Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I was surprised how lifeless the end to this stunt is even in the final movie, where they have to hide that his momentum completely dies:

http://i.imgur.com/G6k4U9Q.gifv

There's definitely things I liked about the movie, particularly what funny parts there were, but I was surprised how little I enjoyed this as a car movie.

I never noticed that first truck reversing out, I thought it was parked but holy poo poo it gets close to the front of the car... :aaa:

Like that's loving PRECISION driving, gently caress the momentum thing :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is probably my favorite movie of the year. Great car chase scenes and the soundtrack was excellent. I didn't like Baby at first, but he grew on me after a while. I definitely didn't see the final act coming at all, which was cool. Edgar Wright is one of the best directors around.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I never noticed that first truck reversing out, I thought it was parked but holy poo poo it gets close to the front of the car... :aaa:

Like that's loving PRECISION driving, gently caress the momentum thing :aaaaa:

It's impressive if they actually bothered to do it for real, which makes it impressive as a matter of filmmaking, not the actual result. In terms of the actual movie, it's just a stunt that peters out at the end.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They did do it for real, it's a pretty sick stunt imo

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

They did do it for real, it's a pretty sick stunt imo

Which, while a neat bit of trivia, seems to have resulted in them having to get the car back to facing the right direction with an awkward edit.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 10, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just wanted to pop in and say how well this movie played in my theater. It's the perfect movie for anyone trying to go into a movie blind and too busy to read a bunch of reviews, good music, good car chases, and a pretty sweet romance. It's way more approachable for the average film goer than the Cornetto Trilogy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

What's awkward about it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Colonel Whitey posted:

What's awkward about it?

The way the chase scenes are cut makes you miss seeing the actual impressive stuff because it shows the actors face instead of the impressive rear end driving. It was infuriating.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bottom Liner posted:

The way the chase scenes are cut makes you miss seeing the actual impressive stuff because it shows the actors face instead of the impressive rear end driving. It was infuriating.

Best shot in the movie is the single take of baby parking the car and the camera moving in through the window to Debora saying, "ok, not a chauffeur."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

What's awkward about it?

They only "did it for real" in the sense that it's all in-camera. They did not actually do the stunt that is implied in the scene, in which a car goes into an alley at high speed, maneuvers around three trucks by spinning around, and emerges all while maintaining speed. Instead, the car changes facing and mysteriously gains momentum between shots, which undercuts the reality of the maneuver as a whole.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I definitely do not see the scene that way. It might have been even cooler if they got it all in one continuous shot but there is nothing mysterious about the physics in the way it's cut. It's still very rad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, that chase and that stunt in particular owns. I remember feeling very tense during the entire final chase/fight with Buddy in the parking garage too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I definitely do not see the scene that way. It might have been even cooler if they got it all in one continuous shot but there is nothing mysterious about the physics in the way it's cut. It's still very rad.

In the logic of that scene, how does the car go from facing backwards to facing forwards?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Serf posted:

Yeah, that chase and that stunt in particular owns. I remember feeling very tense during the entire final chase/fight with Buddy in the parking garage too.

I hated that scene. The camera work was a jerky mess and there was nothing to follow. It was Transformers level visual barf.

Ya'll need to watch some drat Steve McQueen movies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

In the logic of that scene, how does the car go from facing backwards to facing forwards?

He spins it back around 180 the opposite way. I don't get how that's unclear.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Bottom Liner posted:

I hated that scene. The camera work was a jerky mess and there was nothing to follow. It was Transformers level visual barf.

*watches 12 years a slave* that was really good, but I'm not 100% clear on the point you were trying to make here

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

He spins it back around 180 the opposite way. I don't get how that's unclear.

Buddy, I know the car ends up facing the opposite way. That was the premise of my question. But cars don't just spin around like a top unless you do something to make it happen. What was that in that scene?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Buddy, I know the car ends up facing the opposite way. That was the premise of my question. But cars don't just spin around like a top unless you do something to make it happen. What was that in that scene?

What do you want, a tutorial on how to do a 180 in a car? I don't know, I'm not a stunt driver. He did it he same way he did the first one, but the other way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Best shot in the movie is the single take of baby parking the car and the camera moving in through the window to Debora saying, "ok, not a chauffeur."

That worked because it was after it showed all of the crazy driving (instead of his face constantly).

Izzhov posted:

*watches 12 years a slave* that was really good, but I'm not 100% clear on the point you were trying to make here

Yeah, I totally missed the point Baby Driver was making by critiquing it's lovely editing :rolleyes:

Colonel Whitey posted:

What do you want, a tutorial on how to do a 180 in a car? I don't know, I'm not a stunt driver. He did it he same way he did the first one, but the other way.

His point is that Edgar Wright should show that.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 10, 2017

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I totally missed the point Baby Driver was making by critiquing it's lovely editing :rolleyes:

I am having immense difficulty figuring out how what you posted here has anything to do with my post you quoted

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

His point is that Edgar Wright should show that.

There is no need to show that again when he just showed him doing all the wheel and brake inputs at the start of the scene for the first spin. It wouldn't make the scene better. You're the guy complaining about too many cuts to the actors when you just want to see the stunts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think any scene in this movie reached the level of Transformers visual confusion. I think the only time I ever got a little lost was the second heist because I couldn't figure out who the guy chasing them was supposed to be. I think I looked away and missed the indication that he was a vet or something? Other than that I was able to follow the car scenes really well.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't understand this. Even in that gif you can see the car starting to turn in the direction it ends up after the cut. The complaints seem to be "they don't show all the action because they're showing things inside the car" and this criticism seems to be "they aren't showing what they're doing inside the car to make the action happen."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Egar Wright isn't a Fast and Furious director and he had about 1/5th the budget of one of those films. It's not a perfect shot, but it's a good one.

And it's a huge leap from Shawn of the Dead when no one could drive a car without crashing it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

There is no need to show that again when he just showed him doing all the wheel and brake inputs at the start of the scene for the first spin. It wouldn't make the scene better. You're the guy complaining about too many cuts to the actors when you just want to see the stunts.

Showing a car 180 into a tight environment then 180 the opposite way out would be an extremely impressive visual and probably the shot of the movie. Instead we get the setup, a cutaway, and then see the car going straight again. If it had showed the full stunt then cut to Baby's face being calm and collected it would have been much more rewarding for the audience instead of a tease.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

He did the first one by engaging the handbrake, which is shown in an insert shot, locking the rear wheels. With the rear wheels locked they no longer have a preference for rolling forward or backwards, and can therefore slide in any direction, so the momentum of the rear of the car can be used to swing it around. This is communicated very well in the beginning of the sequence.

At the end of the sequence, the car is almost at a dead stop. There is no momentum to use to flip the car around like that.

Note that we have gone from you protesting that "there is nothing mysterious about the physics" to you not knowing how it's done.

Jummy posted:

I don't understand this. Even in that gif you can see the car starting to turn in the direction it ends up after the cut.

It's spinning in that direction, but slowing down, then suddenly it's turned much more and spinning faster. And then it's suddenly on a straightaway and past the third truck, without having had to maneuver around it.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Egar Wright isn't a Fast and Furious director and he had about 1/5th the budget of one of those films. It's not a perfect shot, but it's a good one.

Yeah, the comparisons to the Fast and Furious movies are a bit unfair. Where it suffers for me is in comparison to, say, the final car chase in Nightcrawler, which had a quarter of Baby Driver's budget.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 10, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sir Kodiak posted:

They only "did it for real" in the sense that it's all in-camera. They did not actually do the stunt that is implied in the scene, in which a car goes into an alley at high speed, maneuvers around three trucks by spinning around, and emerges all while maintaining speed. Instead, the car changes facing and mysteriously gains momentum between shots, which undercuts the reality of the maneuver as a whole.

It was done by a stunt driver but the exit speed looks about right in the edit when Baby is in the shot driving. It's a 180 turn to a 180 turn the other way, it's physically impossible to maintain a lot of momentum when doing something that extreme in a car, drifters have enough trouble with a reverse entry simply turning a single direction...

*edit: post your favourite reverse entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehxEymKr1s

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The shot works. It's fine. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but it clearly works for most people because that exact shot is in the trailer in that exact order and it never fails to get a reaction.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was done by a stunt driver but the exit speed looks about right in the edit when Baby is in the shot driving. It's a 180 turn to a 180 turn the other way, it's physically impossible to maintain a lot of momentum when doing something that extreme in a car, drifters have enough trouble with a reverse entry simply turning a single direction...

Exactly. The cut to the car spinning back around shows it with almost no momentum, and then the clip cuts out. I can't remember exactly what happens next, but I reckon its a shot of him accelerating again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spergatory posted:

The shot works. It's fine. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but it clearly works for most people because that exact shot is in the trailer in that exact order and it never fails to get a reaction.

The fact that it's spawned so many discussions across the internet is proof that it didn't work for everyone. It's lovely editing and it kills the momentum the scene had built.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I felt extreme embarrassment reading this page.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Bottom Liner posted:

The fact that it's spawned so many discussions across the internet is proof that it didn't work for everyone. It's lovely editing and it kills the momentum the scene had built.

You quoted where it literally says most people, not everyone.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Serf posted:

I don't think any scene in this movie reached the level of Transformers visual confusion. I think the only time I ever got a little lost was the second heist because I couldn't figure out who the guy chasing them was supposed to be. I think I looked away and missed the indication that he was a vet or something? Other than that I was able to follow the car scenes really well.

Edgar Wright said in an AMA that it was supposed to be a former Marine, based on some stickers on his truck and the gun in his cupholder or whatever.

It initially confused me too, since he reacted like he was waiting for the heist to go down, rather than put the pieces together and decided to play vigilante. Both ideas are dumb IMO.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

He did the first one by engaging the handbrake, which is shown in an insert shot, locking the rear wheels. With the rear wheels locked they no longer have a preference for rolling forward or backwards, and can therefore slide in any direction, so the momentum of the rear of the car can be used to swing it around. This is communicated very well in the beginning of the sequence.

At the end of the sequence, the car is almost at a dead stop. There is no momentum to use to flip the car around like that.

Note that we have gone from you protesting that "there is nothing mysterious about the physics" to you not knowing how it's done.

It's spinning in that direction, but slowing down, then suddenly it's turned much more and spinning faster. And then it's suddenly on a straightaway and past the third truck, without having had to maneuver around it.

Yeah, the comparisons to the Fast and Furious movies are a bit unfair. Where it suffers for me is in comparison to, say, the final car chase in Nightcrawler, which had a quarter of Baby Driver's budget.

Of course I don't know how it's done, why would I? Most of the audience doesn't. The point is that the scene is edited in a way that doesn't "feel" off, which is the job of an editor. The car does not come to an almost complete stop as you said. And showing more inserts of him hitting the gas and turning the wheel the other way or whatever wouldn't improve the scene. The only possible improvement would be to show it all in one shot, which they either couldn't do or something looked off about it so they put in an edit. It still looks great but I'm sorry that it ruined the film for you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

The only possible improvement would be to show it all in one shot

That's exactly the point, don't know why that took so long to settle.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

That's exactly the point, don't know why that took so long to settle.

No the original point was that the scene looked bad because of funky physics and bad editing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

No the original point was that the scene looked bad because of funky physics and bad editing.

Watch the gif at the top of the page and notice the pacing change in the last cut. It's awkward. The car gained a ton of momentum and is going perfectly straight instantly. It's not even the same alleyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
you guys must be real fun at parties

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Izzhov posted:

I am having immense difficulty figuring out how what you posted here has anything to do with my post you quoted

You're having immense difficulty realizing that Bottom Liner doesn't have a sense of humor? It should be pretty easy to see.

This is extreme nitpicking. If you don't like the car chases fine, but arguing about momentum and the car facing the wrong way is pedantry when you realize, yes, this is a movie, and, yes, they're not doing this for real.

And lol at the Transformers comparisons. Just lol.

Changing topic, what would be a sequel that wouldn't betray the ending? I'm thinking of him working for the FBI or something to take down a murderous bank robbery ring, turning from an convict into a hero or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I watched a magician make the Statue of Liberty disappear but I checked and it was done with mirrors and that's bullshit. ruined the magic for me

• Locked thread