Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Lepanto episode is just adorable, but for the nerdy Dune references and the squeamishness when describing the torture of a captured garrison commander. It just makes me want to hug Dolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy cow, they let John back into the country?! :monocle:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I keep neglecting to post ITT because it's tough to talk about stuff that isn't free to the public, but the last episode on Saudi Arabia's failure in Lebanon is really great.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Is there a (good) reason Al-Saqr has the kind of meltdown when thinking about Amal Saad they usually reserve for I/P thread posts and raging about the monarchy?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autism Sneaks posted:

Is there a (good) reason Al-Saqr has the kind of meltdown when thinking about Amal Saad they usually reserve for I/P thread posts and raging about the monarchy?

I don't know much about Amal Saad, but I'm guessing Al-Saqr can't help but get brain poisoning by having public discourse filtered to him through Saudi media. He also tends to unthinkingly accept the Saudi line that Iran is attempting to "take over" Syria and Lebanon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New episode just in time for Christmas with Carl Zha, on the Rape of Nanking. :smith:

It's really good though. This is one of the few times I'd ever give a trigger warning, because they do read off some of the accounts of Japanese soldiers raping entire families, children, bayonetting children and babies. It's excruciating stuff.

e:
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/944942898331693056

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Dec 24, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Listening to EP114 now, and the last quarter of the show is about UFO disinfo from the '70s! :neckbeard:

Mark talks about a book he calls "Miracle Men", but the actual title is "Mirage Men", in case anyone goes looking for it. (Lots of "miracle men" books, mostly about religion/inspiration stuff.)

prefect has issued a correction as of 15:01 on Jan 2, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I need to relisten to the year in review episode, because I only caught like half of the Yoshio Kodama stuff, but it sounds pretty rad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carl Zha has discovered jmantime.

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/949014571171246080

coathat
May 21, 2007

I clicked like but only because of the YPJ Yui

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Anyone here keeping up with Carl Zha's new podcast? I've been meaning to check it out but haven't had the time yet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I tried to listen to a few episodes, and it's okay but he and his co-host are pretty new to this and lack the audio quality and the ability to stay on point. But that's something that improves with time.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ok i finally subbed, time to listen to the sweet dulcet of gary brecher

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helsing posted:

Anyone here keeping up with Carl Zha's new podcast? I've been meaning to check it out but haven't had the time yet.

I subscribed recently. Carl and Nate aren't professional podsters or anything, but they have good guests on sometimes and they all know their stuff on east asian history which is very compelling if you know little to nothing about it. The episodes on Korean history and the rise of nationalism & modernity in Japan are pretty great.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The ones with the Icelandic mp are real good too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really great content this week. The new episode on the Imjin Wars are a real slapper, and the newsletter about a hypothetical Iran-Saudi war is just :allears:

coathat
May 21, 2007

I really hope they can find a good Japanese guest to round out the trifecta.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Glad to see Nima Shirazi on the show, bringing together two good podcasts.

Free preview here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/preview-radio-16513242

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Going in-depth on MeK was a real trip, and a great example of why it's worth patronizing the War Nerd.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polish cavalry did not actually charge German tanks, John.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Crotch posted:

Polish cavalry did not actually charge German tanks, John.

Yeah. They actually got owned by armored cars, lmao.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait until you hear about the screen doors on their submarines

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/961664413697822721

Teasing a 30 Years War episode :allears:

e: new episode just dropped about war on the internet, with old Exiled & NSFWcorp comrade Yasha Levine as the guest.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Feb 8, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hell yes, the 30 years war will make a great episode

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The new War Nerd episode with Yasha is really loving good. It's almost 3 hours long but every minute of it is fascinating. They get caught up talking about the subject as friends that I think they end up giving too much away from Yasha's book. I had no clue ARPA was originally intended to research counter-insurgency methods.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new War Nerd episode with Yasha is really loving good. It's almost 3 hours long but every minute of it is fascinating. They get caught up talking about the subject as friends that I think they end up giving too much away from Yasha's book. I had no clue ARPA was originally intended to research counter-insurgency methods.

I'm listening to this right now and it's blowing my mind. What they REALLY don't tell you is the fact that college protest movements in the 60's were in part protesting against the ARPANET, which they saw as Big Brother surveillance. This is such a different narrative than the one Apple and Microsoft want you to believe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm listening to this right now and it's blowing my mind. What they REALLY don't tell you is the fact that college protest movements in the 60's were in part protesting against the ARPANET, which they saw as Big Brother surveillance. This is such a different narrative than the one Apple and Microsoft want you to believe.

What's really amazing is the thoroughness with which that episode is erased from all the official histories, to the point where it's a trivia for academic researchers. Yasha says himself it's all there in the archives and not hidden, so everybody writing internet histories for public consumption is editing around it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAh
Feb 19, 2018

by zen death robot
hfhf

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Feb 19, 2018

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/965651966134312962

Yasha's excellent interview is now free.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nice. it really is a great interview.

I was a bit disappointed in the 30 Years War episode because they jumped into it like the audience is already familiar with it. talking about what it was like to actually live through the war is important, but there’s no framing to understand how any of the events being described interrelate.

Mark said they’re gonna do another episode on it and they really need it. this leaned too heavily on interviewing John’s friend from Torino, which seriously limited how much time they had to talk about a very complex subject.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah it worked for me because I'm pretty familiar with the general narrative of the war. to be fair it's a pretty complicated conflict with a lot of different powers jumping in, but that doesn't excuse not having some kind of basic backgrounder to give people an idea of what the hell was going on in Europe at that time.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
thank you to this thread for reminding me to reup my subscription

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, I found it annoying because I don't know all that much about the topic. The individual vignettes are interesting, but the conversation was such a loving mess that I had to read the wikipedia entry on the war afterwards to make sense of it. :v:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nothus posted:

Yeah, I found it annoying because I don't know all that much about the topic. The individual vignettes are interesting, but the conversation was such a loving mess that I had to read the wikipedia entry on the war afterwards to make sense of it. :v:

Read Europe’s Tragedy if you want to make extremely deep sense of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You can tell how insane the political climate is in the United States now when Mark Ames has to begrudgingly defend Glenn Greenwald.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
russiagate makes for strange bedfellows

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did the RSS feed break for anyone else?

e: mark fixed it :3

Phone has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Feb 26, 2018

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
The latest episode was fantastic, it's great to hear someone talk about the loyalist paramilitaries' collusion with the british state and neo-nazi links since the media on both sides of the border often likes to pretend that never happened. My only small issue is i think john is underestimating the importance of abstentionism to sinn fein's base. I've noticed a lot of american leftists having trouble with that since the UK election last year.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tag youre fat posted:

The latest episode was fantastic, it's great to hear someone talk about the loyalist paramilitaries' collusion with the british state and neo-nazi links since the media on both sides of the border often likes to pretend that never happened. My only small issue is i think john is underestimating the importance of abstentionism to sinn fein's base. I've noticed a lot of american leftists having trouble with that since the UK election last year.

because it’s a principle without efficacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
here, have some more drivel from Roy Gutman.

the war nerd sighed as he drew his katana