Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Are those pictures of the Taikos in the UFO catcher real, or from the game?
I honestly can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I just need a way to hook up my PS2 Taiko drum and this will be the best game ever.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looks like Kiryu's back in his old leisure suit.

Also it looks like exactly the same model as in the last two games.

mikeycp posted:

Are those pictures of the Taikos in the UFO catcher real, or from the game?
I honestly can't tell.

When I first saw the screenshot I honestly thought someone photoshopped Kiryu into a real photograph.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Also, I can't believe there isn't a substory where you are approached by two mormon guys or Nigerians trying to sell you Hip Hop clothes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Policenaut posted:

And because I missed it, here are the important folks in the Osaka chapter. I still have absolutely no idea why Akiyama is even in this game.

I would actually bet a couple bucks on him being Haruka's manager.

I just hope you don't have to "Scold" her to make her the #1 Idol. :ohdear:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I caught a shark! :stare::madmax:

Also, that was a ridiculous amount of betrayals and back-stabbings in Parts 3 and 4 of Yakuza 4. It made following who was on who's side a bit confusing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

I would actually bet a couple bucks on him being Haruka's manager.

I just hope you don't have to "Scold" her to make her the #1 Idol. :ohdear:
Sometimes she will get too willful and yes, you will have to put her in her place. This is Japan.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So another Japanese celebrity enters the Yakuza fray: a cooking guy you've probably never heard of

At least this one looks like you'll be able to notice him in game, unlike those three comedians in Dead Souls.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to see Kiryu VS Hard Gay in Yakuza 5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

I want to see Kiryu VS Hard Gay in Yakuza 5.
Hard Gay had a lifespan of like...three weeks in Japan. Somewhat longer outside.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hard Gay had a lifespan of like...three weeks in Japan. Somewhat longer outside.

He was one of the top wrestlers in Hustle for a few years until his foot exploded.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

From 2004-2006 Hard Gay was big and had a segment on a TBS variety show that I would watch when I was living there. I'm not sure if he is popular now but he would fit well in the game with all the homoerotic cross dressing snack bar poo poo (not to mention Curry man and that dude dressed as a Kappa in 4) and I'm sure the game's demographic would remember and appreciate his appearance.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
He also had a supporting role in Freshly Picked Tingle Rosey Rupee Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Ol0URmtqw

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

From 2004-2006 Hard Gay was big and had a segment on a TBS variety show that I would watch when I was living there. I'm not sure if he is popular now but he would fit well in the game with all the homoerotic cross dressing snack bar poo poo (not to mention Curry man and that dude dressed as a Kappa in 4) and I'm sure the game's demographic would remember and appreciate his appearance.
I thought Laser Ramon or however you said it had a fairly long thing, but his Hard Gay character was pretty short-lived. Oh well, I lived in the boonies, maybe it only caught up to me right as it was going away.

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

¥8,800 :stare: I know games in Japan are generally more expensive but drat. I love Yakuza but I don't know if I could justify paying that much for it. Oh who am I kidding, here take my money.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I fully anticipate throwing my money at Japan to get this game.
I'm pretty excited for it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
While we're waiting for Yakuza 5, has anyone tried out Sleeping Dogs? Is it worth playing?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hard Gay actually showed up in an advertisement for that game Devil's Third.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Macaroni posted:

While we're waiting for Yakuza 5, has anyone tried out Sleeping Dogs? Is it worth playing?

The best way I can relate Sleeping Dogs to Yakuza is that this is what game reviewers thought Yakuza was going to be when the heard "Japan's answer to GTA". It's very fun, and has a fun cobat system that's more like Arkham Asylum than Yakuza.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You know what would be awesome? If the Japanese copy of Yakuza 5 came with English subtitles. I would drop $100 in a flash.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

You know what would be awesome? If the Japanese copy of Yakuza 5 came with English subtitles. I would drop $100 in a flash.
That would be a shitload of subtitles to write for not all that much gain in sales, I think.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The Macaroni posted:

Definitely, it's one of my favorites this year. The only side games to speak of are street racing and mahjong poker, but the story's solid Hong Kong crime drama, the gameplay's tight, and the physics are ridiculous (especially when you shoot vehicles). Also, it has probably the best Hong Kong atmosphere in any game so far. Not a 1:1 scale, but the overall feeling is correct and the attention to detail is notable.

I got about 20 hours out of it, without going crazy on the repeatable missions or hidden lockboxes. I want more, but in a good way. It's satisfying without feeling like a grind.

The PC version is amazing. Runs like a dream, looks great especially with the HD textures, and it's already been patched 4 times with various bug fixes. Square's got plans for DLC as well.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Whenever I try to buy a pair of pants in that game I'm deemed not cool enough then arrested shortly after for jump kicking everyone in the store to death.

Also, new Yakuza dude loves bats. Can't wait to see the heat moves for this guy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Andriasang posted:

Sega's weekly updates on Yakuza 5 have mostly been about story and characters (like today's look at the Tojo Clan). At long last, we have some gameplay details via Famitsu.

The magazine has details on the game's battle system. This is said to be taken to the next level, with all areas redone, including motion and enemy AI.

Battles, either fights with regular street thugs or larger fights with powerful foes, blend into the game's adventure component seamlessly. When you're walking around town, you may find yourself suddenly surrounded by enemies and forced into a battle right on the spot.

We're not totally sure about this little bit, but we're hearing that the game may have a new type of "Heat Action." A Heat Action is a cinematic, context sensitive special move that you can perform once you've built up your heat gauge. Yakuza 5 has something called a "Climax Heat," which appears to be an advanced level Heat Action.

Haruka has a battle system all her own in Yakuza 5 -- a dance battle system! This takes the form of a rhythm action game set to five genres: hip hop, house, idol, jazz and rock. As you face off against rival dancers, you'll build up a gauge. Fill this up, and you'll be able to perform Dance Heat moves (equivalent to the Heat Action moves of the regular battle system).

At the end of the dance battle, Haruka will be "judged" by spectators. If she wins, her "expression power," one reflection of an idol's ability, will rise. Building up Haruka in this fashion is essential to help her come out on top in the Princess League idol tournament.

Haruka's dance battle is literally Idolmaster, right down to the Voltage Gauge. I'm loving the new seamless battle though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every single person in the entire universe called that Haruka's battle would be a dance battle, as soon as she was announced as a player character.

Anyway, about time the combat motions finally got rewritten, they've been at least 3/4 the same all the way from Yakuza 1. How much, though?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Well, I think everyone knew that Haruka's thing would be a dance off, but we were all sort of hoping she'd be knocking thugs around Sayama-style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

Well, I think everyone knew that Haruka's thing would be a dance off, but we were all sort of hoping she'd be knocking thugs around Sayama-style.

Maybe the Dance Heat moves include things like spin-kicking her opponent off-balance or beating them up with baton twirls.

KAWAII DESU NE~~~~ *(^_^)*

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Seamless battles will be nice. It kind of does get annoying loading in and out of battles, or trying to ignore them if you don't have the item that takes them out of the world.

Thanks to whoever recommended watching The Yakuza Papers. I'm about to be on the last disc :( it's pretty good.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I know I'm way behind, but I just beat Yakuza 4 on Hard last night. Never has their been such a manly final battle(s)! Still gonna use spoilers just in case:

For Tanimura: I didn't think I'd have to take out the whole police guard, just Munakata. Welp! Good thing i leveled up that combo -> arm grab -> ground arm break move. That saved my rear end too many times. It was funny making the "I will take on 100 men!" manly notion of the battle become "I will make 100...eh, 10...men run around in circles while I try to punch the guy with the gun!."

Everyone else: Akiyama vs Arai was fun. I liked that Akiyama and Tanimura didn't rip off their tops because they weren't Yakuza dudes.

I didn't think the final fights were as hard as some of the earlier ones where you aren't leveled up as much. Saejima's chapter the first time through is just brutal on Hard. Saeto the Guard and then Majima were beasts. And then the police are everywhere when you can run around. Poor Saejima never gets a break, really.

Gonna pick off a few trophies in Premium mode, then burn through Normal, and then Ex Hard. I'm fine with Yakuza 5 not coming out for another year or so since I'm still catching up. Dead Souls is cheap now, too, so I'll pick that up despite the combat problems.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Street dance battles confirmed for Haruka in Yakuza 5. :slick:

There is a bunch more info on battles on the official site, but again, it's all in Japanese in images.
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/five/battle.php?name=kenka
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/five/battle.php?name=heat
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/five/battle.php?name=effect
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/five/battle.php?name=dance

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Getting randomly stopped in the street for an impromptu dance battle is still pretty awesome, even if she isn't stomping faces.

:stare:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I am legit excited to have dance battles in the street. This had better get localized.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bocc Kob posted:

Getting randomly stopped in the street for an impromptu dance battle is still pretty awesome, even if she isn't stomping faces.

Well, he does have a knack for sculpting...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I would ask "What is he going to do with that carrot?!" but, having played a Yakuza game before, it's pretty obvious.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Bocc Kob posted:

The new Heat actions look pretty cold. :downsrim:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Saejima made that? I thought it was a store mascot and he was going to pull the carrot out and use it as a weapon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Yechezkel posted:

Saejima made that? I thought it was a store mascot and he was going to pull the carrot out and use it as a weapon.

This is the change in combat that was hinted at. The world of Yakuza as we know it has finally gotten sick of all the senseless manly violence, and all physical conflict takes the form of non-violent but no less fierce competitions of skill. This is why we have Kazuma racing taxis, Haruka dancing in the street, and Shinada at the bat. This is our first reveal of Saejima's exclusive sculpture battles. Akiyama will have financing fights, where you have to quickly navigate legalese and red tape to work out a loan before the street thugs foreclose on another home!

I bet Millenium Tower still gets destroyed somehow, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still on Akiyama's chapter in my replay (30 hours and haven't even done the #1 Idols, might skip them until the final chapter) and I kind of wish they'd had him keep his hands in his pockets during all his fighting moves.

Also who was it said that Saigo's training was super hard? I didn't do it the first time, but Jesus, it took me like 30 minutes to do every one of them. :confused:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading the description of dance battling it says that Osaka is the center for street dancing in Japan, something I didn't know (I went to Osaka briefly, I stood right where that picture of Haruka is, it's a famous spot). Though I imagine in this game, it's really going to be pop idol dancing that just happens to be on the street. If Haruka could bust out some breakdancing skills that would be a whole other ballgame though, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I didn't even think about breakdancing Haruka...now I'm going to be sad when it's not in there...

• Locked thread