Dunno. Maybe I'm just rationalizing because they're probably my favorite modern band.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Shamed posted:

I always cringe like hell at the Churchill samples but that song is about Europa, as in the Roman province Europa.
So it's about the fall of Constantinople or something? :v:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Shamed posted:

I wouldn't take anything too seriously from them. Manuel did a Bardo interview that came off really well where Bardo kept on trying to lead him into saying that Evola is cool and good (bardo is a loving idiot, but he's a good interviewer) and Manuel eventually comes out and basically says Evola is a loving idiot.

Feels like a jump, though I will definitely say their imagery attracts a bunch of deus vult idiots.

Link to the Bardo interview: http://www.bardomethodology.com/articles/2017/01/04/atlantean-kodex-interview/

Dunno. Maybe I'm just rationalizing because they're probably my favorite modern band.

I mean, they do have enough plausible deniability not to have gotten cancelled so far, but that song being about the Roman province Europa is horseshit. There's guldens and redcoats in that song. There's no references to anything specifically Roman. Europa had a front line at the Danube at one time, but it wasn't conquered from that direction or at that time. There was at least one big plague during Europa's existence, but Christianity wasn't fading at the same time. And so on and so forth *sniff*

That song's about today (well, 2013), with the thinnest veneer of "oh no this is about history, see, this says 'guldens', not 'Euros'"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It definitely reads like the kind of mythologized "Christian warriors" bullshit that neo-nazis yank themselves off to, though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thanks for reminding me about Warning now I'm listening to them and Pallbearer and Reverend Bizarre all day :catholic:

how are the other bands the RB dudes were/are in? any of em worth listening to? I tried Lord Vicar once but it was kinda boring.

e: I just learned that the Rev covered Beherit, fuckin hell I listened to Drawing Down the Moon and Engram this morning, how did I not know that

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 15, 2019

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

Smirr posted:

I mean, they do have enough plausible deniability not to have gotten cancelled so far, but that song being about the Roman province Europa is horseshit. There's guldens and redcoats in that song. There's no references to anything specifically Roman. Europa had a front line at the Danube at one time, but it wasn't conquered from that direction or at that time. There was at least one big plague during Europa's existence, but Christianity wasn't fading at the same time. And so on and so forth *sniff*

That song's about today (well, 2013), with the thinnest veneer of "oh no this is about history, see, this says 'guldens', not 'Euros'"

Was actually talking about 12 Stars and an Azure Gown, since that's the song the samples appear in. That said, yeah, Enthoned in Clouds and Fire skirts the line. Personally I've always taken it as this weird rear end concept that kinda intersects Paganism and Christianity in the Roman Empire (see The White Goddess, Sol Invictus).

God, please don't be racist. I'll ask my friend who knows the band quite well about it- I know he's left wing personally.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Shamed posted:

Was actually talking about 12 Stars and an Azure Gown, since that's the song the samples appear in. That said, yeah, Enthoned in Clouds and Fire skirts the line. Personally I've always taken it as this weird rear end concept that kinda intersects Paganism and Christianity in the Roman Empire (see The White Goddess, Sol Invictus).

God, please don't be racist. I'll ask my friend who knows the band quite well about it- I know he's left wing personally.

There's a certain subset of racist nutbars who are obsessed with that exact thing, an intersection of paganism and Christianity. They're the same kind of fuckheads that the guys in Týr really loving hate for appropriating Viking symbolism for their dumb Nazi poo poo.

Týr, by the way, are cool as hell and loving hate Nazis.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

thanks for reminding me about Warning now I'm listening to them and Pallbearer and Reverend Bizarre all day :catholic:

how are the other bands the RB dudes were/are in? any of em worth listening to? I tried Lord Vicar once but it was kinda boring.

e: I just learned that the Rev covered Beherit, fuckin hell I listened to Drawing Down the Moon and Engram this morning, how did I not know that

Spiritus Mortis is good.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Shamed posted:

Well, 12 Stars and an Azure Gown I always read as a dorky love letter to the EU by way of Europa from Greek mythology, until I actually read the lyrics, and there's Fortress Europe poo poo even in there. Also, "And I saw brothers fighting, not for honour but for gold / Enthralled by foreign agents like cattle we are sold" :jewish: (allegedly!!!)

Anyway, here's a good, pro-Christian song as a palate cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOr1t06H4c

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Finally getting a chance to listen to that Grenouille track :stare:

is there somewhere I can find out more about this band? I looked up Grenouille on bandcamp but I got synthpop.

If you're familiar with some similar material, you might recognize who it is.
(It's totally a County Medical Examiners situation)

Also, dunno if anyone nabbed, but I put my code for the download of the new Devourment up a few pages back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

my bony fealty posted:

Opium Warlords might not be to your taste but unquestionably have some of the greatest track titles of all time

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just found out Archspire are playing London on 2nd December. Gotta get tickets for that (well, a ticket).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

InsidiousMuppet posted:

If you're familiar with some similar material, you might recognize who it is.
(It's totally a County Medical Examiners situation)

I can't quite work out what you mean by this. It's three French women doing BDM inspired by a Patrick Süskind novel and musically it's full-on Brodequin worship...

:confused:

E: I tried to grab the code for the new Devourment but it said it's been used too many times.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 16, 2019

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I can't quite work out what you mean by this. It's three French women doing BDM inspired by a Patrick Süskind novel and musically it's full-on Brodequin worship...

:confused:

E: I tried to grab the code for the new Devourment but it said it's been used too many times.

It's Brodequin worship, but it's not three French women :ssh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

InsidiousMuppet posted:

It's Brodequin worship, but it's not three French women :ssh:

Is it Brodequin?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it Brodequin?

I think he's getting at that it's all Matt from Cretin/TCME/Liberteer.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I think he's getting at that it's all Matt from Cretin/TCME/Liberteer.

He does like his weird high-concept side projects. Also Cretin is active again?! Fuuuuuck yes.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Nah it's not him, but the dude does love Brodequin.
Cretin rules though, so always good to talk about them. Unrelated favorite bands that never got a ton of attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YHEQNbaKc

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
My guess is that it's Paolo. That seems to be the simplest answer to a pointless mystery.

A new Brodequin would rule though. Pointless obnoxious name-dropping: I'm friends with their new guitarist and he's been saying there are vague plans for one.

Speaking of, you should check out his other band Embodied Torment for more Brodequin worship: https://embodiedtorment.bandcamp.com/

They'll also hopefully be working on some new material sooner rather than later.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Speaking of new material, Arkaik just put out a new single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVZ8ig7YEC8

They're touring with Beyond Creation and Fallujah in September/October.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm loving pumped to work out to the new Devourment later, bro!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wachter posted:

I'm loving pumped to work out to the new Devourment later, bro!!!

Me in about an hour!!!!!!

It’s perfect metal for being physical

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm planning on joining a gym, so this is the day to do it I guess

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
This beauty came out today. Just look at the cover :allears:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4MfNBhKe3B7f4onYUHFRiU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the softness of the art looks like photoshop art that was posted on an angelfire site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

AstroWhale posted:

This beauty came out today. Just look at the cover :allears:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4MfNBhKe3B7f4onYUHFRiU

Junji Ito and Bogleech formed a DM band??