Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LuciferMorningstar posted:

There should be a bunch of livestreaming going on tonight and tomorrow. I doubt it will be notable, but it's there if you want it.

People are still excited and they'll still buy the game. I just don't understand why video game developers cannot wrap their heads around effective marketing and PR. It's not rocket science guys.

E: hahaha the loving neckbeards at this keynote I almost can't watch it. direct quote:

"please don't include a manual with this game. make it as hard as possible."

the keynote was actually a Q&A lol

I was at the keynote and I actually left. When you say neckbeards you honestly don't know how right you really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I was at the keynote and I actually left. When you say neckbeards you honestly don't know how right you really are.

Lol that's awesome, care to type up a trip report?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So I guess SOE is going to PAX Prime. Presumably to show everyone the same poo poo they've been showing for the past two or three months.

E: Here are some assets for the game. I'm assuming those are all the animals and guns presently in the game. I also hear that bears beat literally everything, including hordes. Because bears.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 21, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Hahahaha holy poo poo Smedley and streaming H1Z1. Reportedly, though I still need to personally confirm via a recording, but:

quote:

This stream is a complete joke so far. All he's doing is swearing, promoting dick text pics and hitler text pics in chat. Told people to move to iraq and live with ISIS people ... Calling the team pussys for thinking night time is hard, and basically said "the game is no where near ready, play dayz for now". He's running around just punching deers in the head.

No yeah the deer AI looks broken. They're just standing in a huge herd while he punches them all to death.

"Try not to just see the bugs."

And then there's the Reddit response from Smedley:

quote:

that stream was nothing more than a test. I was far too foul mouthed. First time streaming. not used to talking while I'm gaming except game comms. takes more getting used to than I thought. I'll do better.

And it was kind of all over the place because the build was somewhat broken due to some AI tweaks and messed up doors. And let me just say this right here.. We are not as good as Day Z right now which is why we haven't released it yet. Simple as that. No marketing b.s. no hype. That's just the truth.

Our goal with the development of this game is to be open and transparent about the game development process. The upside is you get up to date info. The downside is if we stream often you're going to see a lot of the same stuff. I get that it's boring sometimes and repetitive. I agree completely with that. But that's the life we lead in making games. You log in 100 times a day to see a few tiny things change. It's the nature of the beast.

quote:

the game is most certainly not ready for EA. Why would we hold it back? Do you not think we want to share the game with you guys and make money? We're not trying to taunt you guys by showing the the game. Simply showing the progress. I'm sorry if you disagree about it's readiness, but that's just how it is. We'll put it out when we iron out the issues and it feels great to us.

lol okay buddy

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 21, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

"Smedley posted:

We are releasing this year, hopefully sooner, hopefully a lot sooner

See you guys at Christmas!

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Late 2015 release confirmed

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
...people are angry that the developers realize that the game isn't even ready for a Beta at this point? I'm not sure but I think it's pretty fair to say "Our release date is on hold while we get our stuff together. Here's why;" was a good call. Honestly just seems like a bunch of pissy fans.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This is what happens when you announce your game too early. Valve figured that one out pretty quick.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I'm genuinely curious as to why game development studios seem to have such a hard time managing their developers and their time estimates. Where I work we break each task into pieces each with time estimates ranging from a few hours to a few days at most, and we only plan in detail in two-week chunks. I've been led to believe this is called Agile development, as you can re-arrange your priorities on the fly and work on the most pressing features. Don't game development studios have this? Or is it some kind of moneyman, who has no clue, that is dictating the development process, as per the marketing departments request?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Seems like a bunch of twenty-somethings living the twitch.tv
lifestyle.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

pertinent posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to why game development studios seem to have such a hard time managing their developers and their time estimates. Where I work we break each task into pieces each with time estimates ranging from a few hours to a few days at most, and we only plan in detail in two-week chunks. I've been led to believe this is called Agile development, as you can re-arrange your priorities on the fly and work on the most pressing features. Don't game development studios have this? Or is it some kind of moneyman, who has no clue, that is dictating the development process, as per the marketing departments request?

Go back a few pages and review the argument that was had. The truth of it is probably that programming is hard and can be somewhat unpredictable, especially within the confines of a project like this. Bad things happen, so delays end up being necessary. The problem is that the people who do the marketing are apparently pants-on-head retarded, as is SOE's president. They like to make ambitious claims, end up unable to meet stated goals, and then huff and puff about how they shouldn't be held accountable because video games are complicated guys.

also this:

always be closing posted:

Seems like a bunch of twenty-somethings living the twitch.tv lifestyle.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would forgive SOE for their delays upon delays if a) this was their first go around or b) weren't apparently using a tried and true game engine (Forgelight) that has been or is being used for two other MMOs (PS2 and EQNext). As it stands, after putting out or currently developing EQ, EQ2, EQNext, SWG in multiple iterations, Planetside, Planetside 2, Free Realms, The Matrix, Vanguard, and DCUO you would think they had a clue as to what they are doing.

But they don't. Because they're SOE.

However, people will continue to defend the practice of MMO developers because making games is hard, man.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

pertinent posted:

I've had this conversion with a few college friends of mine that went into video game programming while I went off and did enterprise. It always comes down to video game programmers throwing away three basic foundations of programming; time management, unit testing, and regression testing. Video game programming basically breaks down into sprints like you said just as anywhere else you would use Agile, but they don't allocate time for heavy testing of basic systems and a lot of time they just check in bad code that does not go though code reviews. So you end up tracking down and fixing more bugs that should have been caught before other layers were added in on top of that bad code. That then breaks the code on top of it and you do it all over again.

Sometimes its just laziness, other times its a management issue with unrealistic deadlines, but its always, ALWAYS a process issue.

We always end up agreeing that video game programmers wouldn't make it more then two weeks in the enterprise if they couldn't shift over to doing things the "correct" way.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 1, 2014

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I also think part of the reason for the delay is a change in what they think they can sell and make players happy with. Basically they launched Landmark as an incomplete tech demo and got hordes of people willing to pay 100$ to play it. They probably thought let's do this for all our poo poo!

The problem is shortly after smed started talking about H1Z1 Landmark had a huge drop in players, probably due to burnout and boredom with playing something with so few features. This probably caused SOE to rethink the value of super early access in the long run.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

joebob posted:

The problem is shortly after smed started talking about H1Z1 Landmark had a huge drop in players, probably due to burnout and boredom with playing something with so few features. This probably caused SOE to rethink the value of super early access in the long run.

You know, I might find this a compelling argument if there weren't so much loving evidence supporting the idea that tons of people will spend a bunch of money on an even moderately competent take on the zombie survival MMO genre. DayZ, despite being potentially more buggy than it was at launch, is still a best-seller on Steam. Evidence exists that H1Z1 is more feature-complete than DayZ. If SOE could manage even half the success DayZ has had, I can see it doing very well financially, even if the game is a mess. A bunch of people will pony up $20 for early access, and then they'll go back and spend another few :10bux: buying cosmetics or a server or whatever.

I kind of suspect that, at this point, there is something horribly wrong with the game and SOE knows that the game is basically unplayable until the issue is addressed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kortel posted:

...people are angry that the developers realize that the game isn't even ready for a Beta at this point? I'm not sure but I think it's pretty fair to say "Our release date is on hold while we get our stuff together. Here's why;" was a good call. Honestly just seems like a bunch of pissy fans.

I made this comment a while back as well. Never quite understood what people expected/are expecting or why anyone would care that things are being delayed.

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

Stanley Pain posted:

I made this comment a while back as well. Never quite understood what people expected/are expecting or why anyone would care that things are being delayed.

The people who play these types of games are possibly the worst gaming community I have ever seen. Look at the H1Z1 subreddit. Its filled with people spending hours on mockups and suggestions for a game that isn't out yet. Not even good suggestions its usually stupid poo poo like "please make it so we can grow a beard and shave it any style we want." I wish that was an ironic suggestion but its not.

I got to play the game a little at PAX. Its making some strides. Hard to really get a feel for a survival game like H1Z1 in a short play session standing up but the world felt good and I liked being able to loot everything in a house. I died to wolves I couldn't see. :v: Zombies are still also real dumb.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's sweet SCT, what were the guns like? More war Z than day Z?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Or like planetside 2?

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.

That's sweet SCT, what were the guns like? More war Z than day Z?

I actually never found a gun before dieing but I saw some other people who were playing running around with one so I guess they aren't too hard to find? (or maybe the rates are upped for the PAX build?) The axe felt pretty good and I do like that when you hit the zombies it looks like they are really being smacked by an axe. Zombies need a lot of work though from what I saw. They would aggro you and sometimes get a hit off when on your screen they weren't remotely in range. Their animations are pretty smooth but the pathing seems a little bit off. That and either a zombie is smart and will actually fight you or it stands there sideways, confused as you lay your axe into its face.

I am still pretty excited for the game. I think it has a ton of potential they just need to make sure to take care of all the glaring issues now before they ever think about releasing the EA.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Seems like a bunch of twenty-somethings living the twitch.tv lifestyle.

quote:

Today @jimmywhis and @SattelizerGames will be showing off the newest build of #H1Z1 at 3PM PDT! http://twitch.tv/h1z1

quote:

I'm going to be playing some @H1Z1game later... First main build update in a LONG time! Tune in 3.25 hours from now! http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1

quote:

With @SattelizerGames and @greghenninger for lunch. The twitch shirt got us a seat immediately #YoungHollywood pic.twitter.com/JejITBL9be

:negative:

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
H1Z1 pre-alpha stream on twitch/themittani

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

If you've got Arma 2, it may be worth revisiting DayZ Mod for your zombie survival MMO fix. Goons have found that the Overpoch variety of servers work out pretty well, and while some things are still janky as gently caress (zombies, mainly), there's a lot of fun and stupid stuff to do. Namely running around finding guns everywhere and blowing things up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I have found that the Overpoch variety of servers work out pretty well, and while some things are still janky as gently caress (zombies, mainly)

I'd like to play the zombie game where the zombies work please.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
The problem is that DayZ boils down to a sandbox survival game deathmatch with zombies, instead of a zombie survival game; Not that there's anything wrong with that, but after your 4th or 5th hour of playing DayZ, you've figured out how to make the zombies mostly irrelevant.

I'm really hoping that this game changes that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't played DayZ but I've watched Frankie1080p play it. Dealing with zombies is pretty much like walking around a dog park and avoiding stepping in piles of poo poo.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

The SOE employees that have the tolerance to interact with the Reddit people are getting increasingly irritable in their posts, I think. Vaguely amusing to me. One of the guys posts really nice information about technical projects that normally don't get discussed, and that's kind of cool, but it also is pretty telling because they're talking about stuff that seems like it should have been done a long time ago, like integrating first and third person (more than they already have?).

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Meh this game looks dated and to have missed the hype train.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I just began reading up on this game, but I'm pretty familiar with SOE titles, has Smedley ruined this game yet?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
He was apparently a real potty-mouth during a recent stream, for what that's worth. Not sure if people were angrier about that or SOE not letting them play yet.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
There's barely any game yet to mess up, but they've had absolutely hilarious public relations.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Smedley's stream was hilariously unprofessional, just like Smedley usually is.

This is a dude who threatens to ban people's SOE account if they call him names on Twitter, tweets about how the US should execute prisoners by giving them an air embolism and that Snowden should be hanged among other stuff.

To be perfectly clear and prevent a possible derail: he's free to have political opinions I disagree with. But IMO the president of a company should maybe refrain from publicly advocating things that are against the law in a significant part of their consumer market.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

itsnice2bnice posted:

But IMO the president of a company should maybe refrain from publicly advocating things that are against the law in a significant part of their consumer market.

I agree with you and I think he's wrong in regards to a lot of his beliefs but I kind of like the idea of a flawed but communicative CEO vs a timid run everything through PR type one.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Sure, if he also talked about SOE's products in an open or informative manner. The vast majority of his Twitter feed is just garbage though, just like the Twitter feeds of the H1Z1 devs, which are mostly nonsense sprinkled with links to unrecorded Twitch streams and information that turns out to be inaccurate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I realize I might get a bit of flak for saying this, since a lot of people like to bash on the guy and I've not posted in this thread before but, I must admit that Smeds is probably one of my favourite people in the industry. Politics and beliefs aside, he's a blast to get drunk with (if you thought he was foul-mouthed on the stream, hah!) and I find his unashamed bluntness and desire to communicate refreshing in a time of relatively spineless and secretive developers. I watched the stream and found it hilarious and honestly wouldn't be as interested in H1Z1 if it had gone down any other way. He's actually a pretty cool guy to chill with irl and if you ever get the chance to you absolutely shouldn't pass it up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

joebob posted:

I agree with you and I think he's wrong in regards to a lot of his beliefs but I kind of like the idea of a flawed but communicative CEO vs a timid run everything through PR type one.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I realize I might get a bit of flak for saying this, since a lot of people like to bash on the guy and I've not posted in this thread before but, I must admit that Smeds is probably one of my favourite people in the industry. Politics and beliefs aside, he's a blast to get drunk with (if you thought he was foul-mouthed on the stream, hah!) and I find his unashamed bluntness and desire to communicate refreshing in a time of relatively spineless and secretive developers. I watched the stream and found it hilarious and honestly wouldn't be as interested in H1Z1 if it had gone down any other way. He's actually a pretty cool guy to chill with irl and if you ever get the chance to you absolutely shouldn't pass it up.

I like how getting on a Twitch stream and acting like an idiot constitutes a "flawed but communicative" CEO.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

He's still light years beyond Sergei Titov though

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

suboptimal posted:

He's still light years beyond Sergei Titov though

Surely you jest

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So is he the new John Romero ?

Its times like this that oldmanmurray.com needs to reopen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Smedley posted:

We are nearly done with the H1Z1 early access list of stuff we wanted to get in. Real happy with where we are at. Glad we spent the time

So 4-6 weeks, then, right guys??? Right???

• Locked thread