Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm holding onto my 20,000 returning player pucks for the first good HUT promo pack, EA pretty regularly puts out Gold Jumbos at discounted prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

The game came out yesterday didn't it? At least I was planning on picking up after work today...

yeah that was an EA joke. I'm still waiting on amazon; after the normal service became abysmal I finally went prime and still no preorder on release day

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jack_tripper posted:

yeah that was an EA joke. I'm still waiting on amazon; after the normal service became abysmal I finally went prime and still no preorder on release day

Yeah I realized that afterwards. I just know that there was some sort of early release thing for Season Pass holders and I was wondering if I'd got the date it went on sale wrong.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I enjoyed loading the game up and seeing Komarov still on the Leafs and Kipper still in net for the Flames but somehow Grabo was actually on the Caps (albeit on wing?). The amount of rookies missing is dumb though. I wanted to add Granberg to the Leafs but he's not on his team in the SHL. Wanted to add Lindholm to Nashville but he's not on his team either.

I realized what they need to do though. When you're editing lines there should be an option right on that screen to go to player movement and there should be a list of prospects owned by that organization that includes the AHL/CHL/euro leagues and all that and you can call people up and send people down. Instead of going back and forth between player movement and edit lines, figuring out where all the prospects are, who the prospects are and moving and making sure each team has enough players and goddamn was that a slow, boring process that should've been streamlined. The menus in these games suuuuck. It's extra dumb because in the GM mode they specifically have a list of prospects to play with and why can't that be in other spots. I cannot wait for next gen menu systems.*

*NHL 15 will look and play exactly like NHL 14 and/or NHL 13

Also I joined a drop in game and the only free spot was goalie so I was like fine whatever and I let in 7 goals. Probably twice I was out of position, twice I got deked out of position, twice they scored on a 2-on-0 breakaway and once it was on the powerplay and they made a cross crease pass to score. Also I fought the other goalie twice.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Technetium posted:

I enjoyed loading the game up and seeing Komarov still on the Leafs and Kipper still in net for the Flames but somehow Grabo was actually on the Caps (albeit on wing?). The amount of rookies missing is dumb though. I wanted to add Granberg to the Leafs but he's not on his team in the SHL. Wanted to add Lindholm to Nashville but he's not on his team either.

This is weird, because I tried to do the same thing with Joel Armia and saw he wasn't there, yet there's a version of the roster (maybe it's online) where he exists.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

der juicen posted:

I have an unused gear code.

If it's not the amazon one, PM me!

In case anyone thought maybe differently, by the way, the Legends team is a loving joke this year. Absolutely ludicrous. Luongo is the goalie? Really? I will say I am really quite pleased that they put Cami Granato in though! That's really a good thing in my book. Now if they'd just fix the play by play to stop calling all women players "He" all the time.

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
1. Where do you enter in the Bauer pack code? I was able to enter in the 24 Gold Packs and the 2012 Winter Classic codes into the Offer Code Entry, but the Bauer code is too long to enter in there.

2. Is there still interest in Goon GMC? Cause I am very interested.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Texas A. Wreckus posted:

1. Where do you enter in the Bauer pack code? I was able to enter in the 24 Gold Packs and the 2012 Winter Classic codes into the Offer Code Entry, but the Bauer code is too long to enter in there.

XBL or PSN.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Aphrodite posted:

XBL or PSN.

on Xbox, specifically, mash the glowy button, press LB, and do "Redeem Code" in the Games menu or whatever one that is.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

der juicen posted:

I have an unused gear code.

Juice, can I request you trade w/ Pleads? And he trades with specialshortbus?

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
Got it thanks.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Technetium posted:

Also I fought the other goalie twice.

I feel like this is going to quickly go from "super hilarious" to "can the goalies please stop fighting each other twice per period?"

e: it would be interesting if they upped the realism by throwing people out after too many line brawls.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Robo-Pope posted:

I feel like this is going to quickly go from "super hilarious" to "can the goalies please stop fighting each other twice per period?"

e: it would be interesting if they upped the realism by throwing people out after too many line brawls.

I kept skating around fights last night, trying to take a 3rd man in penalty. Nothing happened, all it did was piss off Pleads.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Picking Dallas as your favorite team is weird looking as some parts follow the new color scheme and have new photos, while others do not. I can see how this would slip through testing, because who else would do that?

Also, everywhere the framerate could get away with being poo poo, it is. Very interesting to see the replays completely ditch half of the shaders and anti-aliasing in order to run at 30 FPS.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

I kept skating around fights last night...

YOUR "A" IS HEREBY REVOKED! :colbert:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Hockles posted:

Juice, can I request you trade w/ Pleads? And he trades with specialshortbus?

A good chance. Later though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

der juicen posted:

A good chance. Later though.

Assuming you pre-ordered at GameStop. Like he posted earlier, he wanted the Orange Bauer.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Hockles posted:

Assuming you pre-ordered at GameStop. Like he posted earlier, he wanted the Orange Bauer.

I preorder no where else!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Here's some kind of code for something NHL'14 related from cineplex. Some kind of player pack or something?

https://www.cineplex.com/easportsNHL14
Code: WMK3X4MC

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Following the SimCity model I see

Bought my first Gold pack in HUT. Best player rating is an 80 :allears:

after the starter pack, preorder gold pack, demo pack, demo tournament win pack and 2 gold jumbo packs, I have 1 player over 80, dion phaneuf

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Squibbles posted:

Here's some kind of code for something NHL'14 related from cineplex. Some kind of player pack or something?

https://www.cineplex.com/easportsNHL14
Code: WMK3X4MC

Dang! Redeemed already.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Dang! Redeemed already.

I thought it was a free to everyone thing advertising Cineplex and wouldn't be that good a boost. You can have it if you want it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
You get a code with every NHL14 combo purchased I guess. If I get another one I'll post it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
lovely kids on the official forums are complaining about how OP the hitting is.

:( God I hate children.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Are the graphics playing on an HDTV on a PS3 as grainy as they were in the demo? I played the regular game mode as well as NHL94 mode in the demo; it was clear as I'd expect in NHL94, but had a "cloudy" feel in the regular game mode.

Also, I'm considering buying this as soon as I finish the current season in my Be A GM of NHL 12. Should I hurry or wait until I find it used and save $20 in the process?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I just ordered this off Amazon for my new PS3. Anything I should know about the game before I start playing? I haven't owned an NHL game since they stopped making them for PC (NHL 2003 or 2006 I forget). Has everything switched to right stick controls how to shoot and deke? Classic 1 button press has gone the way of the dodo?

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Xtanstic posted:

So I just ordered this off Amazon for my new PS3. Anything I should know about the game before I start playing? I haven't owned an NHL game since they stopped making them for PC (NHL 2003 or 2006 I forget). Has everything switched to right stick controls how to shoot and deke? Classic 1 button press has gone the way of the dodo?

You can still use classic but you'll thank yourself if you bite the bullet and switch to the skill stick.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

der juicen posted:

lovely kids on the official forums are complaining about how OP the hitting is.

:( God I hate children.

Every year the game is pretty good out of the box and just needs a few small fixes...

...then they take everything that makes it fun and patch it out so they've now created a danglefest and it plays like NHL 10-13. If things go to the usual EA schedule, that patch will happen right around when GTA V releases which is perfect timing!

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
the hitting is always the most fun part of the game but it's really great this year

is there a goon group for eashl or drop in games or whatever people play? I never play online but I thought I'd give it a shot this year

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jack_tripper posted:

the hitting is always the most fun part of the game but it's really great this year

is there a goon group for eashl or drop in games or whatever people play? I never play online but I thought I'd give it a shot this year

Yep.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squibbles posted:

You get a code with every NHL14 combo purchased I guess. If I get another one I'll post it.

What's in an NHL 14 combo?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Aphrodite posted:

What's in an NHL 14 combo?

Popcorn, candy, pop in a collectable plastic cup

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Squibbles posted:

Popcorn, candy, pop in a collectable plastic cup

$60? Sounds about right.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Surely they wouldn't tone down hitting, the physics engine/fighting are two of it's biggest selling points. Then again the tuner set would be released after everyone has bought it.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Every year I set rosters to post-draft default and update them manually (since most of the post-CHL players are still in the visible database before EA removes them). This year, however, EA was nice enough to just make random NHL players not available. So far I can't find Scott Hannan or Grant Clitsome in the default rosters, and I've only completed three teams. This game is in desperate need of an external editor so we can just manually edit the "visible" flags in the database.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Diet Crack posted:

Surely they wouldn't tone down hitting, the physics engine/fighting are two of it's biggest selling points. Then again the tuner set would be released after everyone has bought it.
EA loving loves removing or neutering new features when the fanbase whines like the babies they are.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

EA loving loves removing or neutering new features when the fanbase whines like the babies they are.

Which is how we end up with essentially the same game every year by January. gently caress you real_scud.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What, you guys still play these things in January?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aphrodite posted:

What, you guys still play these things in January?

We have in the past. I think our last 4 or 5 person game was in May or June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tysova
Sep 10, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hockles posted:

We have in the past. I think our last 4 or 5 person game was in May or June.

The Killdozers, the resident PS3 EASHL team, got a Top 100 6-Man Team award in August :colbert:

(There were probably ~20 active 6-man teams by that point...)

• Locked thread