Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
jack is kind of expensive for what it is imo, Evan Williams, George dickel, Seagrams 7, jim beam etc all taste about the same and are cheaper. if I'm drinking whiskey on the rocks I'll usually do makers or crown over jack any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

currently drinking blonde moose piss fresh outta BC aka cariboo

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

jack is kind of expensive for what it is imo, Evan Williams, George dickel, Seagrams 7, jim beam etc all taste about the same and are cheaper. if I'm drinking whiskey on the rocks I'll usually do makers or crown over jack any day

i can abide your preference but not your claim that they taste the same. nothing tastes like jack except jack, this is due to the lincoln county process using maple charcoal which gives it that characteristic sweetness. i can identify a jack and coke or a jack rocks purely by scent, and lol smdh if you can't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can't but i could tell it over jb i bet

jim beam must have rhe best marketing in the world to manage to convince a lot of people that it's actually good when it's prettt gross

jack daniels single barrel god i love ir

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i'm not really a whisky drinker but want to drink good whisky. what are some good whiskies for a whisky philistine to drink?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i like gin

letherbee gin is my usual choice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dislike button posted:

bulleit just opened its first disillery like last year, before it was made in a seagrams? factory along with every other 'artisinal' bourbon whiskey

ah here we go http://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana

the redemption-packaged MGP rye is tasty

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dislike button posted:

bourbon / whiskey is real good and basically the only kind of liquor i drink. scotch is gross

such an incorrect opinion

you probably just don't like Islay whisky, which is fine, the whole "peat" thing can be a bit much

try a good Speyside

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qhat posted:

i'm not really a whisky drinker but want to drink good whisky. what are some good whiskies for a whisky philistine to drink?

go to Trader Joe's and get a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12, it's a good start and all-around drinking whisky

they should also have Laphroig 10 if you want to try something really exceptionally smoky to see if that's something you like

most other whisky will have a taste somewhere on the spectrum between those two, with other notes too of course

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

go to a bar and try samples or single drinks of different whiskies to get an idea of what you like before you start spending $50+ on bottles of scotch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

eschaton posted:

go to Trader Joe's and get a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12, it's a good start and all-around drinking whisky

they should also have Laphroig 10 if you want to try something really exceptionally smoky to see if that's something you like

most other whisky will have a taste somewhere on the spectrum between those two, with other notes too of course

i find the notion that the taste spectrum of whiskey can be conveyed via two scotches so deeply and viscerally offensive that i'm inclined to put you on ignore

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

bourbon / whiskey is real good and basically the only kind of liquor i drink. scotch is gross

if you want to get into scotch and bourbon is your thing, pick up a bottle of tamdhu. it is good and you will like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's a bit like saying "if you really like cock, but want to get into chicks, you should check out transsexuals"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i... uh... yes, exactly?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i find the notion that the taste spectrum of whiskey can be conveyed via two scotches so deeply and viscerally offensive that i'm inclined to put you on ignore

lol obvs just simplifying

but smokiness is one major axis and probably the first one anyone will notice

please do drop some knowledge! this is a friendly sharing place about booze

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

i like gin

letherbee gin is my usual choice

gin is good, negronis have grown on me to be one of my favorite drinks. this is the gin i have now, but i'm instead drinking the strong poo poo beer san miguel makes called red horse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

lol obvs just simplifying

but smokiness is one major axis and probably the first one anyone will notice

please do drop some knowledge! this is a friendly sharing place about booze

alcoholism enabling

it's my bag baby

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can abide your preference but not your claim that they taste the same. nothing tastes like jack except jack, this is due to the lincoln county process using maple charcoal which gives it that characteristic sweetness. i can identify a jack and coke or a jack rocks purely by scent, and lol smdh if you can't

can someone quote this post telling this clown to shut the gently caress up, I think I'm on ignore. cheers.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

apparently there's a sick whiskey bar near me, i think i'll take a trip down there sometime with a bro of mine who knows his spirits

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

OldAlias posted:

gin is good, negronis have grown on me to be one of my favorite drinks. this is the gin i have now, but i'm instead drinking the strong poo poo beer san miguel makes called red horse

i have never seen this gin or even heard of it. not in a single well at any bar i have been to. so i googled and i find: "As of 2012, its flagship product, Ginebra San Miguel, is the largest-selling gin in the world, with sales of 23.8 million 9-litre cases"

what the gently caress IS this poo poo

e: it's from the philippines??? gin should be from london

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
if you live in america the only correct spelling is whiskey, tia

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Poopernickel posted:

if you live in america the only correct spelling is whiskey, tia

this is correct, but regardless it is irrelevant how you spell it because the bartender cannot hear the difference when you ask for a whiskey vs a whisky. if you want scotch then say scotch. if you want bourbon then say bourbon. but in america, if you ask for whiskey it is unlikely you will get scotch

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

is there supposed to be a difference in pronunciation?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
no, that's my point

but some people are into the whole "whiskey = american" vs "whisky = scottish" thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a somewhat lame argument and like who cares it looks wrong either way

should be an ie imo

whiskie

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

red horse is poo poo, stick to the regular San miguel

i love that poo poo, i get it in the us

i also love negronis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im drinking beer

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Uisce.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

echinopsis posted:

that's a bit like saying "if you really like cock, but want to get into chicks, you should check out transsexuals"

I don’t understand the sentiment entirely but I like this post

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

I don’t understand the sentiment entirely but I like this post

*tips fedora then takes swig of smirnoff ice*

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

that's irish you illiterate philistine

scots gaelic is uisge

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

can someone quote this post telling this clown to shut the gently caress up, I think I'm on ignore. cheers.

The ignore function is for cowards.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qhat posted:

for non-scotch, you can start with basic classic cocktails (manhattan, old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour) where the quality and name of the spirit is less important. feel out what you like in terms of concentration. the sugar and dilution helps bring out those good good rye/bourbon flavors

there is a whisky thread in goons with spoons that has recommendations for different types at different price levels that sees some activity these days

then, move to having a low/mid-range version of the spirit with some water (no more than 2:1 whiskey/water) to approximate the concentration you like. toss in a little simple syrup at first if you must. ice is optional at first but recommended. over time, use less and less water into just using ice

then eventually you can drink it neat, even in small (<1.5 oz) quantities

once you can drink something low/mid-range neat, you will find more expensive stuff to be worthwhile. also around the nearly undiluted/neat level of appreciation, you can then expand into scotch if you want

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 27, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JD isn't bourbon

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

i can't but i could tell it over jb i bet

jim beam must have rhe best marketing in the world to manage to convince a lot of people that it's actually good when it's prettt gross

jack daniels single barrel god i love ir
if you take the price point of jd sb and apply it to something in the jb family e.g. baker's 7, you will also love that, trust me

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
JD is loving terrible

im not a whisky snob but its very bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

off to town to buy a case or two of dead pony club to drink hanging about a music festival next week. 3.8% abv is just about right for the all-day purpose

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

big scary monsters posted:

that's irish you illiterate philistine
I've always considered myself more of a graceless peasant, but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
jack daniels belongs in the garbage